Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Morgan Barron Tribute Video

Posted by JohnAshbrook 
Morgan Barron Tribute Video
Posted by: JohnAshbrook (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2020 11:06AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG52amqsc6I

Made a short video to recap Barron's time at Cornell. Enjoy!

Re: Morgan Barron Tribute Video
Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2020 11:30AM

That background music, though...:`-(

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.142.---)
Date: August 01, 2020 11:38AM

TimV
yeah... you need a remix.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2020 12:40PM

TimV
Suggestion:

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2020 01:24PM

The Rancor
TimV

I thought it was GREAT. Emoji represented an actual tear that came from my eye. Please don't change it.rock

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2020 02:50PM

TimV
The Rancor
TimV

I thought it was GREAT. Emoji represented an actual tear that came from my eye. Please don't change it.rock

++1 Geez, I (we) miss hockey.

Best of luck Morgan!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 02:51PM by Larry72.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2020 10:40PM

Larry72
TimV
The Rancor
TimV

++1 Geez, I (we) miss hockey.

Best of luck Morgan!

Really a shame. Our country's inept initial handling of the virus brought the most successful season in recent memory to an untimely end. Then, the continued ineptness made the 2020-1 season highly unlikely. It turned a toss up into a no-brainer. In the end he had only one choice that made sense.

Thanks for giving us the privilege of cheering for you. And good luck in the NHL.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2020 06:05AM

Swampy
Really a shame. Our country's inept initial handling of the virus brought the most successful season in recent memory to an untimely end. Then, the continued ineptness made the 2020-1 season highly unlikely. It turned a toss up into a no-brainer. In the end he had only one choice that made sense.

The premature end of last season was inevitable, regardless of how the situation was handled. The European leagues all cancelled their playoffs. They've managed to finish the soccer season in front of empty stadiums, but I have my doubts about large gatherings, like sporting events with fans, happening before next year, no matter what "Hygene concepts" they're proposing.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: August 03, 2020 09:39AM

jtwcornell91
Swampy

The premature end of last season was inevitable, regardless of how the situation was handled. The European leagues all cancelled their playoffs. They've managed to finish the soccer season in front of empty stadiums, but I have my doubts about large gatherings, like sporting events with fans, happening before next year, no matter what "Hygene concepts" they're proposing.

Agreed. I've been polled by the NHL a couple times asking what safety procedures I'd need to get me back in the arena. Each time I told them, "No vaccine. No getting me in the arena."

Date: August 03, 2020 09:40AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
jtwcornell91
Swampy

Agreed. I've been polled by the NHL a couple times asking what safety procedures I'd need to get me back in the arena. Each time I told them, "No vaccine. No getting me in the arena."
You should have said "no shoot outs." Every little bit helps.

Srsly if there was ever a time for the NHL to ditch OT and just have ties...

Date: August 03, 2020 09:43AM

Swampy
Thanks for giving us the privilege of cheering for you. And good luck in the NHL.

In all seriousness, thank you if you read this Morgan (spoiler: he does not read this). We greatly appreciate all your hard work and we will always remember your outstanding Cornell career. Thank you for many, many great memories.

Now go get hat tricks in numerous Rangers' 4-3 losses.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 09:43AM by Trotsky.

Date: August 05, 2020 05:52AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
jtwcornell91
Swampy

Interestingly, England has started holding cricket matches with a few spectators. Of course, that's outdoors, and in stadiums with lots of seats so fans can be kept apart.

Date: August 05, 2020 09:55AM

And it's cricket, so everybody involved in already dead.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 05, 2020 11:03AM

The Rangers is a good place for Barron to start in the NHL, but only if the front office guarantees he will be traded in three years or less. The NHL is full of winning teams enjoying the services of ex-Rangers they traded for. Professional hockey is a 100% business, not a sport
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 11:51AM by osorojo.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2020 01:21PM

Lengthy interview with Morgan; not the most polished interviewer, but Morgan shared some nice reflections on his college hockey career.

Date: September 02, 2020 02:03PM

scoop85
Lengthy interview with Morgan; not the most polished interviewer, but Morgan shared some nice reflections on his college hockey career.
Vocal fry: making adults sound like 4-year olds for the last two decades.

Morgan was great.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 11:02PM

Trotsky

I can't, like, believe that you would, like, make fun of people's voi-saysssssss.

Posted by: French Rage (104.129.202.---)
Date: September 04, 2020 01:41PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

I can't, like, believe that you would, like, make fun of people's voi-saysssssss.

Relevant: [www.today.com]

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: September 04, 2020 04:40PM

French Rage
Relevant: [www.today.com]

And complaints about it engender huffy articles like this one from NPR where—clutching pearls—we are all informed that NPR reporters are going to use their special own voices—thank you very much—whether you like them or not!

I would be concerned if a vocal tic of mine got in the way of informing or entertaining audience members; indeed, it seems like a subject for proper editorial control, but we just don't do that these days, lest someone's toesies get stepped on. There's discussion later on in the article about celebrating diversity in voices. Great! Lately, I've heard some new voices on NPR that don't fit the "General American" accent and come across very well. They make your ears perk up and listen. But vocal fry doesn't. It's not part of any accent; it's a tic that has metastasized out of the "Valley Girl" vocal patterns of the 80s. And the resulting homogeneity from how it's infecting everyone—female and male—is off-putting.

Date: September 05, 2020 10:54AM

Obviously I hate it too, but Twas Ever Thus.

If you watch a lot of old movies (and by old I mean since the 20s, not the 70's, kids) there have been a succession of these laughable tics infecting young adults thirsty to be cool. But they succeed each other inevitably and become Age Markers.

Vocal fry brands these mediocrates with the decade they turned 16, like Hippie Squawk and White Privilege Pretending to Be Charlie Parker and Ripping? Rather! Wimbletonese and for all I know Jolson Blackface. They are affectations, like how every MAGAtard sounds like Hulk Hogan or every 80's gay man sounded like Judy Garland.

It'll pass. Something worse will take it's place. Have you seen "Shameless"? Porkys Thinks It's Howard Hawks on Ridelin is next.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 11:04AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 06, 2020 12:55AM

jesus fucking christ stop trying to intellectualize how you don't like how it sounds when the women are talking

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2020 02:31AM

popcorn

Date: September 06, 2020 08:44AM

ugarte
jesus fucking christ stop trying to intellectualize how you don't like how it sounds when the women are talking

If you knew me well enough—or at all—you'd know that I'm capable of being, and reasonably qualified to be, critical of any voice I hear. I'll intellectualize about voices until the cows come home and then mull over whether there was too much or too little cowbell.

And I love female voices, just not female voices that trail off into flappy nothingness at the end of every sentence. Male voices that do that, like, say… Ira Glass's? Also completely annoying.

Use vocal fry once in a while for emphasis? Fine. Great! actually. Do it over and over? It's a tic.

Trotsky's point that "this too shall pass" is completely valid. Can't happen soon enough.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.142.---)
Date: September 06, 2020 10:07AM

My mom was a speech pathologist for 30 years, and I never heard the term vocal fry come up until about a week ago when my aunt tweeted about it. I had to google the term. Now, the debate has infested the hockey forum. HOW is THIS the suddenly pressing malady of our society?

Date: September 06, 2020 11:08AM

The Rancor
My mom was a speech pathologist for 30 years, and I never heard the term vocal fry come up until about a week ago when my aunt tweeted about it. I had to google the term. Now, the debate has infested the hockey forum. HOW is THIS the suddenly pressing malady of our society?

You do realize this is eLynah, right?

There is some pleasure in arguing about things that are ultimately inconsequential.

Date: September 06, 2020 12:05PM

Ice hockey is far too fast a game to support vocal fry. Try the crochet website.

Date: September 06, 2020 12:13PM

ugarte

Jesus fucking Christ stop trying to browbeat everybody else. We all know which conveyor belt you dropped off -- we designed it. And we all know your ego doesn't brook contradiction of your simplistic received wisdom, you don't need to keep reminding us.

You're actually getting old enough now that you'll soon be the hero who lives to see himself a villain, and the fragile gander's not gonna like that goose sauce.

Date: September 06, 2020 12:15PM

French Rage
popcorn
Accurate.

Date: September 06, 2020 09:29PM

I'd say, "just drop the puck," but I don't see that happening any time soon.

help
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 12:12PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2020 11:09PM

lol. It's like the way this forum gets into weird discussions most summers, but now we've got the endless summer.

Date: September 07, 2020 12:30AM

The Islanders are making it bearable.

Date: September 07, 2020 04:56AM

French Rage
lol. It's like the way this forum gets into weird discussions most summers, but now we've got the endless summer.

September 1993 has finally ended, and now it's going to be April 2020 for the next who-knows-how-long.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2020 11:01AM

Trotsky
ugarte

Jesus fucking Christ stop trying to browbeat everybody else. We all know which conveyor belt you dropped off -- we designed it. And we all know your ego doesn't brook contradiction of your simplistic received wisdom, you don't need to keep reminding us.

You're actually getting old enough now that you'll soon be the hero who lives to see himself a villain, and the fragile gander's not gonna like that goose sauce.
sorry that not everything you say is received the way you tell yourself it will be

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2020 12:43PM

osorojo
Ice hockey is far too fast a game to support vocal fry. Try the crochet website.

Haha. Well done so. About time one of your posts made sense ;)

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2020 07:58AM

Trotsky

Not last night, they weren't.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: September 08, 2020 09:11AM

abmarks:

I'm pleased you caught on to one of my posts.

Date: September 08, 2020 11:59AM

Beeeej
Trotsky

As H. R. Haldeman said, "a new approach is indicated."

I guess we could try stripping.

Date: September 09, 2020 10:39AM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Trotsky

It worked for Ned Braeden.

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: September 09, 2020 03:06PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Beeeej
Trotsky

It worked for Ned Braeden.

+1!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login