Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah Documentary This Weekend

Posted by Pete Shier'78 
Lynah Documentary This Weekend
Posted by: Pete Shier'78 (---.beanfield.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 07:52PM

Hello Cornell Hockey Fans
Pete Shier '78 here. I played defense for the Big Red back in the day.
My company - Naked Creative Consultancy - out of Toronto is currently creating & producing a documentary film about Cornell Hockey as seen and heard through the eyes and ears of Lynah Rink. Our "working" title is 'The Greatest Hockey Atmosphere You've Never Heard Of". We will be using historical footage, interviews, stories, old video, new video, photography etc etc to tell the story of this magnificent building and the rabid Lynah Faithful who create an atmosphere that is unlike anything else in college hockey. The doc is being created first and foremost as a tool for Coach Schafer as perhaps a short showcase or recruiting video and then we will take it further and develop a longer version, as we think it's a captivating story worth telling...

"In an era of 12,000 seat, multi-million dollar college arenas, sits a 4,200+ seat (benches really) old wooden barn of a building in upstate NY that is one of the most exhilarating & intimidating hockey rinks to play in."

We are bringing our crew down this weekend to capture all the festivities that only the Harvard weekend can bring. We'll be shooting crowd video at all the games and I would invite those of you attending to a) get there early b) continually demonstrate throughout the games why Lynah is one of the toughest buildings for opposing teams to play in. Make noise, get in their faces, yell at people, create havoc, find out the name of the goalie's mother, if you wanna be a fish guy, be a fish guy, do your cheers and chants. Cowbell Guy - bring it on! Big Red Band - set the pace. Lynah Faithful - Get louder. We want to create something we can all be proud of and we'd love you all to be a part of it...We want to hear you!!!!
We'll be running around Lynah all weekend, so please say hello...

Thanks,
pete

Go Big Red

Re: Lynah Documentary This Weekend
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2020 09:08PM

Okay, now I REALLY hope the weather forecast improves. We're planning to head up this weekend, but we won't if the expected snow is likely to cause a problem getting back to Brooklyn.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 09:23PM

This is terrific. Sorry I can’t be at Lynah this weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2020 10:45PM by scoop85.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 10:25PM

scoop85
This is terrific. Sorry I can’t be at Lynch this weekend.

I have the same autocorrect problem. I was told the robots would learn.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 10:46PM

RichH
scoop85
This is terrific. Sorry I can’t be at Lynch this weekend.

I have the same autocorrect problem. I was told the robots would learn.

Yeah, I missed the autocorrect originally. Fixed it.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 02:48AM

In case Pete Shier is reading this thread- talk to Andy Noel about having the ushers let the crowd play. Wonder if he'd loosen up a bit for the sake of a recruiting video.

Posted by: Pete Shier'78 (---.beanfield.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 06:55AM

great idea. will try to speak with him to see if that's possible

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: January 23, 2020 08:55AM

Beeeej
Okay, now I REALLY hope the weather forecast improves. We're planning to head up this weekend, but we won't if the expected snow is likely to cause a problem getting back to Brooklyn.
Forecast is trending warmer. Mostly rain. [forecast.weather.gov]

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2020 09:56AM

abmarks
In case Pete Shier is reading this thread- talk to Andy Noel about having the ushers let the crowd play. Wonder if he'd loosen up a bit for the sake of a recruiting video.

Absolutely Andy would be on board. He'd LOVE to have our most devilish hijinx recorded for posterity and shown to everyone the net could reach. That sounds like him.doh

For Pete's (!) sake though, don't include shots the tv loves: preteens doing the floss on dancecam and the fans that upon seeing a camera act like meth-heads having a seizure,

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: January 23, 2020 11:36AM

TimV
abmarks

Absolutely Andy would be on board. He'd LOVE to have our most devilish hijinx recorded for posterity and shown to everyone the net could reach. That sounds like him.doh

Look on the bright side. If the Lynah usher(ette)s let up for one game and it was recorded for all to see it would be entered in Wikipedia as "False News".

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 23, 2020 12:10PM

So might as well post this link, where CU-Harvard makes NCAA.com's top 5 hockey rivalries.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 12:39PM

Thanks very much for doing this, Pete. And for all those spectacular games with the Big Red. You are well remembered by the Faithful. I didn't see a game until 3 years after you had left but you were, and are, a Cornell legend.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 03:11PM

Trotsky
Thanks very much for doing this, Pete. And for all those spectacular games with the Big Red. You are well remembered by the Faithful. I didn't see a game until 3 years after you had left but you were, and are, a Cornell legend.

I agree. I missed Pete by a year, but my junior year roommate - a grad student at the time - raved about him and how the goalies would actually duck when he took a slap shot.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.117.---)
Date: January 23, 2020 05:06PM

It's great that you're doing this Pete. As far as I know, I'm the only Cornell fan who wears a replica of your jersey autographed by you! I'll be wearing it at Q next weekend although I'm sure Lynah will be a lot more fun this weekend than Hamden next weekend.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2020 08:05AM

KenP
Beeeej

Enough forecasts show sub-freezing temps during the rain over Saturday night that we're concerned about the drive back Sunday, and we're reluctantly canceling our trip. Apart from the longer, slower (and more dangerous) drive if it is icy, we simply can't afford to miss work on Monday if something goes wrong. Mock if you wish, but we're comfortable with our decision and we'll be making homemade Hot Truck to go with our ESPN+ viewings. Cheer a little louder for us - and Pete, very sorry we won't be there! DM me if you want to talk about how my wife and I met because of Cornell hockey and the eLynah Forum. :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: cufan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 08:52AM

I trust that the film team will edit wisely and not make us Ivy Leagues look like morons. Spirit yes, Stupidity no.

Date: January 24, 2020 09:00AM

Beeeej
KenP
Beeeej

Enough forecasts show sub-freezing temps during the rain over Saturday night that we're concerned about the drive back Sunday, and we're reluctantly canceling our trip. Apart from the longer, slower (and more dangerous) drive if it is icy, we simply can't afford to miss work on Monday if something goes wrong. Mock if you wish, but we're comfortable with our decision and we'll be making homemade Hot Truck to go with our ESPN+ viewings. Cheer a little louder for us - and Pete, very sorry we won't be there! DM me if you want to talk about how my wife and I met because of Cornell hockey and the eLynah Forum. :-)

Nobody is going to mock you, you have crossed over the magical invisible line. It happened to me a few years ago when I slipped on a sidewalk in front of a bunch of random dudes. A few years before they would have all just broken up and laughed. But instead they were genuinely concerned.

That was the moment I understood I was An Old Fuck.

Embrace it. We have all the money.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 09:01AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 09:58AM

Trotsky
Beeeej
KenP
Beeeej

Nobody is going to mock you, you have crossed over the magical invisible line. It happened to me a few years ago when I slipped on a sidewalk in front of a bunch of random dudes. A few years before they would have all just broken up and laughed. But instead they were genuinely concerned.

This may be the most amusing thing you've ever posted. Given that we're around the same age, I know exactly where you're coming from

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 12:36PM

I hope the documentary will capture three anthems sung off the ice:
  • Fans yelling "Red!" during the U.S. national anthem,
  • The second American national anthem being played to honor players who come from a part of America other than the U.S., and
  • The Alma Mater

Ever since I sang the Alma Mater at my first Cornell athletic event, I've felt it celebrates Cornell as the quintessential, canonical U.S. university: "the first true American [sic] university."*

*Perhaps "sic" is uncalled for, since in 1865 Cornell University was unique in the Americas. But not all American countries followed its example, and Cornell did lead the way in the U.S.

Date: January 24, 2020 01:06PM

I hope it also gives due weight to the townies.

And I wish there was a way to capture the walk to the rink as part of the experience. Walking from the dorms (in my case, West Campus) through the campus to get to the rink, with the streams of other fans gradually getting thicker, especially in bad weather, was romantic. It was thrilling. I hope it still is -- I hope all the cynical sarcastic bullshit that kids front, even worse these days, hasn't sucked that life out of them. I hope they're not too clever to feel really alive.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 01:06PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 01:39PM

Trotsky

And I wish there was a way to capture the walk to the rink as part of the experience. Walking from the dorms (in my case, West Campus) through the campus to get to the rink, with the streams of other fans gradually getting thicker, especially in bad weather, was romantic. It was thrilling. I hope it still is -- I hope all the cynical sarcastic bullshit that kids front, even worse these days, hasn't sucked that life out of them. I hope they're not too clever to feel really alive.

“Hey, it’s 7:25. Do you want to call our Uber to the arena now?”

But I’m a cynical ass.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.15.---)
Date: January 24, 2020 01:43PM

Trotsky

Walking through the engineering quad while excitedly yelling "DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS" "dude stop it you do this every week" "IT'S HOCKEY TIME" really did have an energy to it.

Posted by: Pete Shier'78 (64.80.8.---)
Date: January 24, 2020 03:36PM

Thanks for all the notes, advice and appreciate the feedback from the Faithful. Did some great interviews today with some players and coaches and looking forward to tonights game.

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: January 24, 2020 04:58PM

scoop85
Trotsky
Beeeej
KenP
Beeeej

This may be the most amusing thing you've ever posted. Given that we're around the same age, I know exactly where you're coming from

Me too. Although my moment was the first time a 20 something woman called me "Sir".

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 05:45PM

abmarks
scoop85
Trotsky
Beeeej
KenP
Beeeej

Me too. Although my moment was the first time a 20 something woman called me "Sir".

I still tell people all the time that I'm not a "Sir", my father was.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 06:37PM

Larry72
abmarks
scoop85
Trotsky
Beeeej
KenP
Beeeej

My first time I felt old was when I went back to campus to visit some classmates in their first year of grad school. We went to "fun in the Sun" and I remember saying to my friends "Jesus, these kids look so young!"

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 10:16PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Larry72
abmarks
scoop85
Trotsky
Beeeej
KenP
Beeeej

My first time I felt old was when I went back to campus to visit some classmates in their first year of grad school. We went to "fun in the Sun" and I remember saying to my friends "Jesus, these kids look so young!"

This probably isn't such a milestone any more, but it hit home for me when I had (and now I have one again) a boss younger than me.

I still cling desperately to the idea that I'm not *really* old because there hasn't been a President younger than me yet. Looks like it won't happen this time either.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 09:10AM

That's your office in the Naked Conspiracy - sorry, Naked Creative, which sounds good, too - promo video? Nice! It looks like the people who created the set for Friends (impossibly big and airy NYC apartment) did your office in perfect millennial fashion, the polished floor, the brick walls, all the backpacks, the cute dog who came to work. To work there, do you have to have great one-liners and only one person is allowed to be overweight?

Posted by: Pete Shier'78 (72.15.55.---)
Date: February 05, 2020 01:16PM

Good observations Bill...everyone who works here is about 12 years old (feels like it anyway) so my taste in music, food, movies, anything cultural etc. is universally ignored. ;-) We all have great one liners and if there's only one guy overweight, it's me! Thanks for the note.

Posted by: lhayes (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2020 07:26PM

Can’t resist a chance to say thank you to Pete Shier, whom I worshipped as an Ithaca High School student in the 70s. Cornell hockey made some bleak high school years better! I moved away long ago but have kept in touch with Lynah (my parents kept their season tickets for decades afterwards). Looking forward to being back next weekend!

Posted by: Pete Shier'78 (72.15.55.---)
Date: February 27, 2020 03:06PM

Hey All
Pete Shier '78 here again.
My crew and I are coming down to CU again this weekend to capture more Lynah footage for our documentary. Lynah should be rockin'.
(fyi- the footage we shot from the Harvard weekend was FANTASTIC)

Our film will capture not only the wild and noisy atmosphere inside Lynah but also we want to hear from The Lynah Faithful themselves - and that's you!

To that end, if you are interested in potentially being a part of our film, we will be at Lynah from 12-2 pm on Saturday to film a variety of people telling us what it's like to be a a part of The Faithful. We're looking for students, profs, townies, hockey fans, kids, etc etc - anyone who is part of the Faithful and wants to tell the world why Lynah is the greatest hockey environment people have never heard of. Please drop by to help us out if you can.

Come to the Lynah entrance doors that are across from Schoellkopf (NW corner I believe) btw 12pm + 2pm and we'll set you up and get you on camera.

And it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway...), let's make lots of noise this weekend and help the boys capture this title...again!!

Thanks all,

pete

p.s. A special note to the Telephone script guy; send me a note please: peters@nakedcreative.com

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-16.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2020 09:22AM

Pete Shier'78
Hey All
Pete Shier '78 here again.
My crew and I are coming down to CU again this weekend to capture more Lynah footage for our documentary. Lynah should be rockin'.
(fyi- the footage we shot from the Harvard weekend was FANTASTIC)

Our film will capture not only the wild and noisy atmosphere inside Lynah but also we want to hear from The Lynah Faithful themselves - and that's you!

To that end, if you are interested in potentially being a part of our film, we will be at Lynah from 12-2 pm on Saturday to film a variety of people telling us what it's like to be a a part of The Faithful. We're looking for students, profs, townies, hockey fans, kids, etc etc - anyone who is part of the Faithful and wants to tell the world why Lynah is the greatest hockey environment people have never heard of. Please drop by to help us out if you can.

Come to the Lynah entrance doors that are across from Schoellkopf (NW corner I believe) btw 12pm + 2pm and we'll set you up and get you on camera.

And it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway...), let's make lots of noise this weekend and help the boys capture this title...again!!

Thanks all,

pete

p.s. A special note to the Telephone script guy; send me a note please: peters@nakedcreative.com

Cool. Believe that’s the Southwest corner of Lynah (Section A)

Posted by: Pete Shier'78 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2020 08:43AM

yes, sorry you're right...southwest corner

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2020 09:28AM

I was curious to hear what the current plans are for this documentary.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2022 12:42PM

Wondering about the status of this…

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login