Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Vote Barron for Hobey

Posted by Beeeej 
Vote Barron for Hobey
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2020 11:06AM

Fan voting doesn't count for a ton, but it's worth a try.

[www.hobeybaker.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Vote Barron for Hobey
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2020 01:32PM

"Barron has reached 30 points in each of his first three seasons."

Nope.

Date: March 23, 2020 01:36PM

I am trying not to get excited by this.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2020 02:28PM

Trotsky

wouldn't he have the option of free agency if he doesn't sign and returns to school? can't see the Rangers letting him get that far given his upside as a cheap depth player for them.

Date: March 23, 2020 02:45PM

He should come back, win the national title and the Hobey, and write his own ticket. I am only thinking entirely of his benefit... whistle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 02:46PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: March 24, 2020 01:13AM

Trotsky

Interesting tidbit in that article:.
"One area that Barron, a center, needs to work on is faceoffs. This season, he won only 103 of 284 draws, a mediocre 36% success ratio. In fact, in 30 games he never won more draws than he lost."

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2020 08:56AM

abmarks

"One area that Barron, a center, needs to work on is faceoffs. This season, he won only 103 of 284 draws, a mediocre 36% success ratio. In fact, in 30 games he never won more draws than he lost."

Very interesting, considering:
1. We only played 29 games this season.
2. According to the stats handed out at the Clarkson game, Barron's faceoff record in the season's first 28 games was 95 wins, 73 losses, for a .565 percentage. (He was 2x5 vs. Clarkson, so final totals of 97-76, .561.)
3. Barron's a left wing, not a center.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: March 24, 2020 09:30AM

ACM
abmarks

2. According to the stats handed out at the Clarkson game, Barron's faceoff record in the season's first 28 games was 95 wins, 73 losses, for a .565 percentage. (He was 2x5 vs. Clarkson, so final totals of 97-76, .561.)

Best to you Art,

How is Wegman's holding up? I will order a virtual Sui in an attempt to keep the Shortstop open. Also feeling bad for The Boathouse and The Antlers.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2020 09:30AM

ACM
abmarks

other than that, though,

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2020 09:44AM

These kinds of articles pop up a lot when players are negotiating contracts. The articles usually aren't signed.

Date: March 24, 2020 11:07AM

osorojo
These kinds of articles pop up a lot when players are negotiating contracts. The articles usually aren't signed.
Exactly.

Stan Fischler (PBUH) made an entire career out of laundering stuff like this for the clubs.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2020 12:47PM

Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

Stan Fischler (PBUH) made an entire career out of laundering stuff like this for the clubs.

Ok, I looked up PBUH. Why the reference to Fischler?

Date: March 24, 2020 01:30PM

scoop85
Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

He is one of the Rushmore figures of hockey journalism. A friend of mine (and a once contributor here in fact) PA'ed for him and he really was A Giant Who Shat Marble.

He was the classic Annoying, Irascible New York Jew, making Larry David look friendly, and he churned out metric tons of stuff which means 90% of it was crap (hey, I had a musicologist tell me 90% of Mozart is elevator music cuz that's what you get for a penny a word). And as mentioned he fellated the owners for his daily bread -- access journalism. A complex guy. Certainly one of the greats, but not without faults.

As are we all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 02:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2020 02:26PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

He is one of the Rushmore figures of hockey journalism. A friend of mine (and a once contributor here in fact) PA'ed for him and he really was A Giant Who Shat Marble.

He was the classic Annoying, Irascible New York Jew, making Larry David look friendly, and he churned out metrics tons of stuff which means 90% of it was crap (hey, I had a musicologist tell me 90% of Mozart is elevator music cuz that's what you get for a penny a word). And as mentioned he fellated the owners for his daily bread -- access journalism. A complex guy. Certainly one of the greats, but not without faults.

As are we all.

Never one of my favorite hockey writers. He seemed more impressed with himself than the people he wrote about.

Date: March 24, 2020 02:46PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

He was the classic Annoying, Irascible New York Jew, making Larry David look friendly, and he churned out metrics tons of stuff which means 90% of it was crap (hey, I had a musicologist tell me 90% of Mozart is elevator music cuz that's what you get for a penny a word). And as mentioned he fellated the owners for his daily bread -- access journalism. A complex guy. Certainly one of the greats, but not without faults.

As are we all.

Never one of my favorite hockey writers. He seemed more impressed with himself than the people he wrote about.

Have you met:

Keith Obermann
Erin Andrews
Dan Shaughnessy
Bob Ryan
Dick Young
Peter Gammons
Tony Kornheiser
Bryant Gumbel
Michael Wilbon
David Brooks
George Will
Stephen A. Smith
Marv Albert
Mitch Albom
Peter King
Chris Berman

The entire industry has NPD. Fischler was a prick, too, but at least he did the work.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 02:50PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 24, 2020 03:09PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

He was the classic Annoying, Irascible New York Jew, making Larry David look friendly, and he churned out metric tons of stuff which means 90% of it was crap (hey, I had a musicologist tell me 90% of Mozart is elevator music cuz that's what you get for a penny a word). And as mentioned he fellated the owners for his daily bread -- access journalism. A complex guy. Certainly one of the greats, but not without faults.

As are we all.

AFAIK Fischler is still alive and kicking

Date: March 24, 2020 03:14PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

As are we all.

Have you met:

Keith Obermann
Erin Andrews
Dan Shaughnessy
Bob Ryan
Dick Young
Peter Gammons
Tony Kornheiser
Bryant Gumbel
Michael Wilbon
David Brooks
George Will
Stephen A. Smith
Marv Albert
Mitch Albom
Peter King
Chris Berman

The entire industry has NPD. Fischler was a prick, too, but at least he did the work.

Fisch-face was being a dick long before most of those guys could write.

Date: March 24, 2020 05:08PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

As are we all.

Have you met:

Keith Obermann
Erin Andrews
Dan Shaughnessy
Bob Ryan
Dick Young
Peter Gammons
Tony Kornheiser
Bryant Gumbel
Michael Wilbon
David Brooks
George Will
Stephen A. Smith
Marv Albert
Mitch Albom
Peter King
Chris Berman

Half of them still can't.

Obermann (one of the few who can) is excellent in Bojack Horseman, apropos of nothing.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2020 05:10PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

As are we all.

Have you met:

Keith Obermann
Erin Andrews
Dan Shaughnessy
Bob Ryan
Dick Young
Peter Gammons
Tony Kornheiser
Bryant Gumbel
Michael Wilbon
David Brooks
George Will
Stephen A. Smith
Marv Albert
Mitch Albom
Peter King
Chris Berman

Half of them still can't.

Obermann (one of the few who can) is excellent in Bojack Horseman, apropos of nothing.

Olbermann, FWIW.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2020 07:58PM

Trotsky
osorojo
Exactly.

I remember listening to an interview with Fischler on WBZ radio in Boston the night of the Esposito for Ratelle and Park trade (I was living in Southern NH at the time, have moved there in July for NY). Fischler went on and on about what a steal the trade was for the Rangers and how Boston get fleeced in the deal. At that point it became obvious to me that he likes to talk and has no clue what's really happening on the ice. Esposito was a great scorer but had little inclination to worry about the defensive half of the ice. Ratelle was a better skater, better passer and a two-way player, and even if he wasn't as good as Espo, Brad Park was arguably the 2nd best defensemen in the league to Bobby Orr. I told my co-workers, particularly the Bruins fans that were bemoaning the loss of Espo, that they would find out they easily got the best of the deal. After hearing that interview, I never took Fischler seriously.

As a footnote: I think Orr and Park only played about 5 games together, as Orr was hurt most of that season, and the Orr got traded to the Blackhawks where he barely played for a couple of seasons before having to retire.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2020 08:58PM

Fischler has merely been around the New York hockey media scene for a long time. I never got the impresssion that he was a seriously knowledgeable hockey analyst, but in NYC there hasn't historically been a high standard in that regard.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2020 01:29AM

Beeeej
Olbermann, FWIW.
That you, Keith? ;-)

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2020 04:50PM

Alex Whelan (RW) of Quinnipiac signed with the Rangers organization. Perhaps Barron will stay? 0.0?

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2020 05:21PM

blackwidow
Alex Whelan (RW) of Quinnipiac signed with the Rangers organization. Perhaps Barron will stay? 0.0?

Here's hoping!!

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 25, 2020 08:52PM

its not as long as shot as some might think.

Date: March 25, 2020 11:34PM

If I were him, no rush to make up my mind since there isn't anywhere to play at the moment.

If by the end of the summer the pro teams are ready to play again, I'd assume he goes pro.

But if it looks like no hockey restarts anywhere until January 1 (and assuming there is still an NCAA season to be played) it could be a much different choice.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 08:08AM

abmarks
If I were him, no rush to make up my mind since there isn't anywhere to play at the moment.

If by the end of the summer the pro teams are ready to play again, I'd assume he goes pro.

But if it looks like no hockey restarts anywhere until January 1 (and assuming there is still an NCAA season to be played) it could be a much different choice.

Smartest thought so far. Why leave school if you don't have anywhere else to go? Even if he signs up for the fall term and then the pros start, he can leave.

The only thing that could change the thoughts for me would be if his situation, draft, Rangers, etc. would change with time.

I don't know enough about the pro draft and signings to know whether his situation changes over time.

Anyone out there know the rules enough to help me?

Date: March 26, 2020 10:07AM

Jim Hyla
abmarks

Smartest thought so far. Why leave school if you don't have anywhere else to go? Even if he signs up for the fall term and then the pros start, he can leave.

The only thing that could change the thoughts for me would be if his situation, draft, Rangers, etc. would change with time.

I don't know enough about the pro draft and signings to know whether his situation changes over time.

If Barron doesn't sign before the end of his senior season he becomes a free agent. So if the Rangers see him as a likely part of their future, they have real incentive to sign him before his senior year.

Date: March 26, 2020 10:29AM

if you trust you will get better then you can stay as a FA and get a better deal. If you dont and Pro means more than a shot at a NC with your friends then you go.

There are times where its clear he is the best player on the ice.. But there are also those periods where you wonder did he even skate a shift.

It may also depend on just what kind of deal he had for Aid at Cornell.. How much debt is he in.

We dont know even know if there will be real school next yr at this point

Date: March 26, 2020 11:04AM

scoop85
Jim Hyla
abmarks

If Barron doesn't sign before the end of his senior season he becomes a free agent. So if the Rangers see him as a likely part of their future, they have real incentive to sign him before his senior year.

True although conversely this also starts to work for Barron staying at a certain point. Say we're in October, the 2020-21 season is on hold, the Rangers are probably starting to run into a little cash crunch. Up to then the only thing they've invested in Barron is the pick. Do they sink enough into an offer to dissuade him from playing out his senior year and hitting FA?

Barron would be a Hobey finalist who didn't win poised to return and possibly win it this time. That would be worth something on the market.

I dunno. It starts to seem possible but the timing has to be perfect: long enough to make it worth his while, but not so long that it then wipes out the 2021 season too.

Date: March 26, 2020 11:40AM

A good read.

-Ned Harkness

Date: March 26, 2020 12:19PM

redice
A good read.
Nice to see Brandon getting more and more traction, he deserves it.

But can we please kill that childish windowed presentation gimmick? It was cool once. Now it's simply irritating and juvenile. Maybe it's better on iPacifiers but on a PC at work, where we should all be surfing, it's insufferably cutesy.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2020 12:20PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 26, 2020 12:49PM

Trotsky
redice
A good read.

But can we please kill that childish windowed presentation gimmick? It was cool once. Now it's simply irritating and juvenile. Maybe it's better on iPacifiers but on a PC at work, where we should all be surfing, it's insufferably cutesy.

"get off my lawn"

Date: March 26, 2020 01:36PM

scoop85
Trotsky
redice
A good read.

"get off my lawn"
Certainly.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 02:09PM

upprdeck
if you trust you will get better then you can stay as a FA and get a better deal. If you dont and Pro means more than a shot at a NC with your friends then you go.

There are times where its clear he is the best player on the ice.. But there are also those periods where you wonder did he even skate a shift.

It may also depend on just what kind of deal he had for Aid at Cornell.. How much debt is he in.

We dont know even know if there will be real school next yr at this point

I know nothing about his personal finances, but in his case, I don't think money will be that big an issue. First, I'm sure Coach Schafer has encouraged him to get insurance. A career-ending injury can happen anywhere, but a good insurance policy makes things less urgent. Second, by the same token, there's sure to be many sources that would invest in Barron futures. Not necessarily as a Stanley Cup winner, but as someone who'll earn a decent NHL salary. This would be particularly so if he holds off and goes the FA route. Third, he's probably in a position to declare his independence from his parents. Unless they're paying Cornell hockey players big bucks these days, he'd probably qualify for need-based financial aid. And there must be a ton of people, from Coach Schafer to faculty to alumni, who'll put in a good word for him.

If everyone is looking out for his welfare, then the best thing would be to make the decision as easy as possible, either way.

The only thing is the Rangers seem to have been treating him really well, as has Cornell and Cornell Hockey. As others have mentioned, if he comes back and goes the FA route in 2021, he could enter the market with a NC & Hobey. (Even without him, I think we're going to be really good next year, if we ever get the chance to play.)

Posted by: RichH (45.56.148.---)
Date: March 26, 2020 03:08PM

scoop85

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. The Rangers get a certain amount of time after Barron leaves school to sign him before the FA kicks in. That's what happened with Jimmy Vesey, who graduated on May 26th, 2016, but didn't become a free agent until August 15. Vesey did notify the Predators he intended to pursue free agency, and the Preds even traded his rights to the Sabres before the deadline, but Vesey was intent on testing the market, and eventually signed with the Rangers.

If Barron decides to come back for his Senior year, the Rangers will still have ample opportunity to sign him after April 2021. I wanted to make that clear before this conversation continued much further.

Date: March 26, 2020 03:16PM

Swampy
The only thing is the Rangers seem to have been treating him really well, as has Cornell and Cornell Hockey. As others have mentioned, if he comes back and goes the FA route in 2021, he could enter the market with a NC & Hobey. (Even without him, I think we're going to be really good next year, if we ever get the chance to play.)

I thought I understood the article to say that his draft status applied to the end of his senior year. I'm understanding that to mean that he could play his senior season, then go to the Rangers as their draft pick.

Am I wrong on this?

-Ned Harkness

Date: March 26, 2020 03:21PM

redice
Swampy

I thought I understood the article to say that his draft status applied to the end of his senior year. I'm understanding that to mean that he could play his senior season, then go to the Rangers as their draft pick.

Am I wrong on this?

Section 8.6(c)(i) of the NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

RichH is not only cute; he's correct.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2020 03:24PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 03:53PM

Iceberg
Fischler has merely been around the New York hockey media scene for a long time. I never got the impresssion that he was a seriously knowledgeable hockey analyst, but in NYC there hasn't historically been a high standard in that regard.
I had the impression Fischler was an old guy - an ancient, I thought - when I was getting the Hockey News circa 1980, but then when you're 18-30 your idea of ancient is somebody in his 50s. He exemplified the flowery writing that allowed newspaper writers (sometimes turned magazine-weekly writers) to make 150 words of thought expand into a 400-word daily column. Fischler turns 88 next week (3/31/32). This is the lede to his most recent piece that pops up in THN:

Stan Fischler
Without any fear of contradiction, I will firmly and unequivocally state that Leonard ‘Red’ Kelly was the most unique, underrated and undervalued superstar I have ever seen.

Grantland Rice penned this and it worked, in 1924, and then for half a century we read pale imitations:
Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune
Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below.”

Date: March 26, 2020 04:04PM

Rebuttal.

Date: March 26, 2020 04:34PM

Trotsky
Rebuttal.

Good article.

As to over-wrought metaphors, leave me "The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field". You can have the rest, including most of Rice's.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 08:51PM

Trotsky
redice
Swampy

Am I wrong on this?

Section 8.6(c)(i) of the NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

RichH is not only cute; he's correct.
Remember Matt Moulson? Drafted by Pittsburgh. Didn't sign with them. Became a free agent. Signed with LA as a free agent.

Date: March 26, 2020 10:33PM

He was on freaking deadline. For his era, that was decent sportswriting.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.140.---)
Date: March 26, 2020 11:10PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Rebuttal.

Good article.

As to over-wrought metaphors, leave me "The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field". You can have the rest, including most of Rice's.

the Penguins had much draft remorse... let him go. Can't call them fools, with their hardware, but I felt it was their loss. Scouts I talked to didn't think so.

Date: March 27, 2020 10:35AM

I dont think anyone thought Matt was gonna have a solid a career as he did.

Date: March 27, 2020 11:22AM

upprdeck
I love Matt but his "solid career" was getting paired up with John Tavares. cheer

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 11:47AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
I love Matt but his "solid career" was getting paired up with John Tavares. cheer

Playing with Tavares was huge, but it's not like Matt brought no skills to the table. I remember looking into this a few years ago and he put up as many, if not more, points and goals in his best couple years as any other linemate of Tavares. It's not like every single winger would put up 30 goals and 60 points alongside Tavares. Plenty had worse years than that.

And it makes sense, given that Matt's best talent was a nose for the net when put into good scoring positions.

Date: March 27, 2020 09:55PM

Does this mean Barron is leading the race?

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: March 28, 2020 10:59AM

He may have been leading when you clicked on that link but sometimes the early lead is the kiss of death in fan voting. Fans from other schools may now jump in to move their guy up. Let's just hope there are many Barron fans who have not yet voted.

Posted by: blackwidow (185.166.253.---)
Date: March 28, 2020 11:42AM

yup, Mr. Kawaguchi has overtaken Barron. Barron was 2.1 percent ahead when i made that post above but just in a matter of few hours, the UND was able to mobilize their entire community. Their surge has been incredible.

Date: March 28, 2020 02:01PM

Jack Dugan of Providence is sitting under 4% in fan voting.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2020 02:48PM

billhoward
Jack Dugan of Providence is sitting under 4% in fan voting.
Small school. Terrific player.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 12:52AM

Do any of you actually think he was the best player in the country last season?

Seriously?

Date: March 29, 2020 01:22AM

abmarks

Seriously?
Nope, not me. I see multiple people on the list that i found more impressive than Barron lol

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 03:30AM

abmarks

Seriously?
Barron was a dominant force in every game I watched this season. Others voting for him likely feel the same way. And few if any of us have studied Jack Dugan's and Jordan Kawaguchi's tape such that we could say with any degree of confidence that someone out there was better than Barron. Given all your late nights in the film room watching tape of all ten Hobey finalists, please enlighten us on who was clearly better than Barron.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2020 03:34AM by BearLover.

Date: March 29, 2020 09:31AM

You could also argue that we played against very few players in games that were of the elite level and for the most part our top D line took them all out of their game..

Much like the Clarkson Goalie had great numbers but not against us.

If a guy scored 2 goals a game all season and we shut him down he still had a great season.

To me Barron was the best player on the ice in most of the games, but he didnt dominate with pts which is what many people look at.

Date: March 29, 2020 11:46AM

abmarks

Seriously?
Ixne on the uthtre.

Date: March 29, 2020 07:44PM

Trotsky
abmarks

Seriously?
Ixne on the uthtre.

Pig Latin wasn't my major. I seriously have no idea what that translates to

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2020 08:07PM

abmarks
Trotsky
abmarks

Seriously?
Ixne on the uthtre.

Kids. ;-)

Some girls in our high school had a better form of gibberish that since they spit it out quickly, almost no one could follow.

They put egg in the middle of every peggiece sheggit theggey seggaid.
Had to be one of these.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2020 08:09PM by marty.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.141.---)
Date: March 30, 2020 12:47PM

marty
abmarks
Trotsky
abmarks

Seriously?
Ixne on the uthtre.

Kids. ;-)

Some girls in our high school had a better form of gibberish that since they spit it out quickly, almost no one could follow.

Had to be one of these.

thus solving a 25+ year mystery.thank you!!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 01:32PM

The Rancor
marty
abmarks
Trotsky
abmarks

Seriously?
Ixne on the uthtre.

Kids. ;-)

Had to be one of these.

Pig Latin or Egg Latin?

Date: March 30, 2020 01:52PM

BearLover
abmarks

Seriously?
Barron was a dominant force in every game I watched this season. Others voting for him likely feel the same way. And few if any of us have studied Jack Dugan's and Jordan Kawaguchi's tape such that we could say with any degree of confidence that someone out there was better than Barron. Given all your late nights in the film room watching tape of all ten Hobey finalists, please enlighten us on who was clearly better than Barron.

Here are two we saw. Dugan and Farrance.

The eyeball test alone should put Dugan over Barron immediately. But if that's not enough, look at the stats.

Both Dugan and Farrance outscored Barron (Dugan by a LOT) in ppg. And Farrance is a *defenseman* on top of that.

Cornell scored 3.6 gpg while both Providence and BU scored only 3.0 while playing tougher schedules (per sos stats)

Lesser offenses, tougher schedule, played on average teams at best (weaker supporting cast) but more points?

-dominant force in every game? No way. There were some games you didn't even notice he was playing.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 30, 2020 02:05PM

abmarks
BearLover
abmarks

Seriously?

The eyeball test alone should put Dugan over Barron immediately. But if that's not enough, look at the stats.

Both Dugan and Farrance outscored Barron (Dugan by a LOT) in ppg. And Farrance is a *defenseman* on top of that.

Cornell scored 3.6 gpg while both Providence and BU scored only 3.0 while playing tougher schedules (per sos stats)

Lesser offenses, tougher schedule, played on average teams at best (weaker supporting cast) but more points?

-dominant force in every game? No way. There were some games you didn't even notice he was playing.

I only saw Dugan play in Vegas, but I'd be willing to posit that Morgan Barron is a much better defensive forward than Dugan. I didn't vote in Trotsky's poll, but if I had I would have voted Barron as most improved, as I think he's really become a great defensive forward while still maintaining his offensive prowess.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2020 03:15PM

abmarks
BearLover
abmarks

Seriously?

My comment is more about the logic here than where the three players stand relative to each other.

A really good player on an extremely good and balanced team does not have to score points at a record-breaking pace for the team to be successful. Depending on the player's skill set, his contribution might be keeping opponents' top checking line on the ice for long periods or himself playing on a line that shuts down opponents' top lines.

Barron can score and play defense. Watching games late in the season, I had the feeling that the resurgence of our power play partly resulted from Barron acting as a decoy and attracting other teams' top defenders, while the rest of the power play unit moved the puck and scored.

Sort of like when our counter to SOT strategies in lacrosse worked really well, only better.

Posted by: RichH (45.56.148.---)
Date: March 30, 2020 03:35PM

abmarks

Seriously?

I have bad news for you about MLB's All-Star fan balloting.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.141.---)
Date: March 30, 2020 09:30PM

marty
The Rancor
marty
abmarks
Trotsky
abmarks

Seriously?
Ixne on the uthtre.

Kids. ;-)

Had to be one of these.

Pig Latin or Egg Latin?

egg latin

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2020 11:59AM

RichH
abmarks

Seriously?

Could care less about any selections in any sport that are made entirely by fan ballots.

Besides, I gave most people here more credit than that. It's one thing to stuff the ballot box for your own guy, it's another to stuff it and proclaim he's actually the best when he isn't.

Date: March 31, 2020 12:54PM

abmarks
Besides, I gave most people here more credit than that. It's one thing to stuff the ballot box for your own guy, it's another to stuff it and proclaim he's actually the best when he isn't.

He's probably not the best, but plenty of guys have won "meritocratic" awards who weren't the best so fuck it, let's get some! cheer
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 12:55PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 31, 2020 12:56PM

The Rancor
marty
The Rancor
marty
abmarks
Trotsky
abmarks

Seriously?
Ixne on the uthtre.

Kids. ;-)

Had to be one of these.

Pig Latin or Egg Latin?

egg latin

We haven't cured cancer yet but the internet.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2020 02:52PM

abmarks
RichH
abmarks

Seriously?

Could care less about any selections in any sport that are made entirely by fan ballots.

I'm certain in your divine wisdom you have determined, beyond any and all doubt, who is, in fact, "best." Pray tell us the answer and your unchallengeable, infallible reasoning for determining this.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 02, 2020 12:23PM

Al DeFlorio
abmarks
RichH
abmarks

Seriously?

I'm certain in your divine wisdom you have determined, beyond any and all doubt, who is, in fact, "best." Pray tell us the answer and your unchallengeable, infallible reasoning for determining this.

Doesn’t matter now. The final 3 candidates are from Duluth, North Dakota, and the goaltender with the 14th best GAA.

Date: April 02, 2020 01:08PM

RichH
The final 3 candidates are from Duluth, North Dakota, and the goaltender with the 14th best GAA.
McKay didn't make the final? The fuck?

Date: April 02, 2020 08:48PM

Vote Barron for Hobey in 2021?

Thursday evening's online town hall with Mike Schafer, Yanni Kaldis and Jeff Malott - great event - left unclear what Morgan Barron will be doing for his senior year. Schafer said Barron is pondering the choice of returning for senior year or going pro, and "we support Morgan" whichever choice he makes.

Be nice to see him back to take care of unfinished business. But life is not a Hallmark movie where people keep coming back to the small town.

But, man, it would be nice. There's unfinished business in Ithaca.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2020 12:42PM

Swayman faces 65% more shots with a save percentage .003 less than McKay's ... We had Swayman 1st Team All-CHN - and I voted for him for the Richter Award.

Also - annual reminder that the Hobey Hat Trick is NOT the "final 3 candidates" ... the winner is already known. The 3 represent the top 3 vote getters. There is no further voting.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-243-65.myvzw.com)
Date: April 03, 2020 01:15PM

adamw
Swayman faces 65% more shots with a save percentage .003 less than McKay's ... We had Swayman 1st Team All-CHN - and I voted for him for the Richter Award.

Also - annual reminder that the Hobey Hat Trick is NOT the "final 3 candidates" ... the winner is already known. The 3 represent the top 3 vote getters. There is no further voting.

I've never really understood why GAA is seen as a goalie metric rather than a team metric.

Date: April 03, 2020 02:26PM

Al DeFlorio
abmarks
RichH
abmarks

Seriously?

I don't know who's best. But I do know that it's not Barron, and outlined why two of our opponents were better than Barron in an earlier post.

And before you quibble, consider best to the player that best satisfied the award criteria. If there were a Selke for college hockey there a be a good argument for Barron, but this is an award for most outstanding player.

Date: April 03, 2020 05:24PM

Dafatone
adamw

I've never really understood why GAA is seen as a goalie metric rather than a team metric.

Which other metric would you prefer? Which other available metric is superior? Are you suggesting McKay is better than Swayman? By what criteria?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-243-65.myvzw.com)
Date: April 03, 2020 05:36PM

adamw
Dafatone
adamw

Which other metric would you prefer? Which other available metric is superior? Are you suggesting McKay is better than Swayman? By what criteria?

I'm agreeing with you, mostly. McKay has a slightly better sv% and a much better GAA. Swayman has faced a ton more shots, which makes his numbers more impressive.

Some people seemed to be saying that the wide gap in GAA reflects poorly on Swayman, which I don't really get. It's not his fault his team gave up about 50% more shots than McKay's.

Date: April 03, 2020 06:13PM

Don't the stats also say all shots are not created equal? Cornell shows the model. limit the quality shots.

Date: April 03, 2020 07:19PM

adamw

Huh. Did not know this. Thank you.

Date: April 04, 2020 11:57AM

upprdeck
Don't the stats also say all shots are not created equal? Cornell shows the model. limit the quality shots.

All shots are definitely not created equal. Unfortunately, in NCAA, we don't have shot location data. So SV% is the best we have.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 10, 2020 01:29PM

As for GAA as a measure of excellence in tending goal what do the goalies themselves think about it being a critical measure of talent in goal?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login