Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Visiting Lynah guide

Posted by KenP 
Visiting Lynah guide
Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2020 09:06AM

I’m planning my first visit to Lynah in over 20 years. Dartmouth and maybe Sucks. Looking for advice to plan the trip.

Where to park and when to get there?

Best sections for seating?

Easy food choices? (I’ll be with my daughter and niece so no bars)

What cheers are most common nowadays?

Any other thoughts for a nice weekend visit?

Thanks for any suggestions. I’ll probably have my Shane Hynes sweater on. Feel free to stop and say hi.

Re: Visiting Lynah guide
Posted by: RobinL (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2020 09:58AM

Great questions.

Also, is there a reason the CU ticket office isn't selling single game tickets until ~ 4 days before? Is that due to the Pick 5 option this year?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 20, 2020 10:43AM

KenP
I’m planning my first visit to Lynah in over 20 years. Dartmouth and maybe Sucks. Looking for advice to plan the trip.

Where to park and when to get there?

Best sections for seating?

Easy food choices? (I’ll be with my daughter and niece so no bars)

What cheers are most common nowadays?

Any other thoughts for a nice weekend visit?

Thanks for any suggestions. I’ll probably have my Shane Hynes sweater on. Feel free to stop and say hi.

1/2-1 hour before will probably get you parking off Tower Road, behind Alumni Fields. It's easy in and out.

Don't know what tickets they have available, but all seats are reasonable.

Food and others, I'll let the locals answer.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2020 10:49AM

I went out last year. They were selling tickets on Tuesdays before that weekend's games. I don't know the reasoning but I don't believe there was a pick 5 last year.

My kids really liked Waffle Frolic (Commons) and Luna Inspired Street Food (Just off the Commons). Both are very casual, laid back places.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 20, 2020 10:53AM

parking depends on the game. harvard will be a royal pain.. employee day games all day, bball wrestling too, sometimes i have to park down beyond the dairy in the corner lot on busy days.

CU decided selling no tickets better than letting people plan for games in advance.. the pick 5 is a nice idea but they locked all the tickets and didnt promote it so they sold very few. i think some have moved since this weekend though

still 1-200 left for the harvard game at this point.

in past yrs they have season ticket holders early promotion for the harvard game buy not this yr and no email about the promotion either.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 20, 2020 12:06PM

Some of the Ag Quad academic building lots should be permit-free after 5 PM on weekdays and all day during the weekends. Easy walk to the rink and should be easy to get out

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: January 21, 2020 09:39AM

Thanks for the parking advice. How are the concessions from a price and heartburn perspective? I'm assuming we cannot bring food in with us?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 21, 2020 10:32AM

Concessions are limited. Pared down even more this yr.

hot dogs
chips
popcorn
pretzels
soda
coffee
hot choc
candy
nachos
some special things i think Pizza

sometimes the ice cream booths are open

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-244-96.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2020 10:40AM

KenP
Thanks for the parking advice. How are the concessions from a price and heartburn perspective? I'm assuming we cannot bring food in with us?

Fish and octopi are considered as bring your own on Saturday.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2020 12:04PM

The older you are and the bulkier of a parka you wear, the more food one can bring in, within reason. I think Cornell has plenty to eat and prices are okay. This is not Madison Square Garden and the $11 pretzel, or T-Mobile Arena (Las Vegas) and $17 beers / $26 specialty cocktails. The concourse between Lynah Rink and where they play basketball (which is not Barton Hall) has room to stretch your legs, buy stuff, and not wait in line to go pee. Cornell now has created more spaces indoors for times when it's cold.

PSP has an extensive selection of hats, tees, LS tees, scarves, etcetera, and they are quite affordable. I use their concession to stock up on the Cornell hats I've left on planes, in theaters, etcetera.

If you bring a grade school kid with you, you may find some of the cheers a little crude.

If you want to show a youngster the restaurant / bar you frequented in Collegetown, the answer is: It's gone. The food that's there is Asian / fusion. Old farts (Boomers) who lived on pizza and Italian food and thought Chinese food was exotic, this is a whole 'nother Collegetown. Also, the students are smarter than I was, and possibly the rest of us. My programming skills stopped at creating 4-up dBase II mailing labels and suppressing blank address lines. Today's freshmen wrote iPhone apps to monintor grandma's glucose levels.

If your kid asks what was that word screamed out, the answer is "firetruck" or "beats-it."

The Farmers Market near the lake is popular just not open until we're back to sweatshirt-not-parka weather. The Piggery on Route 13 semi-near Purity has incredible pork products, especially the sausages and brined chops. There are a lot restaurants downtown you won't recognize and if you go into a couple of them, you suspect there continues to be a cadre of affluent students including ever more affluent international students.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.143.---)
Date: January 21, 2020 12:18PM

Just go get Hot Truck. now available 24/7 at Short Stop. otherwise, the commons has more food options than you can imagine.

Posted by: nmcorm83 (165.215.94.---)
Date: January 21, 2020 12:30PM

billhoward

If you want to show a youngster the restaurant / bar you frequented in Collegetown, the answer is: It's gone.

They're not ALL gone - I had dinner at Rulloffs before the Friday Northern Michigan game. Unfortunately, the building that they are in will be torn down in June. College Town Bagels will move across the street to Sheldon Court, but it's not clear if Rulloffs will find another location.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-27.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2020 01:18PM

The Rancor
Just go get Hot Truck. now available 24/7 at Short Stop. otherwise, the commons has more food options than you can imagine.

Unless they've updated the menu, Short Stop Hot Truck was never as good as actual Hot Truck.

RIP Hot Truck. The only house that consistently ordered delivery in 2004 will miss you.

Date: January 21, 2020 01:33PM

The tickets went pretty fast this year. And it was a strain on the capacity of the universityticketing engine Cornell uses.

If you were shut out: I have also had good luck finding an odd ticket getting to the rink an hour before gametime (the Harvard game) and just asking people over and over, but not this year since my wife is coming along too. But I haven't tried that in a season when Cornell is the #1 rated team. Which would be, like, 2003. (It did work at Yale the fall after the champsionship season; I got one ticket at face value and my son in a Cornell hockey jersey got one free from a - was this man drunk? - Yale alum just before the game started. On the other hand, Cornell is just rolling with the supply/demand curve.

Next year I might just swallow hard, buy the five pack times two people, find one more weekend to come back (not a big problem), and then donate the unused fifth game ticket back to the U. But then I suppose this also encourages the bastards.

Date: January 21, 2020 01:48PM

and of course the weather could turn into a major issue if the storm thats trying to build actually comes to fruition. lots wont be plowed and employee day people will be filling lots all over

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2020 02:09PM

For parking you can't beat the garage next to Schoelkopf. It takes a while to empty out but that's a fair trade for not worrying about the snow.

C-Town has gone to shit. Downtown Ithaca has several overrated and overpriced foody places that aren't satisfying (I'm sure they are considered tres chic). Agava on East Hill is solid but service is slow; I wouldn't go if there's any time pressure. Make the time if you love tequila.

But I mean it's Ithaca -- you're not there for quality of life, you're there for hockey. Grab some of the farty rink food and pick through the cheaply made t shirts inside Alberding and enjoy the games!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 02:10PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2020 02:57PM

Some things never change (at least not in most of our lifetimes). But you must descend East Hill.

State Street Diner is still going strong, and you can regale the kids with tales about the all-nighters you used to pull.

Purity is still Purity, with some of the best ice cream there is. It's winter, so ice cream may not be entirely apropos. But maybe go early, order lunch and then something with hot fudge, make your way up the hill to park, and then try to finagle tickets to the Harvard game; just call your sundaes dinner, and skip the other junk foods that are undeserving of Michelin stars. (Although it's open until 11 on Fridays and Saturdays, Purity now serves regular food for breakfast and lunch but not dinner.)

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: January 21, 2020 03:47PM

Swampy

Purity is still Purity

Purity is not strictly speaking still Purity. The ice cream is now manufactured by Byrne Dairy

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: January 21, 2020 04:20PM

nshapiro
Swampy

Purity is still Purity

Purity is not strictly speaking still Purity. The ice cream is now manufactured by Byrne Dairy
How is Purity as compared to the Dairy Bar?

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2020 08:53PM

I like the food at Maxie's Supper Club. Haven't been there for a while, so maybe this weekend!
Sad to hear that the the building that currently houses Rulloff's is going to be torn down. Love the quirky architecture, but it's very dark and "worn."

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2020 10:35PM

billhoward
The older you are and the bulkier of a parka you wear, the more food one can bring in, within reason.

I sure wouldn't try that on Saturday night when they might be checking people for fish - even if you're old.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.142.---)
Date: January 21, 2020 10:57PM

Anne 85
I like the food at Maxie's Supper Club. Haven't been there for a while, so maybe this weekend!
Sad to hear that the the building that currently houses Rulloff's is going to be torn down. Love the quirky architecture, but it's very dark and "worn."
the Rulloff's bar is well over 150 years old. It was installed from an apothicarry shop when they opened the bar in 79ish... I worked there for 6 years and it kills me that it will be gone. hopefully someone saves the bar, and its original silver backed plate glass and hand carved mahogany back. all original.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 12:26AM

Moosewood is still open, if that floats your boat.
For a bit of entertainment at dinner, try Sumo Hibachi and Sushi Restaurant and sit at a grill for the usual cooking show. It's in a strip mall, so parking is easy.

Date: January 22, 2020 10:44AM

The Rancor
the Rulloff's bar is well over 150 years old. It was installed from an apothicarry shop when they opened the bar in 79ish... I worked there for 6 years and it kills me that it will be gone. hopefully someone saves the bar, and its original silver backed plate glass and hand carved mahogany back. all original.
There are a gazillion little details in Ruloffs that are brilliant. I too hope they save that hardware. It must be worth something on the vintage niche weirdo collectible market.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 12:09PM

Collegetown lost its soul when the Palms was torn down.

Date: January 22, 2020 12:12PM

it will be interesting to see what happens now that the frat parties are being so restricted do kids start wanting to go back and hang out in a real college town setting again?

Date: January 22, 2020 12:51PM

Maybe Tinder (or whatever the Kids Today equivalent is) has killed partying. For all its other attractions partying was at the core how you hooked up. Now people can hook up directly, without the overhead.

All of youth culture is driven by fucking. Technological changes in fucking are bound to have serious economic and social repercussions. c.f. the automobile.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2020 12:52PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 03:38PM

nshapiro
Swampy

Purity is still Purity

Fair point. The ice cream is manufactured by Byrne Dairy, but still uses the Purity recipes (and presumably the Purity ingredients.)

[www.byrnedairy.com]

Date: January 22, 2020 03:42PM

KenP

I like the ice cream at both Purity and The Dairy Bar. I think the Dairy Bar ice cream is a bit richer and creamier. Oddly, though, I don't think that is true of the Dairy Bar chocolate and chocolate varieties. I generally will order some variety of chocolate when ordering ice cream (Chocolate Bittersweet at Purity) but now won't order any variety of chocolate at The Dairy Bar.

Edit--Also a quick warning: The Dairy Bar does not seem to be open on weekends right now. A Google search will show that they should be open on Saturdays. A few weeks ago we were downtown and planning on stopping for ice cream on the way home on a Saturday. The Dairy Bar was on the way, and Purity was not. I checked online, to make sure The Dairy Bar would be open, and saw that it was. We got there. It wasn't. My wife then checked their Facebook page, which shows that they are closed Saturdays and Sundays. I just checked, and this inconsistency remains.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: January 22, 2020 03:46PM

andyw2100
KenP

I like the ice cream at both Purity and The Dairy Bar. I think the Dairy Bar ice cream is a bit richer and creamier. Oddly, though, I don't think that is true of the Dairy Bar chocolate and chocolate varieties. I generally will order some variety of chocolate when ordering ice cream (Chocolate Bittersweet at Purity) but now won't order any variety of chocolate at The Dairy Bar.

Sweet Melissa's is also very good. (As is Cayuga Lake Creamery if you have time to get up to Interlaken.)

Date: January 22, 2020 04:02PM

Weder

Sweet Melissa's is also very good. (As is Cayuga Lake Creamery if you have time to get up to Interlaken.)

There is now a Cayuga Lake Creamery store in the Dewitt Mall in downtown Ithaca. I believe a single scoop cone is about $5. The ice cream is good, but not $5 per scoop good (at least in my opinion.)

Posted by: profudge (172.76.231.---)
Date: January 22, 2020 04:08PM

Cayuga Creamery in Interlaken is best ice cream in NY state according to many - Our family makes it a point to stop there at least several times a year. Love their waffle cones and fresh ice cream!

At the rink my son has tried the hamburgers and occasional specials like pulled pork sandwich and chicken street tacos and he declared them a-OK for arena food.

There is a bagel shop and a subway in the East hill shopping center for quick snacks (also Burger King).

Have a good time and enjoy the visit! LGR

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2020 04:39PM

andyw2100
nshapiro
Swampy

Purity is still Purity

Fair point. The ice cream is manufactured by Byrne Dairy, but still uses the Purity recipes (and presumably the Purity ingredients.)

[www.byrnedairy.com]

They seem to be using continuation of the traditional Purity recipes as a marketing device.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2020 05:55PM

Trotsky

All of youth culture is driven by fucking.

FYP

Date: January 23, 2020 09:01AM

TimV
Trotsky

All of youth culture is driven by fucking.

FYP

From the British sitcom Coupling (Season 1 Episode 4...but watch the whole series)

Jill: [about the film "Lesbian Spank Inferno"] How could you possibly enjoy a film like that?

Steve: Oh, because it's got naked women in it! Look, I like naked women! I'm a bloke! I'm supposed to like them! We're born like that. We like naked women as soon as we're pulled out of one. Halfway down the birth canal we're already enjoying the view. Look, it's the four pillars of the male heterosexual psyche. We like: naked women, stockings, lesbians, and Sean Connery best as James Bond. Because that is what being a bloke is. And if you don't like it, darling, join a film collective. I want to spend the rest of my life with the woman at the end of the table here. But that does not stop me wanting to see several thousand more naked bottoms before I die. Because that's what being a bloke is. When Man invented fire, he didn't say "Hey, let's cook!" He said: "Great! Now we can see naked bottoms in the dark!" As soon as Caxton invented the printing press we were using it to make pictures of - hey! - naked bottoms. We've turned the Internet into an enormous international database of... naked bottoms. So, you see, the story of male achievement through the ages, feeble though it may have been, has been the story of our struggle to get a better look at your bottoms. Frankly, girls, I'm not so sure how insulted you really ought to be.

Date: January 23, 2020 05:53PM

I second the recommendation to watch all episodes of Coupling, but make sure it's the British series. They tried a US version and it was absolutely dreadful!

Posted by: ajh258 (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 06:54PM

osorojo
Collegetown lost its soul when the Palms was torn down.

Hear hear

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 09:08PM

Anne 85
I second the recommendation to watch all episodes of Coupling, but make sure it's the British series. They tried a US version and it was absolutely dreadful!
The Brit version got kinda lame too, but my god S1 was wonderful.

Date: January 24, 2020 09:14AM

Trotsky
Anne 85

The US version pilot was line-for-line identical to the British version's first episode, and somehow, it managed to suck, and I agree that the British version did get worse over time, but I think season 2 was still great.

Date: January 24, 2020 09:27AM

nshapiro
The US version pilot was line-for-line identical to the British version's first episode, and somehow, it managed to suck
Like a bad high school version of a musical.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 12:15PM

nshapiro
Trotsky
Anne 85

The US version pilot was line-for-line identical to the British version's first episode, and somehow, it managed to suck, and I agree that the British version did get worse over time, but I think season 2 was still great.

Perhaps the US version didn't say "bottom" enough. Har har har, oh that superior and more-sophisticated British humour.

It may also be that the US had already exhausted that particular sitcom format with "Friends," which was winding down at that time (and wasn't as good as many remember).

Date: January 24, 2020 12:20PM

RichH
It may also be that the US had already exhausted that particular sitcom format with "Friends," which was winding down at that time (and wasn't as good as many remember).

I never watched Friends but my impression is it was just a stupid person's version of HIMYM. If so, then Friends wasn't anything like Coupling.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 06:32PM

Trotsky
nshapiro
The US version pilot was line-for-line identical to the British version's first episode, and somehow, it managed to suck

My sense was that the American version was essentially full of "Oh my God, did we just say that?" kind of acting where the British version was genuine.

And besides, I had (have?) a huge crush on Gina Bellman and nobody could replace her in my eyes.

Date: January 28, 2020 12:14PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

My sense was that the American version was essentially full of "Oh my God, did we just say that?" kind of acting where the British version was genuine.

And besides, I had (have?) a huge crush on Gina Bellman and nobody could replace her in my eyes.

Sorry, but Sarah Alexander is the cutest thing to come out of the UK since Felicity Kendal (from The Good Life (US title Good Neighbors), another must watch show), of whom it was said "Half the men in Britain admit they are in love with her, and the other half just won't admit it"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 12:15PM by nshapiro.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2020 05:40PM

nshapiro
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
nshapiro

Sorry, but Sarah Alexander is the cutest thing to come out of the UK since Felicity Kendal (from The Good Life (US title Good Neighbors), another must watch show), of whom it was said "Half the men in Britain admit they are in love with her, and the other half just won't admit it"

You can have Sarah Alexander, but I agree on Felicity Kendal.

But if we're talking old time British TV, I suggest Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith on Dr. Who) is better than all of them combined.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2020 11:39AM

Trotsky
RichH

I never watched Friends but my impression is it was just a stupid person's version of HIMYM. If so, then Friends wasn't anything like Coupling.

Coupling was similar to HIMYM in that they both played around a lot with nonlinear narrative formats. The similarities to Friends were only superficial.

Of course, the best comedy series to come out of the UK in the 21st century is The IT Crowd. (The IT Crowd, Coupling, and Red Dwarf all had short-lived awful US remakes.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 29, 2020 11:45AM

jtwcornell91
The IT Crowd, Coupling, and Red Dwarf
We would appear to be the same person.

If you're going to mention Red Dwarf, which was 80s-90s, then you are contractually obligated to mention Blackadder, which is better than all of them, and AbFab which is timeless.

Posted by: schoaff (---.nat.sas.com)
Date: January 29, 2020 01:01PM

My freshman year roommate from back in '86 and I took my 11 year old son to his first Lynah games this weekend, our first time back in about 25 years. Had a lot of fun showing him the campus and telling him stories about all of our shenanigans as students. He got a kick out of them playing contemporary music and video game themes on the chimes. We ended up eating at a Korean place in Ctown that did table BBQ and Moosewood. Thought both places were great. Had no problem parking in the lot next to Cascadilla and walking to the games.

My son and I have been to a couple hundred live sporting events together, college and professional, including Fenway Park and Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium. I know it's old hat to us and at times we can be jaded but he was astounded by the crowd at Lynah. He was a bit demure at first shaking his newspaper as Dartmouth was introduced, but by the end of the Harvard Game he was chanting along with Gary Glitter and standing on his seat shouting "Harvard Sucks." He got a kick out of the fact that Cam Donaldson lists his hometown as Pittsboro, NC which is about 5 miles from where we live. Anyway, well done faithful.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 01:25PM

schoaff
My freshman year roommate from back in '86 and I took my 11 year old son to his first Lynah games this weekend, our first time back in about 25 years. Had a lot of fun showing him the campus and telling him stories about all of our shenanigans as students. He got a kick out of them playing contemporary music and video game themes on the chimes. We ended up eating at a Korean place in Ctown that did table BBQ and Moosewood. Thought both places were great. Had no problem parking in the lot next to Cascadilla and walking to the games.

My son and I have been to a couple hundred live sporting events together, college and professional, including Fenway Park and Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium. I know it's old hat to us and at times we can be jaded but he was astounded by the crowd at Lynah. He was a bit demure at first shaking his newspaper as Dartmouth was introduced, but by the end of the Harvard Game he was chanting along with Gary Glitter and standing on his seat shouting "Harvard Sucks." He got a kick out of the fact that Cam Donaldson lists his hometown as Pittsboro, NC which is about 5 miles from where we live. Anyway, well done faithful.

this is how you do it, folks.

Date: January 29, 2020 01:32PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91

If you're going to mention Red Dwarf, which was 80s-90s, then you are contractually obligated to mention Blackadder, which is better than all of them, and AbFab which is timeless.

+1

I have a cunning plan...

Date: January 29, 2020 08:56PM

I just stumbled across this article about the top 9 student sections in college hockey. The list appears to be alphabetical, so Cornell is 3rd.
NCAA.com article

Not a lot of detail, but it has a link to the eLynah cheers section (which needs a bit of updating).

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 29, 2020 10:41PM

Anne 85
I just stumbled across this article about the top 9 student sections in college hockey. The list appears to be alphabetical, so Cornell is 3rd.
NCAA.com article

Not a lot of detail, but it has a link to the eLynah cheers section (which needs a bit of updating).

Any list here that includes Clarkson but not UVM, UMD’s Penalty Box, or (let’s be honest) Michigan’s Cornell Lite isn’t a good list. It was probably written by an Arizona State fan.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 11:22PM

RichH
Anne 85
NCAA.com article

Any list here that includes Clarkson but not UVM, UMD’s Penalty Box, or (let’s be honest) Michigan’s Cornell Lite isn’t a good list. It was probably written by an Arizona State fan.

You clearly haven't been to
UVM in a while. There was a time when I'd have put Gutterson on par with Lynah, but that was late 70s.

Poat expansion of the rink and now with so many years of losing, it in no way ought to be on a top list. Hopefully it can with a few years of actual team success again.

Date: January 30, 2020 12:24AM

I always loved the Gut but I never thought of their crowd as rocking. A small student section, a good band, and then a forest of silent townies.

NU, OTOH, not only has beautiful Matthews but also insane and hilarious fans. They're the only good Boston hockey crowd (I mean except for us at Lynah East).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 12:24AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 30, 2020 12:27AM

RichH
Michigan’s Cornell Lite
I haven't been impressed by Michigan's road crowds. They're loud but they're soooooooooooo boooooooooring. They're like Maine. At home maybe it's different.

OTOH I was impressed by Wisco and Minny's traveling fans for creativity and presence. At home it probably gets swallowed by those cavernous antiseptic airplane hangers.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 12:28AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: abmarks (64.9.251.---)
Date: January 30, 2020 01:56AM

Trotsky
I always loved the Gut but I never thought of their crowd as rocking. A small student section, a good band, and then a forest of silent townies.

NU, OTOH, not only has beautiful Matthews but also insane and hilarious fans. They're the only good Boston hockey crowd (I mean except for us at Lynah East).

At least through the late 80s, Gutterson would consistently be listed as one of the top few barns in terms of atmosphere.

Silent townies? In the mid seventies, it was common to have a few beer bottles and tennis balls chucked on the ice in protest over a refs call each game... from the townie section.

Between 72 and 85 I saw what I'd guess was north of 100 games there. After seeing my first games at lynah in 85, I said lynah was the tougher place to play, but not by a lot.

Date: January 30, 2020 02:52AM

Trotsky
For parking you can't beat the garage next to Schoelkopf. It takes a while to empty out but that's a fair trade for not worrying about the snow.

I second that, but be sure to back into the parking space, or you'll find yourself trying to back out into a line of cars coming down from the upper levels.

Date: January 30, 2020 08:49AM

Trotsky
Maybe Tinder (or whatever the Kids Today equivalent is) has killed partying. For all its other attractions partying was at the core how you hooked up. Now people can hook up directly, without the overhead. All of youth culture is driven by fucking. Technological changes in fucking are bound to have serious economic and social repercussions. c.f. the automobile.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Be an optimist. As an undergrad, you have to think that somewhere on campus there's a girl as lonely as me, and hopefully feeling just as frisky. But first take her to a nice place. Like the Palms.

Date: January 30, 2020 08:55AM

billhoward
Trotsky
Maybe Tinder (or whatever the Kids Today equivalent is) has killed partying. For all its other attractions partying was at the core how you hooked up. Now people can hook up directly, without the overhead. All of youth culture is driven by fucking. Technological changes in fucking are bound to have serious economic and social repercussions. c.f. the automobile.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Be an optimist. As an undergrad, you have to think that somewhere on campus there's a girl as lonely as me, and hopefully feeling just as frisky. But first take her to a nice place. Like the Palms.

Well done, Bill. Good set-up. Great punch line.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 30, 2020 02:05PM

schoaff
We ended up eating at a Korean place in Ctown that did table BBQ...

Four Seasons, which was one of my favorite spots in Ithaca. They've been around at least 10 years at this point and have seemingly avoided the turnover that has happened elsewhere in Collegetown

Date: January 30, 2020 05:44PM

billhoward
Trotsky
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I most certainly do not.

Date: January 31, 2020 04:02AM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91

Blackadder is fantastic, but I'd also add The Young Ones to that list if we're delving into the 80s.

Date: January 31, 2020 09:09AM

jtwcornell91
The Young Ones
I've never heard of this; I will check it out.And now we're about back to Fawlty Towers.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 31, 2020 11:47AM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
jtwcornell91

Blackadder is fantastic, but I'd also add The Young Ones to that list if we're delving into the 80s.
i loved the young ones when i was young and stupid but there is no way that show holds up. the jokes were ~90% calling each other gay.

Date: January 31, 2020 01:06PM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
Trotsky
jtwcornell91

i loved the young ones when i was young and stupid but there is no way that show holds up. the jokes were ~90% calling each other gay.
To be fair, that and awkward interracial pauses is all humor from the 80s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login