Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2019-11-23: Cornell 5 Princeton 1

Posted by Trotsky 
2019-11-23: Cornell 5 Princeton 1
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2019 06:53PM

Last game at Lynah until 2020, in case somebody wants to get rid of the scoreboard...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 09:35PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2019-11-23: Cornell vs Princeton
Date: November 23, 2019 07:37PM

Tigers outplayed us in the first.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-1.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2019 08:25PM

Trotsky

But not the second. Lol

Date: November 23, 2019 08:31PM

Cornell scores 4 times on 9 SOG in the second. 4-0 going to the third.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 23, 2019 08:35PM

really no reason to be ahead in this game. but sloppy play has been there all season we just hid it with puck control.. today no puck control but goals.

Re: 2019-11-23: Cornell 5 Princeton 1
Date: November 23, 2019 09:36PM

Solid last 2 periods. Good win. On to MSG.

Re: 2019-11-23: Cornell 5 Princeton 1
Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2019 11:06PM

Not very nice of Princeton to commit all those penalties at the end just to tank our PP%....

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 12:49PM

CU2007
Trotsky

But not the second. Lol

Honestly, Cornell only outplayed Princeton after jumping out to that 3-0 lead. From what I saw on the video Princeton basically made two mistakes and both of them ended up in the back of the net. After that the wheels came off the bus for them, and the last half of the third was basically a dumpster fire. I’m glad Cornell avoided injuries and dumb penalties - the latter is a good sign, because I think some of the mid-2010s teams would’ve seen a DQ or at least something dumb and unnecessary at some point.

I thought Cornell looked faster, stronger, and more talented than Quinnipiac on Friday, but they were incredibly sloppy with the puck.

On Saturday Cornell looked a step slower for the first half of the game, and they were not merely sloppy with the puck but also disorganized.

I can’t believe I’m saying this after a 5-1 win, but I think Cornell was lucky to take 2 points last night.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-145.myvzw.com)
Date: November 24, 2019 01:09PM

Tom Lento
CU2007
Trotsky

But not the second. Lol

Honestly, Cornell only outplayed Princeton after jumping out to that 3-0 lead. From what I saw on the video Princeton basically made two mistakes and both of them ended up in the back of the net. After that the wheels came off the bus for them, and the last half of the third was basically a dumpster fire. I’m glad Cornell avoided injuries and dumb penalties - the latter is a good sign, because I think some of the mid-2010s teams would’ve seen a DQ or at least something dumb and unnecessary at some point.

I thought Cornell looked faster, stronger, and more talented than Quinnipiac on Friday, but they were incredibly sloppy with the puck.

On Saturday Cornell looked a step slower for the first half of the game, and they were not merely sloppy with the puck but also disorganized.

I can’t believe I’m saying this after a 5-1 win, but I think Cornell was lucky to take 2 points last night.

I know what you mean, but one advantage of our goaltending and offensive talent is that we put up more goals than we surrender even when we're not outplaying the other team.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 24, 2019 02:07PM

we lost a lot of games over the years where we shut teams down and didnt score. even with less puck control we generated more good chances, but a 5-3 type game would probably been a more worthy result

Posted by: Swampy (23.82.10.---)
Date: November 24, 2019 02:08PM

Dafatone
Tom Lento
CU2007
Trotsky

But not the second. Lol

I know what you mean, but one advantage of our goaltending and offensive talent is that we put up more goals than we surrender even when we're not outplaying the other team.

But, going forward, we will be playing teams against which we won't get away with sloppiness. Have to clean up such bad habits, and soon.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 24, 2019 02:38PM

Swampy
Dafatone
Tom Lento
CU2007
Trotsky

But not the second. Lol

But, going forward, we will be playing teams against which we won't get away with sloppiness. Have to clean up such bad habits, and soon.

Like Clarkson and MSU?

Yes it's frustrating to see them play less than they're capable of, but they do find a way to win. It's very encouraging to see them be able to win in many different ways. They've been able to come out strong and put the game away early, come back from a deficit, win by strong offense, or strong defense, including goaltending. Maybe they haven't been able to put it all together in one game, but this is certainly making me smile and it's early in the season.

Most importantly to me is that every time I hear players or coaches talk, they always mention the problems and that it's something that they work on in practice.

It seems this team is really team oriented any very much willing to learn from the coaches and work hard in practice. That gives my real encouragement and happiness. Much better than a few years ago when it seemed that it was all about "I". No benching of star players in this group.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 03:25PM

Jim Hyla
Swampy
Dafatone

Like Clarkson and MSU?

Yes it's frustrating to see them play less than they're capable of, but they do find a way to win. It's very encouraging to see them be able to win in many different ways. They've been able to come out strong and put the game away early, come back from a deficit, win by strong offense, or strong defense, including goaltending. Maybe they haven't been able to put it all together in one game, but this is certainly making me smile and it's early in the season.

Most importantly to me is that every time I hear players or coaches talk, they always mention the problems and that it's something that they work on in practice.

It seems this team is really team oriented any very much willing to learn from the coaches and work hard in practice. That gives my real encouragement and happiness. Much better than a few years ago when it seemed that it was all about "I". No benching of star players in this group.

I’m not convinced that MSU was good enough to take advantage of sloppy play given the possession advantage Cornell had in game 2, at least, but that doesn’t take away from Jim’s larger point.

This team is remarkably well-balanced. They’re strong on defense and goaltending, even strength scoring, and special teams, and they can roll all four lines with confidence.

I don’t think I’ve seen this complete a combination in a Cornell team since 2003. Even the best teams from the 2010s have lacked something significant. The Nash/Greening teams and the 2018 squad came close but they didn’t have nearly this much depth on offense, and the power play hasn’t been this dangerous in a long long time.

Apart from maybe Clarkson I don’t think Cornell has been tested by a true top tier opponent yet, so we’ll know more after the holiday NC games are done, but the team looks very strong and weak schedule and lucky bounces or no they’ve earned the 8-0-0 start.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 06:56PM

you only get one best game a year. this wasn't it and the mistakes were covered by galadja. that's how a good team wins the not-the-best games.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 09:05PM

Tom Lento
Mark of a good team. You win the ones where you don't play well. As the winning-fans yell, "Scoreboard, scoreboard."

I'm annoyed Galajda gave up his own shutout allowing that seeing eye shot to sneak between the post and his gear. Doubly annoyed because it channels us back to 2003 and the impossible angle shot that got between the post and David LeNeveu. Or is that one of those plays that never happened? Can't believe he is 36 and running a wealth management firm in BC. Hard not to make money there if you can tap into all the Hong Kong money pouring in. Sorry, thread drift.

Cripe, we're 8 and 0. Let's enjoy it. Plus, I'd really like to shove it past BU two [edit add: Red Hot hockey] games in a row.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 11:58PM by billhoward.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2019 10:52PM

billhoward

Cripe, we're 8 and 0. Let's enjoy it. Plus, I'd really like to shove it past BU two games in a row.

Didn't we lose our last game against BU in three 2018 NCAA first round?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login