Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Replacing ELF Chat for game nights

Posted by pfibiger 
Replacing ELF Chat for game nights
Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 03, 2019 01:11PM

All,

I chatted with Age and it looks like it won't be straightforward to bring chat back. It seems like the easiest path is to replace it with an existing chat app, and Slack seems like a straightforward candidate. You can use it on your phone or on the web. You can choose if you want notifications and for what. We can segment channels into 'game chat' and 'out of town scores' etc.

Here's the link to register:

[join.slack.com]

Once you've registered, you can just go to [elynah.slack.com]. You'll see the list of channels down the lefthand pane. You can send direct/private messages just like on elynah or the old chat. You can use emojis (and upload custom ones) and post images. I set up a channel, fed by CHN's scoreboard feed, to post score updates.

Stop being grumpy about this, Greg. You'll grow to not hate this change. We believe in you!

- Phil

Re: Replacing ELF Chat for game nights
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2019 01:26PM

pfibiger
Stop being grumpy about this, Greg. You'll grow to not hate this change...

You've met Greg, right? **]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 01:28PM

pfibiger
All,

I chatted with Age and it looks like it won't be straightforward to bring chat back. It seems like the easiest path is to replace it with an existing chat app, and Slack seems like a straightforward candidate. You can use it on your phone or on the web. You can choose if you want notifications and for what. We can segment channels into 'game chat' and 'out of town scores' etc.

[join.slack.com]

Once you've registered, you can just go to [elynah.slack.com]. You'll see the list of channels down the lefthand pane. You can send direct/private messages just like on elynah or the old chat. You can use emojis (and upload custom ones) and post images. I set up a channel, fed by CHN's scoreboard feed, to post score updates.

Stop being grumpy about this, Greg. You'll grow to not hate this change. We believe in you!

- Phil

Thanks for setting it up! I don't know how to Slack, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it says you need to contact the workspace administrator to get added to the workspace and there is no apparent way to do this.

I think the gated community model is preferable, honestly, but what process works for you for getting people into the group?

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 03, 2019 02:17PM

Slack claims that the link will allow you in w/o any approval step:

[join.slack.com]

If that doesn't work, people can DM me their preferred email addresses and I can send them an email invite.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 02:27PM

pfibiger
All,

[join.slack.com]

- Phil

As long as I can continue to wear an onion in my belt.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2019 04:27PM

I was able to log-on without a problem. Thanks for setting this up.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: December 03, 2019 04:30PM

pfibiger
Slack claims that the link will allow you in w/o any approval step:

[join.slack.com]

If that doesn't work, people can DM me their preferred email addresses and I can send them an email invite.

Ah! Sorry, didn't realize the "join" link was the invite to the workspace, thought it was an invite to slack and never clicked it since I have an account already.

Looks like Slack lets you make different sub-accounts per workspace, but they can all be linked to one email identity. Interesting model. Works for me!

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2019 12:11AM

Now if I can just remember to tweet the link tomorrow night...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2019 01:12AM

I think it's going to work. I was able to set it up ergo anyone can.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: December 06, 2019 08:05PM

Never mind. I am in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 08:28PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-220-2.myvzw.com)
Date: December 06, 2019 08:23PM

Roy 82
I give up.

I can sign into my workspace and see a list of my workspace options. I can't access elynah directly form the link above nor indirectly form my workspace.

I seem to be going in circles myself. Oh well.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: December 06, 2019 08:29PM

JasonN95
Roy 82
I give up.

I can sign into my workspace and see a list of my workspace options. I can't access elynah directly form the link above nor indirectly form my workspace.

I seem to be going in circles myself. Oh well.

The trick was that the join.slack.com link in the message above was specifically for the elynah channel. You need to click on that first.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-220-2.myvzw.com)
Date: December 06, 2019 08:34PM

So I have remove the Slack app and start fresh? UPDATE: Probably inefficient, but deleting the app and starting over using the link in the first message here got me in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 02:54PM by JasonN95.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login