Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Pairwise tweak idea

Posted by KenP 
Pairwise tweak idea
Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 08:10AM

I will preface this post by saying I fully endorse KRACH as a better system.

Right now the PWR system is so heavy weighted on adjusted-RPI. Therefore the goal of considering CoP and H2H comparisons is to “overcome” that bias. Here’s the concern. For example what if Dartmouth wins the second game against us in a few weeks? The PWR will be tied 2-2 and the stronger RPI team still wins. In fact a “much weaker” team has to win H2H by a margin of 3+ to flip the comparison... which is almost insurmountable.

(Yes my example favors our favorite team this year. Think past this season.)

My proposed solution is simple: count each H2H as 1.5 comparisons. Could be just enough to make the PWR game more interesting at end of the year. Thoughts?

Re: Pairwise tweak idea
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 10:27PM

KenP
I will preface this post by saying I fully endorse KRACH as a better system.

Right now the PWR system is so heavy weighted on adjusted-RPI. Therefore the goal of considering CoP and H2H comparisons is to “overcome” that bias. Here’s the concern. For example what if Dartmouth wins the second game against us in a few weeks? The PWR will be tied 2-2 and the stronger RPI team still wins. In fact a “much weaker” team has to win H2H by a margin of 3+ to flip the comparison... which is almost insurmountable.

(Yes my example favors our favorite team this year. Think past this season.)

My proposed solution is simple: count each H2H as 1.5 comparisons. Could be just enough to make the PWR game more interesting at end of the year. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that your analysis is flawed. You forget the records against common opponents. Using the CU/Dar PWR data as of today, We get 1 point for being ahead on RPI and 1 for having the better common opponent record. Dartmouth has 1 point for a H2H win and would get a second for the second win.

The weaker RPI team in your example could flip the comparison if they had a better record against common opponents. It doesnt require more H2H wins than are possible.

Posted by: KenP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2020 04:27PM

I’m thinking of this specific type of situation with Cornell-Dartmouth. David beats Goliath twice. RPI & CoP will both go to Goliath. Goliath wins comparison.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-145.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2020 04:31PM

I'd ditch the pairwise entirely. It's pretty much just RPI right now. Why not just use RPI?

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 12, 2020 04:51PM

Dafatone
I'd ditch the pairwise entirely. It's pretty much just RPI right now. Why not just use RPI?

Because it’s inferior to KRACH. If the idea on the table is “just use a calculated ratings system,” then just use KRACH. We’re already living with a RPI-dominated ranking.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-145.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2020 04:56PM

RichH
Dafatone

Because it’s inferior to KRACH. If the idea on the table is “just use a calculated ratings system,” then just use KRACH. We’re already living with a RPI-dominated ranking.

I can get behind just using KRACH. I think KRACH is better than RPI, but as the ECAC tends to be worse than other major conferences, RPI usually makes us look better than KRACH.

But in either case, why mess with all the other stuff in the pairwise when we can just use the computer ranking?

Posted by: KenP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2020 08:37AM

Again, let's preface the discussion that PWR is going to stay. We have a system that is very similar to RPI. By definition the other comparisons exist to address "intangibles" which may not show up in RPI alone.

Common Opponents - the net result of this comparison is to adjust for non-conference play. We beat Michigan State therefore we have a let up against the rest of the Big 10. Within a conference the CoP will almost always go to the stronger team (it aligns with RPI)

Head-to-Head - can help adjust pairwise, especially for non-conference play.

The point of my thread is that a top 10 team who loses multiple games to a bottom dweller team in their conference is going to will still win the pairwise comparison:
Comp -- Strong Team -- Weak Team
RPI -- 1 -- 0 (Reflects the stronger team)
CoP -- 1 -- 0 (Aligns with RPI)
H2H -- 0 -- 2
Strong team wins 2-2 on basis of higher RPI.

If the H2H is 2+ in favor of the weaker team IMO that should be enough to flip a comparison. In the current system it is not. Hence my proposed tweak.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2020 11:42AM

The problem with giving more weight to head-to-head or even common opponents is that they focus on just a few games rather than a team's performance over the entire season. It's good that it's difficult for the anecdotes to overwhelm the rest of the data.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 11:54AM

jtwcornell91
The problem with giving more weight to head-to-head or even common opponents is that they focus on just a few games rather than a team's performance over the entire season. It's good that it's difficult for the anecdotes to overwhelm the rest of the data.
But what about THE EYE TEST???!!!

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: January 29, 2020 02:25PM

jtwcornell91

I agree with this, but I think the reason this comes up every now and again is because there are two different ways of thinking about the Pairwise. Since it's based on pair-wise comparisons featuring a handful of fairly arbitrary comparison criteria, it means you can think of each individual comparison as a mechanism for answering the following two questions:

1) Which team is the better overall team?
2) Which team is more likely to win if they play each other in the tournament?

If you focus on question 1, you would rather not have head to head or common opponents be over-weighted. In fact, a purist would just get rid of them, because they're effectively over-weighting the value of a specific subset of games in ways that can subvert the global ranking.

If you focus on question 2, you'd want to boost the weighting of head to head (and maybe common opponents), because this theoretically tells you more about the matchup between those two specific teams.

I honestly don't know what the ranking committee is trying to do with the pairwise, or even if they follow the pairwise process as it's laid out on CHN/USCHO, but given that it all seems to resolve to RPI and that other factors (L10 or L16 or whatever it was) have been eliminated I don't think we're going to see movement towards weighting H2H more strongly. For the specific application of NCAA tournament selection I think this is a good thing.

Posted by: KenP (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 05:28PM

Tom Lento
jtwcornell91

I agree with this, but I think the reason this comes up every now and again is because there are two different ways of thinking about the Pairwise. Since it's based on pair-wise comparisons featuring a handful of fairly arbitrary comparison criteria, it means you can think of each individual comparison as a mechanism for answering the following two questions:

1) Which team is the better overall team?
2) Which team is more likely to win if they play each other in the tournament?

If you focus on question 1, you would rather not have head to head or common opponents be over-weighted. In fact, a purist would just get rid of them, because they're effectively over-weighting the value of a specific subset of games in ways that can subvert the global ranking.

If you focus on question 2, you'd want to boost the weighting of head to head (and maybe common opponents), because this theoretically tells you more about the matchup between those two specific teams.

I honestly don't know what the ranking committee is trying to do with the pairwise, or even if they follow the pairwise process as it's laid out on CHN/USCHO, but given that it all seems to resolve to RPI and that other factors (L10 or L16 or whatever it was) have been eliminated I don't think we're going to see movement towards weighting H2H more strongly. For the specific application of NCAA tournament selection I think this is a good thing.
My philosophy is that a pairwise comparison is supposed to compare teams against one another. And if Team A outplays Team B 2-0 (or wins 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 etc.) IMO Team A deserves to win that individual comparison. (Regardless of RPI or CoP)

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 12:46AM

Tom Lento
I honestly don't know what the ranking committee is trying to do with the pairwise, or even if they follow the pairwise process as it's laid out on CHN/USCHO,

they do

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login