Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

MSG: Red Hot Hockey

Posted by Jim Hyla 
MSG: Red Hot Hockey
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2019 10:22AM

I haven't gone to this game in years. From those who've gone, what's the chance I can bring in newspapers +/or Snickers?

Re: MSG: Red Hot Hockey
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2019 10:35AM

Jim Hyla
I haven't gone to this game in years. From those who've gone, what's the chance I can bring in newspapers +/or Snickers?

I haven't seen anybody have an issue with newspapers. I'd be less confident about candy.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2019 10:36AM

Jim Hyla

I don’t think newspapers would be a problem, but you should check the MSG website to see what restrictions they may have about bringing in outside food.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2019 10:49AM

scoop85
Jim Hyla

I don’t think newspapers would be a problem, but you should check the MSG website to see what restrictions they may have about bringing in outside food.

I'm almost certain that outside food is officially prohibited. That being said I know that there have been times when my wife and I had done things in New York before the game that resulted in our having some outside food / leftovers / baked goods, and with them not in obvious spots in whatever purse or handbag my wife was carrying, these items were not confiscated. I think they are much more concerned with weapons when bag-checking, and are pretty relaxed with respect to a little food. All that being said, several bags of Snickers may be harder to conceal.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2019 05:01PM

andyw2100
scoop85
Jim Hyla

I'm almost certain that outside food is officially prohibited. That being said I know that there have been times when my wife and I had done things in New York before the game that resulted in our having some outside food / leftovers / baked goods, and with them not in obvious spots in whatever purse or handbag my wife was carrying, these items were not confiscated. I think they are much more concerned with weapons when bag-checking, and are pretty relaxed with respect to a little food. All that being said, several bags of Snickers may be harder to conceal.
I've never had trouble with the newspapers I have brought to Red Hot Hockey. My wife has had an 8-ounce clear plastic bottle of water confiscated from her fanny pack there. We've never tried to bring in Snickers or anything comparable.

Posted by: profudge (172.78.143.---)
Date: November 10, 2019 05:20PM

I'm going with son and friend and brother and my wife - we could each put a ziplock of Snickers in pockets and meet up with you inside ?

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2019 05:37PM

profudge
I'm going with son and friend and brother and my wife - we could each put a ziplock of Snickers in pockets and meet up with you inside ?
Apparently this is a tradition that started after I left. What's the deal with the snickers?

Date: November 10, 2019 06:14PM

KenP
profudge
Apparently this is a tradition that started after I left. What's the deal with the snickers?

1: I always give them to the band, home or away.

2: For 20 years, or so, in the second intermission I've thrown them to fans at the away games I attend. I used to throw them at Sec B fans at home games, but then CU made me stop.:`-(

Last year Harvard made me stop at their rink. So we'll see what happens this year.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2019 07:44PM

Jim Hyla
KenP
profudge

2: For 20 years, or so, in the second intermission I've thrown them to fans at the away games I attend. I used to throw them at Sec B fans at home games, but then CU made me stop.:`-(

Last year Harvard made me stop at their rink. So we'll see what happens this year.

Is the rationale for this that by giving candy away you lower for-profit sales at the licensed stands?

After all, I assume you're throwing out wrapped Snicker bars that almost certainly have not been tampered with. What other reason could they have?

Date: November 10, 2019 08:20PM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
KenP
profudge

Is the rationale for this that by giving candy away you lower for-profit sales at the licensed stands?

After all, I assume you're throwing out wrapped Snicker bars that almost certainly have not been tampered with. What other reason could they have?

Yes, what possible reason could they have for not wanting someone to throw small, solid projectiles into the stands?

Not saying I agree with their stance, but it's not at all crazy.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 10, 2019 08:31PM

Beeeej
Swampy
Jim Hyla
KenP
profudge

Yes, what possible reason could they have for not wanting someone to throw small, solid projectiles into the stands?

CU allows penalty box officials to throw candy from the ice, but not me. So what does that mean? I have no idea.

Date: November 10, 2019 08:40PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Swampy
Jim Hyla
KenP
profudge

CU allows penalty box officials to throw candy from the ice, but not me. So what does that mean? I have no idea.

Think like a lawyer. Their insurance can indemnify their own employees if something happens. If you injure someone, Cornell could be on the hook for letting you do it and uninsured for it.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 12:07AM

Beeeej
Think like a lawyer. Their insurance can indemnify their own employees if something happens. If you injure someone, Cornell could be on the hook for letting you do it and uninsured for it.

As the expression goes...

Posted by: Swampy (---.m247.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 12:38AM

Beeeej
Swampy
Jim Hyla
KenP
profudge

So ping-pong balls would be OK; golf balls, not so much. And what if he just passed the Snickers bag around? Oh wait, diabetes and obesity, of course.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 07:04AM

Swampy
Beeeej
Swampy
Jim Hyla
KenP
profudge

So ping-pong balls would be OK; golf balls, not so much. And what if he just passed the Snickers bag around? Oh wait, diabetes and obesity, of course.

Don’t forget about the potential for someone with a peanut allergy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 07:52AM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Swampy
Jim Hyla
KenP
profudge

I'd rather not, but I figured someone would come up with this. Next they'll probably say that I can't hand out newspapers. There must be some potential problem with that.:-D

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2019 07:58AM

the crew throwing candy on the ice to kids has been scaled back because of lawyers too

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 09:35AM

Lawyers do not think. They scheme. "Think like a lawyer" is an oxymoron - sorta like "Harvard hockey star".

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 10:24AM

I know it's easy to bash lawyers, but that's a sorry take

Date: November 11, 2019 11:10AM

A society where disputes are mediated by lawyers is better than a society where disputes are mediated by gunmen, even if in the end the result is the same and the richest person wins.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 11:10AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 11:19AM

A society mediated by juries of peers and by judges is infinitely preferable to a society mediated by lawyers. Harvard is currently rated #1 in the ECAC; Cornell is tied for second place. Betcha this ranking was done by lawyers, not juries of the people.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: November 11, 2019 11:23AM

Trotsky
A society where disputes are mediated by lawyers is better than a society where disputes are mediated by gunmen, even if in the end the result is the same and the richest person wins.

Well, the right answer then is to reduce the cost of serious weaponry, right? Am I right?

"We're armed, and they're armed! Yayyy!"

Or we could just all become lawyers, right? Is that the answer?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 11:24AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 12:15PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

Well, the right answer then is to reduce the cost of serious weaponry, right? Am I right?

"We're armed, and they're armed! Yayyy!"

Or we could just all become lawyers, right? Is that the answer?

That's my family's motto.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 09:33PM

Damn lawyers. Always have to ruin everyone's fun. :)

Date: November 11, 2019 09:52PM

osorojo
A society mediated by juries of peers and by judges is infinitely preferable to a society mediated by lawyers. Harvard is currently rated #1 in the ECAC; Cornell is tied for second place. Betcha this ranking was done by lawyers, not juries of the people.

They're not "rated" #1. They've accumulated the most points in conference play so far, which they've done while playing in more conference games than Cornell has yet played. I think standings ought to be done by winning percentage instead of points because it accounts for those "game in hand" situations, but it's not up to me - and things even out once the Beanpot is done anyway.

- Steve Worona

Date: November 11, 2019 11:01PM

Beeeej
osorojo

They're not "rated" #1. They've accumulated the most points in conference play so far, which they've done while playing in more conference games than Cornell has yet played. I think standings ought to be done by winning percentage instead of points because it accounts for those "game in hand" situations, but it's not up to me - and things even out once the Beanpot is done anyway.

Ummm...not for ECAC standings. :)

Date: November 11, 2019 11:03PM

andyw2100
Beeeej
osorojo

Yes, for ECAC standings. One of the main reasons Hahvahd plays a different, more front-loaded in-conference schedule is to make room for the Beanpot. Been that way for years.

- Steve Worona

Date: November 11, 2019 11:09PM

Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
osorojo

Yes, for ECAC standings. One of the main reasons Hahvahd plays a different, more front-loaded in-conference schedule is to make room for the Beanpot. Been that way for years.

The original point was about Harvard being "rated" higher than Cornell. You correctly pointed out that they had played one more conference game than Cornell, which is why they show as being ahead of Cornell in the conference standings. The games Harvard loses in the Beanpot won't affect the conference standings.

Date: November 11, 2019 11:27PM

andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
osorojo

The original point was about Harvard being "rated" higher than Cornell. You correctly pointed out that they had played one more conference game than Cornell, which is why they show as being ahead of Cornell in the conference standings. The games Harvard loses in the Beanpot won't affect the conference standings.

And I didn't say they would. The schedule will normalize at that time, that's all.

- Steve Worona

Date: November 11, 2019 11:30PM

Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
osorojo

And I didn't say they would. The schedule will normalize at that time, that's all.

Yes, we're saying the same thing. My response was to what I thought was a joke you were making about Harvard's perennial failure in the Beanpot, which of course we both know will not affect ECAC standings. I now realize you weren't making that joke.

Posted by: cu155 (---.129.16.8.static.quadranet.com)
Date: November 12, 2019 12:22AM

andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
osorojo

Yes, we're saying the same thing. My response was to what I thought was a joke you were making about Harvard's perennial failure in the Beanpot, which of course we both know will not affect ECAC standings. I now realize you weren't making that joke.

Can't we just all agree that Harvard sucks.

Date: November 12, 2019 08:41AM

cu155
andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
andyw2100
Beeeej
osorojo

Can't we just all agree that Harvard sucks.

That goes without saying.

Date: November 12, 2019 10:30AM

andyw2100
The games Harvard loses in the Beanpot won't affect the conference standings.

I see what you did there.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.124.---)
Date: November 22, 2019 03:42PM

The BU coach was suspended for one game this weekend for his behavior after his team's loss to UMass last weekend. It was apparently due to the way he acted toward a UMass employee.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.mobility.exede.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 06:36PM

ESPN+ does not have the game on the calendar, but am I remembering correctly that it was picked up for streaming last year? Anyone know what is planned this year?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 25, 2019 09:55AM

still no plans for tv at this time

Posted by: Mark (---.4.163.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 25, 2019 12:02PM

Given Cornell's improved offensive output, coupled with BU's overall youth and somewhat shaky defense early in the season, looks like it adds up to a 4-1 Cornell win from here.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2019 12:49PM

I was wondering who was tempting the Hockey Gods....then I realized who it was. Nice to see you, Mark!

What a lot of people are missing with this year's Cornell team is the defensive strength - it's masked by our gaudy offensive numbers and our lousy PK percentage (77%). Even strength, we've only given up 5 goals in 8 games. If we had a top 20 kill (85%), our GAA would be 1.25. Top 10 (90%) and we'd be at a ridiculous 1.0 GAA. If we can get the PK coached up....look out.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2019 01:18PM

I thought the kill looked good last weekend. You know Mike will get them there.

They appear to have struck a balance between playing in a disciplined system but also having room to play an up tempo, fun style that showcases their talents. That's the kind of a program that future good players will want to join.

We will always have a leg up on tradition and on understanding players' culture. What is Ithaca but Southern Ontario? What we need is a prolonged period of success to breed additional success, and it sure looks like Mike and his assistants have gotten that virtuous cycle going.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 01:18PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2019 04:39PM

Trotsky
I thought the kill looked good last weekend. You know Mike will get them there.

They appear to have struck a balance between playing in a disciplined system but also having room to play an up tempo, fun style that showcases their talents. That's the kind of a program that future good players will want to join.

We will always have a leg up on tradition and on understanding players' culture. What is Ithaca but Southern Ontario? What we need is a prolonged period of success to breed additional success, and it sure looks like Mike and his assistants have gotten that virtuous cycle going.

ECAC fans have always said of Schafer's teams, "yeah they win, but they're boring." Since this year's junior class arrived on the scene (and maybe a year earlier with Kaldis and Malott), that criticism is out the window. We are now playing a high-paced game that is a joy to watch, without compromising much on the defensive side of things. And having a goalie like Galajda makes it a bit easier for his mates to take chances.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2019 09:20PM

upprdeck

Noticed this when I was accessing the CU/Navy basketball game. So possibly here?

[watchstadium.com]

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: November 27, 2019 02:54AM

jeff '84
upprdeck

Noticed this when I was accessing the CU/Navy basketball game. So possibly here?

[watchstadium.com]

Good catch-it's on their schedule page

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-220-19.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2019 06:52AM

jeff '84
upprdeck

[watchstadium.com]

Thanks. There’s an app, but apparently it can’t stream the service’s premium content (at least on iOS) which I assume the MSG game will be, so you need to use its web browser interface.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2019 07:39AM

JasonN95
jeff '84
upprdeck

[watchstadium.com]

Thanks. There’s an app, but apparently it can’t stream the service’s premium content (at least on iOS) which I assume the MSG game will be, so you need to use its web browser interface.
Roku, maybe?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-242-143.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2019 11:06AM

Al DeFlorio
JasonN95
jeff '84
upprdeck

[watchstadium.com]

Roku, maybe?

I think Colgate(?) used stadium pre-espn+ and the roku app worked to stream it. I know I've watched cornell at least once that way.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2019 11:53AM

Chris '03
Al DeFlorio
JasonN95
jeff '84
upprdeck

[watchstadium.com]

Roku, maybe?

I think Colgate(?) used stadium pre-espn+ and the roku app worked to stream it. I know I've watched cornell at least once that way.
I've watched Stadium on Roku but was puzzled by the comment above about "premium content" on Stadium.

Posted by: Mark (---.4.163.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 27, 2019 02:37PM

Well, after last night's morale-boosting 4-0 setback against Sacred Heart in front of family and friends on home ice, BU heads to MSG with zero momentum and on the virtual Road to Perdition.

After all, this is a team that has scored the same number of goals (43) as their opponents, but has only managed to win 4 of 14 games. But when the defense gives up as many scoring chances as it does every game, it makes more sense.

I'd feel a whole lot better if BU could sneak Clayton Keller (would-be senior), Brady Tkachuk (would-be junior), Joel Farrabee (would-be sophomore), Dante Fabbro (would-be senior) and Jake Oettinger (would-be senior) into the lineup against Schafer's Marauders, but that won't be happening.

I just hope the Terriers decide to show up, because I know the Big Red certainly will. I also hope this doesn't turn into another similar disaster from many moons ago (31st anniversary approaching on 12/10!) when Cornell, powered by the likes of Rob Levasseur, Trent Andison and Casey Jones, put eight up on the board in an 8-2 thrashing of the Terriers at Boston Gahden. The Gahden, of all places! Never mind that BU came back to beat the Big Red 19 days later in the Syracuse Invitational, the damage had already been done. And I'd never get back those two wasted tanks of gas.

I've been to the first six RHH games but will be sitting this one out.

Enjoy the game -- I'm quite sure you folks will. Either 4-1 or 6-2 for the Ithaca squad.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2019 09:56AM

Mark
Well, after last night's morale-boosting 4-0 setback against Sacred Heart in front of family and friends on home ice, BU heads to MSG with zero momentum and on the virtual Road to Perdition.

After all, this is a team that has scored the same number of goals (43) as their opponents, but has only managed to win 4 of 14 games. But when the defense gives up as many scoring chances as it does every game, it makes more sense.

I'd feel a whole lot better if BU could sneak Clayton Keller (would-be senior), Brady Tkachuk (would-be junior), Joel Farrabee (would-be sophomore), Dante Fabbro (would-be senior) and Jake Oettinger (would-be senior) into the lineup against Schafer's Marauders, but that won't be happening.

I just hope the Terriers decide to show up, because I know the Big Red certainly will. I also hope this doesn't turn into another similar disaster from many moons ago (31st anniversary approaching on 12/10!) when Cornell, powered by the likes of Rob Levasseur, Trent Andison and Casey Jones, put eight up on the board in an 8-2 thrashing of the Terriers at Boston Gahden. The Gahden, of all places! Never mind that BU came back to beat the Big Red 19 days later in the Syracuse Invitational, the damage had already been done. And I'd never get back those two wasted tanks of gas.

I've been to the first six RHH games but will be sitting this one out.

Enjoy the game -- I'm quite sure you folks will. Either 4-1 or 6-2 for the Ithaca squad.

Some great reverse psychology right there. Now, let's try some double reverse psychology. .... BU can't play any worse than Tuesday, they will be pumped by MSG. ... Cornell was last 8-0 in '71-72, when they lost to .... BU .... in the finals. And as for knowing Cornell will show up -- welp, there was last year....

Date: November 28, 2019 11:38PM

The Hockey Gods punish reverse woofing even more strongly than vanilla woofing.

Hockey Gods aint nuthin to fuck with.

Posted by: Mark (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2019 03:29PM

Swing and a miss, Ad.

I was merely expressing my thoughts about the outcome of the game and it had zero to do with using "reverse psychology" in any way.

Of course I'd like to see BU put it all together, play a solid 60 minutes, and knock off a talented and unbeaten team. But at this point of the season for both schools, that doesn't seem likely. That's it.

Posted by: Mark (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2019 03:42PM

Trotsky
The Hockey Gods punish reverse woofing even more strongly than vanilla woofing.

Hockey Gods aint nuthin to fuck with.

The Hockey gods may be nuthin to F with, but like Adam, you completely misread the intention of my post.

Perhaps if I had typed "enjoy your ninth straight win on Saturday night en route to a 37-0 record and a third National title for the Big Red" you would have a beef.

IMHO it just adds up to a likely Cornell W on Saturday night, in what I hope will be a close, well-played game. I just don't think BU is ready to knock off the No. 2 team in the nation at this point. Guess we'll find out.

I reckon I should've saved myself the time and postage it took to send you the Ned Harkness article from a late 1970s issue of Hockey Magazine all those years ago...

Date: November 29, 2019 04:16PM

Mark
like Adam, you completely misread the intention of my post.
One possibility is both Adam and I missed the towering insight of your post.

Another is you are being teased.*

I leave it as an exercise for the reader.

* And quite gently for around here. I for one am amazed you didn't attract a Typical / :-| autoreply. Yet. (oh crap, there's a third one I've forgotten. Anybody?)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2019 04:18PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-220-19.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2019 04:24PM

Mark

The Hockey gods may be nuthin to F with, but like Adam, you completely misread the intention of my post.

Not to speak for others but as someone whose been on this board for pretty much its entire life I’ll just say that the Hockey Gods, jinx, reverse-jinx etc are bandied about here with tongue firmly in cheek and I think the replies you saw were meant as goodnatured ribbing/jokes premised on that. There’s no reason for you to know that. I (and I think a lot of others) appreciate fans who come here into “enemy territory” and take part in civil conversations.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2019 04:25PM by JasonN95.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 29, 2019 04:27PM

Trotsky

* Typical / :-| autoreply. Yet. (oh crap, there's a third one I've forgotten. Anybody?)

Figures.

Date: November 29, 2019 05:02PM

Thanks.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2019 03:59AM

Indeed, 'twas just ribbing - and my reply was meant to mitigate the wrath from the hockey gods :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login