Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate Weekend

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Colgate Weekend
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 05, 2020 12:43PM

Here's what's out ,so far.

#2 Men's Hockey Returns For Annual Courage Classic Game vs. Colgate

This Week in ECAC Hockey: Colgate making strides on the power play after getting ‘too caught up in the structure’ in recent weeks By Nate Owen -

That's it. Nothing from the Sun or Colgate. Suspect tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2020 12:59PM by Jim Hyla.

Re: Colgate Weekend
Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: February 06, 2020 12:36AM

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 06, 2020 02:38PM

Back in the 60's - early in Ned Harkness' stint as Cornell coach, I sat above and right next to the aisle in the bleachers used by both teams to reach the Colgate dressing rooms. At the end of the second period Cornell was CLOBBERING Colgate. Ned and the Colgate coach brought up the rear, walking side by side some distance behind their teams. I heard the Colgate coach speak to Ned, something to the effect of "How about easing up a little?" I remember Ned's reply well: "Go *uck yourself!" Where has this team spirit gone, lost in a welter of statistics and rationalization?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2020 06:36PM

No danger of the Lady Byng being renamed in honor of Harkness.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2020 07:23PM

osorojo
Back in the 60's - early in Ned Harkness' stint as Cornell coach, I sat above and right next to the aisle in the bleachers used by both teams to reach the Colgate dressing rooms. At the end of the second period Cornell was CLOBBERING Colgate. Ned and the Colgate coach brought up the rear, walking side by side some distance behind their teams. I heard the Colgate coach speak to Ned, something to the effect of "How about easing up a little?" I remember Ned's reply well: "Go *uck yourself!" Where has this team spirit gone, lost in a welter of statistics and rationalization?

I never tire of hearing lil stories like that... Even ones that I've previously hear..

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-203-20.myvzw.com)
Date: February 06, 2020 10:05PM

osorojo
Back in the 60's - early in Ned Harkness' stint as Cornell coach, I sat above and right next to the aisle in the bleachers used by both teams to reach the Colgate dressing rooms. At the end of the second period Cornell was CLOBBERING Colgate. Ned and the Colgate coach brought up the rear, walking side by side some distance behind their teams. I heard the Colgate coach speak to Ned, something to the effect of "How about easing up a little?" I remember Ned's reply well: "Go *uck yourself!"
cool story. appreciate it every time I hear it

Where has this team spirit gone, lost in a welter of statistics and rationalization?
please. I beg of you. shut up.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 06, 2020 10:29PM

colgate came in tonight i hope not gonna be a fun day to travel to the game for the fans..

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2020 11:03PM

redice
osorojo

I never tire of hearing lil stories like that... Even ones that I've previously hear..

I tire when he has to add an extra bitchy sentence at the end.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: cu155 (---.116-67-202.dynamic.dsl.mel.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 07, 2020 03:27AM

Must be a fun guy to have a beer with...

Posted by: profudge (172.79.151.---)
Date: February 07, 2020 09:02AM

Folks, Icy rain and sleet from Midnight til about 6:30 AM this morning - now snowing projected 6-12 inches by game time tonight. There is about a tenth to 2 tenths of inch of icing under the snow here (I'm about 20 miles south of Cornell) -- Everything is closed and cancelled in this whole region ... Do not drive unless you have to!

Date: February 07, 2020 09:17AM

and cornell does nothing, not even a delay.. we have 6 inches in the last 2 hrs here north of ithaca. IC shut down last night

Date: February 07, 2020 09:50AM

profudge
Folks, Icy rain and sleet from Midnight til about 6:30 AM this morning - now snowing projected 6-12 inches by game time tonight. There is about a tenth to 2 tenths of inch of icing under the snow here (I'm about 20 miles south of Cornell) -- Everything is closed and cancelled in this whole region ... Do not drive unless you have to!

I always thought that a CU hockey game was reason enough. Are you saying it isn't?

This is winter, just because it hasn't snowed till now shouldn't mean you've forgotten how to drive in snow.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 10:22AM

upprdeck
and cornell does nothing, not even a delay.. we have 6 inches in the last 2 hrs here north of ithaca. IC shut down last night

Classes are cancelled as of 10AM. The University remains open while the operating status is "under review."

Date: February 07, 2020 10:22AM

not sure driing on roads with 6-10 inches of snow on them is the best decision cause 90% of the campus kids dont know how to drive in snow.

better have snow tires if your gonna drive in this stuff right now..
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 10:23AM by upprdeck.

Date: February 07, 2020 10:25AM

My understanding of "bitchy" applied to discussions of college hockey games is endless repetition of minutiae. e.g. - detailed and endlessly repeated charts of power play goals made by right-handed left wings at away games - carried out to six decimal places.

Date: February 07, 2020 10:30AM

people should also pay attention, most of the roads have alot of ice under the unplowed snow.. the hills around ithaca are gonna be nasty all day

Date: February 07, 2020 10:56AM

they said the TCAT busses are stranded in position all over, since roads are so bad right now..

Date: February 07, 2020 11:08AM

Campus is closed.

Date: February 07, 2020 11:28AM

campus isnt closed just classes cancelled. everything else goes on as normal. employees try to avoid accidents to come on at their own risk

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2020 11:30AM

From Cornell Athletics:

BREAKING: The following Big Red home events for Friday have been postponed with rescheduled dates and times to be announced when finalized:

· Men’s Hockey vs. Colgate

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2020 11:32AM

?s=21

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 11:33AM

i suggest a doubleheader tomorrow

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 11:37AM

ugarte
i suggest a doubleheader tomorrow
my idea has been unfairly ignored. Sunday at 4pm.
[cornellbigred.com]

Date: February 07, 2020 12:04PM

campus closed now finally.

so the interesting thing is colgate was here i would presume.. so both teams stuck in ithaca for the day and would have to travel either late tonight or in them morning.

Date: February 07, 2020 12:35PM

colgate comes to ithaca, drives home, then back to ithaca then home again.

that same trip 4 times in one weekend will suck

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 12:44PM

upprdeck

it'll get them used to commuting into the city center from the suburbs after they graduate

Date: February 07, 2020 12:48PM

RE: "campus closed" - When I learned "classes are canceled" I equated this with "campus closed". I didn't realize Cornell usually maintains its athletic schedule regardless of academic closure.

Date: February 07, 2020 01:06PM

syracuse is closed but LAX game on as scheduled today

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 01:17PM

upprdeck

Probably still less driving than most away weekends though.

Date: February 07, 2020 02:09PM

still loading and unloading multiple times is a big pain and that ride in this weather is not fun.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 03:48PM

andyw2100
upprdeck

You are basing all of these comments on the mistaken assumption that the visiting team in the Cornell-Colgate series travels on Thursday and stays overnight in the home team's region. That was never the case during the seventeen years I traveled with the Cornell team, and I seriously doubt it was ever the case, or that it is the case today.

For other destinations, yes, the teams travel on Thursday and stay overnight, but not Cornell-Colgate.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 04:12PM

ACM
andyw2100
upprdeck

You are basing all of these comments on the mistaken assumption that the visiting team in the Cornell-Colgate series travels on Thursday and stays overnight in the home team's region. That was never the case during the seventeen years I traveled with the Cornell team, and I seriously doubt it was ever the case, or that it is the case today.

For other destinations, yes, the teams travel on Thursday and stay overnight, but not Cornell-Colgate.

Actually I based my comment on this:

upprdeck
colgate came in tonight i hope not gonna be a fun day to travel to the game for the fans..

I actually thought that was probably a change from the norm, due to the weather forecast.

Edit: And re-reading the above, with the lack of punctuation, I realize I may have misinterpreted that post, missing the "I hope", which may have been modifying the statement about when Colgate arrived. (I had read their arrival as fact.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 04:14PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: French Rage (---.mediazone.com)
Date: February 07, 2020 05:03PM

upprdeck

Better them than us! (If it occurred...)

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 07, 2020 05:15PM

I hope the Colgate bus doesn't take the shortcut between Ithaca and Hamilton which goes over Muller Hill.

Date: February 07, 2020 05:52PM

Could be true, i was just going by the bus i saw on the way home thursday, it could also explain why the game was cancelled because if they didnt travel thursday they werent getting here today that easily.

I was told that the ECAC has the same travel rules as other leagues where teams have to a day early.
I didn't know they relaxed the rule for this game and probably the other travel team games I suppose.

not the first time i would have been wrong today

Posted by: Rita (8.20.96.---)
Date: February 07, 2020 06:58PM

okay. This explains why my TUNE IN iphone app was playing sean hannity and not jason weinstein and the pre-game show.

I'm bummed - i was so looking forward to cornell hockey tonight as I work late trying to figure out how long the company I work for and the factories that we use in china can deal with the extended closures and what the contingency plans will be.

Stay safe everyone.

Rita

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: February 08, 2020 12:42AM

andyw2100
ACM
andyw2100
upprdeck

Actually I based my comment on this:

upprdeck

I actually thought that was probably a change from the norm, due to the weather forecast.

Edit: And re-reading the above, with the lack of punctuation, I realize I may have misinterpreted that post, missing the "I hope", which may have been modifying the statement about when Colgate arrived. (I had read their arrival as fact.)

Upprdeck's lack of punctuation and incomplete sentence ramblings make all of their posts hard to read and understand. (Voice to text addiction it looks like?)

Didn't think anyone could achieve this, but upprdeck has displaced bearlover for most annoying poster.

Posted by: heykb (---.red-79-147-151.dynamicip.rima-tde.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 02:15AM

Rescheduling the Friday game for Sunday afternoon is convenient for me. Living in the CET time zone, 6 hours ahead of EST, I can actually watch the game without staying up all night. As a bonus, it's a home game. I hope the guys play well.

Date: February 08, 2020 09:43AM

thanks.. But I am not a Cornell grad and its a forum so i really don't worry all that much about punctuation in every sentance. I assume you can follow a conversation without it when people are talking to you? My deductive skills are not always correct.. Colgate Bus/Hotel, I assumed the team as I did not track down a driver to ask. Some schools travel without buses with team name placards..

feel free to ignore me, just trying to provide information and thought not going for an A any more.

Posted by: profudge (172.79.152.---)
Date: February 08, 2020 10:13AM

Jim I agree - Cornell hockey is a reason to go (weather be @!$%'d). I have a 30 minute drive to Lynah on dry clear roads. I have often made it in 1 hour and ten minutes going all the way in 4 wheel drive at an average of 24-25 mph in all kinds of winter weather to make a game (men and women).

But Friday with the 0.2 inches of icing prior to the heavy snow fall, 12 inches at my house plus a bit, means I have shoveling and snow-blowing for 2 hours today just to get out. And as a volunteer EMT I knew how bad it was and was going to be.

I will be there on Sunday. LGR!

Date: February 08, 2020 10:22AM

U.D. - I prefer the program you were using to your manual posts.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 11:37AM

I hope everyone is home, safe, and warm. How is the weather up there today? Is anyone planning to make the trip to Hamilton?

Date: February 08, 2020 11:46AM

Trotsky
I hope everyone is home, safe, and warm. How is the weather up there today? Is anyone planning to make the trip to Hamilton?

Sure

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-220-11.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2020 01:23PM

Trotsky

Flurries and the roads are fine. We drove to Ithaca from Syracuse this morning, and will be heading to Hamilton on the CHA bus this afternoon.

Date: February 08, 2020 01:39PM

I had no idea the boosters still did a bus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 01:40PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-220-4.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2020 01:51PM

Trotsky

I'm not sure that the CHA has been doing the bus trip every year. I know the past couple of years we've just driven, but that could be because we were starting out in Syracuse, not Ithaca.

Date: February 08, 2020 02:41PM

andyw2100
Trotsky

I'm not sure that the CHA has been doing the bus trip every year. I know the past couple of years we've just driven, but that could be because we were starting out in Syracuse, not Ithaca.

They try and do a bus every year. It depends if they get enough sign-ups. Sometimes they bring the band.

Years ago you could plan on them stopping at Pizza Hut(I think that's the restaurant that I remember) in Hamilton before the game. But all of that was when a lot of fans would travel.

With the team improving, I hope we get more traveling fans. It's a lot of fun, especially when you can walk out a winner.

Date: February 08, 2020 02:55PM

Jim Hyla
andyw2100
Trotsky

They try and do a bus every year. It depends if they get enough sign-ups. Sometimes they bring the band.

Years ago you could plan on them stopping at Pizza Hut(I think that's the restaurant that I remember) in Hamilton before the game. But all of that was when a lot of fans would travel.

With the team improving, I hope we get more traveling fans. It's a lot of fun, especially when you can walk out a winner.

Yup, it definitely was a stop at the Pizza Hut. I'm pretty sure the last year I went on the bus (before this year) we still stopped there.

This year the bus trip includes dinner at a Colgate dining hall. (Posting from the bus that just started out for Hamilton.)

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 04:29PM

upprdeck
thanks.. But I am not a Cornell grad and its a forum so i really don't worry all that much about punctuation in every sentance. I assume you can follow a conversation without it when people are talking to you? My deductive skills are not always correct.. Colgate Bus/Hotel, I assumed the team as I did not track down a driver to ask. Some schools travel without buses with team name placards..

feel free to ignore me, just trying to provide information and thought not going for an A any more.

Good thing you're not a Cornell grad. If you were, you'd likely have been very frustrated because A's on East Hill are about as rare as white tigers.

Date: February 08, 2020 05:01PM

andyw2100
Yup, it definitely was a stop at the Pizza Hut. I'm pretty sure the last year I went on the bus (before this year) we still stopped there.

This year the bus trip includes dinner at a Colgate dining hall. (Posting from the bus that just started out for Hamilton.)

As long as it's not the one in Canton.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 08, 2020 05:51PM

Saturday lineup: Betts is back, but Donaldson and Malinski are out. I feel Cam has been banged up since the NMU weekend.

Date: February 08, 2020 06:20PM

Hard to know why. Tons of flu issues right now as well

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 06:28PM

The lineup posted on Twitter:

Cornell Hockey
@CUBigRedHockey
Snow day’s over, time to play again!

Here’s how the Big Red’s lines will look tonight...

Barron-Locke-Stienburg
Mullin-Betts-Malott
Berard-Andreev-Regush
B. Tupker-Z. Tupker-Bauld
Malone

Kaldis-Dirven
Mitchell-Green
Leahy-Haiskanen

Galajda

Seems odd that no backup goalie is listed. Maybe this is a Tweet error.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 06:42PM

RichH
Saturday lineup: Betts is back, but Donaldson and Malinski are out. I feel Cam has been banged up since the NMU weekend.

Someone who was at the Princeton game asked me "If I saw the injuries to Donaldson and Malinski." I wasn't sure I did, but apparently they knew that those two wouldn't be playing.

Date: February 08, 2020 07:45PM

ice

According to the Colgate rink announcer, "Jay Bloom" is coaching Cornell tonight... :)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 08:25PM

andyw2100
ice

According to the Colgate rink announcer, "Jay Bloom" is coaching Cornell tonight... :)

Well, whoever is coaching apparently lit a fire under the guys after last weekend. banana

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 08:31PM

andyw2100
ice

according to their play by play guy Leahy is pronounced Lee-hay.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2020 08:33PM

andyw2100
ice

Well, the line chart does clearly say "Jay R. Bloom '77 Head Coach".

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 09:09PM

ugarte
andyw2100
ice

Don't forget the endless use of "suffocating"

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2020 09:32PM

Iceberg
ugarte
andyw2100
ice

Don't forget the endless use of "suffocating"
we're talking about the things that are wrong

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: February 08, 2020 09:33PM

Hope that last five gets changed to a DQ from a game misconduct, formally or informally. Real head hunter.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2020 11:00PM

ugarte
andyw2100
ice

And last week at Princeton it was “Regeesh”

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 04:40PM

abmarks
Didn't think anyone could achieve this, but upprdeck has displaced bearlover for most annoying poster.
Guess I need to step up my game!

Date: February 09, 2020 05:39PM

BearLover
abmarks
Guess I need to step up my game!
Not all precincts have reported.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login