Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Attention hockey fans . . .

Posted by George64 
Attention hockey fans . . .
Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2020 02:15PM

Particularly, those coming from Ontario, as NY Thruway has begun cashless tolls.

The following is excerpted from the Rochester D&C.

What happens if I’m a resident of another state (or Canada)?

If you don’t have E-ZPass and you’re driving a vehicle with license plates from another state, the registered owner of the vehicle will be billed by mail.

If you do have E-ZPass from another state — all or part of 18 states offer it — you can use it in New York, too. (Your toll is about to be higher, though.) It has to be a E-ZPass, as similar transponder programs like Florida’s SunPass are not accepted in New York.

Drivers from the Canadian province of Ontario will be billed by mail (and a service fee is added). That’s new as of last year, when the Thruway Authority struck a deal with the province to provide the address of the registered vehicle owner. Prior to that, Ontario drivers were encouraged to pay their bill online, but the state had no real authority to chase them down if they didn’t.

Note that the bill will be in USD, so take that into account, Canadian drivers.

A reminder: Anyone without EZPass, including out-of-state drivers, can pay their toll online within 48 hours of travel before even getting a mailed bill by visiting TollsByMailNY.com.

Re: Attention hockey fans . . .
Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 19, 2020 09:02PM

Rental cars?!

Date: November 19, 2020 10:16PM

osorojo
Rental cars?!

Again, from the D&C . . .

Some rental-car companies equip their vehicles with E-ZPass, usually as an add-on. In that case, the rental company's E-ZPass will be billed when you pass underneath a tolling gantry. But be careful: Sometimes using the rental company's E-ZPass comes with a steep per-day surcharge, so it may cost

If there's no E-ZPass in the rental car, a bill will be mailed to your rental car company. And you can bet they will pass the cost on to you and likely attach a surcharge, too.

The bottom line: Check your rental agreement first.

If you want to avoid a potential surcharge and pay before it gets to the rental company, you can pay your toll online at TollsByMailNY.com within 48 hours of travel.

Visit the website and click on the "Rental/Loaner Vehicle or Future Travel" button on the main screen. Then pop in your rental car's license plate number and a form of payment and you can pay your toll.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2020 06:57AM

George64
osorojo
Rental cars?!

Again, from the D&C . . .

Some rental-car companies equip their vehicles with E-ZPass, usually as an add-on. In that case, the rental company's E-ZPass will be billed when you pass underneath a tolling gantry. But be careful: Sometimes using the rental company's E-ZPass comes with a steep per-day surcharge, so it may cost
I add the rental car to my EZPass account for the duration of the rental and take my transponder with me if I'll be driving on a toll road.

Posted by: Troyfan (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2020 07:28AM

In MA EZ Pass was cheaper when they went to electronic tolling. Now it's higher?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2020 10:43PM

Several years ago we were driving outside Toronto and our GPS sent us onto am all-electronic tool road. Back home in Illinois a couple of months later we got a bill in the mail.
FWIW, Illinois's I-Pass is integrated with EZPass.
The big question is when will the border open up so the issue is relevant for Ontario drivers?

Date: November 21, 2020 08:08AM

David Harding
Several years ago we were driving outside Toronto and our GPS sent us onto am all-electronic tool road. Back home in Illinois a couple of months later we got a bill in the mail.

Same happened to me — I recall it was a very hefty fee. I’ve been very careful ever since when driving near Toronto.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2020 09:18AM

George64
David Harding

Same happened to me — I recall it was a very hefty fee. I’ve been very careful ever since when driving near Toronto.

This is a particularly sinister situation, since it's actually a for-profit highway run by a private company, which got Ontario to lease them the rights for 99 years, and uses the state governments of Ontario and New York as its collection enforcement arm by withholding driver's license renewal: [en.wikipedia.org]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2020 06:09PM

jtwcornell91
George64
David Harding

This is a particularly sinister situation, since it's actually a for-profit highway run by a private company, which got Ontario to lease them the rights for 99 years, and uses the state governments of Ontario and New York as its collection enforcement arm by withholding driver's license renewal: [en.wikipedia.org]
sounds like what Chicago did with the parking meters

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2020 11:29AM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
George64
David Harding

sounds like what Chicago did with the parking meters
Also in that privatized category are the Chicago Skyway (which runs to the Indiana border) and the Indiana Toll Road.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2020 02:16PM

Sounds like it's time for Tom O'Donnell again:

I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.

Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login