Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Season's Over 20-21 (Hopefully)

Posted by Trotsky 
Season's Over 20-21 (Hopefully)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:45PM

Harvard sucks but they're going to save more lives than anybody else by the time this ends.

They killed off the NC$$ death wish last year when they shut down athletics, starting the dominos that ended with the entire NC$$ being forced to do the right thing.

Welp, they just went to all online for 20-21. Presumably this means no athletics, which ought to shut down 20-21.

tl; dr: F-ck Harvard except this once. Good for them.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 01:53PM by Trotsky.

Re: Season's Over 20-21 (Hopefully)
Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-12.myvzw.com)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:51PM

Trotsky
Harvard sucks but they're going to save more lives than anybody else by the time this ends.

They killed off the NC$$ death wish last year when they shut down athletics, starting the dominos that ended with then entire NC$$ being forced to do the right thing.

Welp, they just went to all online for 20-21. Presumably this means no athletics, which ought to shut down 20-21.

tl; dr: F-ck Harvard except this once. Good for them.

Meanwhile, my school (I attend, wife teaches) is back to normal in the fall. Good for us.

Date: July 06, 2020 01:53PM

Dafatone
Meanwhile, my school (I attend, wife teaches) is back to normal in the fall. Good for us.
I'm sorry for your loss, in advance.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 02:14PM

What’s 40% of Harvard’s undergrad enrollment? So they’ll have a couple thousand students on campus?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-12.myvzw.com)
Date: July 06, 2020 02:19PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
I'm sorry for your loss, in advance.

She gets a face shield. I get to see how much weight I can throw around in law school and insist on being more online because I have a clerkship lined up after next year.

I suppose we'll see if/when they pull the plug after covid starts spreading. I've yet to see a single mask in northwest Iowa.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 02:43PM

These kids are at zero risk from this virus. Why are we trying to ruin their lives exactly?

Date: July 06, 2020 02:55PM

underskill
These kids are at zero risk from this virus.
Citation?

Date: July 06, 2020 02:56PM

Look at any chart showing death by age range? Unless Cuomo is running the campus and stuffing them in nursing homes that is.

Date: July 06, 2020 02:58PM

underskill
Look at any chart showing death by age range? Unless Cuomo is running the campus and stuffing them in nursing homes that is.

Opinions vary. Yours doesn't seem to carry much weight outside of talk radio.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 02:59PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 03:08PM

underskill
These kids are at zero risk from this virus. Why are we trying to ruin their lives exactly?

There's evidence that mild and even asymptomatic cases can result in lasting lung and organ damage.

Faculty and staff aren't young. If you think people 25 and under are at zero risk, can you guarantee that all faculty and staff will be 25 and under?

How the hell would we keep Schafer safe?

Date: July 06, 2020 03:13PM

Case counts are irrelevant if it doesn’t lead to hospitalizations. Better to have these kids with each other on campus then staying w their older parents and family members.

Date: July 06, 2020 03:17PM

underskill
Case counts are irrelevant if it doesn’t lead to hospitalizations. Better to have these kids with each other on campus then staying w their older parents and family members.

How do you figure they're irrelevant?

And more importantly, faculty and staff are older and exposed, constantly, to undergrads.

Date: July 06, 2020 03:18PM

Dafatone
underskill

There's evidence that mild and even asymptomatic cases can result in lasting lung and organ damage.

Faculty and staff aren't young. If you think people 25 and under are at zero risk, can you guarantee that all faculty and staff will be 25 and under?

We are dealing with ideology, not thinking. Let it be. #nopolitics

We don't need to discover who's a moron when all we care about is who hates Harvard sufficiently.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 03:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: July 06, 2020 03:20PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
underskill

We don't need to discover who's a moron when all we care about is who hates Harvard sufficiently.

Is now the right time to admit I hate Dartmouth more than Harvard?

Date: July 06, 2020 03:26PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
underskill

Is now the right time to admit I hate Dartmouth more than Harvard?

Dartmouth is all my fault. Cornell is something like 25-5-5 in Dartmouth games I have seen. I just stopped going.

Edit: 27-7-1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 03:30PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2020 05:09PM

underskill

Please tell Juan Garcia's family that the kids are at "zero risk."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 05:32PM

Trotsky
We don't need to discover who's a moron...
I'm beginning to think we do. The morons are causing this country to destroy itself...and too many of us with it.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 07, 2020 09:00AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
We don't need to discover who's a moron...
I'm beginning to think we do. The morons are causing this country to destroy itself...and too many of us with it.

+infinity

I tried inserting the symbol for infinity (two versions on my Mac, and I'm too lazy to look up the codes) but got a Phorum error.

Maybe I need to learn more about the Emancipation Proclamation Act (just after 2:00, a great example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect). Natural selection can't act fast enough.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 09:38AM by Swampy.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.static.firstlight.net)
Date: July 07, 2020 04:47PM

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I haven't seen anything in this decision that relates to athletics. It wouldn't be all that surprising if a disproportionate percentage of the "40%" of on-campus students happened to be athletes. That said, the Ivy League is supposed to be making some sort of announcement on July 8th.

Date: July 07, 2020 05:29PM

Give My Regards
Maybe I'm just missing it, but I haven't seen anything in this decision that relates to athletics. It wouldn't be all that surprising if a disproportionate percentage of the "40%" of on-campus students happened to be athletes. That said, the Ivy League is supposed to be making some sort of announcement on July 8th.
They haven't said anything about athletes. But other than cash I can't imagine even a desperately cynical rationale for running athletics. It's a fucking extracurricular activity. It would be like Risley holding SCA during the plague. (Actually that would be Super Hard Core!)

With education, at least involving hands-on stuff like science labs, maybe there is at least a looooooooooooooong stretch of a reason for taking the risk (spoiler: there isn't). But for sports? FFS.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 05:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: July 07, 2020 10:39PM

maybe you need to ask the kids in the sports how they feel about it. i know coaches and players want to play for the most part.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2020 02:28AM

upprdeck
maybe you need to ask the kids in the sports how they feel about it. i know coaches and players want to play for the most part.

Sign of apocalypse, I actually agree with upprdeck for once.

To call sports an extra-curricular activity is far too simplistic. We all know that there are only a small percentage of Ivy athletes that end up able to go pro in their chosen sport. But for those who have even an outside chance of going pro (or who have thoughts of becoming coaches after graduation) it's not an extrea-curricular- it's vocational training.

Date: July 08, 2020 04:52AM

upprdeck
Why would anybody listen to doctors and public policy experts when we can ask a bunch of 22-year olds?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2020 06:23AM

abmarks
upprdeck

Sign of apocalypse, I actually agree with upprdeck for once.

To call sports an extra-curricular activity is far too simplistic. We all know that there are only a small percentage of Ivy athletes that end up able to go pro in their chosen sport. But for those who have even an outside chance of going pro (or who have thoughts of becoming coaches after graduation) it's not an extrea-curricular- it's vocational training.
Of course! It's much more important that kids get to play a game than have others live. Impeccable logic.:-|

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-143.myvzw.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 09:21AM

There's just no safe way to return to campus, period.

Once you accept that, how do you handle sports? You could have athletes only return, but that seems unlikely, difficult, and still not terribly safe.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: July 08, 2020 09:46AM

I think we have some mixed up perspectives on this.

If the campus is safe enough for kids to be on campus then is it safe enough for kids to play sports.

If the kids are being tested as part of the sport then them playing is not an issue of safety, they most likely will not being sick from playing the sport , but thats a function of how much testing they get.. if they are getting tested daily which may well be what happens then its pretty safe.

The issue will be how safe the kids are around each other outside the practice arena and with other students on campus and that doesnt really change if they are playing or just going to school.

In the case of hockey many of the kids have been around each other as they live together.

Look at the pro sports, in almost every case so far the people getting sick are getting outside of the sports arena and there has been very little spread inside.

But given all that I dont think the ivies are playing this fall.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 10:43AM

Dafatone
There's just no safe way to return to campus, period.

Once you accept that, how do you handle sports? You could have athletes only return, but that seems unlikely, difficult, and still not terribly safe.

I think the NCAA has already said there will be no games if there are no students on campus.

Date: July 08, 2020 11:00AM

upprdeck

If the campus is safe enough for kids to be on campus then is it safe enough for kids to play sports.

There is one mixed up perspective on this.

Perhaps you fondly remember the days of crossing the quad struggling through body checks while throwing the Archaeology students into the sundial and digging for the puck in the corners with the Linguistics majors.

You can possibly social distance as a student. You cannot in a contact sport.

And as long as there are asymptomatic carriers you cannot stop people in close proximity from becoming little vector creches.

Not to mention road trips, hotel stays, group meals, and all the other communal stuff athletes do.

And once you create wildfire infections on teams the effects spread out so even if young healthy people were not seriously affected (which they are) they will eventually infect others who are high morbidity.

It's a game. It isn't important. Ban it as a hazard until this is over.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 11:04AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-143.myvzw.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 11:43AM

Trotsky
upprdeck

There is one mixed up perspective on this.

Perhaps you fondly remember the days of crossing the quad struggling through body checks while throwing the Archaeology students into the sundial and digging for the puck in the corners with the Linguistics majors.

You can possibly social distance as a student. You cannot in a contact sport.

And as long as there are asymptomatic carriers you cannot stop people in close proximity from becoming little vector creches.

Not to mention road trips, hotel stays, group meals, and all the other communal stuff athletes do.

And once you create wildfire infections on teams the effects spread out so even if young healthy people were not seriously affected (which they are) they will eventually infect others who are high morbidity.

It's a game. It isn't important. Ban it as a hazard until this is over.

The kids and their parties, sex, and sex parties will be more of a threat than hockey. The idea that 18-22 year olds, let alone everyone else, will stay six feet apart at all times is ridiculous.

But that just means don't return to campus.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 12:52PM

My son is going to be a freshman at Colgate, and they are planning on having all students back. All students will need a test (with proof of negative result) taken within 10 days prior to arrival; students will then be tested within 2 days of arrival, and then again within 10 more days. Students testing positive without symptoms will be quarantined, and Colgate has acquired a local inn that will be used for quarantine purposes.

All students and other members of the Colgate community will need to sign a pledge to adhere to the rules (social distancing, mask wearing, etc.), with supposed severe consequences for violation of the rules, including being sent home. Like other schools planning on-campus activities this fall, there will be a mix of in-person and online classes, and there will be no fall break, no homecoming, no parents' weekend, and everyone goes home Thanksgiving to finish the semester.

The Patriot League has yet to announce how they'll be handling sports, but it's hard to see how they can do fall sports since off campus travel is supposed to be strictly limited. My son is hoping to play club soccer, but I'm guessing intramurals may be the only possible option.

Like anyone I have my doubts that the kids will truly follow the rules. But I'm more optimistic that a school the size of Colgate can pull off something resembling the semblance of an on-campus experience with limited outbreaks than a larger place like Cornell, especially given the existence of another fairly large school just down the road and a larger surrounding community (although thankfully Tomkins County has had very few cases).

While my son of course can stay home and we made clear he can choose that option, at this point he's hoping to head to Hamilton for the fall. While certainly I have my concerns, he's a healthy and fit kid with no underlying conditions, and while we know there is some risk the statistics tell us that his risk of getting severely ill from the virus as a healthy 18-year old is quite low. Fingers are crossed.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 01:12PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2020 04:31PM

Reports are no Ivy sports until at least 1/1/21.

Date: July 08, 2020 04:34PM

Chris '03
It's a start, let's make it 9/1/21.

What was the source?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2020 05:05PM

Trotsky
Chris '03
It's a start, let's make it 9/1/21.

What was the source?

[www.nytimes.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2020 05:07PM

[www.si.com]

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 08, 2020 05:08PM

Give My Regards

For the most part you're right. But here's the thing: if this country could actually bring the novel coronavirus under control, we might be able to have hockey, lacrosse, basketball, etc. this coming academic year. This connection opens up the discussion to considering idiots who are preventing the US from bringing the virus under control.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2020 12:14AM

Interesting nugget deep in the nytimes article:

"and in a sign of how impactful the loss of a season may be on a broad swath of athletes, the Ivy League said it would consider granting a fifth year of eligibility for athletes — something it stood steadfastly against when spring sports were canceled."

Date: July 09, 2020 08:22AM

abmarks

"and in a sign of how impactful the loss of a season may be on a broad swath of athletes, the Ivy League said it would consider granting a fifth year of eligibility for athletes — something it stood steadfastly against when spring sports were canceled."
I think they should say you still only get 4 years but 20-21 isn't a year. That way they don't compromise their principle but nobody is affected.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2020 09:42AM

Trotsky
abmarks

I think they should say you still only get 4 years but 20-21 isn't a year. That way they don't compromise their principle but nobody is affected.

Semantics....

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2020 09:54AM

Ask yourself, "Which is more important, the amusement of thousands of hockey fans and the careers of thousands of politicians OR the lives and wellbeing of millions of Americans?" See how easy that was?

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2020 01:13PM

Trotsky
We are dealing with ideology, not thinking.

And never the twain shall meet.

Trotsky
Let it be. #nopolitics

#Guffaw #IfOnly

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2020 11:57AM

Looks like a bit of offseason work is going on at Lynah: new boards.

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: July 22, 2020 08:52AM

Weder
Looks like a bit of offseason work is going on at Lynah: new boards.

[www.instagram.com]

You say offseason, but what about in-season?dribble

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login