Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Corona Virus And Playoff Games

Posted by andyw2100 
Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Corona Virus And Playoff Games
Posted by: toddlose (73.194.146.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 01:32PM

getred
And, here's the bad news:

[cornellbigredtickets.universitytickets.com]

Well there’s a serious dent in our home ice advantage now.

Posted by: redice (---.bnghny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 01:54PM

This will probably offend some folks but needs to be said:

FUCKING LAWYERS!!!!

They drive the mentality that forced this decision.... Jesus Christ!!!!!

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 01:57PM

toddlose
getred

Maybe they recorded past chants and can pipe them in.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:03PM

Jim Hyla

But yes there might be someone who travels from a virus area. The likely risk of that is very small.
i mean, beeeej would have been there and he touches his face CONSTANTLY

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:03PM

I wonder what this means for the championships in Lake Placid. I imagine Lake Placid relies on the tourism revenue from that weekend quite a bit. Perhaps that will allow them to make a more rational decision.

Date: March 10, 2020 02:07PM

Swampy
toddlose
getred

Maybe they recorded past chants and can pipe them in.

Or maybe we could just infect the visiting teams with the virus and quarantine them so they can't play.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:13PM

andyw2100
I wonder what this means for the championships in Lake Placid. I imagine Lake Placid relies on the tourism revenue from that weekend quite a bit. Perhaps that will allow them to make a more rational decision.

Hotel prices in Placid haven't dropped yet.

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:16PM

I guess the next “logical” step is to cancel all classes and close the campus down. If they can’t be in Lynah, why are they allowed in lecture halls, cafeterias, etc??

Date: March 10, 2020 02:18PM

Just saw they're putting a "containment" around New Rochelle. I guess the school overreacted since now all those Orthodox Jews from there won't be able to spend their Shabbos at Lynah or Schoellkopf. wank

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.142.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:32PM

all the fans should show up as the PU buses show up and yell from outside the building- into microphones running through the PA.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:37PM

The Rancor
all the fans should show up as the PU buses show up and yell from outside the building- into microphones running through the PA.

I actually wondered about the possibility of a bunch of fans showing up to watch the game on ESPN+ from just outside Lynah. I'm guessing, though, since Cornell is still private property Campus Police would disperse any crowd.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:44PM

andyw2100
The Rancor

I actually wondered about the possibility of a bunch of fans showing up to watch the game on ESPN+ from just outside Lynah. I'm guessing, though, since Cornell is still private property Campus Police would disperse any crowd.

Work it out, I'd go.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:47PM

andyw2100

If the powers that be in New York State are pulling any of the strings resulting in the fan-cancel culture we may be in for bad news. ORDA

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:50PM

Now if Q decides it's okay, how can Yale go there and play in front of fans? Shouldn't they be restricted by Ivy policy?

Ixne on that logic please with LP and the NC$$s coming.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 02:50PM

Jim Hyla
In case someone needs newspapers and/or Snickers, let me know. :-D I suddenly have an overabundance of both.

I hope that the Snickers don't get stale waiting for 20-21.

Date: March 10, 2020 02:51PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Just saw they're putting a "containment" around New Rochelle. I guess the school overreacted since now all those Orthodox Jews from there won't be able to spend their Shabbos at Lynah or Schoellkopf. wank
We do have Stienberg.

Date: March 10, 2020 03:05PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
We do have Stienberg.

It actually made me look up whether there was even a Jewish community in Halifax. There is! Whaddya know!

Date: March 10, 2020 03:20PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
We do have Stienberg.
add his name to speling

Date: March 10, 2020 03:29PM

ugarte
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
We do have Stienberg.
add his name to speling

Yep...it's Stienburg, with a "u".

And knowing ugarte, I'm assuming the misspelling of "speling" was intentional?

Date: March 10, 2020 03:47PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
look at the list!

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 03:47PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

I'm sure it is, since that's the actual name of the section over there in the right-hand column of this page. ----->

Date: March 10, 2020 03:57PM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82
look at the list!

D'oh! I actually never looked at the title of the list closely.

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 04:01PM

Date: March 10, 2020 04:08PM

Jim Hyla

... snip ...

And why is this an Ivy League policy? Shouldn't each school decide? Or since these are ECAC games, shouldn't they decide.

Now if Q decides it's okay, how can Yale go there and play in front of fans? Shouldn't they be restricted by Ivy policy?

... snip ...

In a showing of solidarity, the ECAC should cowpoke up and ban fans from all playoff venues.

RPI has also banned fans from the quarterfinal it's hosting. This leaves Clarkson and Quinnipiac. As Jim mentioned, out of fairness to the other Ivies in the tourney, if nothing else (like consistency), the Ivy League should tell Yale it cannot play if Q allows fans at the event. (Harvard plays at RPI.)

This leaves Clarkson. In its remote, rural setting one might make the case that a fanban is unnecessary. But then why should Clarkson gain a home ice advantage just because it's located where nobody wants to live? And if some teams in the league are prohibited from allowing fans because they have league-within-a-league membership, then if the ECAC truly wants to include that league-within-a-league shouldn't it make the ban ECAC-wide. Think of the legend of Christian X.

The ECAC could smooth all this out, displaying both substanial precaution and a desire to demonstrate the ECAC wants parity of treatment rather than a heavy thumb on the scale in favor of its non-Ivy teams, by simply extending the Ivy fanban.

Date: March 10, 2020 04:58PM

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say by posting those links. Some of the discussion is absolute bs. They mention the same 1 million cases that Adam talked about. This data comes from "according to several epidemiological studies". However the link goes to only one study from China in January. Well the new case rate from China has dropped markedly. So what about data from the last 6 weeks.

Initial data from outbreaks is known to be poor, and when the author mentions "several... studies" and links to only one, I have to cry foul.

Unfortunately it's this type of hysterical writing that leads to bad outcomes.

If our government had tried to set up a plan back in January, at the latest, and had calmly laid it all out to the public, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Date: March 10, 2020 05:05PM

I guess that concert crowds are either not as important, or stronger immunologically, or NYS is not as afraid of lawsuits as are universities.

I have a concert at The Egg, on the NYS government campus in Albany tomorrow night. It's essentially sold out and I've heard nothing about it being cancelled.

I wonder why that is?

Date: March 10, 2020 05:10PM

Please strictly limit this thread to a discussion of closures at hockey games, or move it to JSID.

I like you people. The more I read you on anything but hockey the less I like you.

I want to keep liking you.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 05:26PM

So in the last 30 minutes Cornell is informing students that all in-person classes are cancelled the rest of the year. Have no idea what this means for the rest of our sports seasons, but I can't think it's good news.

Date: March 10, 2020 05:33PM

Here's Pollack's notification to the Cornell community. Interestingly it doesn't say all athletic events will be cancelled, but rather that each member will be strictly limited to 3 guests per participant. So maybe there's a little hope that the games can continue.

Date: March 10, 2020 05:38PM

I can't imagine games will continue. That would leave the university wide open to litigation if and when somebody tests positive. And a lot of Cornellians have New Jersey lawyer parents.

Not the hockey players, though. Canadians aren't assholes so let them play. :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 05:39PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: French Rage (---.mediazone.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 05:39PM

scoop85
Here's Pollack's notification to the Cornell community. Interestingly it doesn't say all athletic events will be cancelled, but rather that each member will be strictly limited to 3 guests per participant. So maybe there's a little hope that the games can continue.

So how do we expand the hockey roster to roughly 1000 players?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 05:41PM

how many kids will go home if you have a place off campus you are paying for?

Date: March 10, 2020 05:41PM

French Rage
scoop85

We only need add 800 student ticket holders as players. That gives us 2400 additional guests.

Date: March 10, 2020 05:42PM

upprdeck
The ones whose parents tell them to get a job, so, mine. :-)

Date: March 10, 2020 05:44PM

Trotsky
I can't imagine games will continue. That would leave the university wide open to litigation if and when somebody tests positive. And a lot of Cornellians have New Jersey lawyer parents.

Sure, probably wishful thinking on my part.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-10.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 05:45PM

At this point, I'm not worried about fans. Fans are gravy. I just hope the season gets a conclusion.

At least, the fan in me hopes that. The less hockey-crazed part of me generally thinks these more drastic measures are the right thing to do.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.cupolice.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2020 05:52PM

What would be the incentive league wise if attendance is restricted from here on out ? No ticket revenue or concession revenue with all the same expenditures. This really sucks for the team, I'm just glad it's Princeton and not Harvard or Clarkson that they are playing from fans perspective.

Date: March 10, 2020 05:53PM

Cop at Lynah
What would be the incentive league wise if attendance is restricted from here on out ? No ticket revenue or concession revenue with all the same expenditures. This really sucks for the team, I'm just glad it's Princeton and not Harvard or Clarkson that they are playing from fans perspective.

Honor their commitment to the student-athletes?

What?

Stop laughing!

Date: March 10, 2020 06:03PM

upprdeck
i don't think cornell is kicking you out of the city

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 06:04PM

Trotsky

The president of Cornell literally just released a statement, posted above by scoop85, stating that each athlete can invite three people to sporting events. From this you conclude that it is unimaginable that games will continue? The mortality rate of a 21-year-old D1 athlete from the virus is probably below .01%. What exactly is the risk of letting them play?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 06:05PM by BearLover.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 06:11PM

Someone teach one of the parents the cowbell - quick.

Date: March 10, 2020 06:12PM

BearLover
Trotsky

The president of Cornell literally just released a statement, posted above by scoop85, stating that each athlete can invite three people to sporting events. From this you conclude that it is unimaginable that games will continue? The mortality rate of a 21-year-old D1 athlete from the virus is probably below .01%. What exactly is the risk of letting them play?

So if they are allowing games to continue (fingers crossed), I assume the freshmen who live in the dorms will have to move in with some upper class teammates. Lots of logistical hurdles.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 06:36PM

I would venture a guess that pretty much everyone who lives off-campus stays in Ithaca. What sounds better, living care-free with your friends because you don’t ever have to go to class or living with your parents?

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 10, 2020 06:40PM

the mayor told everyone to go home this afternoon as well.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 06:43PM

upprdeck

That’s ... interesting

Would think that would have a very drastic impact on the local economy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 07:02PM

upprdeck

Explain, what city, Ithaca? And who’s meant by everyone, city employees, students?

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 07:43PM

The games are going on this weekend, just with very limited fan attendance. I don't think anyone can predict just yet what the situation will be with Lake Placid or the NCAA tournament

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 07:49PM

Jim Hyla
upprdeck

Explain, what city, Ithaca? And who’s meant by everyone, city employees, students?

If it's Ithaca's mayor, he's a certified idiot! So, I wouldn't be to moved by any of his actions.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 08:20PM

redice
Jim Hyla
upprdeck

If it's Ithaca's mayor, he's a certified idiot! So, I wouldn't be to moved by any of his actions.

How about keeping it reasonable, and spelling correctly.:-D

Date: March 10, 2020 08:35PM

Jim Hyla
redice
Jim Hyla
upprdeck

How about keeping it reasonable, and spelling correctly.:-D

Screw you, Jim!!

Posted by: nmcorm83 (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2020 08:54PM

Sorry - posted this without noticing someone beat me to it earlier...

Students have been told to not come back from Spring Break and "attend" classes remotely. Not sure what that means for athletics. Here's an excerpt of the announcement:

Most significantly, we will move to virtual instruction. We are asking faculty to begin that transition now so that after spring break all instruction – for the rest of the semester – will be online. We will be asking all undergraduate students and many professional degree students to leave campus at the start of spring break and to remain at their permanent home residence, completing their semesters remotely. (When essential, we will honor requests for exemptions).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 09:00PM by nmcorm83.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 09:33PM

nmcorm83

Students have been told to not come back from Spring Break and "attend" classes remotely. Not sure what that means for athletics. Here's an excerpt of the announcement:

Most significantly, we will move to virtual instruction. We are asking faculty to begin that transition now so that after spring break all instruction – for the rest of the semester – will be online. We will be asking all undergraduate students and many professional degree students to leave campus at the start of spring break and to remain at their permanent home residence, completing their semesters remotely. (When essential, we will honor requests for exemptions).

Evacuate Ithaca. If no one is in town no one will be infected.

The occupy somewhere else movement?

Date: March 10, 2020 09:49PM

marty
nmcorm83

Evacuate Ithaca. If no one is in town no one will be infected.

The occupy somewhere else movement?

About as logical as the rest this nonsense.

Posted by: cth95 (---.sub-174-220-13.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2020 11:47PM

This is getting ridiculous. The annual charity tournament I was supposed to play in this weekend consisting of local pick-up hockey players like myself just got cancelled. I'm sure the dense population around Middlebury, VT is a real hotbed for risk.

We play at the public rink, not the college. I also just saw Middlebury College has not only cancelled classes like Cornell, they have also cancelled all spring sports until further notice.

Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: March 11, 2020 05:13AM

upprdeck

Makes perfect sense, especially in the Trump era. Mayor declares martial law and sends Ithaca police, backed by mobs of townie vigilantes, to kick all studentS out of their apartments and send them home to Westchester. Their leases on their apartments are still in effect, so the students must still send in the rent or forfeit their security deposits.

To make up for the hit on the local economy, the mayor initiates public works projects and builds a wall around Tompkins County.

What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 07:17AM

Swampy
upprdeck

Makes perfect sense, especially in the Trump era. Mayor declares martial law and sends Ithaca police, backed by mobs of townie vigilantes, to kick all studentS out of their apartments and send them home to Westchester. Their leases on their apartments are still in effect, so the students must still send in the rent or forfeit their security deposits.

To make up for the hit on the local economy, the mayor initiates public works projects and builds a wall around Tompkins County.

What could possibly go wrong?

Those wetbacks from Elmira, that's what!

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2020 09:47AM

So if Cornell gets to rd 1 in Albany probably no fans.. Wonder what happens in Allentown.

Date: March 11, 2020 10:18AM

Albany has banned fans?

Date: March 11, 2020 10:24AM

I'd put the odds of having fans at Lake Placid or any NCAA games at 0.47%

math

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2020 10:25AM

So I was thinking these steps were overreaction, but the situation seems to be deteriorating rapidly, and large gatherings have been banned in many places, so I think these recommendations are now coming from the health authorities. The pro hockey leagues in Germany have cancelled (not just no fans, no games) the rest of their playoffs, because several states were banning gatherings of over 1000 people. I would guess that the average attendee is not at much risk of exposure, maybe interacting closely with 5-10 other people. But multiply that by four or five thousand, and the odds of some transmission occurring are a lot higher. So it seems like it's in the interest of jurisdictions to cancel events, even if it's not in the interest of individuals to skip them.

Interestingly, RIT has not cancelled classes yet, although there's been a lot of contingency planning about what we'd do if we had to. Given that we have a lot of online courses already (like mine), we're probably better suited to pull it off than most universities.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-203-6.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 10:26AM

Trotsky
Albany has banned fans?

No and speculation is king in the state Capital.

Jim's observation that he is attending a concert at "The Egg" is a hopeful sign. That venue isn't a stone's throw from the Times Union Center, but a hard slap shot would make it.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-36.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 10:30AM

How realistic is it that you could keep some of these events open and just ensure people spread out a bit? Like some sort of rule that you can only sell 25% of the tickets of the usual capacity. Something like that

Date: March 11, 2020 10:36AM

marty
Trotsky
Albany has banned fans?

No and speculation is king in the state Capital.

Jim's observation that he is attending a concert at "The Egg" is a hopeful sign. That venue isn't a stone's throw from the Times Union Center, but a hard slap shot would make it.

For reference.

The longest ice hockey pass is 275.63 m (904.33 ft), and was achieved by Zach Lamppa and Tom Chorske (both USA) on Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, on 20 November 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 10:36AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 10:52AM

I came to this thread to post how it's a shame we (fans, alumni fans) can't come to Ithaca and get in to watch what will be one of the best Cornell sports weekends ever, with MHockey, WHockey and MLax ranked 1, 1 and 2 in the nation, all playing national caliber opponents.

But some of the let's-blame/kill-the lawyers reaction here and similar comments is overboard. Fear of legal liability is a concern but Cornell is also acting in the interest of public safety. Ithaca may not have any/many cases of Covid-19, but with fans coming in from everywhere, the odds suggest somebody might be a carrier, and all of a sudden of the other 5,000 hockey-hockey-lax fans spread it further. Who'd want to sit next to a fan coming in from New Rochelle?

I'd like to push our unhappiness in another direction: Get Cornell to add a reverse angle camera in Lynah so we can see better than if we were there in person. Nobody ever knows what's happening in the corner near the band.

Lastly, you can see lax game sort of okay from the top level of the parking garage.

Date: March 11, 2020 11:11AM

The camera experience could vastly improved at Lynah for very little cost. You could add some remote controlled cameras or even a couple at center ice pointing back towards each goal and that would add a lot to what you can see.

Posted by: toddlose (73.194.146.---)
Date: March 11, 2020 11:21AM

Well at least our guys will know what it feels like this weekend if they went to Harvard instead. Actually, any of the ECAC teams that played last weekend by crowd sizes I saw on tv.

Date: March 11, 2020 12:22PM

I don't know if this is too pie-in-the-sky, but would there be a way to set up something like a Zoom meeting with the game broadcasting? That way, you can hear all of the other fans while the game is going on, sort of like a VR rink experience?

Date: March 11, 2020 12:23PM

French Rage
I don't know if this is too pie-in-the-sky, but would there be a way to set up something like a Zoom meeting with the game broadcasting? That way, you can hear all of the other fans while the game is going on, sort of like a VR rink experience?

That sounds horrible. I'm in! :-)

Posted by: KGR11 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 12:26PM

adamw

math

Based on how many Monte Carlo simulations? :)

Date: March 11, 2020 12:54PM

KGR11
adamw

math

Based on how many Monte Carlo simulations? :)

At least 20,000 in my head - given how it is spinning.

Date: March 11, 2020 01:34PM

jtwcornell91
So I was thinking these steps were overreaction, but the situation seems to be deteriorating rapidly, and large gatherings have been banned in many places, so I think these recommendations are now coming from the health authorities. The pro hockey leagues in Germany have cancelled (not just no fans, no games) the rest of their playoffs, because several states were banning gatherings of over 1000 people. I would guess that the average attendee is not at much risk of exposure, maybe interacting closely with 5-10 other people. But multiply that by four or five thousand, and the odds of some transmission occurring are a lot higher. So it seems like it's in the interest of jurisdictions to cancel events, even if it's not in the interest of individuals to skip them.

Interestingly, RIT has not cancelled classes yet, although there's been a lot of contingency planning about what we'd do if we had to. Given that we have a lot of online courses already (like mine), we're probably better suited to pull it off than most universities.

So far I've not seen any health authorities from this part of Upstate NY saying anything about fans not being allowed at sporting events.

As an example, Colgate is still holding the Patriot League Basketball Championship game tonight and my concert in Albany is still on for tonight. Sadly we can't go. I've put my tickets up on StubHub, but if anyone here wants Zappa tickets, you can have them for free. Get in touch.

No sadly all that is going on is not based upon science, or sometimes maybe not even rational thinking.

College basketball looks to be going on and pro sports are competing in arenas.

They've closed their locker rooms to protect their players. But I guess they don't feel the need to close the stands to protect their fans. I wonder why?????

No I don't think most of these decisions are from health authorities, rather we're seeing a herd effect.

As far as our NCAA games, I don't see how they can close them, if they don't first close basketball. But we do know which end calls the shots.

Date: March 11, 2020 01:38PM

Just got an email from Tickets about my refund. They are giving back $6/ticket, which seems low, but I'll have to look at my season ticket prices.

Posted by: ithacat (---.scl.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2020 01:56PM

Some teams get fans, some don't. The life has been sucked out of the season. I'm on board with just cancelling the season at this point and declaring the team currently #1 the National Champ.

Date: March 11, 2020 01:57PM

French Rage
scoop85

For how much are the players selling the guest passes?

Date: March 11, 2020 01:57PM

ithacat
Some teams get fans, some don't. The life has been sucked out of the season. I'm on board with just cancelling the season at this point and declaring the team currently #1 the National Champ.

#1 in the polls or #1 in the pairwise?

Date: March 11, 2020 01:58PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ithacat

#1 in the polls or #1 in the pairwise?
One game to rule them all.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:00PM

Jim Hyla
if anyone here wants Zappa tickets, you can have them for free

If anyone here wants Zappa tickets you're about 27 years too late. :-/
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 02:00PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:00PM

Swampy
French Rage
scoop85

It shouldn't be decided by price. Instead, it should be decided based on commitment; there should be some sort of line that is formed and maybe a camp-out to see how long people are willing to stick around.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:02PM

You all laughed at me for making a costume that looked like a wooden bench at Lynah, but this Friday when I'm the only one who will be able to sneak in and watch the ECAC QFs, who'll be laughing now, huh?!?!

French Rage
Swampy
French Rage
scoop85

It shouldn't be decided by price. Instead, it should be decided based on commitment; there should be some sort of line that is formed and maybe a camp-out to see how long people are willing to stick around.

Oldest ticket stub. I have one from 1981. Jim may have one chiseled from marble.

French Rage
You all laughed at me for making a costume that looked like a wooden bench at Lynah, but this Friday when I'm the only one who will be able to sneak in and watch the ECAC QFs, who'll be laughing now, huh?!?!

I've seen some of the parents. We'll be the ones laughing when they sit on you.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 02:03PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:04PM

Trotsky
French Rage
Swampy
French Rage
scoop85

Oldest ticket stub. I have one from 1981. Jim may have one chiseled from marble.

I probably have one from '78. I wasn't planning on coming to the games this weekend, so I'll sell it to the highest bidder!

Date: March 11, 2020 02:09PM

toddlose
Well at least our guys will know what it feels like this weekend if they went to Harvard instead. Actually, any of the ECAC teams that played last weekend by crowd sizes I saw on tv.

Ithaca Journal
"Our guys will not experience anything crazier than Lynah Rink, they’ll never face a bigger venue than Madison Square Garden, they won’t face any more distractions than Las Vegas," said head coach Mike Schafer, referencing two of his team's road trips this season.

But are they prepared for an absolutely silent Lynah Rink? Does the team practice Zen meditation?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 02:11PM by Swampy.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:11PM

Swampy
toddlose

Ithaca Journal
"Our guys will not experience anything crazier than Lynah Rink, they’ll never face a bigger venue than Madison Square Garden, they won’t face any more distractions than Las Vegas," said head coach Mike Schafer, referencing two of his team's road trips this season.

But are they prepared for an absolutely silent Lynah Rink?

They've played at Brown.

I think if the only people allowed in the barn were the parents that would be incredibly sweet and maybe make them play even harder. Imagine a whole game that was just a gift to your mom and dad.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 02:13PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:13PM

Or the players on the bench can learn some cheers!

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 02:14PM

Suggest Those who dismiss the severity and risk of coronavirus in hockey arenas or in general read Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death".

Date: March 11, 2020 02:23PM

osorojo
Suggest Those who dismiss the severity and risk of coronavirus in hockey arenas or in general read Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death".

billhoward
Who'd want to sit next to a fan coming in from New Rochelle?

For some of the altacockers on this list it's been so long since Cornell has won a major nation championship, that if we were confident Cornell is going to do it this year, we'd gladly do it, and if need be die happily.

And with 3 teams ranked in the top 2 of their sport the odds are as good as they've ever been.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:25PM

Swampy
osorojo

billhoward
Who'd want to sit next to a fan coming in from New Rochelle?

For some of the altacockers on this list it's been so long since Cornell has won a major nation championship, that if we were confident Cornell is going to do it this year, we'd gladly do it, and if need be die happily.

And with 3 teams ranked in the top 2 of their sport the odds are as good as they've ever been.

+1 for the use of "alte cockers!"

Date: March 11, 2020 02:29PM

ECAC tickets were $15 a piece from what i can gather.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 02:43PM

Uh oh...

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-36.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 02:50PM

semsox
Uh oh...

This isn’t going to end well. Once one domino falls...

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2020 02:53PM

Really really hoping that we just make it to no spectators and go from there. Cancelling the remainder of the season would be so brutal for these teams.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:56PM

CU2007
semsox
Uh oh...

The secret is just to be the last to forfeit, then you don't have to!

Date: March 11, 2020 02:56PM

CU2007
semsox
Uh oh...

Yeah, and WHO officially calling this a global pandemic today is not going to help.

Date: March 11, 2020 02:59PM

Swampy
CU2007
semsox
Uh oh...

Yeah, and WHO officially calling this a global pandemic today is not going to help.

While we'd all miss going to the games, they should do what Ivy basketball did and award the title to the regular season champion.

Posted by: marty (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 03:07PM

Trotsky
French Rage
Swampy
French Rage
scoop85

I have half a ticket from the early 70's (vs Brown with the winning score in pen on the back). No Zappa tickets.

Date: March 11, 2020 03:08PM

Posted by: marty (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2020 03:10PM

CU2007
semsox
Uh oh...

"Sucks", sucks.

Date: March 11, 2020 03:20PM

marty
CU2007
semsox
Uh oh...

"Sucks", sucks.

Even before logging in, and having seen no other news that past 90 minutes, I had an inkling that we were going to see the end of our sports seasons. Just too many schools going to online only classes, and I'd heard Harvard was going to cancel their sports seasons. Trutfully hen Amherst and then the rest of the NESCAC started shutting down yesterday, it seemed only a matter of time.

Date: March 11, 2020 03:43PM

If the remaining hockey season is cancelled, any chance players can get that year of eligibility back?

Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login