Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Corona Virus And Playoff Games

Posted by andyw2100 
Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Corona Virus And Playoff Games
Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 03:48PM

For the record, the Ivy League statement said individual institutions will get to decide on Winter sports seasons. Given how near the end is for both the Men's and Women's teams and assuming the NCAA still has the event in some fashion (whether it's in front of empty stadiums, etc.), I very much doubt we'll make the move to end those seasons.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 03:48PM

CU2007
semsox
Uh oh...

This isn’t going to end well. Once one domino falls...
Holy. Shit.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:03PM

semsox
For the record, the Ivy League statement said individual institutions will get to decide on Winter sports seasons. Given how near the end is for both the Men's and Women's teams and assuming the NCAA still has the event in some fashion (whether it's in front of empty stadiums, etc.), I very much doubt we'll make the move to end those seasons.

I really wouldn't be counting on anything at this point.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:08PM

adamw
semsox

I really wouldn't be counting on anything at this point.

Except uncertainty demented

Date: March 11, 2020 04:22PM

It occurs to me that with Harvard out they should reseed.

7 Yale at 4 RPI
8 Colgate at 3 Quinnipiac
11 Princeton at 2 Clarkson
1 Cornell bye

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:27PM

Trotsky
It occurs to me that with Harvard out they should reseed.

7 Yale at 4 RPI
8 Colgate at 3 Quinnipiac
11 Princeton at 2 Clarkson
1 Cornell bye
interesting. less hockey before it all goes away but interesting.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:35PM

NCAA is recommending everything be played in empty arenas with skeleton staff [www.ncaa.org]

Date: March 11, 2020 04:39PM

ugarte
NCAA is recommending everything be played in empty arenas with skeleton staff [www.ncaa.org]

Ah, shit.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:42PM

lets just hope they keep playing

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-10.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:43PM

upprdeck

This is where I'm at. I'm all for drastic measures, and I think barring fans is the right move.

But playing the games in front of an empty crowd seems low risk enough.

Date: March 11, 2020 04:45PM

can you really think that the kids are more at risk playing than sitting around? if they play in empty arenas is that more of an issue than going to the grocery store?

Posted by: French Rage (---.mediazone.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:52PM

Dafatone
upprdeck

This is where I'm at. I'm all for drastic measures, and I think barring fans is the right move.

But playing the games in front of an empty crowd seems low risk enough.

Yeah at this point I'd come to peace with not being there in person, but I still want there to be games.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 04:54PM

Jim Hyla
Just got an email from Tickets about my refund. They are giving back $6/ticket, which seems low, but I'll have to look at my season ticket prices.

Our local newspaper tries a similar stunt (if your newspaper is not delivered)... They offer up a $.058 refund for a Sunday newspaper that costs $3 on the newstand. Thieves!! When I object and point out that I paid $3 for a replacement newspaper AND, that the newspaper is probably actually worth far less, they will cough up the full $3 refund. I guess you can't hate them for trying (to screw me).

Date: March 11, 2020 05:00PM

i am still trying to find anything that says how much the ecac tickets really cost.. But I know the tickets were not $6 this week

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 05:00PM

upprdeck
can you really think that the kids are more at risk playing than sitting around? if they play in empty arenas is that more of an issue than going to the grocery store?

+1

Date: March 11, 2020 05:02PM

Just got this email.

WEAR YOUR RED FOR PLAYOFF WEEKEND!

MARCH 13TH - 15TH

Help us make Lynah Rink a “C” of Red for the HOME PLAYOFF games
We want ALL in attendance wearing RED.
Please wear a RED Cornell hockey jersey, a RED sweatshirt, a RED jacket or anything RED to show your team spirit and support our team!
#YellCornell

Mike Schafer
mcs14@cornell.edu
607-327-1069

Date: March 11, 2020 05:15PM

Martha's email to campus would imply life goes on as normal until break and thats after hockey gets thru to the end of the ECAC so Cornell should at least finish that much. After that things may be worse or better and re-address.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 05:17PM

Jim Hyla
Just got this email.

WEAR YOUR RED FOR PLAYOFF WEEKEND!

MARCH 13TH - 15TH

Help us make Lynah Rink a “C” of Red for the HOME PLAYOFF games
We want ALL in attendance wearing RED.
Please wear a RED Cornell hockey jersey, a RED sweatshirt, a RED jacket or anything RED to show your team spirit and support our team!
#YellCornell

Mike Schafer
mcs14@cornell.edu
607-327-1069

Yeah, I received that too. Guessing someone pre-scheduled the delivery of those and forgot they had done that.

Nothing like rubbing some salt in the wound...

Date: March 11, 2020 05:23PM

upprdeck
i am still trying to find anything that says how much the ecac tickets really cost.. But I know the tickets were not $6 this week

A friend of mine bought tix for Friday's game @ $20 each. They told him that he will be refunded the full $20 per ticket. It just doesn't seem right that season ticketholders would be refunded an amount so far below face-value.

Date: March 11, 2020 05:29PM

I found my notes from last year and $6 was that refund too.. I just cant believe thats what we were really charged last summer when they came out but maybe.

Date: March 11, 2020 05:37PM

upprdeck
I found my notes from last year and $6 was that refund too.. I just cant believe thats what we were really charged last summer when they came out but maybe.

Just because they got away with thievery last year, doesn't make it right THIS YEAR! They're going to make a bundle on this game without allowing many people to see the game live. That's a sin!

Date: March 11, 2020 05:45PM

not sure how they are making money on the game if thats what they really charged though. And its not their money anyway.. None of the playoff money goes to Cornell.

Date: March 11, 2020 05:52PM

Just saw on Huffington Post that the NCAA will play the Basketball tourney in closed houses (family and critical personnel only).

I think we can assume there will be no more spectators at hockey games, either in LP or the NCAA's.

Posted by: Chris H82 (172.58.46.---)
Date: March 11, 2020 05:54PM

And no fans in regionals or FF: NCAA announcement

Date: March 11, 2020 05:58PM

Chris H82
And no fans in regionals or FF: NCAA announcement

Yeah, I read the statement after I posted.

Date: March 11, 2020 06:07PM

upprdeck
not sure how they are making money on the game if thats what they really charged though. And its not their money anyway.. None of the playoff money goes to Cornell.

If it's $20 face-value ticket and they're refunding only $6 to the customer, SOMEBODY is making money!!! And, I don't give a damn if it's Cornell or whomever. It's being taken from the customer (we fans)!! That's wrong!!

To be clear, this is common practice in many areas of business; both athletics & non-athletics. It is a "screw you, customer, we're going to do it and we don't care if you like/dislike it!" mentality.... In some cases, I discontinue doing business with businesses that pull that crap.. I enjoy Cornell Hockey too much to do that. I know pulling my business does not affect the business. But, it removes my exposure to their thievery. I prefer to do business with honorable business people... They are becoming harder to find.

Date: March 11, 2020 06:15PM

but I cant find where we really paid $20 for it. we could have gotten a deal. the question is what was face value for all the regular tickets.

Posted by: marty (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 06:16PM

redice
upprdeck

If it's $20 face-value ticket and they're refunding only $6 to the customer, SOMEBODY is making money!!! And, I don't give a damn if it's Cornell or whomever. It's being taken from the customer (we fans)!! That's wrong!!

To be clear, this is common practice in many areas of business; both athletics & non-athletics. It is a "screw you, customer, we're going to do it and we don't care if you like/dislike it!" mentality.... In some cases, I discontinue doing business with businesses that pull that crap.. I enjoy Cornell Hockey too much to do that. I know pulling my business does not affect the business. But, it removes my exposure to their thievery. I prefer to do business with honorable business people... They are becoming harder to find.

Jim can do the math. It's a season ticket. They are usually less than the cost of individual games. If Cornell increases the price for the quarterfinals vs the rest of the games this doesn't change what a season ticket holder paid in September.

Date: March 11, 2020 06:23PM

I am not saying we are not getting ripped off either... I just dont think its as simple as $20 vs $6. Cornell could have charged us $10 and sent $6 to the ECAC for their cut months ago too and maybe thats what the ECAC sends them back.. The hard part is not really knowing since it seems to be hidden in the costs up front. Have to try and remember if you can remove the ECAC package up front next yr so its easier to see. Or maybe in 2-3 yrs hen hockey starts up again.

Date: March 11, 2020 06:43PM

upprdeck
I am not saying we are not getting ripped off either... I just dont think its as simple as $20 vs $6. Cornell could have charged us $10 and sent $6 to the ECAC for their cut months ago too and maybe thats what the ECAC sends them back.. The hard part is not really knowing since it seems to be hidden in the costs up front. Have to try and remember if you can remove the ECAC package up front next yr so its easier to see. Or maybe in 2-3 yrs hen hockey starts up again.

I agree that it'd not a simple $14 ripoff. But, they ARE ripping us off and saying it's in the hands of someone else (ECACHL) doesn't make it more tolerable. They need to make us whole. It's only a few dollars for each of us. But, for the whole crowd, somebody is making a bundle for providing NOTHING!!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2020 07:04PM

redice
upprdeck

I agree that it'd not a simple $14 ripoff. But, they ARE ripping us off and saying it's in the hands of someone else (ECACHL) doesn't make it more tolerable. They need to make us whole. It's only a few dollars for each of us. But, for the whole crowd, somebody is making a bundle for providing NOTHING!!

I'm guessing the season tickets are no longer available with/without playoffs. Back when that was the case, it was easy to tell what the differential cost of the playoff games was.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 11, 2020 07:09PM

Jim Hyla
Just got an email from Tickets about my refund. They are giving back $6/ticket, which seems low, but I'll have to look at my season ticket prices.

Löwen Frankfurt are offering a deal where playoff tickets can be replaced with the same tickets to the first two games next season, and we get a commemorative t-shirt (which they were going to sell for 5€ at the games) for free. Notwithstanding the price difference between playoff and regular season tickets, I don't know if we'll be here in the fall, or if the first two RS games will fit our schedule (we can basically only blow the kiddo's bedtime for Friday night games), so I'll go for the refund. But I may still buy the t-shirt for the playoffs that weren't.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 08:10PM

Obviously we're all praying that winter sports will be allowed to continue through the championships until early April. But it looks like we're going to have to watch the games on TV unless (a) as individuals we can score guest passes or (b) they develop a vaccine.

So this brings up the logical next question, will TV crews be allowed in to televise the games? And if they are, do they have to wear hazmat suits?

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 08:37PM

redice
upprdeck

A friend of mine bought tix for Friday's game @ $20 each. They told him that he will be refunded the full $20 per ticket. It just doesn't seem right that season ticketholders would be refunded an amount so far below face-value.
do you pay full single-game price for a season ticket? if not, it's not entirely unreasonable to refund less than the single-game price for a voided playoff ticket.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 08:42PM

Per CHN: The ECAC will reseed, and with Yale following Harvard's lead, top-seeded Cornell and No. 2 Clarkson will have byes to the semifinals. The league still plans to allow fans into 1980 Olympic Arena, but the report rightly notes that "it's a fluid situation changing very rapidly."

Date: March 11, 2020 08:52PM

ugarte
redice
upprdeck

do you pay full single-game price for a season ticket? if not, it's not entirely unreasonable to refund less than the single-game price for a voided playoff ticket.

The issue with this sort of thing is that usually there's a discounted price per game for a season ticket, but all games are not equal. If all games were equal, then divide the price of a season's ticket by the number of games, and you have the per-game price. But two problems arise. (1) Clearly a playoff game has greater value than most ordinary in-season games. If this is reflected in the per-game pricing, then the refund value of a playoff game for a season ticket holder should be proportionate to the price of an individual playoff ticket compared to that of an ordinary game.

But (2) makes this much more complicated. (2) At the beginning of the season there's no guarantee the team will be playing in the playoffs, particularly at home. So the fact that a season ticket includes home playoff games, if any, involves a gamble.

I'm sure jtw can figure out an equitable way to place a value on the gamble, but unfortunately Cornell's Athletic Department cannot. Besides, who ever heard of the house giving even odds on a gamble?

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 09:00PM

Swampy
I'm sure jtw can figure out an equitable way to place a value on the gamble, but unfortunately Cornell's Athletic Department cannot. Besides, who ever heard of the house giving even odds on a gamble?
my formula for the "fair" "value" of a playoff ticket to a season ticketholder is this:

(season ticket price - (single-game price x regular season games)) / number of playoff games

there are more generous formulations but that is minimum fairness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 09:02PM by ugarte.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 09:04PM

kingpin248
Per CHN: The ECAC will reseed, and with Yale following Harvard's lead, top-seeded Cornell and No. 2 Clarkson will have byes to the semifinals. The league still plans to allow fans into 1980 Olympic Arena, but the report rightly notes that "it's a fluid situation changing very rapidly."

Interesting development and probably the right approach to this. Assuming LP happens (and as we have seen that may be a big if) our guys will have a lot of time off.

Date: March 11, 2020 09:04PM

so did yale just give up on the bball team as well and harvard .dang maybe cornell can make it if a few more give up

Date: March 11, 2020 09:06PM

kingpin248

Shit! pain

I woke up this morning looking forward to watching four high-level Cornell games this coming weekend. Now, I'm down to one!

Maybe a silver lining will be that everyone who would ordinarily view or attend the men's hockey games and/or lacrosse match but skip the women's game will now view the women's NC$$ quarterfinal at 2 PM this Saturday.

It is going to be televised, isn't it? Somebody please tell me "Yes." cry

Date: March 11, 2020 09:14PM

Swampy
kingpin248

Shit! pain

I woke up this morning looking forward to watching four high-level Cornell games this coming weekend. Now, I'm down to one!

Maybe a silver lining will be that everyone who would ordinarily view or attend the men's hockey games and/or lacrosse match but skip the women's game will now view the women's NC$$ quarterfinal at 2 PM this Saturday.

It is going to be televised, isn't it? Somebody please tell me "Yes." cry

Yes, there’s a link on the Cornell Women’s thread.

Date: March 11, 2020 09:40PM

So the NBA season is now suspended after Rudy Gobert of the Jazz tested positive for the virus (why he was tested I have no idea, since he said he was feeling well enough to play). Hard to see any sports events going forward at this point.

Date: March 11, 2020 09:59PM

ugarte
redice
upprdeck

That's obvious. But, I'm pretty sure I didn't pay just $6 per ticket for the playoff ticket. There's an inequity here. That's my point!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 10:21PM

Wormer dropped the Big One. Only a matter of time til Lake Placid does it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 10:26PM

NBA suspends season. Not sure if MLB will cancel Spring Training.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 10:27PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 11, 2020 10:29PM

Trotsky
Wormer dropped the Big One. Only a matter of time til Lake Placid does it.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 11:07PM

Lots of discussion about $6 refunds on $20 (or close to it) tickets. But let's look at the big numbers / big issues as they apply not only to Cornell but to all the schools that are canceling "in-person" classes and sending the students home. Will the schools be issuing partial tuition refunds? The students did not pay for "distance learning." It doesn't seem at all fair to charge as much for that type of education as for what the student expected when the tuition was paid. What about housing? Are the schools going to issue partial refunds on housing, meal plans, etc.

There is some serious money at stake here.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 11:11PM

andyw2100
Lots of discussion about $6 refunds on $20 (or close to it) tickets. But let's look at the big numbers / big issues as they apply not only to Cornell but to all the schools that are canceling "in-person" classes and sending the students home. Will the schools be issuing partial tuition refunds? The students did not pay for "distance learning." It doesn't seem at all fair to charge as much for that type of education as for what the student expected when the tuition was paid. What about housing? Are the schools going to issue partial refunds on housing, meal plans, etc.

I figure they have to give partial refunds on housing. As to tuition itself, they're probably safe but who knows.

Date: March 11, 2020 11:21PM

Dafatone
andyw2100

I figure they have to give partial refunds on housing. As to tuition itself, they're probably safe but who knows.

Was just reading an article in the NYT about that. A bigger issue is foreign students whose student visas don't allow them to take online classes.

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: March 11, 2020 11:35PM

Not sure I agree that reseeding the ecacs is good for us.

-we'll be off for three weeks by the time the ecac semi rolls around. That's an awful lot of rust to shake off before game time in LP.

-wonder what the pwr implications are from not playing the extra two games. We are so close to the #2 spot would 2 more wins be enough to nudge us up in rpi? Or would they not help since Princeton is such a bad team?

Then again, probably much more pwr downside from the tiny chance we drop a game than from the quick sweep?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 11:40PM

scoop85
So the NBA season is now suspended after Rudy Gobert of the Jazz tested positive for the virus (why he was tested I have no idea, since he said he was feeling well enough to play). Hard to see any sports events going forward at this point.

I suppose if no player/coach in the sport has caught it yet, there's a chance it goes on. But the NBA certainly is going to set a precedent that if anyone close to it comes down with the virus that the hammer will come down.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-10.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 11:43PM

abmarks
Not sure I agree that reseeding the ecacs is good for us.

-we'll be off for three weeks by the time the ecac semi rolls around. That's an awful lot of rust to shake off before game time in LP.

-wonder what the pwr implications are from not playing the extra two games. We are so close to the #2 spot would 2 more wins be enough to nudge us up in rpi? Or would they not help since Princeton is such a bad team?

Then again, probably much more pwr downside from the tiny chance we drop a game than from the quick sweep?

I have to figure there's some, but very little, upside to winning in the pairwise. And if we lose, it'd hurt bad.

I'm worried about the rust. I'm more worried about whether we play the rest of the season. And I'm even more worried about getting through this damned thing while minimizing the crisis.

But the rust, too.

Date: March 11, 2020 11:45PM

The pep band has been told they are done for the year FWIW.

Someone asked if it's any more dangerous for the players to play a game vs going to the supermarket and so far everyone responding to that agreed it's the same risk. But that's nonsense. You get the virus via eyes, nose, or mouth and it's transmitted in mucus though not sweat, right?

So what's higher risk-waiting in line at the grocery store or grinding for the puck on the boards with one or more opponents in the middle of the third period? It's got to be that the game is much higher risk and with those close quarters like that.

Though if I were a player that used a wire cage, I'd be swapping for the clear shield asap since itd block far more flying bits of stuff.

Also, arguably the risk isn't in playing a game. Isn't there way more close contact and equipment sharing in the locker room or weight room every day during practices than you'd get in a game? Just look how common it is for teams to have a bunch of people go down with the flu once one guy gets it.

Date: March 12, 2020 03:30AM

Dafatone
andyw2100

I'm assuming most affected organizations have business interruption insurance like what kicked in after Katrina. But I wonder if this will sink the insurance companies with everyone filling claims everywhere all at once.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.142.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 03:39AM

jtwcornell91
Dafatone
andyw2100

I'm assuming most affected organizations have business interruption insurance like what kicked in after Katrina. But I wonder if this will sink the insurance companies with everyone filling claims everywhere all at once.

what are you even talking about? Insurance won't pay tips to waiters, wages to cooks and taxi/uber drivers. Won't pay shit to nobody that needs it.

Date: March 12, 2020 08:38AM

jtwcornell91
Dafatone
andyw2100

My agent said our business interruption insurance won’t cover us for this type of situation. I need to review our policy carefullly.

Date: March 12, 2020 09:11AM

Another cancellation, Friday's Coach's Club Luncheon. The reason, CU won't allow a luncheon of more than 100 people, which usually happens.

So rather than limit it to the first 98, they cancel it?

Posted by: toddlose (73.194.146.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 09:12AM

scoop85
jtwcornell91
Dafatone
andyw2100

My agent said our business interruption insurance won’t cover us for this type of situation. I need to review our policy carefullly.

I’ve read most insurance companies won’t cover pandemics. You need to buy that separately. Not too shocking to me after years of dealing with them as a business owner.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 09:17AM

So can Kaldis still set the games played record?

Posted by: cufan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 09:41AM

Ever since the Coach induced flop in the 73 Semi's I have been waiting for an opportunity to cheer the Red on In Person at the Frozen Four.
This was to be the year. fly to Detroit city, sit in the Arena ON THE GODAMN GLASS NO LESS, and whoop it up.
But NOOOO
Do not Fly up from south Florida, do not enter the arena, and hope like hell that the NCAA refunds my money in a timely fashion.

SIGH
TWS, ILR '74

Date: March 12, 2020 10:09AM

abmarks

Someone asked if it's any more dangerous for the players to play a game vs going to the supermarket and so far everyone responding to that agreed it's the same risk. But that's nonsense. You get the virus via eyes, nose, or mouth and it's transmitted in mucus though not sweat, right?

So what's higher risk-waiting in line at the grocery store or grinding for the puck on the boards with one or more opponents in the middle of the third period? It's got to be that the game is much higher risk and with those close quarters like that.

Though if I were a player that used a wire cage, I'd be swapping for the clear shield asap since itd block far more flying bits of stuff.

Also, arguably the risk isn't in playing a game. Isn't there way more close contact and equipment sharing in the locker room or weight room every day during practices than you'd get in a game? Just look how common it is for teams to have a bunch of people go down with the flu once one guy gets it.

Your analogy is faulty. If they could ban going to the grocery store too, they would.

And the issue is not primarily the risk to the players. Instead, it's the risk they transmit it to others outside the team. Of course, in a contact sport, with both teammates and opponents, the transmission probability is higher than that of grocery shopping, except perhaps for cucumbers

Besides limiting the overall number of cases, it's important to slow the rate at which the disease is transmitted. This is because our medical system can't handle its current case load PLUS the additional load from the pandemic unless the latter is slowed. Part of Italy's problem is its geographic lack of capacity relative to need.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 10:09AM by Swampy.

Date: March 12, 2020 10:19AM

cufan
Ever since the Coach induced flop in the 73 Semi's I have been waiting for an opportunity to cheer the Red on In Person at the Frozen Four.
This was to be the year. fly to Detroit city, sit in the Arena ON THE GODAMN GLASS NO LESS, and whoop it up.
But NOOOO
Do not Fly up from south Florida, do not enter the arena, and hope like hell that the NCAA refunds my money in a timely fashion.

SIGH
TWS, ILR '74

That's the next question: How much of our money does the greedy NC$$ refund? I'm betting that it won't be 100% of what I sent to them!!asshole

Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.213.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 10:44AM

nshapiro
So can Kaldis still set the games played record?

Assuming nothing else gets cancelled, the Big Red has a maximum of 6 games left (2 LP, 4 NCAA). So yes.

Date: March 12, 2020 11:02AM

Swampy
abmarks

Your analogy is faulty. If they could ban going to the grocery store too, they would.

And the issue is not primarily the risk to the players. Instead, it's the risk they transmit it to others outside the team. Of course, in a contact sport, with both teammates and opponents, the transmission probability is higher than that of grocery shopping, except perhaps for cucumbers

Besides limiting the overall number of cases, it's important to slow the rate at which the disease is transmitted. This is because our medical system can't handle its current case load PLUS the additional load from the pandemic unless the latter is slowed. Part of Italy's problem is its geographic lack of capacity relative to need.

Swampy- pretty sure my post supports your argument in the first place.

It's not my analogy. I was responding to others and pointing out that, regardless of the grocery store risk level, playing a game is worse, and not just because of the single game, but because the leadup to the game requires all those practice sessions.

You're correct that transmission is the real issue. But the argument is the same whether you're talking about risk of players being exposed to the virus or the players becoming transmitters.

Playing the games at all will make the players more likely to be both patients and transmitters.

Date: March 12, 2020 11:03AM

abmarks
Playing the games at all will make the players more likely to be both patients and transmitters.

Hey! Ixne on the actsfe.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 11:56AM

It appears that controlling your environment: the people you encounter, the duration of your encounter, and the distance of your encounter - are the critical factors in transmission of the coronavirus. These are factors for which statisticians can provide credible and useful information for hockey playoff schedulers (?!!) and hockey fans.

Date: March 12, 2020 12:31PM

abmarks
Swampy
abmarks

Swampy- pretty sure my post supports your argument in the first place.

It's not my analogy. I was responding to others and pointing out that, regardless of the grocery store risk level, playing a game is worse, and not just because of the single game, but because the leadup to the game requires all those practice sessions.

You're correct that transmission is the real issue. But the argument is the same whether you're talking about risk of players being exposed to the virus or the players becoming transmitters.

Doh. I found the disconnect between me and Swampy. When I read a previous post somewhere way back in these discussions I took the question about "playing a game and going to the grocery store" in a different way.

Pretty sure Swampy, if not most on here would have looked through the lens of the fans... and arguing the relative dangers of grocery shopping and in person game attendance.

I read "playing a game and going to the grocery store" as referring to the risks to the players of playing vs. risk to the players from their regular grocery shooping.

As I understand it, one of the reasons to cancel spring sports like lax was that you'd be having all those practices every day which gather all the players together as well as require coaches and support staff to come in close contact. And by extension, if we're practicing then obviously the student athletes are still concentrated on or near campus at a time when the universities are trying to empty campuses by sending students home.

So I was thinking about the risks specifically to players that might result from continuing their seasons, vs. the risk those players face from going to the grocery store (which they'd be doing regularly whether they are playing hockey or not.)

Date: March 12, 2020 12:48PM

osorojo
It appears that controlling your environment: the people you encounter, the duration of your encounter, and the distance of your encounter - are the critical factors in transmission of the coronavirus. These are factors for which statisticians can provide credible and useful information for hockey playoff schedulers (?!!) and hockey fans.
Real men use the eyeball test for epidemiology.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.sub-174-224-132.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 12:54PM

Date: March 12, 2020 12:56PM

osorojo

Pretty sure that epidemiologists and CDC etc are doing just that to the extent that we know things. But since it's a new virus, what we don't know yet dwarfs what we do know since, especially in the states, we are woefully behind in getting people tested.

Trotsky
abmarks

Hey! Ixne on the actsfe.

Normally I would lol. But the last 48 hours have been a head-turner. The frozen four is 30 days out and with how wide this likely spreads in that time, I'm starting to bet against it getting played. Once one D1 bball player tests positive, or for sure if a D1 hockey player tests positive, my money is on the remainder of any tournaments being cancelled.

Look at it this way. Come to terms now with the tourneys getting a washout, and if by some miracle the NC game gets played, just think how much more exciting it'll be then the other way 'round. (To polish that turd if at all possible).

Date: March 12, 2020 01:19PM

A 2-loss season and finishing with a 9-game wining streak wouldn't be bad.

But man this would be disappointing.

Yes, it's the prudent thing to do.

Stupid prudence.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:24PM

and maybe award the NC to the team that finished #1 in the polls...

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:26PM

Trotsky

But man this would be disappointing.

Yes, it's the prudent thing to do.

Stupid prudence.
+1

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:26PM

underskill

How about a two day tournament with the top four in the pairwise?

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:29PM

toddlose
underskill

fine by me, just make sure Barron hasn't signed w the Rangers before that

Date: March 12, 2020 01:31PM

toddlose
underskill

And we're now in the "bargaining" phase of grief.

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:32PM

underskill
toddlose
underskill

You're assuming NHL season continues....

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-242-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:33PM

KenP
underskill
toddlose
underskill

You're assuming NHL season continues....

NHL suspended. ECAC tournament canceled. Only NCAAS holding out at the moment....

Date: March 12, 2020 01:37PM

underskill

And before someone says the pairwise, that's only a formula designed specifically for picking and seeding the tournament, not for determining who people feel is the best team. For that, you have to go to the polls!

(We all buying this?)

Posted by: sah67 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:41PM

The NHL officially "pauses" their season, leaving the door open to potentially resume and complete the playoffs later this spring:
/photo/1

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 01:49PM

I just read a revered expert's proclamation from a week ago that the coronavirus is less virulent than the Asian Flu of some years back, and the college hockey playoffs during the Asian Flu epidemic went on uninterrupted. This proposed cancelation is sounding like a liberal con-job.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 02:06PM

I don't know why nobody here has stated the obvious...the corona virus is an evil plot created to insure that Cornell never again wins a national championship. It is the only logical explanation.

Date: March 12, 2020 02:12PM

nshapiro
I don't know why nobody here has stated the obvious...the corona virus is an evil plot created to insure that Cornell never again wins a national championship. It is the only logical explanation.
It goes without saying.

Posted by: BMac (---.compute-1.amazonaws.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 02:28PM

Hockey East Tournament cancelled

[www.si.com]

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-1.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 02:37PM

Duke and Kansas pulling out of March Madness which will kill March Madness.

That’ll be a wrap on Cornell’s hockey season.

Date: March 12, 2020 02:41PM

Wasn't Allentown's entire economy depending on this?

Date: March 12, 2020 02:50PM

Trotsky
Wasn't Allentown's entire economy depending on this?

Judging by the usual heavy traffic on Rte. 22 right now, no.

Date: March 12, 2020 02:53PM

The only fair solution is to award the 2020 National Championship to the 1970 Cornell hockey team.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 02:54PM

Trotsky

With the last game being just about the most complete 60 minutes of quality play/all-out effort from Cornell that I can recall from recent memory.

(Looking for the silver lining...)

Date: March 12, 2020 03:09PM

JasonN95
Trotsky

With the last game being just about the most complete 60 minutes of quality play/all-out effort from Cornell that I can recall from recent memory.

We know who the ECAC champion is.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 03:17PM

Trotsky
The only fair solution is to award the 2020 National Championship to the 1970 Cornell hockey team.

Will Ken Dryden accept the trophy? whistle

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: March 12, 2020 03:20PM

ursusminor
Trotsky

B-] Who the hell has that belt anyway. I haven't the mental energy to look elsewhere.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 03:21PM by marty.

Date: March 12, 2020 03:22PM

Trotsky
JasonN95
Trotsky

My serious post: The current situation reminds me of those record books that have asterisks by the years for WWII.

My gallows humor post:

Goddamnit! Yesterday I woke up looking forward to Cornell being a serious NC contender in 3 sports! That's never happened before.

If only the f'n corona virus had waited until a season when our teams suck, like the fall.

Date: March 12, 2020 03:24PM

Swampy
Trotsky
JasonN95
Trotsky

My serious post: The current situation reminds me of those record books that have asterisks by the years for WWII.

My gallows humor post:

Goddamnit! Yesterday I woke up looking forward to Cornell being a serious NC contender in 3 sports! That's never happened before.

If only the f'n corona virus had waited until a season when our teams suck, like the fall.

Why couldn't this happen the year that Union was really good?!

Date: March 12, 2020 03:25PM

marty
ursusminor
Trotsky

B-] Who the hell has that belt anyway. I haven't the mental energy to look elsewhere.
Cornell holds the New York State Belt, the Ivy Belt, the ECAC Belt, and The Belt.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 03:26PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 12, 2020 03:40PM

MLB suspends.

Jesus, people are gonna have to talk to each other. bolt
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 03:41PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 12, 2020 03:42PM

Swampy
The current situation reminds me of those record books that have asterisks by the years for WWII.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-202-21.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2020 03:49PM

osorojo
I just read a revered expert's proclamation from a week ago that the coronavirus is less virulent than the Asian Flu of some years back, and the college hockey playoffs during the Asian Flu epidemic went on uninterrupted. This proposed cancelation is sounding like a liberal con-job.
You are officially the dumbest poster on this forum. Even dumber than me.

Date: March 12, 2020 04:02PM

Trotsky
MLB suspends.

Jesus, people are gonna have to talk to each other. bolt

Or post on hockey forum boards popcorn

Date: March 12, 2020 04:24PM

toddlose
underskill

Just send the captains of each team and Rochambeau for it, best of 7.

Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login