Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RIP John Hughes

Posted by dbilmes 
RIP John Hughes
Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.119.---)
Date: August 19, 2020 05:26PM

Re: RIP John Hughes
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2020 06:00PM

Much too young. Very,very sad.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2020 08:13PM

Kenny Albert gave a nice tribute to John late in the Colorado-Arizona game. He mentioned that they had been talking about Ken Dryden earlier, who was on Cornell's '67 championship team, but the year after Dryden graduated, John was a captain of Cornell's undefeated 1970 national championship team, and he sent along his condolences to the family.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2023 09:07AM

John’s daughter, Olympian Sarah, is running for Congress from Long Island. Interestingly, she grew up in Great Neck, represented by Santos, but hopes to represent another district.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2023 01:09PM

George64
John’s daughter, Olympian Sarah, is running for Congress from Long Island. Interestingly, she grew up in Great Neck, represented by Santos, but hopes to represent another district.

The fact she dated Andrew Giuliani should be an automatic disqualifier.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2023 02:30PM

scoop85
George64

2011 he may still have hated his father. It's been a complicated life for that dunce.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: May 17, 2023 02:53PM

scoop85
George64

She may be Shiv, but she's our Shiv. Gotta be better than the incumbent door stop.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: May 17, 2023 04:46PM

Trotsky
scoop85
George64

She may be Shiv, but she's our Shiv. Gotta be better than the incumbent door stop.

Not sure I buy the analogy. Shiv was handed power and wealth. Sure Sarah Hughes had good skating genes and went to the finest schools alright but I would say that winning an Olympic gold medal, and one in perhaps the most high-profile event, is earning something the hard way.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2023 05:54PM

Roy 82
Trotsky
scoop85
George64

Not sure I buy the analogy. Shiv was handed power and wealth. Sure Sarah Hughes had good skating genes and went to the finest schools alright but I would say that winning an Olympic gold medal, and one in perhaps the most high-profile event, is earning something the hard way.
AFAIK Sarah grew up rich. So, yay for the medals, but at the same time, yes, if you have no other challenges in your life and can devote 100% of your energy to a hobby, you get really good at it.

I loved her skating. But tax the fuck out of John's estate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2023 05:55PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: May 17, 2023 09:59PM

Trotsky
Roy 82
Trotsky
scoop85
George64

AFAIK Sarah grew up rich. So, yay for the medals, but at the same time, yes, if you have no other challenges in your life and can devote 100% of your energy to a hobby, you get really good at it.

While you can pay for a porter to practically drag you up Mt. Everest, the level of effort and talent needed for an Olympic gold is very different. There is a big difference between "really good" and the best in the world. Sarah was competing against 1000s of kids in the US alone whose also well-off parents threw a lot of money at the best coaches and paid for private training and dreamed of Olympic glory.

(Bonus Cornell Content: Her competition did not have the Cornell-related secret methodology that made the difference: [sleeptowin.wordpress.com]
Spoiler: The secret method is to get more sleep)

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2023 08:33AM

"Forget it Jake. It's Chinatown."wank

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2023 11:26AM

"AFAIK Sarah grew up rich. So, yay for the medals, but at the same time, yes, if you have no other challenges in your life and can devote 100% of your energy to a hobby, you get really good at it. I loved her skating. But tax the fuck out of John's estate."

I read this post from the bottom up, thought, "That sounds like Trotsky. He's still pissed about mowing Gatsby's lawn."

Posted by: Redscore (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 21, 2023 07:11PM

Yup. No credit to her. She had it easy. And after people die, it’s not their money anymore. Let’s make sure we never have another Sarah because if she was poor, we would never have a medal. We would be Ghana. Cool.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2023 04:08PM

Redscore
Yup. No credit to her. She had it easy. And after people die, it’s not their money anymore. Let’s make sure we never have another Sarah because if she was poor, we would never have a medal. We would be Ghana. Cool.
i appreciate how long it took you before you gratuitously insulted an african country. the restraint was commendable.

Posted by: Redscore (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 25, 2023 09:32AM

I apologize to Ghana. it came up only because I have supported many causes there and the name just popped up. I've done more in Ghana than you know. But the rest of the message stands. I was just attacking the "rich people suck" attitude.

Date: May 25, 2023 09:51AM

Redscore
I was just attacking the "rich people suck" attitude.

Thank god someone is standing up for the real victims.

Posted by: Redscore (216.250.210.---)
Date: May 26, 2023 12:14PM

Ha ha. Funny guy. Why don't you go back and count the number of times you use the f word in your posts, angry man. Some of us come to follow the hockey team. Gosh you are bitter! Maybe you get to confiscate John Hughes’ money and retire happy.

Date: May 26, 2023 02:10PM

Come the Revolution, we will spare you in despondency for your suffering. Matthew 5:4

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2023 02:15PM

Trotsky
Come the Revolution, we will spare you in despondency for your suffering. Matthew 5:4

That's where Northeastern plays, formerly the Boston arena. Correct? :-D

Date: May 26, 2023 02:57PM

It has a great balcony.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2023 03:01PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Troyfan (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2023 07:23AM

This sorry thread makes Ariana Dumbledore's wake look like a model of decorum.

John Hughes was a great Cornellian and a great hockey player. His contributions to Cornell, the memories he helped make for those of us old enough to have them are more than enough to concern us at the moment.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-57.myvzw.com)
Date: May 27, 2023 10:27AM

Trotsky

I prefer the Old Testament.

"Thou shalt not covet."

But feel free to worry about what you don't have.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2023 12:30PM

Trotsky
Roy 82
Trotsky
scoop85
George64

This thread is embarrassing. Whether Sarah grew up wealthy has almost nothing to do with what was being discussed—Trotsky randomly mentioned it anyway, because apparently he has a quota of diatribes against wealth accumulation that he needs to satisfy. Trotsky doesn’t even know if Sarah grew up wealthy; he says “AFAIK Sarah grew up rich.” Sure, maybe she did, but I don’t know that and apparently Trotsky doesn’t either. Moreover, the majority of people who attend elite schools (including those of us posting on this forum), and especially people who go into politics, were afforded immeasurable advantages over the average American.

So here we have a forum poster arbitrarily singling out a world champion figure skater for growing up wealthy, in a thread about the death of her Cornell hockey legend father, in response to a post about her running for office, even though the poster isn’t actually sure she even did grow up wealthy, even though it has nothing to do with the subject matter, and even though having grown up wealthy is an extremely mundane quality for someone who attended an Ivy League school and is now getting into politics.

Posted by: Redscore (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 27, 2023 01:30PM

BearLover
Trotsky
Roy 82
Trotsky
scoop85
George64

This thread is embarrassing. Whether Sarah grew up wealthy has almost nothing to do with what was being discussed—Trotsky randomly mentioned it anyway, because apparently he has a quota of diatribes against wealth accumulation that he needs to satisfy. Trotsky doesn’t even know if Sarah grew up wealthy; he says “AFAIK Sarah grew up rich.” Sure, maybe she did, but I don’t know that and apparently Trotsky doesn’t either. Moreover, the majority of people who attend elite schools (including those of us posting on this forum), and especially people who go into politics, were afforded immeasurable advantages over the average American.

So here we have a forum poster arbitrarily singling out a world champion figure skater for growing up wealthy, in a thread about the death of her Cornell hockey legend father, in response to a post about her running for office, even though the poster isn’t actually sure she even did grow up wealthy, even though it has nothing to do with the subject matter, and even though having grown up wealthy is an extremely mundane quality for someone who attended an Ivy League school and is now getting into politics.

Posted by: Redscore (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 27, 2023 01:31PM

Redscore
BearLover
Trotsky
Roy 82
Trotsky
scoop85
George64

Couldn’t have said it better.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2023 01:27PM

Redscore
Redscore
BearLover
Trotsky
Roy 82
Trotsky
scoop85
George64

Couldn’t have said it better.

+1

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2023 11:32AM

BearLover
Trotsky randomly mentioned it anyway, because apparently he has a quota of diatribes against wealth accumulation that he needs to satisfy.

Did you perhaps not notice the screen name?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: May 31, 2023 12:20PM

It's a tough gig, but we struggle through.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2023 01:03PM

George64

On second thought, she says "no". [apnews.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login