Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Season's Over

Posted by BMac 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Season's Over
Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: March 18, 2020 02:59PM

Al DeFlorio
The Rancor
JasonN95
ESPN article about lost opportunity for double national championships for Cornell:

[apple.news]

red helmets at home?
IIRC, red helmesa in NCAA regional final last year. Bad omen.

The photo is not Lynah so I think you’re right. (Though wasn’t there a short stretch in a recent season when they did wear red helmets at home?)

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 04:27PM

Weder
Al DeFlorio
The Rancor
JasonN95
ESPN article about lost opportunity for double national championships for Cornell:

[apple.news]

red helmets at home?

The photo is not Lynah so I think you’re right. (Though wasn’t there a short stretch in a recent season when they did wear red helmets at home?)

I think that was the NCAA regional game against BU a couple years ago

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 08:46PM

underskill
Weder
Al DeFlorio
The Rancor
JasonN95

[apple.news]

red helmets at home?

I think that was the NCAA regional game against BU a couple years ago
Could be. Same bad omen. Was one of the two. I remember being puzzled at the time.

Edit: Just checked video of last year's NCAA regional final. White sweaters with red helmets. Ugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2020 08:50PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: RichH (45.41.134.---)
Date: March 18, 2020 11:45PM

Weder

Jan 2017. The weekend where we honored the 1967 team and also lost to both Dartmouth and Harvard. They abandoned it for the rest of the regular season after that, I think.

Memorable for me, because I fractured my femur that Sunday. Great weekend.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2020 10:50AM

Shout out to the Cornell men’s and women’s team on ESPN tv:
[es.pn]

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 09:36PM

Local TV news piece on on the men's and women's seasons: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: April 04, 2020 11:45AM

BearLover
abmarks
Dafatone
ugarte
My honest, no-joke, opinion is that a banner acknowledging that we finished The Season of The Plague in #1 in the polls is a reasonable hearkening back to the pre-playoffs college football era. This year's teams - men's and women's - deserve to be remembered, even if it's just a second accolade on the ECAC regular season championship banners.

Maybe just a banner with our record. Don't claim a championship or a title or a ranking. Just the record.

It's too good a year to not be honored at all.

All this banner nonsense has nothing to do with the team themselves. It's about your butthurt feelings from losing out on the chance to watch and possibly experience *your* dreams of celebrating a winner. You want a banner to make you feel better.

Next time someone bumps into one of the coaches or one of the players, ask them what they think and report back what you find out. I can't believe any of them want a banner.

P.s. while you're at it, how about agitating for banners or whatever for the wrestlers that had a great chance of hitting the All American mark.
So much vitriol from you, man. You have no idea what we want, what the players want, what anyone other than you wants. The team just played one of the best seasons in program history and some of us think it should be commemorated in some way. I'd think many of the players and coaches would agree. And "butthurt"? Did the governor in your state shut down your elementary school yet?

Hmmm. Looks like I git it right.

"Wearing a 2020 Detroit Frozen Four sweater — “this is where we should be right now,” Schafer said — the coach put fans’ calls to hang a national championship banner at Lynah Rink to rest on Thursday.

“That would cheapen it,” Schafer said. “It’s not a national championship. … We’ll honor this group of guys somehow inside Lynah Rink.”

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2020 02:52PM

Again, just have one saying "2020". People can make of it what they want; it can even go beyond hockey, and just be a memorial to the outbreak too.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2020 08:10PM

abmarks
BearLover
abmarks
Dafatone
ugarte
My honest, no-joke, opinion is that a banner acknowledging that we finished The Season of The Plague in #1 in the polls is a reasonable hearkening back to the pre-playoffs college football era. This year's teams - men's and women's - deserve to be remembered, even if it's just a second accolade on the ECAC regular season championship banners.

Maybe just a banner with our record. Don't claim a championship or a title or a ranking. Just the record.

It's too good a year to not be honored at all.

All this banner nonsense has nothing to do with the team themselves. It's about your butthurt feelings from losing out on the chance to watch and possibly experience *your* dreams of celebrating a winner. You want a banner to make you feel better.

Next time someone bumps into one of the coaches or one of the players, ask them what they think and report back what you find out. I can't believe any of them want a banner.

P.s. while you're at it, how about agitating for banners or whatever for the wrestlers that had a great chance of hitting the All American mark.
So much vitriol from you, man. You have no idea what we want, what the players want, what anyone other than you wants. The team just played one of the best seasons in program history and some of us think it should be commemorated in some way. I'd think many of the players and coaches would agree. And "butthurt"? Did the governor in your state shut down your elementary school yet?

Hmmm. Looks like I git it right.

"Wearing a 2020 Detroit Frozen Four sweater — “this is where we should be right now,” Schafer said — the coach put fans’ calls to hang a national championship banner at Lynah Rink to rest on Thursday.

“That would cheapen it,” Schafer said. “It’s not a national championship. … We’ll honor this group of guys somehow inside Lynah Rink.”
Huh. You posted the entire last section of the article but not the title to the section: "No, Cornell isn’t going to hang a national championship banner."

Nor did you closely read the text of that section: "the coach put fans’ calls to hang a national championship banner at Lynah Rink to rest...'It’s not a national championshipWe’ll honor this group of guys somehow inside Lynah Rink.'"

Did I say anything about hanging a "national championship banner"? Nope. I said some banner should be raised to commemorate this year's team. Schafer seems to agree, given that he said the team will be honored inside Lynah.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 08, 2020 09:27AM

The soul of sports is the pursuit of excellence. The 19-20 C.U. Men's Hockey Team pursued excellence and damn near caught it. Be happy.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2020 09:57AM

osorojo
The soul of sports is the pursuit of excellence.

So you hate Bill James statistical analysis but you go all wobbly kneed for mawkish Roger Kahn sentimentality?

You're not a maverick truth teller. You're just old.

The soul of sports is the soul of rock and roll:

1) showing off to get laid
2) beats workin' at Sears
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 09:58AM by Trotsky.

Date: April 08, 2020 06:58PM

I dislike name dropping [see above], costumes, cute demonstrations at hockey games, and lengthy postmortems of hockey games -especially those involving long columns of numbers and blizzards of decimal points. I get a kick out of watching athletic skill, winning strategies, persistence, resilience, and teamwork. Booklets of page upon page of numerical game exegesis do not interest me in the least and always make me suspicious the author is showing off - but I realize fans go to hockey games or write about them for different reasons. Maybe all those numbers are an ingredient in some sort of mammalian mating ritual.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-203-7.myvzw.com)
Date: April 09, 2020 08:18AM

osorojo
I dislike name dropping [see above], costumes, cute demonstrations at hockey games, and lengthy postmortems of hockey games -especially those involving long columns of numbers and blizzards of decimal points. I get a kick out of watching athletic skill, winning strategies, persistence, resilience, and teamwork. Booklets of page upon page of numerical game exegesis do not interest me in the least and always make me suspicious the author is showing off - but I realize fans go to hockey games or write about them for different reasons. Maybe all those numbers are an ingredient in some sort of mammalian mating ritual.
you're on a forum you ridiculous phony. how is this schtick still interesting for you?

Date: April 09, 2020 11:10AM

Urgate - I suspect this 'shtick' -"What makes Cornell hockey interesting to you?" interests me for many of the same reasons it interests you - except for the regrettable ad-hominem.

Date: April 12, 2020 12:19AM

Today we would have all been in Detriot winning our 3rd title. We will back. Oh yes, we will. rock

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2020 08:26AM

French Rage
Today we would have all been in Detriot winning our 3rd title. We will back. Oh yes, we will. rock

+1

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2020 09:58AM

French Rage
Today we would have all been in Detroit winning our 3rd title. We will back. Oh yes, we will. rock

+1

Date: April 12, 2020 10:18AM

French Rage
I can drive to Pittsburgh anyway.

Posted by: Weder (198.72.15.---)
Date: April 15, 2020 07:03PM

This is a nice gallery of both teams' seasons. The Sun has some really good photographers right now.

Date: April 16, 2020 06:20PM

Weder
This is a nice gallery of both teams' seasons. The Sun has some really good photographers right now.

That Tupker one is amazing.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 16, 2020 09:01PM

French Rage
Weder

I like the one of Galajda.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2020 09:55PM

On Ben T's first (or maybe second) he did a little two-skate jump in the air like a little kid. I loved it.

Date: April 18, 2020 01:48AM

French Rage
Weder

That whole sequence was amazing. His teammates almost killed him. The goal of the year for pure joy.

Date: April 18, 2020 01:54AM

TBRW will do a Goal of the Year Award and a Save of the Year Award next year of somebody video savvy can index nominations during the year.

Date: April 18, 2020 02:48AM

Trotsky
French Rage
Weder

That whole sequence was amazing. His teammates almost killed him. The goal of the year for pure joy.

Clip?

Date: April 18, 2020 04:45AM

French Rage
Trotsky
French Rage
Weder

Clip?
It may have been noted on the game thread, otherwise you would need to go back to the archived stream.

That's when we learned that his teammates really like him.

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: April 21, 2020 11:22AM

French Rage
Trotsky
French Rage
Weder

Clip?
[EDIT] You can see the goal at 6:55 in the Cornell Season Review video clip posted elsewhere.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2020 11:54AM by KenP.

Date: April 21, 2020 02:17PM

KenP
French Rage
Trotsky
French Rage
Weder

Clip?
[EDIT] You can see the goal at 6:55 in the Cornell Season Review video clip posted elsewhere.

Nice goal, but that music makes it unwatchable.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2020 02:55PM

KenP
French Rage
Trotsky
French Rage
Weder

Clip?

Watching that again just now I enjoyed noticing that Barron initially heads towards Tupker, but then almost instantly realizes it's Tupker's first goal and cuts back to go retrieve the puck.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2020 07:58PM

andyw2100
KenP
French Rage
Trotsky
French Rage
Weder

Clip?

Watching that again just now I enjoyed noticing that Barron initially heads towards Tupker, but then almost instantly realizes it's Tupker's first goal and cuts back to go retrieve the puck.

It sucks that ESPN+ has taken down almost all of the games. I thought I might be able to get a longer version of this goal and all I could find was this bit of gold. I hope the athletic department is busy during this time of working from home.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: April 22, 2020 09:23AM

Making room for all that new content.. wait..

Date: April 22, 2020 11:58AM

upprdeck
Making room for all that new content.. wait..

Well, we all want to watch Belarusian soccer, don't we?

Anyone? Bueller?

Date: April 22, 2020 04:48PM

I suspect there are some Eastern European sports we would not want to watch. Bear-baiting and baby cage wrestling come to mind.

My people have many fine attributes but we are not aesthetically subtle.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2020 05:57PM

Trotsky
I suspect there are some Eastern European sports we would not want to watch. Bear-baiting and baby cage wrestling come to mind.

You are not big fan of buzkashi? Like hockey, only with goat, not puck.

Date: April 22, 2020 06:07PM

ACM
Trotsky

That's a bit farther east than my scope.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2020 06:13PM

ACM
Trotsky

N-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-h

Date: April 22, 2020 08:06PM

betting russian tennis is keeping me sane

Date: April 23, 2020 02:49PM

Give My Regards
ACM
Trotsky

N-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-h

Good lord, we are an eclectic bunch, aren't we?

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2020 09:32PM

I finally found the perfect item to honor the 2020 playoff season.

-Ned Harkness

Date: May 06, 2020 10:25PM

redice
I finally found the perfect item to honor the 2020 playoff season.
They should make a corona patch at that cool Placid sweater place.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2020 10:36AM

This morning while dss28 and I were getting our morning walk in at Commodore Barry Park, we noted that the ballfield had recently been mowed, but not all of it - the center third or so had not been done. Twenty minutes later, a guy drove onto the ballfield inside a large industrial mower and started making a circuit to finish the job. Fighting back tears, I half-heartedly chanted, "You're not Dave!"

I really &*%>ing miss hockey.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 20, 2020 03:34PM

+1

Date: May 21, 2020 11:21AM

There's something wrong with me. I don't miss sports at all. It's like a spell's been broken.

I'm sure I'll be back whenever Cornell hockey returns (October probably, October 2021 hopefully) but I gotta say, and this is a big surprise, I don't miss sports one bit.

This could just be the relief of a Mets fan not having to suffer.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 11:22AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: May 21, 2020 11:59AM

Trotsky
There's something wrong with me. I don't miss sports at all. It's like a spell's been broken.

I'm sure I'll be back whenever Cornell hockey returns (October probably, October 2021 hopefully) but I gotta say, and this is a big surprise, I don't miss sports one bit.

But this was gonna be our year!!!

That stupid, irrational optimism is in reference to the Mets. My Cornell hockey optimism is reasonable and measured.

Date: May 21, 2020 03:15PM

Dafatone
Trotsky

But this was gonna be our year!!!
This year had already ended when Thor tore his ulnar inevitable ligament. We're not missing anything.

Date: May 21, 2020 03:33PM

Beeeej
This morning while dss28 and I were getting our morning walk in at Commodore Barry Park, we noted that the ballfield had recently been mowed, but not all of it - the center third or so had not been done. Twenty minutes later, a guy drove onto the ballfield inside a large industrial mower and started making a circuit to finish the job. Fighting back tears, I half-heartedly chanted, "You're not Dave!"

And this morning as I passed a woman on her riding mower, I found myself thinking "You're not Dave!"

You suck, Beeeej. bang

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2020 04:19PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej

And this morning as I passed a woman on her riding mower, I found myself thinking "You're not Dave!"

You suck, Beeeej. bang

Well, my work is done here. innocent

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 21, 2020 06:48PM

Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej

You suck, Beeeej. bang

Well, my work is done here. innocent

If only.

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: May 23, 2020 12:50PM

I've gotta plead ignorance to the "You're not Dave" cheer - assuming it's a zamboni reference. Can someone fill me in?

Posted by: RichH (104.194.220.---)
Date: May 23, 2020 04:55PM

Chris H82
I've gotta plead ignorance to the "You're not Dave" cheer - assuming it's a zamboni reference. Can someone fill me in?

The Lynah Faithful typically greets the ice-resurfacer during his first lap during intermissions by screaming "ZAAAAAAAAM----BONI!!!" as it passed by, followed by a chant of the driver's name: "DAVE! DAVE! DAVE! DAVE!" At road games, the Cornell section would do the same, but follow with a derisive (but good-natured) "YOU'RE NOT DAVE! YOU'RE NOT DAVE!" chant at the arena's driver. I'm pretty sure "You're not Dave" also happens when there is a substitute driver at Lynah.

There was a time when the back of the Olympia machine had the first names of the rink staff painted on it, so after it passed by, the chant was reading it: "GENE, PHIL, DAVE, ART!"

Date: May 23, 2020 05:10PM

RichH
There was a time when the back of the Olympia machine had the first names of the rink staff painted on it, so after it passed by, the chant was reading it: "GENE, PHIL, DAVE, ART!"

When? I totally missed this.

Posted by: RichH (104.194.220.---)
Date: May 23, 2020 06:48PM

Trotsky
RichH

I don't know. Probably in the 1900s.

Date: May 23, 2020 07:25PM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH

I have that decade covered.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2020 12:16AM

Trotsky
RichH
Trotsky
RichH

I have that decade covered.

This chant was late 90s

Date: May 24, 2020 09:01AM

interesting, talked with some people who were there with us and none of us recall it..

Posted by: Weder (198.72.15.---)
Date: May 25, 2020 08:01PM

I think it might have been just the pep band (plus a few others in Section A) that did that chant?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2020 10:31PM

upprdeck
interesting, talked with some people who were there with us and none of us recall it..
Stoners

Date: May 26, 2020 11:46AM

billhoward
upprdeck
Stoners

If you can remember the 90's you weren't there? woot

Posted by: Tom Lento (163.114.132.---)
Date: May 27, 2020 07:03PM

Weder
I think it might have been just the pep band (plus a few others in Section A) that did that chant?

Hah, I forgot about that chant. I think it was mainly from section A. My memory is the band did the GENE! PHIL! DAVE! ART! thing and then did DAVE! DAVE! DAVE! DAVE! whenever he was driving. He used to only work one of the nights each weekend so "YOU'RE NOT DAVE" wasn't really a thing at that point, at least not in Lynah.

I'm assuming Dave is no longer the game night driver. I remember talking to him many years ago (early 00s, probably) and he was saying that he was doing as little of the driving/resurfacing work as possible because of the physical toll it takes, both in terms of the driving/maintenance/shoveling/etc. and the exposure to the exhaust. He loved working the games, though.

Date: May 28, 2020 12:42PM

Tom Lento
I'm assuming Dave is no longer the game night driver. I remember talking to him many years ago (early 00s, probably) and he was saying that he was doing as little of the driving/resurfacing work as possible because of the physical toll it takes, both in terms of the driving/maintenance/shoveling/etc. and the exposure to the exhaust. He loved working the games, though.
Time for environmentally aware Cornell to use an electric Zamboni, or Olympia. But they carry a stiff premium, something like $150,000 for lithium-power vs. ~$100,000 for propane / natural gas.

Date: May 28, 2020 08:21PM

billhoward
Tom Lento
Time for environmentally aware Cornell to use an electric Zamboni, or Olympia. But they carry a stiff premium, something like $150,000 for lithium-power vs. ~$100,000 for propane / natural gas.

OOC, what's the source of electricity for re-charging it? If it's fossil fuels, you're only kicking the can down the road. Not to mention a two-step process (fuel to electricity to Zamboni action) is most probably inherently less efficient than a single step process.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2020 09:09PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Tom Lento

OOC, what's the source of electricity for re-charging it? If it's fossil fuels, you're only kicking the can down the road. Not to mention a two-step process (fuel to electricity to Zamboni action) is most probably inherently less efficient than a single step process.

Am I the only one who read that as "out of conference" at first?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2020 11:46PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
If it's fossil fuels, you're only kicking the can down the road.

Depends on the fossil fuel. Of course, we shut down Ward…

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.sri.com)
Date: May 29, 2020 03:59PM

Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82

...Cleaver?

Date: May 29, 2020 05:37PM

Stop your whining.The first year I attended Cornell Men's Varsity hockey games at Lynah the Big Red went 2 and 19.

Date: May 29, 2020 08:18PM

Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82

Nuke isn't considered a classic fossil fuel.

Date: May 29, 2020 09:30PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Caution thread drift: A battery electric vehicle that gets its electricity from a big power plant is more efficient propelling the vehicle than using a hydrocarbon fuel for combustion energy. Charging your car with electricity at 12-13 cents/kWh is like buying gasoline at one-third of the prevailing price for gasoline. It may be more efficient to scrub the pollutants in 250 big powerplants than in 200 million (in the US) individual combustion engine vehicles. And Dave and his successors aren't breathing carbon monoxide inside Lynah no matter what the full lifecycle cost of the Zamboni is.

Also true: There's total lifecycle cost of an EV, the batteries, where the battery components are sourced, etcetera, to be considered. But there's a real benefit to emitting the pollution that creates power for vehicles someplace outside the world's ~40 megacities (10M plus population). Most are in Asia so we're a little slow recognizing the problem. All North America has is Mexico City, NYC, LA depending on how you measure the region, and Toronto almost (6M metro area).

If Lynah had an lithium-ion powered Zamboni, we'd still have Dave scraping the ice, maybe.

Natural gas is so cheap and so prevalent that coal-fired plants, the worst powerplant polluters, are being mothballed. So there is that one upside to fracking. Nuclear powerplants are super efficient and non-polluting with a couple outlier exceptions such as Fukushima (we have relatives living near there but they are spreading God's word so maybe it's okay), TMI, Chernobyl.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2020 09:34PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82

Fine, fine. Uranium is not made of compacted dead organisms, but we do get it (mostly) out of the ground!

Poor nuclear, always sui generis.

Date: May 30, 2020 01:48AM

Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82

Fine, fine. Uranium is not made of compacted dead organisms, but we do get it (mostly) out of the ground!
All energy came from the sun at some point...

burnout
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 01:48AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2020 01:03PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82

All energy came from the sun at some point...

burnout
Or some other sun, in the case of Uranium.

Date: May 30, 2020 04:44PM

So I have a spectacularly stupid question. Heavy elements come from larger, hotter stars or their explosions or whatever -- OK I get that. But why do the atoms of those elements congregate together in large enough concentrations to be easily gathered? Why aren't they spread diffusely through all matter?

Do atoms of the same type "like" each other?

Date: May 30, 2020 05:08PM

Trotsky
So I have a spectacularly stupid question. Heavy elements come from larger, hotter stars or their explosions or whatever -- OK I get that. But why do the atoms of those elements congregate together in large enough concentrations to be easily gathered? Why aren't they spread diffusely through all matter?

Do atoms of the same type "like" each other?

I think it's just random and it builds upon itself. After the explosion, certain areas happen to have more stuff, that stuff gathers more stuff by gravity, and so on.

Date: May 30, 2020 05:13PM

I get why matter collects into clumps -- that's gravity. But why do you get enough uranium atoms to collect into molecules close enough to each other that you get uranium ore? Why don't you get infinitesimal traces of uranium scattered everywhere so that most matter has a random handful of uranium atoms scattered through it.

Matter concentrates but why does it become relatively homogeneous above the molecular level?

Are you saying the local source just has enough of it that some of it will stick together? My completely uninformed understanding is even right at the supernova source of heavy elements they are still ludicrously rare.

Given their decay rates, the abundance of these elements at the time the solar system formed (roughly a billion years ago) should have been about 0.3.

Um. .3 what? Does that mean 3/10th of a percent of all the matter ejected from the super nova? That's actually not that rare at all.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 05:21PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2020 09:07AM

Trotsky
I get why matter collects into clumps -- that's gravity. But why do you get enough uranium atoms to collect into molecules close enough to each other that you get uranium ore? Why don't you get infinitesimal traces of uranium scattered everywhere so that most matter has a random handful of uranium atoms scattered through it.

Matter concentrates but why does it become relatively homogeneous above the molecular level?

Are you saying the local source just has enough of it that some of it will stick together? My completely uninformed understanding is even right at the supernova source of heavy elements they are still ludicrously rare.

Given their decay rates, the abundance of these elements at the time the solar system formed (roughly a billion years ago) should have been about 0.3.

Um. .3 what? Does that mean 3/10th of a percent of all the matter ejected from the super nova? That's actually not that rare at all.

There’s thread drift and then there’s thread drift. But given our country is falling apart at warp speed, why the hell not?

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: May 31, 2020 12:50PM

scoop85
Trotsky

There’s thread drift and then there’s thread drift. But given our country is falling apart at warp speed, why the hell not?

Who would’ve thought locking people in their homes for 3 months and destroying the economy would have consequences.

Date: June 01, 2020 05:06PM

Trotsky

I googled it. Uranium is considered to be "incompatible" with magma. That is, when magma cools and partially solidifies, the uranium (and some other metals) tend to stay in the melt. It's concentration by fractional crystallization. Eventually the melt completely solidifies and you get concentrated solid uranium ore deposits.

Date: June 01, 2020 06:01PM

This is great, thank you.

Your google-fu has defeated mine.

Date: June 01, 2020 06:18PM

I also was involved with crystallization system design in my old job. Not of magma, of course, but it does mean the concepts are rather familiar.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2020 09:17PM

Warning: I have absolutely no idea of exactly what makes uranium atoms congregate.

BUT: Usually it depends on the atom's valence electrons, of which uranium has six. This leaves room for two additional electrons in its valence shell. These can be occupied by electrons from adjacent atoms. This is why "uranium is almost always found combined with other elements" (Hammond 2000).

Date: June 04, 2020 11:45AM

Folk wisdom give a simple explanation: "Birds of a feather flock together." This explains uranium, gold mines, and Trump conventions.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-204-132.myvzw.com)
Date: June 22, 2020 02:39PM

Did anyone read the studies / suggestions / reports Cornell released today? I haven’t had time, but I imagine it will give us a good idea if there’s any chance of sports

Date: June 22, 2020 03:44PM

CU2007
Did anyone read the studies / suggestions / reports Cornell released today? I haven’t had time, but I imagine it will give us a good idea if there’s any chance of sports

Date: June 22, 2020 07:59PM

It doesnt really address any of it and most of it has not really even been decided by the state.. Hockey Bball would probably be best served to push the season back to an after xmas start, fball should probably do an ivy only schedule if they decide to try and play.

I think they are really still waiting on testing to be improved before making all the big decisions.

Date: July 01, 2020 11:52AM

The email we got from Cornell yesterday had a preamble from the head of alumni affairs almost as long as the letter from President Pollack.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login