Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2019-11-22: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 1

Posted by Trotsky 
2019-11-22: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 1
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 06:23PM

Haiskanen back. IINM we are at full strength.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 10:10PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2019-11-22: Cornell vs Quinnipiac
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-220-13.myvzw.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 06:41PM

Trotsky
Haiskanen back. IINM we are at full strength.
Except no newspapers or Snickers. I stupidly forgot my bag, which also has my jersey.

On a better note, the band is going to MSG & Allston.

Date: November 22, 2019 07:01PM

Q has their nice road thread. Good font.

Date: November 22, 2019 07:05PM

Great first shift by Stienburg.

Date: November 22, 2019 07:12PM

Harvard 2 RPI 0 in the first 3 minutes in Troy.

Date: November 22, 2019 07:23PM

RPI has tied that game up 2-2.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 07:38PM

Not a stellar 1st period by any means, and Galajda had to save our bacon when we forgot there was a game going on. Malinski had a rough go on our only power play, fumbling the puck a few times.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-14.myvzw.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 07:44PM

Trotsky
RPI has tied that game up 2-2.

RPI let a late goal spoil the tie, but has looked good against a polished, fast pretty passing Sucks.

Donato's head is well polished too.

Date: November 22, 2019 08:35PM

2-1 Cornell through 2.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 09:29PM

good win. some difficulty corralling passes and q seemed to be very disruptive in the offensive and neutral zones. got away with some really bad turnovers but finished just enough chances. i'll take it.

Date: November 22, 2019 09:35PM

ugarte
good win. some difficulty corralling passes and q seemed to be very disruptive in the offensive and neutral zones. got away with some really bad turnovers but finished just enough chances. i'll take it.

Yeah, certainly our least impressively performance of the season, but as Topher was saying Q does a good job of getting in your grill and disrupting your attack in the neutral zone. But except for when we were shorthanded we did a good job limiting Q’s chances, and Galajda was really good when he had to be.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.mobility.exede.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 09:42PM

It was great to see that Galajda could deliver a blue chip performance when the team needed it. Not a lot of saves but some were stellar. Now let’s not have to see that again. :-)

Who would have thought the team would be 7-0 and Galajda would not have a shutout.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 09:44PM

Galajda was virtually perfect; he had no chance on the Q goal. Q goalie probably should have stopped Locke's goal. And that decided the game. Hard to argue that Q isn't one of the top 4 teams in the ECAC after how good they looked defensively tonight.

Date: November 22, 2019 09:46PM

JasonN95
It was great to see that Galajda could deliver a blue chip performance when the team needed it. Not a lot of saves but some were stellar. Now let’s not have to see that again. :-)

Who would have thought the team would be 7-0 and Galajda would not have a shutout.

Good point. But with our “new” style of play that features our defensemen being more active offensively, we do see more odd man opportunities against us, so shutouts would seemingly be less prevalent.

Date: November 22, 2019 09:48PM

BearLover
Galajda was virtually perfect; he had no chance on the Q goal. Q goalie probably should have stopped Locke's goal. And that decided the game. Hard to argue that Q isn't one of the top 4 teams in the ECAC after how good they looked defensively tonight.

That would seem to be the case. Brown, Dartmouth and even RPI seem best like the next best, but I’d be surprised if any of them are better than Q.

Date: November 22, 2019 10:10PM

It's nice to be toasty warm. Let's stay that way.

Re: 2019-11-22: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 1
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 22, 2019 10:26PM

the flurry in the first where we have it away 2-3 times in a row and a bit on the pp were about all the offense Quin created.. they really pressured on the forecheck at times and we threw those away a few times.. when they didnt forecheck they were in trouble was we were able to get around the D on rushes all night.

the late miss major really messed up the rest of the game instead of a 5 min PP we had a 4x4 that almost lead to a Quin goal and then Barron got to near the goalie who flopped well and that almost spoiled the game

i think that the story teams will have to use all year to really try to pressure our D to give up some soft goals because our transition passing is pretty good and when we cycle we will wear teams out with the 4 lines

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 11:19PM

upprdeck
the flurry in the first where we have it away 2-3 times in a row and a bit on the pp were about all the offense Quin created.. they really pressured on the forecheck at times and we threw those away a few times.. when they didnt forecheck they were in trouble was we were able to get around the D on rushes all night.

the late miss major really messed up the rest of the game instead of a 5 min PP we had a 4x4 that almost lead to a Quin goal and then Barron got to near the goalie who flopped well and that almost spoiled the game

i think that the story teams will have to use all year to really try to pressure our D to give up some soft goals because our transition passing is pretty good and when we cycle we will wear teams out with the 4 lines

Can someone come up with a justification for all penalties called as a result of video review being mandated as major penalties? This helped us tonight but screwed us in the 2018 NCAA game vs. BU where a video review resulted in a five minute major for INTERFERENCE!?!?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 11:20PM by marty.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 11:37PM

marty

Can someone come up with a justification for all penalties called as a result of video review being mandated as major penalties? This helped us tonight but screwed us in the 2018 NCAA game vs. BU where a video review resulted in a five minute major for INTERFERENCE!?!?

I thought that the rule was a review could be used to change a minor penalty into a major penalty, or a no-call into a minor penalty, but not a no-call into a major. Did that rule change, or was my understanding not correct?

Posted by: billhoward (---.reverse-dns)
Date: November 22, 2019 11:38PM

upprdeck
the story teams will have to use all year to really try to pressure our D to give up some soft goals
That is a prayer more than a strategy. It maybe works in a Hallmark movie where single hockey mom Lori Loughlin's kid and a golden retriever ["the rulebook doesn't say anything about dogs not playing"] save the day for the underdogs and win the heart of the just-widowed coach. (In a Hallmark movie, the coach is probably not female. That'd be a nice twist.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.reverse-dns)
Date: November 22, 2019 11:41PM

Announcers only clarified that a non-call could not be turned into a minor, but yes it could be for a major.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 11:48PM

scoop85
JasonN95

Good point. But with our “new” style of play that features our defensemen being more active offensively, we do see more odd man opportunities against us, so shutouts would seemingly be less prevalent.

if we had a PK, Galajda would probably have 3 shutouts by now....
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 11:51PM by Robb.

Date: November 22, 2019 11:51PM

billhoward
Announcers only clarified that a non-call could not be turned into a minor, but yes it could be for a major.

Which is bizarre and can result in a 5 minute major for interference which I am fairly certain is the only way interference would be called a major penalty.

And this make sense why?screwy

Date: November 23, 2019 12:37AM

andyw2100
marty

I thought that the rule was a review could be used to change a minor penalty into a major penalty, or a no-call into a minor penalty, but not a no-call into a major. Did that rule change, or was my understanding not correct?
i think the logic is that they go to review only to catch something BIG that they missed because they always miss a few calls a game just because you can't see 100% of the ice 100% of the time.

since the review is only for the purpose of figuring out if a major slipped through the cracks, if they happen to see a minor it goes uncalled because it would be a windfall to catch a minor just because they happened to be watching for another purpose.

Date: November 23, 2019 08:01AM

ugarte
andyw2100
marty

i think the logic is that they go to review only to catch something BIG that they missed because they always miss a few calls a game just because you can't see 100% of the ice 100% of the time.

since the review is only for the purpose of figuring out if a major slipped through the cracks, if they happen to see a minor it goes uncalled because it would be a windfall to catch a minor just because they happened to be watching for another purpose.

But this hardly explains how/why a major would be called for interference.

Date: November 23, 2019 09:02AM

why are we walking about a interference being changed to a major? why would that happen?

Date: November 23, 2019 09:55AM

marty
Was it "contact to the head"? I thought any minor could include that and the inclusion made it a major.

Date: November 23, 2019 09:57AM

yes it was contact to the head that was called.

Date: November 23, 2019 09:58AM

"Delay of game -- contact to the head." ;-)

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2019 10:00AM

Trotsky
marty
Was it "contact to the head"? I thought any minor could include that and the inclusion made it a major.

I think what's essentially happening - and what some of you have alluded to and danced around, but not come right out and said - is this:

The refs miss a call, they look at it on replay and find that it was a pretty obvious call that they're embarrassed to have missed, and their only two options are: 1) No call, because the rule doesn't allow them to call a minor based on a replay, or 2) A major. So they call a major because a no-call makes them look like idiots who didn't get it right. Maybe the behavior wouldn't have justified a major if they'd seen it in real time, but it also wasn't accidental or innocent enough that they'll feel good about a no-call, so a major allows them to look at themselves in the mirror and sleep at night.

Y'know what? If that's what's going on, I'm pretty okay with that.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 23, 2019 10:07AM

IINM the rule (or its guidance) says explicitly not to do that. That if the replay shows you missed the minor you say "sorry, eyes can't be everywhere" and let it go. That is what happened earlier in the game with our hit against the boards. Again, IMO. I don't think the refs issue explanations after the game.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 10:08AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 23, 2019 10:09AM

Trotsky
"Delay of game -- contact to the head." ;-)

In the BU NCAA game in 2018? I thought it was interference.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 10:10AM by marty.

Date: November 23, 2019 11:33AM

i thought the replay on the first hit was caused more by their guy checking with his head down and the 2nd one as obvious live and on replay pretty clear he hit him in the head with a cross check in the face

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2019 11:51AM

What was the deal with what went on after the final buzzer? It looked to me like the Cornell player took a shot at the empty net (that just missed the outside post) perhaps half a second to a second after the buzzer, and was then attacked by at least two different Quinnipiac players. Were they just annoyed that he shot at an empty net after the buzzer? I've seen players go after players who take late shots with a goalie in net, but I always assumed that was a "protect the goalie" sentiment. This was not that, obviously, since the Quinnipiac goalie was on the bench.

Date: November 23, 2019 11:53AM

marty
ugarte
andyw2100
marty

as a few people who i guess reply in threaded view and don't quote tweet have said, it was interference including contact to the head. so, a minor with aggravating circumstances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 12:54PM by ugarte.

Date: November 23, 2019 11:54AM

Pecker often gets his team riled up with the old Sturm und Drang. I assume he'll pick another fight with Colgate tonight, especially if things go badly. It's nothing to pay attention to. Just his style, which is one reason Mike does not appear to regard him with esteem.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 11:55AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 23, 2019 12:29PM

ugarte
marty
ugarte
andyw2100
marty

as a few people who i guess reply in threaded view and don't quote tweet have said, it was interference including contact to the head. so, a minor with aggravating circumstances.

And I can't find a 3/24/2018 box score that includes the 5 minute major that I am referencing. Not sure if I have the video or if this was the game that the DVR gods mercifully refused to record.

Date: November 23, 2019 01:42PM

yeah the first guy cross checked him as he just threw the puck at the net just after the whistle and the 2nd guy came out of no where pretty pissed off for some reason.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2019 03:40PM

marty
ugarte
marty
ugarte
andyw2100
marty

And I can't find a 3/24/2018 box score that includes the 5 minute major that I am referencing. Not sure if I have the video or if this was the game that the DVR gods mercifully refused to record.
The box score is here. [cornellbigred.com] It was a clean game. There was a 2-minute interference call on BU and a 2-minute cross-checking call on Cornell. No other penalties.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-22.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2019 06:24PM

David Harding
marty
ugarte
marty
ugarte
andyw2100
marty

The box score is here. [cornellbigred.com] It was a clean game. There was a 2-minute interference call on BU and a 2-minute cross-checking call on Cornell. No other penalties.

No. There was a 5 minute major on us after a video review (after a no call). That box is wrong. I think the major went to the end of the 3rd or close to it.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2019 06:42PM

marty
David Harding
marty
ugarte
marty
ugarte
andyw2100
marty

No. There was a 5 minute major on us after a video review (after a no call). That box is wrong. I think the major went to the end of the 3rd or close to it.
OK. I wasn't there. The Sun blogger didn't mention a major penalty.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-97-46-66.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2019 07:12PM

David Harding
marty
David Harding
marty
ugarte
marty
ugarte
andyw2100
marty

Yes I looked at that today too.

But the more I search the more I think my memory is faulty. The clip of the end of the game shows 6 Cornell players on the ice.

I did find one instance of a major for interference. I don't know if this was after a video review. But it does seem like a weird and uncommon call.

Starrett
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 09:04PM by marty.

Date: November 24, 2019 07:18PM

marty
David Harding
marty
David Harding
marty
ugarte
marty
ugarte
andyw2100
marty

Yes I looked at that today too.

But the more I search the more I think my memory is faulty. The clip of the end of the game shows 6 Cornell players on the ice.

I did find one instance of a major for interference. I don't know if this was after a video review. But it does seem like a weird and uncommon call.

Starrett

Proving I'm only half brain dead. Here is the box vs. Mass Lowell where McCarron had the five minute major for interference. Of course it made no difference because we were shut out. Though it was 3-0 when they called the major.

5-0 NCAA 2017 loss to Lowell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login