Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Las Vegas Roll Call

Posted by Beeeej 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Las Vegas Roll Call
Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.117.---)
Date: January 08, 2020 04:47PM

adamw
It was disconcerting to see fewer Cornell fans at the championship game than the first round. The only explanation was that people missed the memo on the start time. Which is horrible.
One possible explanation for this is the fact that there was a pre-game alumni function before the first game, but not before the second game. I'm speculating that many of the fans who attended that the first night weren't planning on coming back the next night regardless of whether we were in the championship game or not.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 09:02PM

adamw
Trotsky
Everything good about Vegas is > 10 miles from the strip. It's a fantastic city if you get away from the tourist areas. Like any other city.

So you're saying you like people-less desert

I like people-less desert. I spent Friday AM birding at the Desert National Wildlife Refuge and Saturday AM at Valley of Fire State Park. The birding wasn't fantastic, since it's winter, but the scenery was pretty damn amazing.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2020 11:29PM

French Rage

Negatives:
- Could have done without the long breaks in play. Were those for commercials?

Without the long breaks the number of times FloHockey viewers got to see the Roman commercials may not have made it into triple digits.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2020 08:10AM

French Rage
RichH
But I had a good time, because I know my comfort areas, and can get away from the overstimulating noise. It also carries some nostalgia for me. On top of that, it was a well run tournament overall. Ushers were friendly and left us to sit where we pleased. They provided bands, which shows they kind of “get” what the college game is about. You really don’t need a damn car to get there. It wasn’t perfect. Endless Jock Jams, an unexplained early championship game that left even the arena staff confused, and yeah, shootouts are lame. But it was a good show. The FF is coming.

This.

I enjoyed the tournament, it was a positive, and I would do it again. Now, maybe part of that is I live in CA and so I'm up for any game(s) that close to me. Yes Las Vegas is crass and over-the-top, but if done sparingly the ridiculousness of it is actually a positive in a campy way. My wife and I didn't do any gambling because we have no interest in it, but it's still fun to people watch others going about it. Yes it's designed to separate you from your money, but if you're a halfway reasonable adult you know how to avoid that; heck we each made $20 reviewing a TV show!

Positives:
- As mentioned above, close to where I live and fun to walk around for a couple days.
- Overall running of the tournament. Decent arena, easy to get in and out of, good restaurants nearby.
- The HS bands.

Negatives:
- Could have done without the long breaks in play. Were those for commercials? It hurt the flow a little and gave us little opportunity for remote-control goalie.
- As others have mentioned, the OT format. But in the end, it was a tie and they needed an excuse to give out a trophy.
- Also as others mentioned, making the championship game the early one.

Overall the first positive outweighs all of the negatives by a mile.

Now, if they did it 10 straight years it might start to get old. But for now I'd do it again.

Another positive: They proved that a hockey game could still be played without that silly practice of running "snow-shovelers" out there every few minutes....UGH!!

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 09, 2020 08:19AM

every game pretty much has to have those TV timeouts with the new contracts..

and the snow shovelers are required too. the NHL requires them now. surprised that the vegas game didnt.

Date: January 09, 2020 09:18AM

upprdeck
every game pretty much has to have those TV timeouts with the new contracts..

and the snow shovelers are required too. the NHL requires them now. surprised that the vegas game didnt.

They have them in the AHL, too. Something to do during the TV timeouts besides "make some noise."

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 09, 2020 09:47AM

I like the way they did it at the Canadiens game with 9 guys like a flying wedge scrapping the whole ice surface at high speed. of course they also use 2 zambonies and give rides on them at Pro games which is a nice touch.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2020 01:47PM

adamw
Trotsky
Everything good about Vegas is > 10 miles from the strip. It's a fantastic city if you get away from the tourist areas. Like any other city.

Well. Um.

Yeah.

Have you met people?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2020 01:50PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
adamw
Trotsky

I like people-less desert. I spent Friday AM birding at the Desert National Wildlife Refuge and Saturday AM at Valley of Fire State Park. The birding wasn't fantastic, since it's winter, but the scenery was pretty damn amazing.

I have been to both of those are they are wonderful.

If you go again I recommend driving west of the city out beyond Red Rock Canyon to the edge of the caldera. It is beautiful. High desert is lovely in the winter, and also in the early spring when the wildflowers bloom for about 20 seconds.

Generally speaking the West : the East :: fresh water : an open sewer.

Posted by: RichH (---.lightspeed.renonv.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2020 04:15PM

Trotsky
adamw
Trotsky

Well. Um.

Yeah.

Have you met people?

Not to overlook the joke, but have you met Trotsky?

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2020 04:47PM

upprdeck
I like the way they did it at the Canadiens game with 9 guys like a flying wedge scrapping the whole ice surface at high speed. of course they also use 2 zambonies and give rides on them at Pro games which is a nice touch.

I remember that but don't recall if the 9 guys were on skates or not. But to do that you need 9 people who can skate or at least walk on ice -- skills likely in short supply in Las Vegas.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2020 06:09PM

RichH
Trotsky
adamw
Trotsky

Well. Um.

Yeah.

Have you met people?

Not to overlook the joke, but have you met Trotsky?
My point exactly.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: January 09, 2020 07:36PM

Swampy
upprdeck

I remember that but don't recall if the 9 guys were on skates or not. But to do that you need 9 people who can skate or at least walk on ice -- skills likely in short supply in Las Vegas.

The Capitals use 3 zambonis between periods, which seems excessive.

I was at a major junior game last month and they had, I think, 4 people for the scrape. The most annoying thing was that they used the zamboni to do 3/4 of the ice between OT and the shootout. I think the NHL has done away with any resurfacing between OT and the shootout. I don't really get the NCAA practice of scraping just the ice at the bench.

Date: January 09, 2020 08:18PM

Weder
Swampy
upprdeck

I was at a major junior game last month and they had, I think, 4 people for the scrape. The most annoying thing was that they used the zamboni to do 3/4 of the ice between OT and the shootout. I think the NHL has done away with any resurfacing between OT and the shootout. I don't really get the NCAA practice of scraping just the ice at the bench.

The Golden Knights had about 9 shovelers including several women in leotards. The men were sleveless and they all wore capes. They skated down the ice in a flying V then some of them skated back to the other end. Of course, the PA announced them at an unreasonable volume.

At the Phantoms games, there are a handful of people. They don't skate.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2020 09:19PM

Weder

The Memorial Cup I went to in Spokane did this but they were not familiar with doing it that way and they narrowly avoided collisions a couple times. I've still never seen it done correctly.

Posted by: marty (170.254.16.---)
Date: January 09, 2020 10:25PM

Weder
Swampy
upprdeck

I don't really get the NCAA practice of scraping just the ice at the bench.

I assumed it gets especially messy there when the teams jump on and off the ice. At most rinks I think the goal area also gets the shovel.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 08:10AM

marty
Weder
Swampy
upprdeck

I don't really get the NCAA practice of scraping just the ice at the bench.

I assumed it gets especially messy there when the teams jump on and off the ice. At most rinks I think the goal area also gets the shovel.

I guess I just don’t think of the bench area as somewhere the puck might get slowed up by shavings.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 09:37AM

adamw
It was disconcerting to see fewer Cornell fans at the championship game than the first round. The only explanation was that people missed the memo on the start time. Which is horrible.

I agree with everything, pro and con, said above at Vegas. This is relevant because there will be a FF there in the coming years. It's all but a done deal. It's completely crass and ridiculous, and a waste of resources. But in 3-day doses, I just take it for what it is and have a hoot with it. I don't gamble or drink much, so I don't get carried away. Just stick to what I find fun, and enjoy the energy of the surroundings. I can't imagine living there - but it's becoming a place more people are moving to, so ... that is changing the dynamic too.
Las Vegas is Disney World for Adults. In April the average high is 80. Rent a car for the day and go out into the desert. Red Rock Canyon is spectacular at sunrise when the color palette is more muted. CES just ended drew 175,000, so a hockey tournament won't draw enough to drive the room rates or airfare way high.

LV also has a growing middle class and upper middle class unrelated to the hospitality industry. Property Brothers show on HGTV is spending much of this season in Las Vegas.

Date: January 10, 2020 09:45AM

ugarte
marty

Hooker count? - Cheerleaders in the rink excepted.
jesus christ, dude.
The cheerleaders looked like high school or college girls. Some were a bit, ah, zoftig.

It made me happy to see a couple of the cheerleaders with an elementary school girl next to her, sharing one of the pom-pons, and trying to help the girl through the steps. What made me happy was not having daughters.

Date: January 10, 2020 09:54AM

dbilmes
adamw
One possible explanation for this is the fact that there was a pre-game alumni function before the first game, but not before the second game. I'm speculating that many of the fans who attended that the first night weren't planning on coming back the next night regardless of whether we were in the championship game or not.
I ran into and chatted with a couple who drove over from California for the weekend, had been little involved in alumni events, and thought what-the-heck-why-not. So it's good Cornell - sports and alumni affairs - is trying different things and places. Cornell U is holding CALC, its annual rah-rah weekend for alumni leaders next month in Vegas, and I worry that may not be all that well attended. But after more than a decade, Cornell is still trying to figure out what they want the weekend to be. And there only so many times you can put up with the same breakout session, The Five Cycles of Reunion Planning.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2020 12:12AM

Well I have first hand knowledge that this year's CALC is going to be totally different. How do I know you might ask ? My wife & her colleagues have been planning the damn thing for over a year now.

Posted by: marty (170.254.16.---)
Date: January 11, 2020 05:33AM

billhoward
ugarte
marty

jesus christ, dude.
The cheerleaders looked like high school or college girls. Some were a bit, ah, zoftig.

As Warner used to say,
"Let's go to the video".

Date: January 11, 2020 03:10PM

marty
billhoward
ugarte
marty

jesus christ, dude.

As Warner used to say,
"Let's go to the video".

I agree with Bill. Zoftig is a good description.

Date: January 11, 2020 10:11PM

Good luck. Cornell has been trying a lot of things for CALC. When you've been involved in a half-dozen sets of reunions and been to 10 CALCs, you (I) may not be the main demographic. Cornell wants to get something out of its investment in time and people and / but alumni want to learn a little more about what's going on on campus, or hear from a couple interesting profs.

The Westin LV (CALC HQ) is a nice hotel even if it's not on the Strip (Las Vegas Blvd). If I was a drinking alum under 35, I'd really like being on the Strip. Open container laws apply. For pedestrians.

Interesting cop stuff if you like geeky things: Every major signalized intersection (traffic light) in LV and Clark County reports back to the the public safety HQ, has cams, AND can give passenger cars a countdown to the red light so you can slow down early and save gas. It can also give a countdown to green so the driver can get ready, but the countdown stops at 3. On account of idiot drivers (I know, a redundancy) tended to be on the gas the instant the signal went green with predictable T-bone accidents. The signaling system is so good it's drawing a lot of autonomous and semi-autonomous car testing. I talked with a couple LV cops working the hockey games. Man, are they big. But then drunks come in all sizes.

Date: January 11, 2020 11:39PM

marty
billhoward
ugarte
marty
jesus christ, dude.
As Warner used to say, "Let's go to the video".
My pleasure. Some not all the cheerleaders were zoftig. Ditto for the fans.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 08:51AM by billhoward.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2020 02:56AM

billhoward
Some not all the cheerleaders were zoftig. Ditto for the fans.

Hey, I paid for that buffet at the MGM Grand, I'm getting my money's worth in shrimp.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login