Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2020-02-14: Cornell 5 Union 2

Posted by Trotsky 
2020-02-14: Cornell 5 Union 2
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 03:15PM

Hoping for a Happy Valentine's Day to the Faithful.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 09:41PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2020-02-14: Cornell vs Union
Date: February 14, 2020 06:38PM

Cam back, Ben Tupker sits.

Leahy back in for Cairns.

Malinski still out this weekend but should be ready for next week.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 06:39PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 07:55PM

ESPN+ has had a problematic stream the past few weekends, but it's just downright bad tonight.

Re: 2020-02-14: Cornell 5 Union 2
Date: February 14, 2020 09:41PM

That was... close.

Posted by: RichH (---.sub-174-250-56.myvzw.com)
Date: February 14, 2020 09:47PM

Why is it always Dartmouth and Union who give us fits? Since Union got their first D1 win at Lynah, they always have some voodoo on us.

I boarded a flight after the 1st, and when I landed, I started the feed to see the refs waive off a goal, so you’re welcome.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 09:50PM by RichH.

Date: February 14, 2020 09:53PM

It's not. It only seems that way.

Relative to record it's Dartmouth and RPI.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 09:54PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:02PM

Trotsky
That was... close.

Date: February 14, 2020 10:04PM

i didn't get to watch until union was skating past the bench after the tying goal. what a relief when the ref waved it off. no idea why, though. looked clean to me.

Posted by: DL (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:07PM

Trotsky
It's not. It only seems that way.

Relative to record it's Dartmouth and RPI.
But not Yale? Isn't Q's percentage against us improving by the year?

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 14, 2020 10:10PM

the kid was in the crease behind the goalie for a long time before any shot too place.. does there have to be contact for that to be interference like that

hockey is just a game with such a small margin of error. A game that could easily been 5-6 to zip almost turns into a tie when a team has 10 shots in a game.

Posted by: ice (---.pennnet.nat.upenn.edu)
Date: February 14, 2020 11:53PM

The highlights:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ice (---.pennnet.nat.upenn.edu)
Date: February 14, 2020 11:57PM

On the waved off goal, Rinaldi was in the crease and behind Galajda before Ryan shot the puck. Rinaldi ran into Galajda's skate on his way into the crease.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 12:08AM by ice.

Date: February 15, 2020 08:13AM

sure but isn't that incidental contact? galajda made the save. i guess the argument could be that he was impeded from settling deeper in the crease or from gathering the rebound. whatever it was, whew.

Date: February 15, 2020 09:37AM

Despite our lower GP we are now 3rd in W-L:
W-L  W L 
+22 26 4 Mankato
+19 22 3 North Dakota
+16 18 2 Cornell
+15 21 6 Clarkson
+12 21 9 Arizona State

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 09:37AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 09:52AM

ugarte
sure but isn't that incidental contact? galajda made the save. i guess the argument could be that he was impeded from settling deeper in the crease or from gathering the rebound. whatever it was, whew.

Look at the replay around the 2 minute mark. Rinaldi interferes with Galajda before the initial shot. He appears to catch the right skate/leg of Galajda, knocking him to his knees. That does not allow him to quickly get to his right to make the save on the rebound. Good call and I wonder who from CU saw it.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-15.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 09:57AM

Jim Hyla
ugarte

Look at the replay around the 2 minute mark. Rinaldi interferes with Galajda before the initial shot. He appears to catch the right skate/leg of Galajda, knocking him to his knees. That does not allow him to quickly get to his right to make the save on the rebound. Good call and I wonder who from CU saw it.

Isn't he also in the blue before the puck?

Date: February 15, 2020 10:41AM

Jim Hyla
ugarte

i remember the video - i thought he dropped to make the save, but if the contact made him go down it's an easy call

Date: February 15, 2020 10:44AM

marty
Jim Hyla
ugarte

i don't think that's been the rule since shortly after the sabres/stars controversy got people thinking a lot about whether in the crease violations should be a per se rule

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 10:48AM

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-15.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 11:04AM

ugarte
marty
Jim Hyla
ugarte

i don't think that's been the rule since shortly after the sabres/stars controversy got people thinking a lot about whether in the crease violations should be a per se rule

Right but you can you stand in the crease waiting for the puck?

Even though it was for only a second that's what he did. In the crease for a second is different from waiting in the crease for the puck and tipping it in, isn't it?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 01:38PM

Jim Hyla

I could have missed it, but I didn't notice anyone on the Cornell bench asking for the play to be reviewed. I think the refs may have made the decision to review on their own.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 02:18PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte

i remember the video - i thought he dropped to make the save, but if the contact made him go down it's an easy call

If you're still interested, go to around 6:20 to go and you can see Rinaldi entering the crease. It looks like his left leg hits Galajda's right and Galajda starts to go down. All this well before the shot.

Ref Allen immediately goes to scorers table. One of the linesmen comes over as well. Then after the replay of the goal, you see the other ref, Lynch, and a linesman at center ice. The linesman who was with Allen comes over and says something to them. Lynch skates over to Allen. Then one ref skates to go off and the other to CU's bench.

So it certainly looks like Allen knew right away that it had to be reviewed.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 02:44PM

i was wondering at the game why it didnt get a review. it was pretty clear he was in there behind the goalie for a long time. seemed like it deserved to be looked at but wasnt sure it was gonna get one.

Date: February 15, 2020 04:17PM

By the way, did anyone else see Bennett's interactions with the officials after the game? He was yelling in their direction and giving them an obviously sarcastic "thumbs-up." He did this at least twice. That would seem to me to be the kind of thing the league may not look kindly upon.

Date: February 15, 2020 04:41PM

andyw2100
By the way, did anyone else see Bennett's interactions with the officials after the game? He was yelling in their direction and giving them an obviously sarcastic "thumbs-up." He did this at least twice. That would seem to me to be the kind of thing the league may not look kindly upon.

I assume the league will send him a "Cut the shit, Rick," letter, or call him, behind the scenes. Wherever possible they seem to prefer to take care of that stuff off the books, which is just as well for Mike's first 10 seasons.

Date: February 15, 2020 05:03PM

he had 6 PP not like they swallowed the whistle.

Date: February 15, 2020 05:15PM

upprdeck
he had 6 PP not like they swallowed the whistle.

Both Bennett and the Union goalie seemed upset about stuff that happened around the Union goal. I noticed it during the game, and then today I watched the ESPN feed during and after Union's third no-goal. When the ref skated over to the Union bench, presumably to explain why they were overturning the goal, you can see Bennett animatedly gesturing in the direction of the Union net.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-29.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 05:24PM

andyw2100

The sarcastic thumbs-up is a way better method of indicating disapproval at fellow drivers than the finger.

Date: February 15, 2020 06:17PM

I didnt see much during the game live.. in the first period we were all over them but not really near the crease, the last 2 periods we seldom even did much at all. he was screaming at the refs all game. you could hear him over the crowd complaining about no calls a bunch of times.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 06:24PM

This call is all the more critical since it involves a team ranked number #53 against a team ranked #3.Union could have jumped up to 49th with a tie, even higher with a win.

Posted by: Give My Regards (12.168.70.---)
Date: February 15, 2020 10:34PM

Cornell's win over Union means that the Big Red has defeated each of their league opponents at least once this season.

This may not sound like a big deal, but it's the first time Cornell has been able to do that since 2004-05.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 10:35PM

marty
ugarte
marty
Jim Hyla
ugarte

Right but you can you stand in the crease waiting for the puck?

Even though it was for only a second that's what he did. In the crease for a second is different from waiting in the crease for the puck and tipping it in, isn't it?

From the horse's mouth:
NCAA Rule book 2019-2020
Rule 73 - Interference on the Goalkeeper
73.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - The overriding rationale of this rule is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within the goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. However, an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances, be allowed.
Goals should be disallowed only if an attacking player, either by positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend the goal.

If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player and causes contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.
If a defending player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by an attacking player so as to cause the defending player to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, and if necessary a penalty assessed to the attacking player and if a goal is scored it shall be disallowed.
Rights of the Goaltender – The rules must protect the goaltender and allow him or her to defend the goal, within the goal crease, without interference from an attacking player. This includes allowing a goaltender to move effectively and efficiently within the crease, as well as being able to see the puck unimpeded by a player who has established a position in the crease.
Rights of the Attacking Player – Attacking players who are outside of the crease have some rights to the space they occupy. In cases where an attacking player makes contact with goaltender’s equipment that extends outside the plane of the crease (e.g., glove, blocker, stick, etc.), provided that the attacking player does not initiate distinct and deliberate actions aimed at impeding the goaltender’s use of their equipment (e.g., slashing the goaltender’s glove), this contact should be considered incidental and goals scored on such plays shall be allowed.
If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, such goals shall be disallowed. For this purpose, a player establishes a significant position within the crease when, in the referee’s judgment, his/her body, or a substantial portion thereof, is within the goal crease for more than an instantaneous period of time.
Role of the Official – Officials are encouraged to use their discretion in determining the effect of an attacking player making contact with a goaltender or with goaltender equipment. Referees are instructed to give more significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact. If, in the opinion of the official, the incidental contact had no effect on the goaltender’s ability to defend the goal, a goal may be allowed in such situations.
73.2 Penalty - If, in the opinion of the official, an attacking player initiates contact that physically prevents the goalkeeper from defending the goal, the attacking player may receive a penalty. This penalty may be enforced whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease and whether or not a goal is scored. The referee should give significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper rather than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact.
If an attacking player establishes position in the goal crease, and is physically or visually screening the goalkeeper and impairing the ability to defend the goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.
to communicate with attacking players to exit the crease; if players do not comply, the referee may stop play and conduct a faceoff in the neutral zone.
73.3 Face-off Location - Whenever the Referee stops play to disallow a goal as a result of contact with the goalkeeper (incidental or otherwise), the resulting

face-off shall take place at the nearest neutral zone face-off spot outside the attacking zone of the offending team.
73.4 Rebounds and Loose Pucks - In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result will be allowed.
In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player, the goal will be disallowed. If applicable, appropriate penalties will be assessed.
In the event that the puck is under a player in or around the crease area (deliberately or otherwise), a goal cannot be scored by pushing this player together with the puck into the goal. If applicable, the appropriate penalties will be assessed, including a penalty shot if deemed to be covered in the crease deliberately (see Rule 67 – Delaying the Game).
73.5 Overall Philosophy - Unless the official is certain that a goal was scored through an illegal action (e.g., physically hindering the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely while in the crease and defend the goal), the goal must count. Games that have video replay available may correct egregious errors, but the standard of evidence required to disallow a goal is significant. There must be conclusive video evidence to overturn an initial on-ice call.

Date: February 16, 2020 12:47AM

Locke leads the ECAC in faceoff percentage and in goals per SOG.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 12:50AM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login