Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

We'll never know.how the faithful would have greeted this UND frosh POS

Posted by abmarks 
We'll never know.how the faithful would have greeted this UND frosh POS
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2020 04:38PM

I'm surprised nobody has posted here on ELF with a link to what has been a rapidly unfolding saga. Cliffs:

UND has a freshman player who was drafted by Arizona earlier this year but due to additional media scrutiny over the last few weeks had his draft rights renounced by Arizona a few days ago and then UND kicked him off the team yesterday.

Based on public records, this kid bullied and abused a developmentally challenged, black, classmate from second grade up through the time they were 14 that culminated in a criminal conviction. The kid "admitted in juvenile court to tricking the victim into licking a push pop that had been wiped in a urinal. Accusations at the time also included repeatedly calling the victim, an African American, the N-word and "brownie.""

Unfortunately, the most detailed original reporting on this is behind a paywall at the athletic. (And the details there are so much worse than portrayed in the other articles IMHO, likely because everyone else is reporting based on the athletic's reporting and tweets by the author.)

Original article at the athletic - In case someone has access to that article)

Here is the most detailed account of what happened re the actual bullying and subsequent events that I can find and also not subject to a paywall. You'll.need.to scroll through the stuff a out the coyotes as its a long article.
[www.azcentral.com]

More recent events:
[www.collegehockeynews.com] -dismissed from und team
[www.azcentral.com] -arizona renounced rights

P.S. I do seriously wonder how bad it would have been at lynah if we had played the UND game and the kid dressed (don't remember whether the und games would have been over break or not)

Re: We'll never know.how the faithful would have greeted this UND frosh POS
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 30, 2020 04:56PM

They would have been this week or last I thought?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2020 07:17PM

Throw MAGA hats on the ice?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 30, 2020 08:51PM

it was a big deal when he was drafted. arizona basically said "we did our due diligence and knew about this and believe that he is remorseful and we will work with him to make him a better man and what a value pick in the 4th round!" and were publically pilloried because they made a very big deal about no tolerance for racism iirc.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 30, 2020 08:52PM

Trotsky
i would not want to learn how many of our players would be offended so i shall never ask

Date: October 31, 2020 12:27AM

ugarte
Trotsky
i would not want to learn how many of our players would be offended so i shall never ask
22-year old Canadian jocks do not give a shit about American politics, except insofar as they think Melania is a FLILF.

Posted by: Troyfan (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2020 07:31AM

14 year old murderers get a second chance. Why shouldn't he?

Date: November 06, 2020 02:09AM

Troyfan
14 year old murderers get a second chance. Why shouldn't he?

read the article, especially the one that quotes the mother of the kid he bullied.

to answer your question, here's the simplest reason. he never expressed any remorse,and never apologized to the victim, despite having been caught cleat on video.

no remorse, then no second chances

Date: November 06, 2020 07:33AM

I missed the part where he murdered someone I guess.

He did the crime and did his crime. He debt to society is paid. Felony convictions can't be used in employment convictions. Why should misdemeanors?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (209.239.191.---)
Date: November 06, 2020 02:01PM

Troyfan

He did the crime and did his crime. He debt to society is paid. Felony convictions can't be used in employment convictions. Why should misdemeanors?

I assume your second line was meant to say:

"He did the crime and did his time. His debt to society is paid. Felony convictions can't be used in employment (contracts, applications or I guess something like that). Why should misdemeanors?"

True, but that doesn't mean that I'd have to take him on my team.

Date: November 06, 2020 04:05PM

Troyfan

did you miss my earlier reply?

abmarks
he never expressed any remorse,and never apologized to the victim, despite having been caught cleat on video.

no remorse, then no second chances

If the kid showed remorse, took responsibility, showed initiative I'm learning and growing from the experience, working to educate people on the harms if this etc etc and I'm ANY way showing he was a changed individual who was WORTHY of a second chance, then fine.

but this kid basically shrugged, said "my bad", and went on like it never happened.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2020 06:25PM

Paying your debt may get back your right to vote.

But as for hiring the guy: I'd want to know if being a felon now out of jail, is that a protected class? Because if it's not, an employer might want to keep looking for the right candidate.

Something you wish was added, against his will, to a Tinder profile, too.

Date: November 07, 2020 05:01AM

billhoward

I'm sure there are groups where it would enhance interest.

Date: November 08, 2020 03:20PM

billhoward

But as for hiring the guy: I'd want to know if being a felon now out of jail, is that a protected class? Because if it's not, an employer might want to keep looking for the right candidate.

not protected.

I think every formal "job application form" I've filled out explicitly asks of you've been convicted of a crime other than a misdemeanor. any company with an actual hr function is going to make you fill out that form even if you didn't "apply" (you networked or were recruited in yada yada)

Date: November 08, 2020 03:21PM

billhoward

I'm a little dense this morning. elaborate?

Posted by: Weder (165.225.9.---)
Date: November 08, 2020 03:35PM

abmarks
billhoward

not protected.

I think every formal "job application form" I've filled out explicitly asks of you've been convicted of a crime other than a misdemeanor. any company with an actual hr function is going to make you fill out that form even if you didn't "apply" (you networked or were recruited in yada yada)

A majority of states prohibit asking about criminal history on applications for public-sector jobs, and a bunch of states and local jurisdictions extend that to the private sector. (This applies only to the application; criminal history can come into play later in the hiring process.)

[www.nelp.org]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2020 06:31PM

abmarks
billhoward
Sorry if it was too cryptic: The info would be worth having in Mitchell Miller's profile so a potential Tinder date or hookup knew about his propensties or bullying and violence against people with less power than him.

Date: November 08, 2020 08:37PM

billhoward
abmarks
billhoward
Sorry if it was too cryptic: The info would be worth having in Mitchell Miller's profile so a potential Tinder date or hookup knew about his propensties or bullying and violence against people with less power than him.

Than he.

Dude's a natural for D/s. As an s, of course... bullies are always begging for a beating.

Date: November 09, 2020 08:22AM

College sports are much better places to rehabilitate character than banks are. A bank robber can play college badmitton no problem. As a bank teller, it would the fox in the hen house. One might almost say it is college sports' duty to do this. Many undesirables have had their lives re-trajectorized in college and gone on to be non-criminals.

True, for every Matt Matheis there may be a Tom Riddle. But 50/50 ain't bad in the rehab business.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 09, 2020 07:26PM

To what degree of certainty do we know this person bullied anyone? In the absence of any game or even a scrimmage USCHO demoted Cornell Men's Varsity Hockey from its first-place ranking to its sixth-place ranking?! This rather dilutes faith in any reports, judgments, or rankings produced and released by USCHO.

Posted by: abmarks (73.114.22.---)
Date: November 09, 2020 10:45PM

osorojo
To what degree of certainty do we know this person bullied anyone? In the absence of any game or even a scrimmage USCHO demoted Cornell Men's Varsity Hockey from its first-place ranking to its sixth-place ranking?! This rather dilutes faith in any reports, judgments, or rankings produced and released by USCHO.

horrid trolling attempt sir.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2020 07:07AM

abmarks
osorojo

horrid trolling attempt sir.

But it does give us an excuse for this annual ritual:

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 07:08AM by jtwcornell91.

Date: November 10, 2020 11:20AM

Jesus fuck, how did you find a demon CD? That thing is scary.

Date: November 10, 2020 11:21AM

osorojo

Officer, how do you know he wasn't hanging from the tree when we found him, huh?

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 10, 2020 12:57PM

I learned to consider the source at Fred Marcham's knee. USCHO is a wretched excuse for a source.

Posted by: abmarks (73.114.21.---)
Date: November 10, 2020 05:51PM

osorojo
I learned to consider the source at Fred Marcham's knee. USCHO is a wretched excuse for a source.

you do realize that the primary original sources are the athletic, the Arizona republic or whatever it's called, the newspapers in North Dakota, etc etc.

not to mention publicly shown copies of the police reports of the incident, which mentioned video recordings, yada yada yada.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2020 04:30AM

Trotsky

It's a ceramic dalmatian for our times.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 11, 2020 05:44PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

It's a ceramic dalmatian for our times.

Demon? Looks pretty sweet to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login