Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Coaching endowments

Posted by Weder 
Coaching endowments
Posted by: Weder (165.225.9.---)
Date: January 20, 2021 09:21AM

I noticed that at some point since the end of last season Doug Derraugh became the Everett Family Head Coach of Women's Hockey. Are those endowments supposed to cover a portion or all of the coach's salary, or does it vary from endowment to endowment? Mike Schafer's position has been endowed for some time now, I believe.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2021 09:22AM by Weder.

Re: Coaching endowments
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2021 10:44AM

Weder
I noticed that at some point since the end of last season Doug Derraugh became the Everett Family Head Coach of Women's Hockey. Are those endowments supposed to cover a portion or all of the coach's salary, or does it vary from endowment to endowment? Mike Schafer's position has been endowed for some time now, I believe.

It tends to vary from endowment to endowment, but the general aim is for a new named coaching or faculty endowment to cover at least the full salary, if not the salary and benefits, plus some of the person's budget. To endow an existing professorship at Cornell is typically $3 million, and a new professorship $5 million, these days - if I understand correctly, the minimum to endow a coaching position is $1 million, and I don't know for certain whether that would apply to a head coaching position.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 20, 2021 12:44PM

Beeeej
Weder

It tends to vary from endowment to endowment, but the general aim is for a new named coaching or faculty endowment to cover at least the full salary, if not the salary and benefits, plus some of the person's budget. To endow an existing professorship at Cornell is typically $3 million, and a new professorship $5 million, these days - if I understand correctly, the minimum to endow a coaching position is $1 million, and I don't know for certain whether that would apply to a head coaching position.

Thanks. If they follow standard drawdown rates, it sure seems like you'd want to start with at least $3 million for a coach.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2021 05:05PM

Wow. It is hard to believe that the Everett family has enough women hockey players to require a head coach.

(Yes, this is sarcastic quasi-rant against the awkwardness of auctioning off titles and the literal implications.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2021 01:10PM

If the person giving the coaching endowment includes "so long as the sport exists," otherwise it goes to Animal Rescue not the Cornell Fund, that's an incentive for Cornell not to want to shut down the sport in the future.

What is the long-term expectation for return on endowment money invested by Cornell, 5%? (We are not the Ivy leader on investment returns.) So you'd need $3 million to return $150,000, about what would cover the coach's salary and maybe some benefits.

My pet peeve is when the endowment is in the name of both spouses, maybe one of the children, and they don't have short names:
The Lurleen Matthews Wilkinson-Sword and Jeffrey Toobin Sword Family Endowed Chair takes most of the first graf of the press release. That's even wore than fitting "Glockner-Zeller" (name? sp?) on that Princeton hockey jersey of a decade ago.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2021 09:39PM

billhoward
What is the long-term expectation for return on endowment money invested by Cornell, 5%?

In 2008 it was something like -20%.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 22, 2021 02:28PM

i doubt 150K is getting it done for most of these coaches after you add in fringe stuff. thats like 50% over salary in some cases

Posted by: Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2021 03:37PM

I do not know what is required to endow a head coach. I do know in general how Cornell Endowments work. The gift buys shares in the Cornell University Long Term Investment pool. Over time the value of shares goes up like a mutual fund partially from growth in value and partially from reinvestment. The Trustees decide the reinvestment and pay out each year. In a recessions the pay out may go down. Generally the payout goes up or at least stays the same. For 2020 the payout was about 4.4% of the market value of the shares.

Date: January 22, 2021 06:06PM

Rockey
I do not know what is required to endow a head coach. I do know in general how Cornell Endowments work. The gift buys shares in the Cornell University Long Term Investment pool. Over time the value of shares goes up like a mutual fund partially from growth in value and partially from reinvestment. The Trustees decide the reinvestment and pay out each year. In a recessions the pay out may go down. Generally the payout goes up or at least stays the same. For 2020 the payout was about 4.4% of the market value of the shares.
In 2020, the Wilshire 5000 (broad echo of the stock market) was up 21%. Perhaps Cornell has a higher administrative overhead than, say, Charles Schwab. If Cornell rolled the dice, put $3.5 billion (half the endowment) on TSLA in January, that half would be worth $28 billion, plus the half held in reserve would probably be up to $5 billion.

That would be enough money to finally settle the campus store another 10 feet down into bedrock. The original intention was no one would notice the campus store, a grassy slope except for a couple skylights.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2021 06:17PM

billhoward
If Cornell rolled the dice, put $3.5 billion (half the endowment) on TSLA in January, that half would be worth $28 billion
So, what, half Harvard's endowment?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2021 06:17PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2021 07:14PM

billhoward
Rockey
In 2020, the Wilshire 5000 (broad echo of the stock market) was up 21%. Perhaps Cornell has a higher administrative overhead than, say, Charles Schwab. If Cornell rolled the dice, put $3.5 billion (half the endowment) on TSLA in January, that half would be worth $28 billion, plus the half held in reserve would probably be up to $5 billion.

That would be enough money to finally settle the campus store another 10 feet down into bedrock. The original intention was no one would notice the campus store, a grassy slope except for a couple skylights.

The payout percentage is different than the actual returns on endowment. So even if Cornell earned 20%, I don't find The 4% surprising. The Delta helps to grow the endowment, remember that you need to grow the fund to cover for inflation. Also, it provides a cushion so that payouts continue at a similar rate even in future years with low or negative returns on the fund.

Posted by: Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2021 08:53PM

Exactly right. No big pay outs and if at all possible no big decline in pay outs. In many decades of getting endowment income to manage I only recall one year where it went down and it bounced back the next year. Cornell is playing the long game. I had one endowment with the principle amount of $50 created in the late 19th century that was paying out much more than $50 per year in the 21st century.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2021 09:45PM

Rockey
Exactly right. No big pay outs and if at all possible no big decline in pay outs. In many decades of getting endowment income to manage I only recall one year where it went down and it bounced back the next year. Cornell is playing the long game. I had one endowment with the principle amount of $50 created in the late 19th century that was paying out much more than $50 per year in the 21st century.

What was the $50 endowment for?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2021 09:56PM

abmarks
Rockey

What was the $50 endowment for?

Pulleys for Mechanical Engineering ?

Date: January 28, 2021 10:27AM

Posted by: profudge (---.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 11:36AM

Really nice article -- Thank you for posting the link.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.50.---)
Date: January 29, 2021 05:14PM

So this thread isn't about "lil Mike"?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 05, 2021 09:48AM

Trotsky
billhoward
If Cornell rolled the dice, put $3.5 billion (half the endowment) on TSLA in January, that half would be worth $28 billion
So, what, half Harvard's endowment?
Harvard endowment is $42B, maybe forty-three if they got in and out of Gamestock at the right time, Yale is $30B, Stanford is $28B, Princeton is $26B. Princeton is the wealthiest school if you measure the endowment per student, with about $3 million in the bank for each of its ~9,000 students.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login