Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Zamboni Gig in Toronto has Perks

Posted by marty 
Zamboni Gig in Toronto has Perks
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2020 04:15PM

Re: Zamboni Gig in Toronto has Perks
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2020 05:09PM

He had a brush with fame at a lower level four years ago. [www.pensionplanpuppets.com]

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2020 06:34PM

I was amused by the fact that he played the second period in blue pants but that by the third he had changed into red pants, to match his teammates.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.141.---)
Date: February 23, 2020 10:55PM

incredible.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2020 10:55PM

weird that he didn't have a hockeydb page since the article says he played for the laredo bucks (but hockey db doesn't have him on their all-time roster).

so now he has a hockeydb profile that looks like he fell out of the sky into the nhl, which isn't totally untrue and kind of perfect.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 04:29AM

ugarte
weird that he didn't have a hockeydb page since the article says he played for the laredo bucks (but hockey db doesn't have him on their all-time roster).

so now he has a hockeydb profile that looks like he fell out of the sky into the nhl, which isn't totally untrue and kind of perfect.

Actually, he fell out of thin ayres. (Well, not so thin.)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 06:57AM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 11:33AM

ugarte
The Canes were ahead when he came in, why does he get the win?

His Elite Prospects page is great too.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 11:35AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: DL (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 11:45AM

Trotsky
The Canes were ahead when he came in, why does he get the win?
The first goalie went out because he was "shaken up" and the backup was pulled due to injury. Not sure how I'd feel if it was like the last 60 seconds or five minutes, but since he finished half the game, it seems reasonable that he'd get the win.

Date: February 24, 2020 11:59AM

I have always thought the rule was deterministic: if you're the goalie of record when the final go ahead goal is scored then you're the weiner.

I wasn't arguing he didn't "deserve" it but that there is no "deserve," only a rule.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 12:00PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 24, 2020 12:46PM

I find lots of stats that say the goalie on the ice when the game winning goal is scored which in this game would have been goal scored and thats not the Zamboni driver so why did he get the win?

Posted by: DL (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 01:02PM

No idea what the rules are, or even if he deserved it, that's what I rely on you guys for, because it logically makes sense either way.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 02:00PM

Trotsky
I have always thought the rule was deterministic: if you're the goalie of record when the final go ahead goal is scored then you're the weiner.

I wasn't arguing he didn't "deserve" it but that there is no "deserve," only a rule.

From the most recent NCAA Ice Hockey Statisticians Manual (2013-14):

"In a non-tie game, the game-winning goal (GWG) is the goal for the winning team that is one more than the total number of goals scored by the losing team. If the losing team scores three goals, the fourth goal scored by the winning team is the GWG."

It's not the same as baseball.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.162.---)
Date: February 24, 2020 02:08PM

That gives a rather perverse incentive. You’re winning 3-1, goalie goes down. You come in the game and your team goes up 4-1. You now have an incentive to let the other team score 2, so that your 4th goal becomes the winning goal. Strange.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 02:12PM

upprdeck
I find lots of stats that say the goalie on the ice when the game winning goal is scored which in this game would have been goal scored and thats not the Zamboni driver so why did he get the win?

It's not entirely clear what your sentence is supposed to mean ... but Ayres was on the ice when the GWG was scored. So he gets the win.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 02:41PM

adamw
upprdeck

It's not entirely clear what your sentence is supposed to mean ... but Ayres was on the ice when the GWG was scored. So he gets the win.
it's because the definition of game winning rbi is different than game winning goal. in baseball, the GWRBI is the RBI that gave your team a lead that it never gave up, so if Rickey hits a leadoff homer, then the A's score 10 more runs and the Mariners score 2 in the bottom of the 9th to make the score 11-2, Rickey gets the GWRBI but the same team scoring order wouldn't be a GWG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 02:44PM by ugarte.

Date: February 24, 2020 02:44PM

Robb
That gives a rather perverse incentive. You’re winning 3-1, goalie goes down. You come in the game and your team goes up 4-1. You now have an incentive to let the other team score 2, so that your 4th goal becomes the winning goal. Strange.
this is only an incentive to the very dumbest goalie

Posted by: RichH (104.194.220.---)
Date: February 24, 2020 02:52PM

ACM
Trotsky

"In a non-tie game, the game-winning goal (GWG) is the goal for the winning team that is one more than the total number of goals scored by the losing team. If the losing team scores three goals, the fourth goal scored by the winning team is the GWG."

Another difference is that in baseball, the official scorer is given some freedom to award a win to another reliever if the pitcher who technically qualified for a win was deemed to be ineffective and/or having a very brief outing. It's a rarely used judgement situation, but I've seen it happen. There doesn't seem to be any leeway in awarding a win to a more effective goaltender in hockey.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 02:53PM by RichH.

Date: February 24, 2020 02:54PM

ACM
Trotsky

Thank you. This explains it. I don't like it but it explains it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 03:11PM

ugarte
Robb

Who, I suspect, would not be in the league for very long.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 03:26PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Robb

What if this goalie plays in Houston? One might think there would be more tolerance for this kind of cheating.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 05:00PM

ugarte
adamw
upprdeck

it's because the definition of game winning rbi is different than game winning goal. in baseball, the GWRBI is the RBI that gave your team a lead that it never gave up, so if Rickey hits a leadoff homer, then the A's score 10 more runs and the Mariners score 2 in the bottom of the 9th to make the score 11-2, Rickey gets the GWRBI but the same team scoring order wouldn't be a GWG.

Yes - this is true. Except that baseball doesn't use that stat anymore, and hasn't for quite a while. But the same philosophy holds true still for the win in baseball.

People have problems with the baseball definition, and people have problems with the hockey definition. Basically, people just like to complain. There are merits to either approach, and neither is optimal. But if you want to make it a totally objective decision, you have to do something. Also "wins" for pitchers/goalies are fairly useless stats.

Date: February 24, 2020 05:10PM

adamw
ugarte
adamw
upprdeck

Yes - this is true. Except that baseball doesn't use that stat anymore, and hasn't for quite a while. But the same philosophy holds true still for the win in baseball.

People have problems with the baseball definition, and people have problems with the hockey definition. Basically, people just like to complain. There are merits to either approach, and neither is optimal. But if you want to make it a totally objective decision, you have to do something. Also "wins" for pitchers/goalies are fairly useless stats.
none of this is in dispute. the reason there was confusion is because people were applying the baseball rule to hockey. that's all. only greg was getting upset that his preferred method wasn't being used and, well, that's greg and elynah wouldn't be the same without him.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 05:18PM

ugarte
that's all. only greg was getting upset that his preferred method wasn't being used
Not this time. There is no issue of distinct moral clarity this time. This time I was just wrong.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 05:27PM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Robb

What if this goalie plays in Houston? One might think there would be more tolerance for this kind of cheating.

Wait a minute! The rule at the Houston Field House is no different than anywhere else. :-D

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 24, 2020 05:49PM

adamw
upprdeck

From what i saw he was on the ice when it was 4-1? did he come in sooner than that?

Date: February 24, 2020 06:11PM

Trotsky
ugarte
that's all. only greg was getting upset that his preferred method wasn't being used
Not this time. There is no issue of distinct moral clarity this time. This time I was just wrong.
greg,
Trotsky
... I don't like it but it explains it.

Date: February 24, 2020 06:13PM

upprdeck
adamw
upprdeck

From what i saw he was on the ice when it was 4-1? did he come in sooner than that?
i took a look at the time on ice for the other goalies and i think he came in at 3-1 but didn't face a shot until 4-1.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 24, 2020 06:52PM

Yeah I did the math wrong.. I saw 13:17 and was thinking time left, since he came in after 31 min..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2020 05:26AM

ugarte
Trotsky
ugarte
greg,
Trotsky
Yes, yes, but the timeline... I could explain further but FFS ugarte find another hobby.

Date: February 25, 2020 12:12PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
ugarte
greg,
Trotsky
Yes, yes, but the timeline... I could explain further but FFS ugarte find another hobby.
sorry, my resume already says busting balls and i don't want to revise it

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2020 02:06PM

ursusminor
Swampy
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Robb

Wait a minute! The rule at the Houston Field House is no different than anywhere else. :-D

Are you sure? I've seen their shot totals.... :P

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2020 06:36PM

Unfortunately, some of us have relocated to Houston....

Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: February 25, 2020 10:38PM

drs48
Unfortunately, some of us have relocated to Houston....

Well at least you have barbecue and Gilley’s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login