Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hockey @ Princeton this Saturday

Posted by CAS 
Hockey @ Princeton this Saturday
Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 03:55PM

CU there

Re: Hockey @ Princeton this Saturday
Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 06:10PM

Seated tickets for this sold out a long time ago. Not surpising since this is probably the most well-attended road game aside from Harvard

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 06:39PM

Princeton has a big home basketball game that nite. Hard to believe the rink will be full. Maybe Bill Howard can address the situation with getting seats at Princeton...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 10:13PM

As per usual, the seated tix may be sold out, but given how bad their team is and the fact there's a squeakball game, there should be plenty of open seats.

As usual.

Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: January 27, 2020 10:31PM

I didn’t want to start another thread about this, but does anyone know what to expect at Q for tickets this Friday?

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.117.---)
Date: January 28, 2020 06:39AM

Swampy
I didn’t want to start another thread about this, but does anyone know what to expect at Q for tickets this Friday?
They only have SRO tickets for sale. The Cornell Club bloc sold out quickly weeks ago.

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 09:42AM

As for Princeton, I have attended many years in a row having only been moved once by the season ticket holder. Despite being "sold out" every year, there are in fact many seats available. Having retired and relocated to Houston for the daughter/son in law (both '04) and grand kids, alas, I can no longer attend. Go Red!

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 10:29AM

dbilmes
Swampy
They only have SRO tickets for sale. The Cornell Club bloc sold out quickly weeks ago.

Wow. Last year I got an invite from the Cornell Club and bought my ticket that way. This year no invite. I guess not living in Connecticut has its disadvantages.

I still think I'll get SRO tickets and make the trip anyway. Last year, IIRC, there were many empty seats despite the number of tickets sold.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 10:49AM

Swampy
I guess not living in Connecticut has its disadvantages.
Unless you're living in Massachusetts I can't think of any.

Date: January 28, 2020 02:58PM

Swampy
dbilmes
Swampy

Wow. Last year I got an invite from the Cornell Club and bought my ticket that way. This year no invite. I guess not living in Connecticut has its disadvantages.

I still think I'll get SRO tickets and make the trip anyway. Last year, IIRC, there were many empty seats despite the number of tickets sold.
If you buy a SRO ticket at Quinnipiac, you'll always be able to find a seat if you so choose. Most of the games I've attended there, even playoff games, have been announced as sell-outs, and most featured hundreds of empty seats. With Cornell being No. 1, though, I expect that even the townies who have season tickets but don't go to every game will show up for this one.

Date: January 28, 2020 03:18PM

It would be interesting to have an accurate measure of the traveling Faithful. My impression is in the Golden Age (66-73) we took over road barns, including Boston Garden (correct me if I am wrong, olde timers, I wasn't there until 81). I've seen a few road crowds completely dominate. RPI's contingent at the Garden in 85 is probably the biggest I have ever seen (I would conservatively estimate they had 70% of the arena). It also didn't hurt their pep band had an electric bass.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 03:19PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 28, 2020 07:03PM

We had some huge road crowds in the early 2000s. I remember being at Yale games where it seemed like at least half of the rink consisted of Cornell fans.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 29, 2020 09:26AM

Trotsky
It would be interesting to have an accurate measure of the traveling Faithful. My impression is in the Golden Age (66-73) we took over road barns, including Boston Garden (correct me if I am wrong, olde timers, I wasn't there until 81). I've seen a few road crowds completely dominate. RPI's contingent at the Garden in 85 is probably the biggest I have ever seen (I would conservatively estimate they had 70% of the arena). It also didn't hurt their pep band had an electric bass.

Of course there is Lynah East, 'nuf said.

As far as the old Garden, go no further than "Cornell Fans Made the Timbers Tremble", Boston Globe, March/1970.

It was wonderful walking up the old ramps to get into the Garden. I could feel my body get excited with each step. You just knew that CU was going to take over the crowd.

Even driving the Mass Pike to Boston was exciting. When a car full of CU fans would pass another, horns would honk. You'd meet people at the rest stops on the way and get to Boston just in time to grab a bite at McD's across the street from the Garden.

Fun.

Date: January 29, 2020 10:46AM

Jim Hyla
It was wonderful walking up the old ramps to get into the Garden. I could feel my body get excited with each step.
I know this feeling from 85 and 86. I've never been as thrilled to enter into any other barn.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 02:51PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Of course there is Lynah East, 'nuf said.

As far as the old Garden, go no further than "Cornell Fans Made the Timbers Tremble", Boston Globe, March/1970.

It was wonderful walking up the old ramps to get into the Garden. I could feel my body get excited with each step. You just knew that CU was going to take over the crowd.

Even driving the Mass Pike to Boston was exciting. When a car full of CU fans would pass another, horns would honk. You'd meet people at the rest stops on the way and get to Boston just in time to grab a bite at McD's across the street from the Garden.

Fun.

I too remember this about the Garden, although I think certain kinds of impressions are unfair. If we were playing BU or BC (I don't recall ever playing Harvard in the Garden; maybe we never played BU or BC there either - I can't remember demented), as one would expect there were quite a few supporters from the other side. OTOH, I do remember playing MSU there, and we far outnumbered them. But IIRC, MSU's representation was substantial considering how much further away their campus is.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 08:57AM

CAS
Princeton has a big home basketball game that nite. Hard to believe the rink will be full. Maybe Bill Howard can address the situation with getting seats at Princeton...
The best-attended Princeton-Cornell game I ever saw had, maybe, 200 open seats in a rink of 2,000. That was when the Princeton team was doing well. Princeton is currently 11th in the ECAC at 1-8-3 although it is on a one-game winning streak.

If you cannot, by the start of the second period, find two open seats together no more than two rows back of the Cornell bench, you're not trying.

Date: January 30, 2020 09:03AM

dbilmes
We had some huge road crowds in the early 2000s. I remember being at Yale games where it seemed like at least half of the rink consisted of Cornell fans.
Cripe! It's hard to think of 15 years ago as being the good old days. Then I looked and the mirror and I saw a Do Not Resuscitate waiver staring back. My take on "If thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." Even millennials are starting to look real old.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 03:52PM

billhoward
dbilmes
Cripe! It's hard to think of 15 years ago as being the good old days. Then I looked and the mirror and I saw a Do Not Resuscitate waiver staring back. My take on "If thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." Even millennials are starting to look real old.

Yep, my nephew, who I remember holding when he was only 17 days old, just turned 20.

Face it, Bill. We're old.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 31, 2020 09:14AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
dbilmes

Yep, my nephew, who I remember holding when he was only 17 days old, just turned 20.

You don't know old.demented

Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 12:18PM

Princeton ticket office reports that there an extremely limited number of remaining tickets.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 31, 2020 12:21PM

This year Cornell skaters seem to have consistently played at the level of their opponents. This could be an exciting game.

Date: January 31, 2020 01:13PM

osorojo
This year Cornell skaters seem to have consistently played at the level of their opponents.

You can tell this from the .842 percentage.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 01:13PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 31, 2020 01:41PM

Opponents' combined conference records, final six weekends:

DH 14- 8-5 .611
QP  8-12-4 .417
GG 12- 6-6 .625
UR 11-16-2 .414
YB 10-14-0 .417
SK 11-15-0 .423

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 01:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 31, 2020 03:30PM

Is that .842 a percentage of wins alone or wins and ties? I never did well in those classes with all the numbers but it seems Cornell failed to win (lost or tied) against lower-rated teams as frequently as they failed to win against top-fifteen teams.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 31, 2020 03:34PM

osorojo
Is that .842 a percentage of wins alone or wins and ties? I never did well in those classes with all the numbers but it seems Cornell failed to win (lost or tied) against lower-rated teams as frequently as they failed to win against top-fifteen teams.
includes ties as half-win, half loss. 14-1-4 = 16-3.

Date: January 31, 2020 04:22PM

osorojo

(2w + t) / 2gp

or, (w + t/2) / gp

My point is we're not really playing at the level of the opposition. We're taking the points we need against unranked teams and then fighting tooth and nail against the ranked ones.

Union is the exception.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 04:26PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.15.---)
Date: January 31, 2020 04:37PM

osorojo
This year Cornell skaters seem to have consistently played at the level of their opponents. This could be an exciting game.

The teams we've tied are ranked 9, 15, 20, and 55 in the pairwise.

The team we lost to is ranked 22.

Basically, we have a bad tie to Union. Otherwise, we've had some tough games against tough teams, and we've beaten teams all across the spectrum (8, 10, 15, 19, as well as 53, 56, 59).

Date: January 31, 2020 04:47PM

Record vs current PWR bands:
 1- 9    1-0-1    Clk, Prv
10-19    5-0-1    OSU, NMUx2, MSUx2, Qpc
20-29    3-1-1    Hvdx2, Drtx2, BU
30-39    1-0-0    Yal
40-49    1-0-0    RPI
50+      3-0-1    Prn, Uni, Brn, SLU

To give you an idea, let's say we replicate over the final 10 games:
 1- 9    2-0-1    Clkx2, Prv
10-19    6-0-1    OSU, NMUx2, MSUx2, Qpcx2
20-29    3-1-1    Hvdx2, Drtx2, BU
30-39    4-0-0    Yalx2, Cgtx2
40-49    2-0-0    RPIx2
50+      6-0-2    Prnx2, Unix2, Brnx2, SLUx2

That would be 23-1-5 overall, 18-1-3 ECAC. Yeah, I'll take that.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 04:54PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: January 31, 2020 04:56PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
It was wonderful walking up the old ramps to get into the Garden. I could feel my body get excited with each step.
I know this feeling from 85 and 86. I've never been as thrilled to enter into any other barn.

I was also there those years. Crazy loud atomosphere. The timbers at the Garden truly swayed, which may have had something to do with shoddy construction too. I recall the 1986 double ot semi-final game with Clarkson and being worried that the T would stop for the night. My late roommate and I stood along with everyone else for basically the entire night, which in the Gahden sometimes meant banging your head on the overhang.

Date: January 31, 2020 04:59PM

arugula
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

I was also there those years. Crazy loud atomosphere. The timbers at the Garden truly swayed, which may have had something to do with shoddy construction too. I recall the 1986 double ot semi-final game with Clarkson and being worried that the T would stop for the night. My late roommate and I stood along with everyone else for basically the entire night, which in the Gahden sometimes meant banging your head on the overhang.
I remember that in the corners at the top of the rink the seats were all over the place and the rows lost their integrity. It was like the top of an ear of corn. :-)

The 86 ECAC SF is still the most exciting game I've ever seen, and the greatest performance by a Cornell goalie I have been present for.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 05:01PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 31, 2020 05:13PM

Trotsky
arugula
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

I remember that in the corners at the top of the rink the seats were all over the place and the rows lost their integrity. It was like the top of an ear of corn. :-)

The 86 ECAC SF is still the most exciting game I've ever seen, and the greatest performance by a Cornell goalie I have been present for.

If you had asked me then, I would have said dadswell was more likely to have the great nhl career than Joe.

Date: January 31, 2020 05:17PM

arugula
If you had asked me then, I would have said dadswell was more likely to have the great nhl career than Joe.

I don't know about that, but when Joe scored 50 in his first couple years I was dumbstruck.

Date: January 31, 2020 05:20PM

arugula
Trotsky
arugula
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Funny, my wife is a Yale grad and her friend was friends with Mike Schwalb who was in the nets for Yale the next night, so I've heard a bit of being on the other side of Dadswell's hot streak. Good Yale team with Randy Wood but the Red were not being stopped that year, at least not in the ECAC.

Date: January 31, 2020 05:22PM

arugula
arugula
Trotsky
arugula
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Funny, my wife is a Yale grad and her friend was friends with Mike Schwalb who was in the nets for Yale the next night, so I've heard a bit of being on the other side of Dadswell's hot streak. Good Yale team with Randy Wood but the Red were not being stopped that year, at least not in the ECAC.

Wait a second, I'm getting (am) old. Got it all reversed. Yale was the double ot semi. Duh

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 31, 2020 05:31PM

we havent played at the level of the bad teams as much as we havent scored given all the chances..

we outshot union by over 10 on the road and tied.

quin we played an avg game at the stats show it as an even game

dartmouth we lost but we out shot them 40-17.. thats just the way hockey goes some nights
dart game 38-22 and another close game but good effort

harvard was the game that we probably deserved to lose out shot by 13 at home..

but harvard has played way below their talent level all yr.

we will know in 3-4 weeks whether we have leveled off our just hit the mid yr lull with the break..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 08:25PM

Welp. This is happening. There's one stinker every year.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-33.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2020 08:31PM

Trotsky
Welp. This is happening. There's one stinker every year.
i thought the statcast was glitching

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 31, 2020 08:32PM

we had 2 spurts of cycling where we produced tons of chances but other than that little zone time.

Quin has gotten goals on the pinch and some good bounce rebounds but this looks just like the harvard game, no pressure and very sloppy D.

we went 2 months with solid games and now its been several in a row and not great effort.

Date: January 31, 2020 10:20PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
dbilmes

The most poignant moment was when a friend at the Springfield Newspapers, my first stop on the pro circuit, looked at his firstborn and said, I can see myself dancing at her wedding. Fast-forward 30 years and he is. Tick, tick,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login