Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Don Cherry fired

Posted by billhoward 
Don Cherry fired
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 08:44AM

85-year-old Don Cherry's time in hockey - player, coach, commentator - is done. He was fired from SportsNet after an on-air rant about immigrants' lack of appreciation, in his opinion, for being able to live in Canada. Speaking Saturday on Hockey Night in Canada, Cherry said the newcomers were too uncaring or too cheap to buy and a wear a poppy, Canada's symbol of remembrance for veterans: "You people... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that."

Great story on the decline and fall of Cherry in the Toronto Globe and Mail:
Don Cherry, fired by Sportsnet, hated any changes to hockey – and his imaginary Canada

Cathal Kelly
[Cherry] started out on the CBC in the early eighties. He quickly found his straight man in Ron MacLean. He learned the showman’s trick of using costume to distract from content – because there wasn’t much of the latter.

He continued to talk about a Canada in which everyone grew up near an iced-over pond and held the flag above all things. But Mr. Cherry’s Canada was not an idyllic place. It was beset by the encroachment of foreign influence into our national game and our way of life.

In the end, what Mr. Cherry really hated – and he hated an awful lot of things – was change. He wanted hockey and Canada to remain just as they had been when he first got to know them. A man’s game played by woodsy John Wayne types who could knock your teeth out on the rink and then help you raise a barn on the weekend.

His vision of masculinity suited this country for a time, when it felt itself weak. But now that Canada seemed to be getting the better of the 21st century, there was no need for Mr. Cherry’s bantam rooster routine. It became provincial and gauche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 08:57AM by billhoward.

Re: Don Cherry fired
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2019 12:09PM

Another victim of the cancel culture

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-4.myvzw.com)
Date: November 12, 2019 12:11PM

Good.

Date: November 12, 2019 12:27PM

The wardrobe was reason enough to move on.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.15.---)
Date: November 12, 2019 12:30PM

billhoward

I liked the wardrobe.

I didn't like the constant whining that only Canadians were violent enough to really play hockey, and that's the only thing he did. Other than wear ridiculous suits.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2019 01:35PM

How many people are out of job now that he wont be buying all these wacky outfits?

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: November 12, 2019 01:52PM

All of those clothes are made in China, so they don't matter according to him.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 02:12PM

billhoward

He makes a good case for tariffs.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 02:15PM

He was an idiot. I doubt he realized most people were laughing at him, not with him.

Posted by: RichH (45.41.134.---)
Date: November 12, 2019 02:16PM

I just roll my eyes at any sports reporter who does the "LOOK AT ME AND MY GARISHLY OUTLANDISH CLOTHING, AREN'T I INTERESTING" thing. That goes for Cherry, Craig Sager (RIP), and even Ken Rosenthal's charity bow ties. Anyone can put on a clown suit. Very few are excellent in that field.

Date: November 12, 2019 02:20PM

RichH
I just roll my eyes at any sports reporter who does the "LOOK AT ME AND MY GARISHLY OUTLANDISH CLOTHING, AREN'T I INTERESTING" thing. That goes for Cherry, Craig Sager (RIP), and even Ken Rosenthal's charity bow ties. Anyone can put on a clown suit. Very few are excellent in that field.
They aren't even original. They're all ripping off Lindsey Nelson (who actually was an excellent broadcaster).

As with Dump's inanities it's just a distraction from the lack of anything of substance.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 02:20PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: November 12, 2019 02:46PM

Trotsky
RichH
They aren't even original. They're all ripping off Lindsey Nelson (who actually was an excellent broadcaster).

As with Dump's inanities it's just a distraction from the lack of anything of substance.

I don't know. I think Lindsey Nelson just had genuinely bad taste. He wasn't dressing to impress (or offend).

Date: November 12, 2019 03:24PM

nshapiro
I don't know. I think Lindsey Nelson just had genuinely bad taste. He wasn't dressing to impress (or offend).
According to Bob Murphy Nelson had impeccable taste. Whenever they were on a road trip they'd scout the fashion shops for the worst possible jackets, and Nelson would turn most of them away saying "not loud enough." I have no idea how the tradition started -- those things usually happen by accident -- but it was deliberate and first class trolling.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 03:25PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 12, 2019 06:04PM

Swampy
billhoward
He makes a good case for tariffs.
You're not supposed to have cats declawed. What is the rule about people who post?

Date: November 12, 2019 06:08PM

billhoward
What is the rule about people who post?

Qu'on me donne six lignes écrites de la main du plus honnête homme, j'y trouverai de quoi le faire pendre.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 12, 2019 10:10PM

Cop at Lynah

To paraphrase Alex Winter, the term "Cancel Culture" is a bad faith fallacy. There's only Consequence Culture, and it's long overdue.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 10:53PM

Don Cherry is a moron.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2019 05:40AM

Beeeej
Cop at Lynah

To paraphrase Alex Winter, the term "Cancel Culture" is a bad faith fallacy. There's only Consequence Culture, and it's long overdue.
Well said.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2019 11:34AM

meh, Sportsnet has been trying to get rid of him for years; this just gave them an easy out.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 14, 2019 01:24PM

At least Canadians never supported Don Cherry and his sissy bulldog for Parliament or Prime Minister, like Americans supported his soulmate in the U.S.A.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-4.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2019 01:41PM

osorojo
At least Canadians never supported Don Cherry and his sissy bulldog for Parliament or Prime Minister, like Americans supported his soulmate in the U.S.A.

Strictly speaking, Rob and Doug Ford were/are only Ontario politicians rather than national Canadian politicians, but...

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 03:43PM

osorojo

just a dude in blackface is all

Date: November 14, 2019 04:13PM

underskill
osorojo

just a dude in blackface is all
Oh, like who hasn't done that?

-- Resident of Virginia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login