Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

coaches coming from the pros. is it a trend?

Posted by abmarks 
coaches coming from the pros. is it a trend?
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2020 03:31PM

While catching up on some old articles, I noticed that both Vermont and Dartmouth have hired new coaches who come directly/recently from behind an NHL bench.

my first thought is it's good for the game. but I'm wondering what the brain trust here thinks the impact might be, especially if the trend continues.

thoughts?

Re: coaches coming from the pros. is it a trend?
Posted by: Troyfan (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2020 08:27AM

A major league manager going to the minors? What's the history? What's the perception? Dealing with men is different from dealing with boys. NFL drafting is a world apart from college recruiting. No guarantees I can see one way or the other.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2020 08:36AM

Troyfan
A major league manager going to the minors? What's the history? What's the perception? Dealing with men is different from dealing with boys. NFL drafting is a world apart from college recruiting. No guarantees I can see one way or the other.

More akin to a major league pitching coach going to the minors as a manager. Nobody's hiring NHL head coaches to be NCAA head coaches, at least not that I've seen.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Troyfan (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2020 09:02AM

Didn't RPI have one of these, Seth Albert? He was pretty good for a while. Recruited pretty well but his hot head brought him down. He had a bad habit of criticizing his players publicly. Personally I think the currency of having been behind an NHL bench has been cheapened. But each case is different.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: November 09, 2020 11:45AM

- It's Seth Appert.
- From what I can tell, he did not have any previous pro-coaching experience.
- He did not accomplish anything at RPI over 11 years other than a swift 6-0 exit from the NCAAs.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 09, 2020 02:06PM

Beeeej
Troyfan

More akin to a major league pitching coach going to the minors as a manager. Nobody's hiring NHL head coaches to be NCAA head coaches, at least not that I've seen.

Except Western Michigan

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2020 02:18PM

pfibiger
Beeeej
Troyfan

Except Western Michigan

Wow, that was a hell of a get. I didn't know about him.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: abmarks (73.114.22.---)
Date: November 09, 2020 10:49PM

Beeeej
Troyfan

not sure anyone took.my post in the direction I'd intended. wasn't premising them as being more or less successful than traditional hires.

was more interested in whether coaching methods or on ice systems might shift.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2020 10:51PM by abmarks.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 04:01PM

Troyfan
Didn't RPI have one of these, Seth Albert? He was pretty good for a while. Recruited pretty well but his hot head brought him down. He had a bad habit of criticizing his players publicly. Personally I think the currency of having been behind an NHL bench has been cheapened. But each case is different.

No, but I'm pretty sure Union did. IIRC, the guy had previously worked in the Red Wings organization.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2020 08:38AM

Tony Granton at Wisconsin also has quite a bit of experience as a head coach in the NHL. Wisconsin hasn't been particularly good for a while now though

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login