Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Corona Virus And Playoff Games

Posted by andyw2100 
Page: Previous123 4 
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Corona Virus And Playoff Games
Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 04:25PM

well fuck.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 04:25PM

it's over. NCAA cancelled all winter sports championships.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 04:26PM by ugarte.

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 04:26PM

osorojo
I just read a revered expert's proclamation from a week ago that the coronavirus is less virulent than the Asian Flu of some years back, and the college hockey playoffs during the Asian Flu epidemic went on uninterrupted. This proposed cancelation is sounding like a liberal con-job.

You want facts etc, yet you don't cite your own. Name them and/or stop trolling

Date: March 12, 2020 04:27PM

Trotsky
MLB suspends.

Jesus, people are gonna have to talk to each other. bolt

Via Skype though?

Date: March 12, 2020 04:28PM

BearLover
osorojo
I just read a revered expert's proclamation from a week ago that the coronavirus is less virulent than the Asian Flu of some years back, and the college hockey playoffs during the Asian Flu epidemic went on uninterrupted. This proposed cancelation is sounding like a liberal con-job.
You are officially the dumbest poster on this forum. Even dumber than me.

And bearlover not only breaks the Mendoza line, he hits for the cycle

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 04:35PM

abmarks
BearLover
osorojo

It's a hockey board. Stick to hockey metaphors.

Posted by: getred (74.217.93.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 04:37PM

Officially over. Damn.

[www.ncaa.com]

Date: March 12, 2020 04:48PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
abmarks
BearLover
osorojo

So you're saying he's moved up from the checking line to the top power play unit?

Date: March 12, 2020 05:00PM

abmarks
Jeff Hopkins '82
abmarks
BearLover
osorojo

So you're saying he's moved up from the checking line to the top power play unit?

I was thinking something along the lines of a Gordie Howe Hat Trick, but yours works better. drunk

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 05:06PM

abmarks
Jeff Hopkins '82
abmarks
BearLover
osorojo

If I remember, Jeff Malott scored a hat trick late in his freshman year after not having scored all season. Maybe it's something like that?

Posted by: cth95 (---.sub-174-220-12.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 05:12PM

A Gordie Howe hat trick then?

Woops, didn't see Jeff's post. That's what I get for posting before finishing scrolling through the thread.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 05:16PM by cth95.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 05:36PM

Trotsky
The only fair solution is to award the 2020 National Championship to the 1970 Cornell hockey team.

+1

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 06:47PM

Yeah, but am I dumber than the guy who did NOTHING to deal with the coronavirus for three whole months, right up to a week ago?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2020 07:14PM

Dafatone
abmarks
Jeff Hopkins '82
abmarks
BearLover
osorojo

If I remember, Jeff Malott scored a hat trick late in his freshman year after not having scored all season. Maybe it's something like that?
I had a joke here, but it involved remembering how to spell "Jiri Kloubocek", so never mind.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 10:26PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ithacat
Some teams get fans, some don't. The life has been sucked out of the season. I'm on board with just cancelling the season at this point and declaring the team currently #1 the National Champ.

#1 in the polls or #1 in the pairwise?

Polls! Isn’t that how it was done in the old days?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 10:37PM

Trotsky
MLB suspends.
Jesus, people are gonna have to talk to each other. bolt
The guy down in the Village who owns an independent bookstore and brings his cat to work, believes there'll be a big uptick in bored people buying print books.

Date: March 13, 2020 12:10PM

The pursuit of excellence is the motive for a love of sports. I detest attempts to digitize excellence in life, women or sports. Turn off your computers and watch the GAME! And when it's over don't digitalize it, chop it into little pieces, rearrange them, and spit them back out.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2020 12:28PM

osorojo
The pursuit of excellence is the motive for a love of sports. I detest attempts to digitize excellence in life, women or sports. Turn off your computers and watch the GAME! And when it's over don't digitalize it, chop it into little pieces, rearrange them, and spit them back out.

Alternative hypothesis: people who demand everyone think like they do are insecure unimaginative authoritarian fucktards.

Also. "Women"? Srsly?

"Turn off your computers!" he typed.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2020 12:34PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2020 12:39PM

osorojo
Turn off your computers and watch the GAME!

Trotsky

"Turn off your computers!" he typed.

Also, with most college hockey games, if you turn off the computer, then you CAN'T watch the game.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2020 12:43PM

osorojo
And when it's over don't digitalize it, chop it into little pieces, rearrange them, and spit them back out.

osorojo, you should know that Cornell hockey led the nation this year in scoring margin from the second half of the second period to the first third of the third period, on alternate Saturdays*, and as a Cornell fan, I'm damned proud of that.

* I've checked these stats carefully. (narrator voice: He hasn't.)

Date: March 13, 2020 02:01PM

Proud? I'm pleased, not proud - since I had no influence upon this team to be proud of. I watched my first men's Cornell hockey game in Lynah Rink in 1959 and have followed the team closely ever since. I love the game, support the team and my alma mater, and rejoice when they excel. I'm old and cranky and don't appreciate multi-page attempts to turn athletic competition into a binary enterprise - not that it isn't!

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2020 08:12PM

Looks like 1 million is gonna be light. Announced cases have increased by a factor of 10 in one week since I said that. Most likely, actual cases are 100 times what's known. That gives us less than a week before we hit 1 million. Hope everyone is taking it seriously now. This all sucks. And yes, the federal government effed it up

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-131.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2020 08:38PM

adamw
Looks like 1 million is gonna be light. Announced cases have increased by a factor of 10 in one week since I said that. Most likely, actual cases are 100 times what's known. That gives us less than a week before we hit 1 million. Hope everyone is taking it seriously now. This all sucks. And yes, the federal government effed it up

If you want to be optimistic, if there are tons and tons of asymptomatic uninfected out there, maybe that means the percentages of people who get hit hard by this is a lot lower than we think.

That's not to downplay the threat. Everyone should stay safe and stay home as much as possible. We'll get back to hockey next year.

Date: March 18, 2020 10:10PM

Dafatone
adamw

If you want to be optimistic, if there are tons and tons of asymptomatic uninfected out there, maybe that means the percentages of people who get hit hard by this is a lot lower than we think.

That's not to downplay the threat. Everyone should stay safe and stay home as much as possible. We'll get back to hockey next year.

Various articles I've read from statisticians and epidemiologists suggest that the percentage of asymptomatic cases is rather high, but clearly undercounted due to the testing shortages. In fact, one article I read suggested that the transmission rate and the rate of asymptomaticity (if that's a word) are actually comparable to conventional flu. Another said that genetically this virus is 80% identical to the original SARS and he expected that the rate of transmission would be comparable, i.e. not especially high. However, a key difference is that the fatality rate was so high with that SARS, that it extinguished itself a lot faster than this one, where this one has such a high rate of asymptomaticity which allows a broader spread.

However, they're still suggesting that we continue "distancing" to reduce the contact between asymptomatic people and uninfected people in order to reduce the spread.

Posted by: RichH (45.41.134.---)
Date: March 18, 2020 11:51PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Various articles I've read from statisticians and epidemiologists suggest that the percentage of asymptomatic cases is rather high, but clearly

From what I've read here, mother effing statheads have ruined everything and must be cast into the rising oceans.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2020 12:04PM

From the Smithsonian magazine a sobering article on the 1919 Stanley Cup: "When the Stanley Cup Final Was Canceled Because of a Pandemic"

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2020 09:24PM

Yeah, that story has been in the news out here in Seattle.

Date: March 26, 2020 05:31PM

still sadly doubling every couple of days.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-174-224-130.myvzw.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 07:23PM

adamw

I've gotten over the worst sadness. But expect April 11th to be another "down" day as I'll know in my heart that I'm missing an inevitable highlight of my life. And, yes, the way this team was performing, I do think it was inevitable. Now, it's just an impossible dream.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2020 09:27PM

redice
adamw

I've gotten over the worst sadness. But expect April 11th to be another "down" day as I'll know in my heart that I'm missing an inevitable highlight of my life. And, yes, the way this team was performing, I do think it was inevitable. Now, it's just an impossible dream.

I’m not sure about “inevitable” but no doubt it was about the best shot we’ve had since 2003

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2020 10:32PM

adamw
But the country will be back on track by Easter. If only POTUS took the advice of Jared and Ivanka to open things for business by Passover (4/8), we could have gone straight from the end of the RS and some first round league playoffs ... to Detroit with teams 1-4 playing at Little Caesars.

Date: March 27, 2020 11:20AM

Let's not do politics here, please.

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 02:47PM

Clearly the corona "Cornell - one" virus was engineered to stop the #1 ranked mens and womens hockey teams and mens lacrosse team from winning 3 national championships ...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 02:48PM by CU77.

Date: March 27, 2020 02:51PM

I blame Harvard.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 03:29PM

billhoward
adamw
But the country will be back on track by Easter. If only POTUS took the advice of Jared and Ivanka to open things for business by Passover (4/8), we could have gone straight from the end of the RS and some first round league playoffs ... to Detroit with teams 1-4 playing at Little Caesars.

Yeah. And if there's still no toilet paper, we can just eat matzot.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2020 05:43PM

don't know what cornell's plan is but i hope they step up

Date: March 30, 2020 01:43PM

Ice rinks across the U.S.A., Canada, the World are closed today, and tomorrow, and . . . Current speculations, even those featuring pages of scores, shots, saves etc. have lost whatever relevance they might ever have had. How about some scientific, numerical predictions on the probability of ANY college hockey games next fall?

Date: March 31, 2020 04:31PM

osorojo
Ice rinks across the U.S.A., Canada, the World are closed today, and tomorrow, and . . . Current speculations, even those featuring pages of scores, shots, saves etc. have lost whatever relevance they might ever have had. How about some scientific, numerical predictions on the probability of ANY college hockey games next fall?

With fans? zero.

If colleges come up with solid plans for dealing with all of this, students can go back to school and there can be fanless events. But that will require organized leadership that I haven't seen.

Date: March 31, 2020 05:27PM

We have no idea right now where we'll be next October. Supposedly human trials for an (as yet non-existent) vaccine won't be complete for 6 months after it is created. After that we'll need mass production and distribution.

I wouldn't count on hockey before 2021-22.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:28PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 02, 2020 08:46PM

Trotsky
We have no idea right now where we'll be next October. Supposedly human trials for an (as yet non-existent) vaccine won't be complete for 6 months after it is created. After that we'll need mass production and distribution.

I wouldn't count on hockey before 2021-22.

I've started taking a MOOC on COVID-19 taught by immunologists at Imperial College London. This week we read:

Ferguson, N., D. Laydon, G. Nedjati Gilani, N. Imai, K. Ainslie, M. Baguelin, S. Bhatia, et al. 2020. “Report 9: Impact of Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions (NPIs) to Reduce COVID19 Mortality and Healthcare Demand.” Report. [doi.org].

This study has gotten a lot of attention lately. It suggests Trotsky's right. Until there's a vaccine we're likely to see repeated waves of the virus. The report suggests this first period of shutdown has to last until late August or September. But without a vaccine repeat waves are likely to reoccur a few weeks later. And this assumes the entire U.S. is doing the maximum to suppress the virus. The report was written before its authors learned that over here we have assholes like Brian Kemp and Rod DeSantis, whose shit-for-brains is likely to increase the likelihood, intensity, and frequency with which the waves repeat nationally.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 08:49PM by Swampy.

Posted by: cu155 (---.static.gorillaservers.com)
Date: April 02, 2020 10:54PM

Meanwhile, here in Shanghai people are close to acting like things are business as normal, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
1) In theory everyone is required to present a green/yellow/red QR code on their phone to gain access to buildings. QR code is meant to change color based on big papa govt. tracking of proximity to known cases. In practice they are making people like me (blond, blue eyes, big nose) display a code but if you look ethnically Chinese you just get waived through. This includes people who are now free to travel from Hubei province who may/may not be asymptomatic carriers.
2) I have yet to see a single person in my office building make even an attempt at washing their hands correctly.
3) While in theory everyone is supposed to wear masks, some do not, and those that do are just recycling the same basic surgical mask with no attempt to follow any kind of sterile guidelines.
4) Temperatures are taken upon entrance to many buildings but the thermometer calibration is so far off as to be useless. My temperature this morning was 32 deg C...I'm pretty sure that means I should be starring in a Weekend at Bernie's remake.
5) My physician friends in SH and BJ suggest that hospital ICU beds are currently heavily utilized but they are very careful about what they say and where they say it as they don't want to suddenly be peeling garlic in a reeducation center in Xinjiang.

There's plenty of political spin and stupid going around here as well, I think we are in for a long ride.

Date: April 03, 2020 01:53PM

cu155
Meanwhile, here in Shanghai people are close to acting like things are business as normal, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
1) In theory everyone is required to present a green/yellow/red QR code on their phone to gain access to buildings. QR code is meant to change color based on big papa govt. tracking of proximity to known cases. In practice they are making people like me (blond, blue eyes, big nose) display a code but if you look ethnically Chinese you just get waived through. This includes people who are now free to travel from Hubei province who may/may not be asymptomatic carriers.
2) I have yet to see a single person in my office building make even an attempt at washing their hands correctly.
3) While in theory everyone is supposed to wear masks, some do not, and those that do are just recycling the same basic surgical mask with no attempt to follow any kind of sterile guidelines.
4) Temperatures are taken upon entrance to many buildings but the thermometer calibration is so far off as to be useless. My temperature this morning was 32 deg C...I'm pretty sure that means I should be starring in a Weekend at Bernie's remake.
5) My physician friends in SH and BJ suggest that hospital ICU beds are currently heavily utilized but they are very careful about what they say and where they say it as they don't want to suddenly be peeling garlic in a reeducation center in Xinjiang.

There's plenty of political spin and stupid going around here as well, I think we are in for a long ride.

Meantime, back here, we're a country with 4.25% of the world's population but 25% of its COVID-19 cases. OK, we're still only doing diagnostic testing. Oh wait, expanding testing here could only increase our share of the world's COVID-positives. Maybe other countries are testing even less than we are, so they have more cases than they're reporting. But it's harder to fake death: we currently have 12% of the world's deaths, even though we got started late.

The gaslight dujour here is to compare us with China and then claim China is cooking the books. I suspect even if we took China out of the world totals and compared us to what's left, we'd still look awful. But besides your direct observations, do you have any sense of whether China is indeed cooking the books on the total numbers infected and dead from the disease, either for China as a whole or for individual cities like Shanghai?

Posted by: toddlose (73.194.146.---)
Date: April 03, 2020 02:11PM

Swampy
cu155

Meantime, back here, we're a country with 4.25% of the world's population but 25% of its COVID-19 cases. OK, we're still only doing diagnostic testing. Oh wait, expanding testing here could only increase our share of the world's COVID-positives. Maybe other countries are testing even less than we are, so they have more cases than they're reporting. But it's harder to fake death: we currently have 12% of the world's deaths, even though we got started late.

The gaslight dujour here is to compare us with China and then claim China is cooking the books. I suspect even if we took China out of the world totals and compared us to what's left, we'd still look awful. But besides your direct observations, do you have any sense of whether China is indeed cooking the books on the total numbers infected and dead from the disease, either for China as a whole or for individual cities like Shanghai?

Google “China funeral urns”.

Date: April 03, 2020 03:55PM

toddlose
Swampy
cu155

Google “China funeral urns”.

Also learn about the Great Leap Forward. The official position was that maybe a million people died. Recently the archives opened, and the actual numbers were closer to 45 million.

Or a smaller example: about 10 years ago there was a major derailment on the main Beijing to Shanghai high speed rail line. The initial response by the government was to bury the train cars, bodies and all, so there would be no evidence of the crash. However, the locals stopped the bulldozers and eventually the bodies were recovered mostly by the people, not the government. A 200-300 people were killed. However, the "official" number was 38 people dead. Why 38? Because a law was passed a few years earlier that any incident above 40 people required an official investigation of the government and party leaders. So 38 it was.

Do not trust any numbers or statistics from the CPC.

Date: April 03, 2020 07:35PM

Hockey season is truly over now. Defending government incompetence in The U.S.A. by attacking the honesty of the Chinese leaders sounds like something they do at Harvard. I'm sure the dolts in attendance there accept this as whole cloth.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2020 08:54PM

Every government is lying to look better. Here, there is a simultaneous dance where the Administration wants to make sure people take it seriously but not so seriously that they get mad at the government for waiting so long to take it seriously. We're intentionally undercounting our COVID-19 cases by under-testing and attributing anything that isn't a confirmed-by-test illness or death as a coronavirus case to something else. It's straight up juking the stats. Our numbers would look worse if we were being honest and it's pretty clear that China has been bullshitting for a while too. Japan lied about their numbers until it was clear that the Tokyo games couldn't go forward and then they started being a bit more honest. As bad as Italy is, it sounds like they avoid counting COVID cases too, so their numbers could be even worse.

South Korea and maybe Germany appear to be the only countries being genuinely honest about their methods and successes.

this is basically a repeat of a twitter thread here, and someone replied with evidence that Italy is juking the stats

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 09:17PM by ugarte.

Date: April 04, 2020 08:03PM

Thanks everyone. These are very helpful, knowledgeable posts.

But getting back to the simple calculations I reported, they're pretty damning. We have 4.25% of the world's population, 25% of the infections, and 12.5% of the deaths. What amazes me is that even the allegedly anti-Trump media (e.g., MSNBC) does not highlight such comparisons.

Ugarte, some smart masters student will decompose U.S. death statistics to figure out the gap. Use historical data to estimate a "normal" death rate. Attribute the entire increment to a higher rate to COVID-19. Subtract the "official" COVID death rate from it, and the residual is a combination of the juking and collateral damage (i.e., deaths from other causes but attributable to COVID; e.g., a heart attack patient who was never treated because there was no room at the hospital).

Oh, and we can adjust for China, or any other country, screwing around with the numbers by simply removing the China data from the world totals and recalculating.

Posted by: cu155 (---.static.gorillaservers.com)
Date: April 05, 2020 12:32AM

Swampy

Swampy, I want to be clear my comments in my original post were definitely not meant in any way to deflect from the shamefully poor response of our Federal government and of many state governments. I'm merely trying to provide some contrast in terms of what is being done on the ground here versus the US approach. FWIW I've had Fox news anchors call me a 'panda hugger' so it's not that I'm blindly anti China or pro USA.

To answer your questions, yes I do have some direct understanding of what is happening here. I know two hospital heads, one in Shanghai and one in Beijing who have told me privately that they are seeing a significant number of patients that are local transmission cases, not returning foreigners or Chinese nationals who are bringing the disease back. To my understanding the numbers are significant but not to crisis level at this time. I also know that an apartment complex (one complex might be home to 5000 plus people) in my district in China was recently re-quarantined due to positive tests. However, those new positives have not been applied to my district's overall case numbers which have been kept at 6 for the past 2 months. I also personally know more than 6 people who have tested positive so can say with some confidence that they are being cagey about the numbers.

The reality of the situation is that China did move fairly quickly but that a lot of what they are doing is window dressing and not completely effective. However, their approach is still more than we are seeing in the US. But as with anything the government does in China optics are important.

The Chinese government's overriding directive is always to maintain social stability. They remember the Cultural Revolution and do not want to go back to that. What I suspect is happening is that they are keeping numbers artificially low for a few reasons.
1) They are worried about the economy and are hoping that they can get people back to work while at the same time keeping just enough controls in place to manage new cases.
2) They are hoping that in doing this the number of new cases will be low enough that they can continue to under report numbers and keep the situation controlled until there is a vaccine.
3) They want to be able to show China as a model of excellence in fighting the pandemic both for a domestic audience who were quite critical of the government when this first got bad, as well as to a global audience to show China as an alternative to the US.

China just had a national day of mourning for victims of the 'war' yesterday. They played air raid sirens in all cities for ten minutes, and everyone driving stopped to honk their horns in solidarity. They also played several documentaries from Wuhan. What was interesting was how they approached the political angle. The central message was effectively that the leaders of Wuhan let down the people and left the people to fend for themselves and so the people came together as one to care for each other, survive and sacrifice. This is the central government's playbook in situations like this. Blame the local government, blame the corrupt head of the high speed train network etc. (rightly or wrongly), then inject emotional stories about how the people and nation rallied together to help each other.

I don't know if we'll ever get totally accurate numbers if/when this whole situation resolves but I do hope that the US and China and other nations take a long hard look at what failed and what did work and implement best practices to prevent this in future.

Posted by: profudge (---.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2020 10:10AM

Check out the Washington Post article: Denial and Dysfunction plagued US Government as coronavirus raged ... for a good press overview of things not going so well.

Date: April 05, 2020 10:18AM

Darwin was right.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2020 05:11PM

An excellent lesson on COVID-19 by a very effective teacher.

Page: Previous123 4 
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login