Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Greatest Game?

Posted by osorojo 
Greatest Game?
Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 01:41PM

What was the best Cornell Men's Varsity Ice Hockey game you ever attended?

Re: Greatest Game?
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 04:27PM

Here's mine

[www.tbrw.info]

2003 ECAC Championship game is a very close 2nd.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:19PM

that 2 game playoff weekend vs Colgate that we scored like a million goals.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:41PM

Two-fer-1986 ECAC semi-final vs. Yale-2OT and final-OT vs. Clarkson. Boston Garden rocked, subways closed as games went on and on. Dadswell stands on his head

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:42PM

ECAC OT win vs Harvard in Albany

Date: January 07, 2021 05:48PM

osorojo

That was my first Harvard game. Good choice. One of the bigger disappointments was this one at Lynah East. [www.tbrw.info]

Date: January 07, 2021 05:49PM

arugula
osorojo

That was my first Harvard game. Good choice. One of the bigger disappointments was this one at Lynah East. [www.tbrw.info]

Another major disappointment. The win/loss. [www.tbrw.info]

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 08:04PM

Any other old-timers attend the '66-67 NCAA semifinal game in Syracuse against North Dakota?

Posted by: arugula (---.s2163.c3-0.avec-cbr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 09:26PM

arugula
arugula
osorojo

One more. The battle of Hall of Famers. Too many losses. [www.tbrw.info]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 10:11PM

arugula
arugula
arugula
osorojo

That was a terrific game with an electric atmosphere, although a disappointing result. Some great chants including “you live in Troy” and trolling RPI coach Adessa with “the coach is fat”.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 10:12PM

How about the first game you saw freshman year.

If you're old enough, ANY tournament game you saw in old Boston Garden. If you sat in the balcony near the lip, the ground shook under your feet.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 10:18PM

Cornell - Providence, ECAC Quarterfinal 1979. Or as TBRW puts it "The Game" Box Score

Second choice would probably be the triple OT game in Green Bay in 2006.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 10:33PM

Cop at Lynah
ECAC OT win vs Harvard in Albany

Ditto.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: arugula (---.s2163.c3-0.avec-cbr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 11:31PM

scoop85
arugula
arugula
arugula
osorojo

That was a terrific game with an electric atmosphere, although a disappointing result. Some great chants including “you live in Troy” and trolling RPI coach Adessa with “the coach is fat”.

Yes, I recall "Coach is fat." He was not amused. Cleary was ok with "Coach is bald."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2021 06:55AM

Winter 1962 2-1 win over Gene Kinasewich and Harvard at packed Lynah. First big win (and a huge upset) after program revived. Hockey became a "thing" at Cornell that night.

Posted by: Troyfan (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2021 07:24AM

[www.youtube.com]

I heard it on the radio, Cornell Providence ECAC 1979 quarterfinal.

My candidate would be the 1970 National Championship vs. Clarkson. I don't remember the details even though, or because, I was there. But I think Cornell was down a goal when Dan Lodboa scored while Clarkson was on a 5 - 3 power play. He got 2 more goals to win it.

The semi was great as well. Cornell was down 1 - 0 going into the 3rd. They held Wisonsin shotless in the 3rd and won 2 - 1. They skated like men possessed!

The ECAC championship against Clarkson was a great game also. It was tied with under a minute to go when it looked like John Hughes scored on a slapper from just inside the blue line, but it was called back for offsides. Then with about 10 seconds left he scored from down low to win it.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2021 08:20AM

Cornell Providence ECAC 1979 quarterfinal. That one is in it's own universe. This is kinda personal, but that's the only game where I think my clothes were a sweaty as the players'.... THAT'S suspense!!

The 1970 ECAC Championship Game would be my distant second... God Bless Johnny Hughes!! R.I.P. John.....

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2021 09:47AM

upprdeck
that 2 game playoff weekend vs Colgate that we scored like a million goals.

Did you mean March 1-2, 1991 - Cornell 10-3, Cornell 8-1? Or did you mean March 8-9, 1996 - Cornell 8-3, Cornell 8-1 (a.k.a. "We want Weder!" )? Both weekends were pretty fantastic...

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2021 09:49AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2021 12:38PM

osorojo

If we're limiting it to in-person attendance, it's a close call. The 2003 ECAC championship game against Hahvahd is up there, but has been soured for me somewhat by intervening circumstances. The comeback against Brown on Nov. 8, 1997 where we were down 3-1 with just over 4 minutes to go, then came back to win 4-3 without needing OT, is towards the top as well - partly by virtue of being the only time I'd ever seen a game where both teams pulled their goalies for extra attackers. For pure outcome, it's probably the double-OT victory over BC in the 2003 regional finals. For absurdity and surrealism, I'll go with Union @ Cornell, December 4, 1998 - a 5-2 win for the good guys, marred by the stupidest fight I've ever seen, which included all ten skaters, plus Union goalie Leeor Shtrom skating the length of the ice to attack our netminder Ian Burt after the rest of the fighting had pretty much died down. (FYI, leaving the crease for the purpose of fighting was already a major plus game DQ before he got anywhere near the Cornell end, so Shtrom ended up with several game DQs.)

In other words, I'm really not sure.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2021 02:35PM

osorojo
Any other old-timers attend the '66-67 NCAA semifinal game in Syracuse against North Dakota?

Yes, 1-0! Beat BU the following night, 4-1, for the Championship.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2021 05:45PM

I think that Brown comeback (the "Live at Lynah" game) was the most fun, although the game was not terribly significant, and Brown ended up blowing a lot of leads that year. I think the best overall package in terms of excitement, importance, and quality of game was the 1996 ECAC Championship win over Hahvahd. (Note that I saw the 1997, 2003 and 2005 title games on TV, so they don't qualify.) Game 1 of the 2002 quintafinal series vs Yale might have had the best pivotal moment with Doug Murray's SHG to help Cornell take a 2-goal lead and never look back.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2021 06:38PM

arugula
Two-fer-1986 ECAC semi-final vs. Yale-2OT and final-OT vs. Clarkson. Boston Garden rocked, subways closed as games went on and on. Dadswell stands on his head
Same here.

That's when I changed from a Cornell hockey fan to... well... whatever this is.

Yale wins that SF in regulation and I probably go through life normal.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2021 06:40PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: January 10, 2021 12:21AM

For games I saw, yeah, the 1986 Final. Circumstances made it even better. I'd flown back east to Burlington VT on Friday for a former co-worker's wedding on Saturday, planning to catch up with another co-worker (a Clarkson grad). When we saw the semi results on Saturday morning, we started scheming excuses to leave early (it was a dry reception, anyway) and make it to Boston for the final. The whole drive down there, my buddy kept talking about the proverbial monkey on his back (e.g. Clarkson's history of blowing ECAC playoff games) - the closer we got to Boston, the bigger that monkey loomed in his mind.

So of course, we sat in our respective sections in the Gahden, and that was one hell of a game. Couldn't celebrate too loudly afterwards, though, as we were crashing at another Clarkson alum's place. But that win sure felt sweet.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2021 10:44AM

Either BC 2OT at the Dunk or Vanini scoring off the faceoff to tie Harvard in the early 90's and I leave it to Greg to immediately remember the date and post the boxscore.

Date: January 10, 2021 01:29PM

ugarte
Either BC 2OT at the Dunk or Vanini scoring off the faceoff to tie Harvard in the early 90's and I leave it to Greg to immediately remember the date and post the boxscore.

Sorry, just saw this.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-197-199.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2021 11:00PM

George64
osorojo

Yes, 1-0! Beat BU the following night, 4-1, for the Championship.

Ditto, when they came back for the 50 reunion I asked Walt Stanowski if he was offsides on his goal. I got a smile and nothing else.

But as exciting as that was, I have to agree with Bill:

“ If you're old enough, ANY tournament game you saw in old Boston Garden. If you sat in the balcony near the lip, the ground shook under your feet.”

Walking up the ramp to the rink and beating “them” in their backyard, well that’s where this

“Cornell Fans Made the Timbers Tremble", Boston Globe, March/1970

comes from.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2021 06:35AM

Jim Hyla

......“ If you're old enough, ANY tournament game you saw in old Boston Garden. If you sat in the balcony near the lip, the ground shook under your feet.”......

This is a bit off-topic, but I went to one Celtics game in the old Gahden... It was Larry Bird's first game back after missing a year due to injury... He scored 50 and I don't believe that he hit the backboard all night... He scored a 3-pointer with about a minute to go, to put the game away... I was sitting in the balcony, near the lip, and experienced the shaking ground. I thought the whole damned bldg was going to collapse with the excitement of those crazy Celtics fans. I'm not, at all, a basketball fan. But, that was one of the biggest sports thrills of my life!

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2021 03:30PM

osorojo

I can't remember.scared

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2021 08:50PM

Swampy
osorojo

I can't remember.scared
I remember it well. My problem is remembering why I opened up this internet browser tonight, before deciding to check out the important news of the world, i.e. cnn and elynah. But I'm pretty good at remembering old Big Red games.
Here's another memorable one: January '71, Harvard at Lynah. Cornell ties the game after pulling the goalie as Kevin Pettit tips in a Ron Simpson slapshot. Then Jim Higgs scores shorthanded in overtime to keep a 4-year home winning streak alive. Fast forward to Nov. 2002, and Cornell is playing at Western Michigan. The game goes into overtime and I'm sitting next to Dick Bertrand. I ask him if he remembers the first overtime game he ever coached. He says no, and I proceed to give him the above details.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2021 10:41PM

jkahn
Swampy
osorojo

I can't remember.scared
I remember it well. My problem is remembering why I opened up this internet browser tonight, before deciding to check out the important news of the world, i.e. cnn and elynah. But I'm pretty good at remembering old Big Red games.
Here's another memorable one: January '71, Harvard at Lynah. Cornell ties the game after pulling the goalie as Kevin Pettit tips in a Ron Simpson slapshot. Then Jim Higgs scores shorthanded in overtime to keep a 4-year home winning streak alive. Fast forward to Nov. 2002, and Cornell is playing at Western Michigan. The game goes into overtime and I'm sitting next to Dick Bertrand. I ask him if he remembers the first overtime game he ever coached. He says no, and I proceed to give him the above details.

Wasn't that also the game where the Harvard players wanted to take out the goal judge because they thought they won in OT?

Date: February 01, 2021 07:46AM

marty
jkahn
Swampy
osorojo

I can't remember.scared

Wasn't that also the game where the Harvard players wanted to take out the goal judge because they thought they won in OT?
That I don't recall. The other thing I remember about that day though, was that was the day that Ned Harkness got bumped up from coach to GM of the Red Wings and replaced as coach. I found out about that when I got to Lynah from Ozzie Richardson, who always occupied the seat just to the left (facing the ice) of the Cornell bench.

Date: February 02, 2021 02:33AM

jkahn
Here's another memorable one: January '71, Harvard at Lynah. Cornell ties the game after pulling the goalie as Kevin Pettit tips in a Ron Simpson slapshot. Then Jim Higgs scores shorthanded in overtime to keep a 4-year home winning streak alive.

[www.tbrw.info]

Date: February 02, 2021 02:35AM

jkahn
Fast forward to Nov. 2002, and Cornell is playing at Western Michigan. The game goes into overtime and I'm sitting next to Dick Bertrand.

October 2003 possibly?

[www.tbrw.info]

Date: February 02, 2021 11:34AM

Trotsky
jkahn
Fast forward to Nov. 2002, and Cornell is playing at Western Michigan. The game goes into overtime and I'm sitting next to Dick Bertrand.

October 2003 possibly?

[www.tbrw.info]
No. Was actually Dec. 7, 2002 -early the the Frozen Four season. And thanks to tbrw, here's the box score:
[www.tbrw.info]

Date: February 02, 2021 04:57PM

jkahn
Trotsky
jkahn

October 2003 possibly?

[www.tbrw.info]
No. Was actually Dec. 7, 2002 -early the the Frozen Four season. And thanks to tbrw, here's the box score:
[www.tbrw.info]
Ah, in Michigan. You threw me! :-)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2021 01:39PM

marty
jkahn
Swampy
osorojo

I can't remember.scared

After reading the Brandon Thomas story today I'm fairly sure the goal judge the Harvard players wanted a piece of was Mike Teeter. I remember Dennis Paese the team manager at the time quoting him. "If it was a goal I would have lit the lamp." But God knows this must be a paraphrase of what was said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login