Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Perfection Returns to Lynah

Posted by Swampy 
Perfection Returns to Lynah
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2020 10:52AM

Tonight Cornell will honor the 1969-70 Cornell men's hockey team, the only team in modern NCAA D-I history to go undefeated for an entire season. The 50th-anniversary celebration will be combined with the current team's game with Harvard. Not necessarily by plan, this is especially fitting since the 2019-20 Big Red men's hockey team currently has the highest winning percentage (86.1%) of any Cornell team since 1970.

Nonetheless, I am disappointed in this year's team, particularly in relation to the 1969-70 team. Last May, Dan Lodboa, a captain on the 1969-70 team, passed away. Here's what Dan's Wikipedia entry says about him:*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Lodboa
Lodboa was a tri-captain of the 1969-1970 Cornell Men's Ice Hockey Team, the only team in NCAA history to complete a season with a perfect record, going 29-0. He was the first defenseman to ever become the top Cornell scorer for a season, with 61 points on 24 goals and 37 assists in 1970. Over this three-year varsity career he accounted for 134 points (52-82). He was named The Cornell Daily Sun Athlete of the Year for 1969-70. Lodboa's career highlight is scoring a natural hat trick in the third period of the championship game in 1970, winning the tournament MOP in the process. Lodboa died on May 11, 2019 at the age of 72.[1]
Dan's third goal in the championship game came at 52:17 and put Cornell up 6-3 against Clarkson. Clarkson scored another goal a bit over a minute later. Lodboa not only scored the winning goal, but it's not much of a stretch to say his hat trick, and his overall play, won the game for Cornell. Without Dan, Cornell may not have won the national championship that year, and we would not be commemorating and celebrating tonight.

When Dan Lodboa passed away last year, I hoped the men's hockey team would honor him this season. I envisioned them bringing his family in for an evening honoring him, wearing black armbands all season, and possibly retiring his number. Ben Tupker currently wears it (#14), and since he's a freshman he could have easily been assigned a different number. (Imagine the drama if Tupker were to switch jerseys tonight, and everyone watched as #14 is raised alongside Dryden's and Nieuwendyk's.) Especially with tonight's festivities, this would give testimony to the continuity of the tradition that's Cornell hockey. Wearing the armbands, in particular I think, would have been poignant motivation for this year's team. But instead, AFAIK, nothing has been done to honor this true Cornell hero.

I deliberately held off posting this because I did not want to look past the Dartmouth game. But now I hope the team can at least dedicate their performance tonight to honoring Dan Lodboa and that his heroics won't go unnoticed this evening.

*Along with Peter Shier, who will be there tonight, Lodboa was one of only four defensemen in the team's history to lead it in scoring. His 61 points is still the highest of the four.

Re: Perfection Returns to Lynah
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2020 10:57AM

I am not a fan of retiring numbers and think we should hold it at 1 and 25 forever; in fact it would be great if those numbers eventually were returned and players could honor them by wearing them in memory.

This is notwithstanding Lodboa's amazing contributions.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 10:58AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 25, 2020 12:07PM

Trotsky
I am not a fan of retiring numbers and think we should hold it at 1 and 25 forever; in fact it would be great if those numbers eventually were returned and players could honor them by wearing them in memory.

This is notwithstanding Lodboa's amazing contributions.

I understand your point, and partly agree. There's much to be said of traditions like not retiring numbers. In fact, elsewhere here I've lauded Cam Donaldson for carrying forward the tradition of #7 as set by Doug Ferguson.

But the difficulty with relying on future players to honor past players by wearing their numbers is that future players may leave or be kicked out of the program, may wind up warming the bench for four years, may be injured repeatedly and create a 4-year gap in honoring the number, etc.

I'm not at all adamant about retiring #14. But then again, Cornell does retire numbers, and I don't think the only criterion for doing so should be that their professional careers put them in the HOF in Toronto, which focuses on the NHL. (This is especially so because former college players were exceptionally rare in the NHL before the 1980s, and because as an Ivy school Cornell is less likely to attract students who will succeed at the highest levels of both academia and pro hockey.) If there ever were a player whose performance while at Cornell by itself warranted this honor, it's hard to think of anyone more deserving than Lodboa.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 12:09PM by Swampy.

Posted by: abmarks (64.9.251.---)
Date: January 25, 2020 12:22PM

I like the ring of honor model, where your number and name plate go up in the ring, but your number also can still be worn be active team members.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2020 12:23PM

I'm more with Trotsky on this. Syracuse Lacrosse with #22 and Hill School with #45 traditionally have a number not retired but rather reserved for active players they deem worthy to honor the original iconic wearer. I like that, and it avoids some of Swampy's concerns. It also avoids the situation where you get so many retired numbers you have a hockey team full of football numbers because 1-31 are all retired.

Agree that a black armband would be a great idea to debut tonight. Or perhaps at the home game vs Clarkson.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2020 12:58PM

abmarks
I like the ring of honor model, where your number and name plate go up in the ring, but your number also can still be worn be active team members.

Yes, this.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2020 02:58PM

abmarks
I'm good with this. 25 year gap between final game and eligibility.

Posted by: Pete Shier'78 (64.80.8.---)
Date: January 25, 2020 03:49PM

I never got to meet Dan but was always so impressed with his legacy and what he did here. Got a chance to introduce myself to his son last night so he might appreciate the impact his father made to the program and for me in particular, how even being in the same sentence as Dan was truly humbling. And my $.02 - I think the idea of the Ring of Honor (or Rafters of Honor for Lynah?) would be a great idea.

Date: January 25, 2020 05:31PM

These are all great ideas. They honor not only legendary players of the past, but also current players. They could motivate and inspire players, who would be playing not only for themselves, the team, and the school, but also the memory of the heroes who came before. It takes Coach Schafer's practice of having the players learn about who wore their numbers in the past one step further.

I do not want to imitate tOSU at all, but maybe some special patch or mark on a uniform represented in the Ring of Honor could distinguish the players currently wearing such uniforms.

Two issues with a Ring of Honor idea: (1) what criteria do you use and how do you select who is so honored? (2) What do you do when two players who wore the same number are selected for the Ring?

Besides us kicking these ideas around, I wonder how they might work their way up the chain to Coach Schafer and Andy Noel. Obviously, if done right, they could be used for fundraising. The Ten21 Foundation in lacrosse might provide a preliminary prototype.

As for the black armbands, the idea is likely to take some time to percolate up through the coaches or administration to become team policy. If so, here's what I'd like to see instead: Ben Tupker takes it upon himself to start wearing a black armband with #14: leadership can start with a freshman; then perhaps other players follow suit; then the team's captains do the same, or they call a team meeting and the entire team does. The team then resolves to dedicate the rest of this season to honoring Dan's memory through their play, much the way the lacrosse team dedicates itself to Max Boiardi's memory every season. On the 50th anniversary of Dan's 1970 heroics, I could think of no better tribute than the team itself committing to play as hard as Dan did, from now through April 11.

Pete, I never saw you play, but from what I've heard, you're too modest. I'm really glad to learn Dan's family is here for the celebration. Maybe something is planned to honor his memory that we don't know about, and I will be pleasantly surprised tonight. I'm also really glad you will be there.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 05:40PM by Swampy.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2020 10:49PM

Swampy
I'm really glad to learn Dan's family is here for the celebration. Maybe something is planned to honor his memory that we don't know about, and I will be pleasantly surprised tonight.

During the ceremony for the 1970 team between the first and second periods there was a special tribute to Dan Lodboa, which included a moment of silence.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 11:09PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2020 03:47AM

Swampy

Two issues with a Ring of Honor idea: (1) what criteria do you use and how do you select who is so honored? (2) What do you do when two players who wore the same number are selected for the Ring?

As for the black armbands, the idea is likely to take some time to percolate up through the coaches or administration to become team policy. If so, here's what I'd like to see instead: Ben Tupker takes it upon himself to start wearing a black armband with #14: leadership can start with a freshman; then perhaps other players follow suit; then the team's captains do the same, or they call a team meeting and the entire team does. The team then resolves to dedicate the rest of this season to honoring Dan's memory through their play, much the way the lacrosse team dedicates itself to Max Boiardi's memory every season. On the 50th anniversary of Dan's 1970 heroics, I could think of no better tribute than the team itself committing to play as hard as Dan did, from now through April 11.

Two players with the same number means you put the number up twice, just with a different nameplate next to each one.

Personally I think black armbands for are a bit dramatic and overwrought. If you want an armband for someone that has been around the program, like Mike Teeter, sure. Someone who was a legendary player but no sustained connection to the team- go with the black sticker dot with his number on the helmet.

Date: January 26, 2020 10:05AM

andyw2100
Swampy
I'm really glad to learn Dan's family is here for the celebration. Maybe something is planned to honor his memory that we don't know about, and I will be pleasantly surprised tonight.

During the ceremony for the 1970 team between the first and second periods there was a special tribute to Dan Lodboa, which included a moment of silence.

Didn't know that. I don't think they showed that on ESPN+. Thanks.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2020 04:57PM

Does anyone have any insight into Brian Cropper's absence last evening? I hope he's in good health!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2020 07:16PM

redice
Does anyone have any insight into Brian Cropper's absence last evening? I hope he's in good health!

I also hope he is doing well. Perhaps he has heard the legend of the undefeated team so many times that he forgot it wasn't Ken in goal that year.burnout

Date: January 26, 2020 10:37PM

marty
redice

I also hope he is doing well. Perhaps he has heard the legend of the undefeated team so many times that he forgot it wasn't Ken in goal that year.burnout

+1

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 11:25AM

redice

I don't think it's out of school to mention what I was told ... basically that he had something to take care of medically - it was scheduled for this week - and if he postponed it, it would've been another 3 months+ ... so he felt he had to stay and do it. No idea the nature of it.

Date: January 27, 2020 12:37PM

adamw
redice

I don't think it's out of school to mention what I was told ... basically that he had something to take care of medically - it was scheduled for this week - and if he postponed it, it would've been another 3 months+ ... so he felt he had to stay and do it. No idea the nature of it.

Thanks, Adam!

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 27, 2020 01:46PM

finally watched the video and choked up when lodboa's kid choked up

Posted by: slh10 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2020 07:00PM

Seeing the 1970 team was great, however I feel the need to vent my frustration here before sending Andy Noel a letter. As a fan of over 40 years I have seen a few special events held at Lynah. Honoring our Championship teams, retired numbers etc.... It blows my mind that no one has the thought process to get a couple of carpets to roll out to center ice and have the distinguished guests be at center ice where they belong. I've personally seen the ROTC members fall to the ice more than once. In the last few years they have started wearing strap on ice cleats. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 27, 2020 07:31PM

ugarte
finally watched the video and choked up when lodboa's kid choked up

I little more emotion.

I went to the reception for the 70 Team and was quickly found by Dan Lodboa's son. He relayed an interesting tidbit from 10 years ago when there was a similar event honoring the 70 Team.

That year Dan came with his son. I looked Dan up and had him sign my jersey. Also showed his son the picture that was hanging showing him scoring the 2 man down goal.

This year his son said he had to tell me how much the whole affair meant to Dan. He said afterwards Dan remarked that he never realized, nor thought, that people would still be remembering the event, say nothing that it still held "some importance" to people at Cornell.

I'm really sorry that he couldn't be there one more time. It's obvious how much his teammates thought of him.

I'd like to think that the ECAC, say nothing of the NCAA, will also do something to honor the team at their tournaments.

Posted by: Ninian 72 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 08:04PM

Sorry Brian couldn't make it. FWIW, this is on the Canadian health care system. It's held up by some as a desirable alternative to the US system. But this stuff happens. I attended a wedding this summer in which the groom was Canadian. An aunt couldn't attend, because she'd been on the queue for a procedure but would have had to go back to the end and wait another six months, if she had attended. Canadian relatives were in high dudgeon, and I don't blame them. Be careful what you wish for...

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: January 27, 2020 08:33PM

Hey, I am class of '72 and American and I have had similar experiences with medical procedures and doctor's appointments. It is a fact of life once you get to the point where you need bone density tests and colonoscopies to go along with your annual physical, and flu shots. If you need something like knee replacement surgery, you usually aren't in a position to negotiate as to when the procedure will take place.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.141.---)
Date: January 27, 2020 09:28PM

And how much does this 'knee replacement" cost?

Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: January 27, 2020 10:27PM

Ninian 72
Sorry Brian couldn't make it. FWIW, this is on the Canadian health care system. It's held up by some as a desirable alternative to the US system. But this stuff happens. I attended a wedding this summer in which the groom was Canadian. An aunt couldn't attend, because she'd been on the queue for a procedure but would have had to go back to the end and wait another six months, if she had attended. Canadian relatives were in high dudgeon, and I don't blame them. Be careful what you wish for...

From what I understand by speaking with Canadians about these famous queues, they exist for non-urgent procedures. I’d say “only” for such procedures, except I suppose there may be exceptions, such as in cases of natural disasters or remote communities far from major medical centers.

The good news is that if this is true, Brian doesn’t have anything requiring urgent care, which may imply that whatever the reason for the procedure, it’s not too serious.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 12:57AM

Ninian 72
Sorry Brian couldn't make it. FWIW, this is on the Canadian health care system.
Ah man, the guy missed a cool thing because he was getting free surgery and rescheduling would be hard because so were a lot of other people! Rough! I'll bet if he wanted to he could have had the surgery done in Ithaca on Sunday with one slight change...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 06:49AM

ugarte
Ninian 72
Sorry Brian couldn't make it. FWIW, this is on the Canadian health care system.
Ah man, the guy missed a cool thing because he was getting free surgery and rescheduling would be hard because so were a lot of other people! Rough! I'll bet if he wanted to he could have had the surgery done in Ithaca on Sunday with one slight change...

I would say it would be more than "change". More like lots of bills.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 04:44AM

[cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 08:12AM

A lot of the players looked old. That didn't seem possible since I'm less than a decade younger. Slowly it dawns on you and without anybody say, "OK, Boomer."

Date: February 02, 2020 10:52PM

Didn't know where else to put this, so I'm putting it here.

This is the 50th anniversary of the perfect season, and it's been fifty years since Kansas City won a Super Bowl. Both teams also wear red.

The Law of Magic Numbers implies that 50 is a special number this year. It's particularly good for ending droughts in athletic championships. Might we hope that another team wearing red will end another 50-year drought this April?

P.S. Congratulations to the Chiefs and all their long-suffering fans.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2020 11:14PM

Swampy

This is the 50th anniversary of the perfect season, and it's been fifty years since Kansas City won a Super Bowl. Both teams also wear red.

The Law of Magic Numbers implies that 50 is a special number this year. It's particularly good for ending droughts in athletic championships. Might we hope that another team wearing red will end another 50-year drought this April?

The woofing gods have not noticed this

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-25.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2020 11:43PM

Swampy

As a Niners fan who hates the tomahawk chop, bah.

Date: February 03, 2020 08:59AM

Swampy
..... it's been fifty years since Kansas City won a Super Bowl. Both teams also wear red.

I told my wife last night, after the SB, "This is the year of RED!!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login