Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

3 straight weekends

Posted by upprdeck 
3 straight weekends
Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 14, 2020 10:58AM

that Cornell has issues on the 2nd night.

Lost to Dartmouth
tied Prov,
tied union

and its coming off games we dominated the night before
strange also because we probably are the deeper team.

one thing all away from home

the first few weeks we dominated the 2nd night 6-2, 6-2, 6-1, 5-1
now 1-2, 2-2, 3-3

Harvard in 2 weeks we would hope get a good effort and dartmouth is a revenge game the night before

the back to back vs colgate is the one that may be an issue

Re: 3 straight weekends
Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 14, 2020 02:35PM

upprdeck
that Cornell has issues on the 2nd night.

Lost to Dartmouth
tied Prov,
tied union

and its coming off games we dominated the night before
strange also because we probably are the deeper team.

one thing all away from home

the first few weeks we dominated the 2nd night 6-2, 6-2, 6-1, 5-1
now 1-2, 2-2, 3-3

Harvard in 2 weeks we would hope get a good effort and dartmouth is a revenge game the night before

the back to back vs colgate is the one that may be an issue
I'd worry more if we hadn't outplayed Dartmouth in a loss and, from the looks of the boxscore (I haven't gotten to watch yet) it looks like we outplayed Union too. Providence is a good team and - aside from a couple of bursts of speed - we played them to a draw on the ice and the scoreboard. I think it's a blip but ... you've got my attention anyway.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 14, 2020 03:49PM

I suspect it's easier to motivate a team with a mediocre ranking to focus on a second weekend game after winning the first than it is to motivate a top-ranked team to focus on a second weekend game after winning the first - especially if the first (victory) game was against a high ranked opponent.

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: January 14, 2020 03:56PM

osorojo
I suspect it's easier to motivate a team with a mediocre ranking to focus on a second weekend game after winning the first than it is to motivate a top-ranked team to focus on a second weekend game after winning the first - especially if the first (victory) game was against a high ranked opponent.
I call BS there. A highly successful team will treat each weekend as a tournament. Win both games and you move on. That's the rule in the post-season and expectations in the clubhouse for anything less would be a warning sign IMO.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 14, 2020 04:17PM

I just point out its a trend.. you can dominate all you want but it just shows that hockey is tough to win if you dont score..

We need to get back to shooting on net and not trying to be so pretty. when you are dominating its really the time to get the puck on goal and put them home.

good news is we have been dominating alot easier to build off playing well

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 14, 2020 05:04PM

upprdeck
I just point out its a trend.. you can dominate all you want but it just shows that hockey is tough to win if you dont score..

We need to get back to shooting on net and not trying to be so pretty. when you are dominating its really the time to get the puck on goal and put them home.

good news is we have been dominating alot easier to build off playing well

I don't know that 3 points make a significant trend, but time will tell.

As far as getting back to shooting, well we have been.

Out shot Union 31-19, PC 26-25,and Dartmouth 40-17.

Sometimes the puck just won't go in, even against marginal teams.

Not to say we can't improve, but the team and coaches have already acknowledged that.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 05:40PM

We outplayed Union a good part of the game, but Union's keeper stopped us several times, and Union played well enough to win had they had the puck luck.

Schafer said the two goals we gave up on the penalty kill were due to technical lapses. If the 2nd-night theory holds any water, it would seem to be about losing focus and concentration, perhaps with a bit of emotional letdown & fatigue mixed in.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 14, 2020 06:23PM

if the PK was at its usual level some of this discussion goes away. and for a team with a solid PP stat we have had some stretches of emptyness

Prov game turned on a 5 min major. PP 1-5 while we were 0-2

Union scored 2 and PP was 2-3 and we were 0-2

Dartmouth PP was 1-1 while we were 0-5

3 results 4-9 and we are 0-9 we carried play but you have to win those special teams games as well

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 10:33PM

This has been Small Sample Size Theatre.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2020 11:44PM

Jim Hyla

I don't know that 3 points make a significant trend,

Hell, Jim, our QA people at Albany Miracle Center can see a trend in only TWO data points. I pissed them off once when I wore a shirt to a meeting that said "Quality Assurance Is Neither."

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 01:05AM

Dartmouth away is a recurring problem. Does the bus take them from Cambridge to Hanover on Friday night or do they wait until Saturday morning?

In Las Vegas, the Ohio State game didn't end until after 11 PM. By the time the players got back to their hotel, ate, went to sleep, what time was it? Maybe 1:30 AM? Then they played the early game as the away team the next night. That's worth a goal right there.

For the Union game, well, they didn't win it and they didn't lose it. They are not perfect.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 01:35AM by ice.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 11:16AM

TimV
Jim Hyla

Hell, Jim, our QA people at Albany Miracle Center can see a trend in only TWO data points. I pissed them off once when I wore a shirt to a meeting that said "Quality Assurance Is Neither."
Every QA person I've ever met would have loved that shirt. They are cynical and world-weary people who eat engineers for breakfast and still have room left for management desert. God bless them.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2020 11:42AM

Trotsky
TimV
Jim Hyla

Every QA person I've ever met would have loved that shirt. They are cynical and world-weary people who eat engineers for breakfast and still have room left for management desert. God bless them.

As opposed to a wild-eyed idealist like yourself? :-P

Date: January 15, 2020 02:44PM

TimV
Jim Hyla

+1

Date: January 15, 2020 02:46PM

Trotsky
TimV
Jim Hyla

This has been Small Sample Size Theatre.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 09:25AM

So just curious... small sample size and all.... what is their record when having to fight off one or more major penalties?

Date: January 18, 2020 10:47AM

well we know 2 ties.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 19, 2020 03:25PM

And now...we tie on Friday and win on Saturday. Welcome to Bizzarro Weekend!

Date: January 19, 2020 09:46PM

the 2nd half of game 2 shows what they can do when the bare down and play a complete game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (74.119.160.---)
Date: January 20, 2020 12:01AM

upprdeck
the 2nd half of game 2 shows what they can do when they bare down and play a complete game.
More entertaining for the fans, too.

Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.213.---)
Date: January 20, 2020 10:00AM

Al DeFlorio
upprdeck
the 2nd half of game 2 shows what they can do when they bare down and play a complete game.
More entertaining for the fans, too.

Y'know, there was an article in the Journal a few days ago about the "streaking" men's hockey team. I thought they were referring to their record.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login