Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Early Departures

Posted by RichH 
ECAC Early Departures
Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 02:09AM

Since the season is over for four teams, it’s possible for pro departures to be announced.

Such is the case for Dartmouth’s super Sophomore Drew O’Connor, currently the 5th highest goal-scorer in the nation. The Penguins announced they signed him on Tuesday.

[pens.pe]

Player		Pos	Year	School		Signed With
Drew O’Connor	F	So	Dartmouth	PIT
Jack Badini	F	Jr	Harvard		ANA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 09:36AM by RichH.

Re: ECAC Early Departures
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2020 09:25PM

Harvard’s jack Badini is foregoing his senior year and signed a two-way contract with Anaheim today.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 09:28AM

scoop85
Harvard’s jack Badini is foregoing his senior year and signed a two-way contract with Anaheim today.

Now we just need the Devils and the Canucks to do their jobs.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2020 10:41AM

scoop85
For Harvard men the second option is the player may buy out the team.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 07:44AM

RichH
Since the season is over for four teams, it’s possible for pro departures to be announced.

Such is the case for Dartmouth’s super Sophomore Drew O’Connor, currently the 5th highest goal-scorer in the nation. The Penguins announced they signed him on Tuesday.

[pens.pe]

Rich, could you keep a list of the departures, with their college and year, on your original post.

It would be nice to look at all of them at one place.

I don't know your schedule, so if not I could start another thread.

Posted by: RichH (45.56.148.---)
Date: March 30, 2020 09:37AM

Jim Hyla
RichH

[pens.pe]

Rich, could you keep a list of the departures, with their college and year, on your original post.

Sure. Let me know if there's any more data you'd like to see.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2020 10:28AM

Jim Hyla
RichH

[pens.pe]

[www.uscho.com]

Date: March 30, 2020 11:18AM

RichH
Jim Hyla
RichH

[pens.pe]

Sure. Let me know if there's any more data you'd like to see.

Thanks

Date: March 30, 2020 11:18AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
RichH

[pens.pe]

[www.uscho.com]

Yes, but I thought as long as we're going to post them, having an ECAC list here would be nice.

Date: March 30, 2020 11:24AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
RichH

[pens.pe]

[www.uscho.com]

Yes, but I thought as long as we're going to post them, having an ECAC list here would be nice.

Yes. I intended the link as a source for Rich.

Date: March 30, 2020 11:24AM

That would be nice, the initial post having all the departures summed.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 12:52PM

Not that they are early departures, but I imagine both Kaldis and Malott with be signed by someone. Kaldis is a bit old for a prospect, but he can surely play at the AHL level and maybe get a sniff at the NHL

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2020 01:36PM

Noah Bauld is headed to Goldman Sachs & Connor Murphy to Citibank. Schafer & staff are recruiting not just good players, but good students.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 01:37PM by CAS.

Date: March 30, 2020 01:48PM

CAS
Noah Bauld is headed to Goldman Sachs & Connor Murphy to Citibank. Schafer & staff are recruiting not just good players, but good students.
And moral cripples.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-146.myvzw.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 02:06PM

Trotsky
CAS
And moral cripples.

I do think those sorts of jobs fresh out of college are a good way to learn how the system works and how to fix it, for those inclined to try to do so.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 02:19PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
CAS
And moral cripples.

I do think those sorts of jobs fresh out of college are a good way to learn how the system works and how to fix it, for those inclined to try to do so.
let me tell you ... that is almost never how it works.

i'm not even trying to be judgy here, i'm just telling you that the number of people who go in to law school interested in public interest work is a lot higher than the number that ever do. i'm going to walk away from the mirror now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2020 02:22PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-146.myvzw.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 02:25PM

ugarte
Dafatone
Trotsky
CAS
And moral cripples.

i'm not even trying to be judgy here, i'm just telling you that the number of people who go in to law school interested in public interest work is a lot higher than the number that ever do. i'm going to walk away from the mirror now.

That's fair. As someone currently in law school as kind of a second career thing, one piece of advice I hear a lot is that if you want to do X, work for the people on the other side of X for a few years and then switch over.

Not sure that applies to public interest or doing actual good.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2020 03:12PM

Trotsky, other than your work here, how are you helping humanity? Leading the revolution?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2020 03:55PM

CAS
Trotsky, other than your work here, how are you helping humanity? Leading the revolution?

Well, he does go by Trotsky after all...

Date: March 30, 2020 05:11PM

CAS
I dunno. How's your blood pressure?

Date: March 30, 2020 05:31PM

scoop85
CAS

Well, he does go by Trotsky after all...
In retrospect, perhaps a poor choice.

Date: March 31, 2020 11:09AM

ugarte
Dafatone
Trotsky
CAS
And moral cripples.

Nooooo! You shattered the nobility of the profession. Put those words back, sir.

Date: March 31, 2020 11:14AM

Trotsky
CAS
And moral cripples.
You mean to say, perhaps: taking jobs away from deserving American lacrosse players. Good for them. Also, better those ill-gotten gains you decry are tithed to the Cornell Fund than the Harvard Corporation.

Date: March 31, 2020 11:25AM

billhoward
Trotsky
CAS
And moral cripples.
You mean to say, perhaps: taking jobs away from deserving American lacrosse players. Good for them. Also, better those ill-gotten gains you decry are tithed to the Cornell Fund than the Harvard Corporation.

Granted, a couple wholesome Canadian boys will likely have more integrity than the output of the L.I. --> Rye Country Day School rapist conveyor belt.

Better hockey players than lacrosse players sucking off the vampire squid. I'll give you that.

Come the Revolution it's the National Razor for all of us, so it hardly matters.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 11:33AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:07PM

Apropos of Rye Country Day school, at a meeting of the Cornell Alumni Magazine board, I made a remark about how Cornell is now more worldly than in the old days when every second freshman seemed to hail from Rye Country Day School - there's something about the name that neatly rolls up all prep schools - and Rick Lipsey, the golf writer for Sports Illustrated (when it was still Sports Illustrated) sat up and said, "Hey! I went to Rye Country Day. ... not that your point isn't well taken."

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 05, 2020 08:42PM

BORED!! A guy from Toronto wants to be a Newfie, can't figure how to do it, goes to a doctor. The doctor says, "I'll have to remove one tenth of your brain to do that." Toronto guy says, "Do it!" Later the surgeon rushes into the recovery room and says to the patient, "Sir, I'm so sorry, we misread the instructions on your operation directions. Instead of removing one tenth of your brain we removed seven tenths. Do you understand?" The guy from Toronto looked up and said, "Qu'est que c'est?"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 08:43PM by osorojo.

Posted by: RichH (104.194.220.---)
Date: April 05, 2020 08:55PM

osorojo
BORED!! A guy from Toronto wants to be a Newfie, can't figure how to do it, goes to a doctor. The doctor says, "I'll have to remove one tenth of your brain to do that." Toronto guy says, "Do it!" Later the surgeon rushes into the recovery room and says to the patient, "Sir, I'm so sorry, we misread the instructions on your operation directions. Instead of removing one tenth of your brain we removed seven tenths. Do you understand?" The guy from Toronto looked up and said, "Qu'est que c'est?"

Rough thread to make an out-of-the-blue onanistic post. I know I'm anxious about any news about Captain Morgan, and seeing the "new" flag on here made my few nerves that are left jump.

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: April 05, 2020 09:32PM

RichH
osorojo

Rough thread to make an out-of-the-blue onanistic post. I know I'm anxious about any news about Captain Morgan, and seeing the "new" flag on here made my few nerves that are left jump.

I think it’s time to worry about a season happening let alone worrying about the roster at this point in time. Let’s pray there’s a season and this shitstorm is behind us all before anything else. Personally, I think we are all fucked. That’s just me tho. I’ve been wrong before, hopefully this is another example of it.

Edit: sorry for the drift from the thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 09:35PM by toddlose.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2020 05:16AM

RichH
I know I'm anxious about any news about Captain Morgan, and seeing the "new" flag on here made my few nerves that are left jump.
That would be in Alumni News (inexact; cold).

(When there's a new post here I also have agita.)

(And we both just did it.)
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 05:18AM by Trotsky.

Date: April 06, 2020 08:52AM

Back on track. Protracted worrying about something you have no control over is the definition of "onanistic". Ask around.

Date: April 06, 2020 09:35AM

Caught feeding again.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 09:56AM by RichH.

Date: April 06, 2020 10:35AM

Protracted worrying about something you have no control over is the definition of fandom.

Date: April 06, 2020 11:26AM

Yup. They are synonyms.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2020 01:24PM

I wish you all would stop doing this to me.......

-Ned Harkness

Date: April 06, 2020 01:25PM

redice

twss?

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2020 02:22PM

Trotsky
redice

twss?

HUH!! Damned acronyms...

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2020 06:54PM

Not early per se...

?s=21

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2020 11:36PM

Shouldn't anyone with 32 seasons somewhere have the most wins?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2020 12:09AM

French Rage

You'd think so. Of course it's not exactly a high bar when you retire with an average of fewer than 11 wins per season; any halfway decent coach who replaces him should have a shot at breaking his record if he sticks around for a while. By way of counter-example, Schafer won his 331st game as Cornell's head coach two games into his 17th season.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 23, 2020 01:19AM

French Rage
The quote is misleading, since Gaudet's coaching time is divided between Brown and Dartmouth. Either the 331 wins isn't in 32 years, or the 331 wins isn't the "most in school history."

Edit: it's the first one.

93 wins in 9 years at Brown
331 wins in 23 years at Dartmouth

As for Gaudet, I can't say whether he actively encouraged it but he sure coached a lot of dirty players over the years.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2020 01:24AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2020 11:12AM

Trotsky
French Rage
The quote is misleading, since Gaudet's coaching time is divided between Brown and Dartmouth. Either the 331 wins isn't in 32 years, or the 331 wins isn't the "most in school history."

Edit: it's the first one.

93 wins in 9 years at Brown
331 wins in 23 years at Dartmouth

That makes a little more sense. I didn't really have the time or energy to look up his actual records at Dartmouth last night, but ten and change wins per season was low even for them.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 23, 2020 12:50PM

Beeeej
I didn't really have the time

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2020 05:13AM

Chris '03
Not early per se...

?s=21

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

[Internal monologue] Say something nice ... say something nice ... say something nice. twitch

Seriously though, Gaudet's tenure at Brown and Dartmouth is one of the things that's made the ECAC the ECAC the last 25+ years. (I remember that Princeton-Brown ECAC playoff series from the HOCKEY-L days.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 24, 2020 09:30AM

jtwcornell91
Chris '03
Not early per se...

?s=21

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

[Internal monologue] Say something nice ... say something nice ... say something nice. twitch

Seriously though, Gaudet's tenure at Brown and Dartmouth is one of the things that's made the ECAC the ECAC the last 25+ years. (I remember that Princeton-Brown ECAC playoff series from the HOCKEY-L days.)

Adam
He had a lot of good teams, too. But ones that just never got over the hump. Never won an ECAC championship or made the NCAAs, despite coming close numerous times in the 2000s, as the program churned out future NHL players. It was hard not to root for them — but it never came to be.

People can disagree.

But the trademark of Gaudet's lengthy tenure as an NCAA head coach will be having changed a lot of young men's lives for the better. That is a legacy that will live on longer than all the wins and losses.

Seems like what is always said about a coach who was never quite that successful.

Sorry to bring up a bad one, but one of my most intense memories with you is the 1995 ECAC playoff series against Princeton with Brown. (Brown was the 2 seed and had NCAA aspirations, and Princeton was the 7 seed. Princeton won in 2 OT in Game 3 for its first trip to Lake Placid and Brown fell short of the NCAAs.) I was broadcasting for Princeton at the time, and just hated you guys in that series, it was so fierce. And that first period of Game 3, there was 96 penalty minutes and it was a wild game.

Now that's the Gaudet that many remember.

Date: April 24, 2020 10:56AM

Adam quoting Gaudet
And (Cornell coach Mike) Schafer gets on, and of course my (Zoom) background is the background in my basement, and Schafer's is a background picture of me. And I looked like Chucky, got my brow all furled up.

Zing!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 10:56AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 12:19PM

Gaudet basically had that job for life but it was evident Dartmouth wasn't going to be even a divisional championship threat if he stuck around. I'm curious to see who the next coach will be, although I'm not so sure hockey is on the top of mind of the Dartmouth administration necessarily. I'm sure someone would jump at the opportunity to coach a program that has been around for a while though (even with the recruiting hurdles)

Date: April 24, 2020 12:30PM

Dartmouth is like a guilt-ridden alcoholic. Their default setting is relaxing standards and skirting rules to feed their toxic bro culture.
This is punctuated by operatic moments of repentance when they shut everything down and publicly whip themselves for their transgressions.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-28.myvzw.com)
Date: April 24, 2020 01:36PM

Trotsky
Dartmouth is like a guilt-ridden alcoholic. Their default setting is relaxing standards and skirting rules to feed their toxic bro culture.
This is punctuated by operatic moments of repentance when they shut everything down and publicly whip themselves for their transgressions.

There's a reason I hate them more than Sucks.

Date: April 24, 2020 01:52PM

Trotsky

Operatic: Gaudet is "Throw your clipboard! Clap-clap-clapclapclap." Right?

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 02:18PM

if you were on HOCKEY-L in 1995 and remember the Princeton-Brown series, it's only because of my monumental argument over it - because otherwise it would've been in the void, and no one would've noticed. :)

there's not a lot of excuse for on-bench antics - except to say that it was genuine passion, and not calculated. It also was largely a long time ago. But off the ice, you will never find a better person in college sports.

Date: April 24, 2020 03:26PM

jtwcornell91
Seriously though, Gaudet's tenure at Brown and Dartmouth is one of the things that's made the ECAC the ECAC the last 25+ years.

Second.

He was definitely a "character." Maybe I'm just getting old, but there seem to be fewer characters around these days. Something something social media something something litigious society something something administrative double-speak something something my lawn.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 03:27PM by Scersk '97.

Date: April 24, 2020 03:59PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

Operatic: Gaudet is "Throw your clipboard! Clap-clap-clapclapclap." Right?
IIRC that was Toots Cahoon.

Date: April 24, 2020 04:04PM

Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Seriously though, Gaudet's tenure at Brown and Dartmouth is one of the things that's made the ECAC the ECAC the last 25+ years.

Second.

He was definitely a "character." Maybe I'm just getting old, but there seem to be fewer characters around these days. Something something social media something something litigious society something something administrative double-speak something something my lawn.

I think that's just us getting old. We are less in the loop as we get older so we miss the "new" characters.

People have made that lament in all eras and I don't believe les neiges d'antan were any more striking than today; we were just younger and more romantic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 04:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2020 05:37PM

Scersk '97
Adam quoting Gaudet
And (Cornell coach Mike) Schafer gets on, and of course my (Zoom) background is the background in my basement, and Schafer's is a background picture of me. And I looked like Chucky, got my brow all furled up.

Zing!

Bet it was Mark A.'s picture:

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 06:53PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
jtwcornell91

Second.

I think that's just us getting old. We are less in the loop as we get older so we miss the "new" characters.

People have made that lament in all eras and I don't believe les neiges d'antan were any more striking than today; we were just younger and more romantic.

I just remember him trying to shoot a puck at us during warm-ups at the Garden in 1980 because we kept calling him an ugly sieve. Fortunately he was a goalie - he missed by 20 or 30 feet.

Date: April 24, 2020 07:55PM

I missed that by a year.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2020 09:59PM

Scersk '97

"Characters" sometimes get themselves and their schools in trouble.

Date: April 30, 2020 10:28PM

billhoward
Scersk '97

From what I hear, Ned was quite the character.

Date: May 01, 2020 12:43AM

billhoward
Scersk '97

Mike Addesa and Mark Morris were "characters."

Date: May 01, 2020 11:20AM

Trotsky
billhoward
Scersk '97

Mike Addesa and Mark Morris were "characters."

I did some quick internet digging into the Adessa case a bit ago, because I was very curious about what had gotten such a successful coach dropped so quickly. I found out. He said something that he should not have, and the attitudes that surely were part of generating what he said ought not have been in his heart. Yet people are complex and make mistakes. He certainly paid a price. RPI reacted in a manner that was a bit surprising at the time but wouldn't be surprising at all today. That's progress.

Regarding Morris, I still have questions regarding what happened. One of the constants of the human experience is that people involved in an incident can differ in reporting what happened and be absolutely certain that what they have reported is "the truth." In the absence of evidence, absolute truth is a chimera; even a preponderance of eyewitness testimony does not really constitute evidence. But Morris was most definitely losing control of the team and the program. He needed to go: too bad it happened that way.

Sometimes "characters" operate a bit beyond the pale, or beyond the commonly accepted pale. I have a pretty big pale, but Adessa definitely went beyond it. Morris? I'll never really know, but, even after writing what I wrote above, I suspect he was operating beyond even my pale regarding hockey coaches. Thankfully, his termination was not my decision to make.

I am constantly thankful that we seem to have one of the good characters.

Date: July 15, 2020 01:52AM

Harvard rising Junior defenseman Jack Rathbone signed with Vancouver.

He was a 1st Team All-American, to which I say “huh?” mostly because I can’t remember anything about non-Cornell players from 2020 anymore.

Date: July 15, 2020 09:50AM

Holy shit. He was good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login