Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 6 - Yale 2, 11/9/2019

Posted by Swampy 
Re: Cornell 6 - Yale 2, 11/9/2019
Posted by: cu155 (198.2.228.---)
Date: November 10, 2019 09:38AM

Thank you, I appreciate these. I'm based in China and ESPN/Disney have gotten wise to people using VPNs making it almost impossible to get ESPN+ to work.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 10, 2019 12:08PM

do they block things like a sling box?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.guest.nat.upenn.edu)
Date: November 10, 2019 12:59PM

I know Yale is not what they used to be in terms of talent, but that was one of the worst Yale teams I've seen in years. That or the current Cornell team is just that much better. Brown appeared to be the better of the two opponents this weekend and it wouldn't surprise me if they got a home seed in March
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 01:00PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-4.myvzw.com)
Date: November 10, 2019 01:41PM

Iceberg
I know Yale is not what they used to be in terms of talent, but that was one of the worst Yale teams I've seen in years. That or the current Cornell team is just that much better. Brown appeared to be the better of the two opponents this weekend and it wouldn't surprise me if they got a home seed in March

By the end of last season, Brown looked legitimately good. I'm not sure how much of the team they lost or what their freshman class is like, but if they're in the same ballpark as last year, you could be right.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2019 03:08PM

Posted by: cu155 (198.2.228.---)
Date: November 10, 2019 06:29PM

upprdeck

Used to work pretty well, it's more questionable now if it'll work well still, but I've been thinking of trying that as an option, or remotely controlling a computer based in the US.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2019 07:41PM

cu155
upprdeck

Used to work pretty well, it's more questionable now if it'll work well still, but I've been thinking of trying that as an option, or remotely controlling a computer based in the US.

I was in China last fall. My VPN didn't work at all. But some of the locals used VPNs that got through the government blockade, particularly on smart phones. Have you compared notes?

Posted by: DL (120.229.77.---)
Date: November 10, 2019 08:23PM

Swampy
cu155
upprdeck

I was in China last fall. My VPN didn't work at all. But some of the locals used VPNs that got through the government blockade, particularly on smart phones. Have you compared notes?

Most VPNs are super flakey. ExpressVPN was the most reliable, but now I don't know. There are others that work off and on, but right now the best bet is Google Fi with unlimited roaming capped at 80usd a month.

Posted by: cu155 (167.99.235.---)
Date: November 10, 2019 11:35PM

DL
Swampy
cu155
upprdeck

Most VPNs are super flakey. ExpressVPN was the most reliable, but now I don't know. There are others that work off and on, but right now the best bet is Google Fi with unlimited roaming capped at 80usd a month.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. The issue is not on the VPN side/China side for once. I have probably the two most stable VPNs available (Astrill would be my first choice for anyone coming to China), as well as Shadowsocks as an alternative. The issue is that on the US side ESPN/Disney have gotten really good at identifying when a user connects with a VPN so even though I'm theoretically using a US based server they are flagging me as connecting from overseas and not allowing the stream. This was not an issue up until the last 2 months or so.

Google Fi is a great solution for people that want to browse open internet. However, Google has also now realize that a small percentage of Google Fi users are using primarily for the international roaming and they have started throttling people's subscriptions (buried in their TOS is the idea that you have to spend the majority of your time in the US to use their service).

Posted by: Swampy (---.m247.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 12:58AM

cu155
DL
Swampy
cu155
upprdeck

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. The issue is not on the VPN side/China side for once. I have probably the two most stable VPNs available (Astrill would be my first choice for anyone coming to China), as well as Shadowsocks as an alternative. The issue is that on the US side ESPN/Disney have gotten really good at identifying when a user connects with a VPN so even though I'm theoretically using a US based server they are flagging me as connecting from overseas and not allowing the stream. This was not an issue up until the last 2 months or so.

Google Fi is a great solution for people that want to browse open internet. However, Google has also now realize that a small percentage of Google Fi users are using primarily for the international roaming and they have started throttling people's subscriptions (buried in their TOS is the idea that you have to spend the majority of your time in the US to use their service).

Ah that problem. I was in Tibet, so I was conscious of both kinds of blockage.

But even though I told them I be traveling in Asia, my own ISP, Cox Communications, blocked me from my own email, not only in China, but Nepal, Bhutan, and India too. I’ve found NordVPN to be pretty good for getting around such things, although Cox also blocks most (but not all) of Nord’s servers in the U.S. from sending email.

My wife returned to India this fall, and rather than teach the most technophobic person I know about SIM cards &tc, I switched her to Google Fi before she left for India. And there have been absolutely zero complaints, not only about service in India, but in the U.S. as well. If you knew my wife, you’d know this is high praise indeed. (She also used Nord without complaint.) It probably helps that she has a Pixel 3a, which has the technology to take advantage of FI’s carrier switching. My point is that for someone based in the U.S. who travels internationally a lot, FI’s pretty good.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 01:00AM by Swampy.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2019 08:03AM

some software wont even run if it sees a vpn active. alot of phone apps wont work.

ESPN is working hard on stopping these types of things.. the new disney+ service is adding on by limiting acct sharing for the espn/hulu/disney+ streams so they are working hard on location software side of things.

Posted by: cu155 (---.205.95.2.static.quadranet.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 08:12AM

I checked, and it looks like they don't even make sling boxes as of 2017. I might get desperate and do something like run a live computer in the US and then connect to it remotely via Teamviewer or similar app and just remotely control the computer and then share screens...tough to get a hockey fix.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2019 09:44AM

but they still sell them for $100 or so and used ones on ebay for under $50. I use mine quite a bit still.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-203-20.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 07:13PM

Per CHN:

Cornell is 2nd for goals scored per game.
5th for goals against per game.
2nd for power play percentage.
And has three of the top five goals per game scorers.

Fun with small sample sizes. :-)

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 10:44PM

JasonN95
Per CHN:

Cornell is 2nd for goals scored per game.
5th for goals against per game.
2nd for power play percentage.
And has three of the top five goals per game scorers.

Fun with small sample sizes. :-)
But also, they've looked very proficient on offense...all four lines have.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 11, 2019 10:55PM

if we can keep up the volume of quality chances thats a good thing.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 11:01PM

upprdeck
Hint: we can't. I think this year could be something very special, but for me, I still haven't seen any actual evidence for that yet. Let's be honest, MSU, Brown, and Yale just aren't going to be competitive this year. Let's keep the over-exuberance in check for a few more weeks, at least. :)

Posted by: Swampy (---.m247.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 11:05PM

Robb
upprdeck
Hint: we can't. I think this year could be something very special, but for me, I still haven't seen any actual evidence for that yet. Let's be honest, MSU, Brown, and Yale just aren't going to be competitive this year. Let's keep the over-exuberance in check for a few more weeks, at least. :)

Friday night looms large.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 10:35AM

Swampy
Robb
upprdeck

It is our first big test -- a very strong conference rival on their traditionally difficult ice. This is one of the six biggest games of the RS, along with the Harvard games and the ones against some other emergent conference power.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.15.---)
Date: November 12, 2019 11:18AM

Trotsky
Swampy
Robb
upprdeck

It is our first big test -- a very strong conference rival on their traditionally difficult ice. This is one of the six biggest games of the RS, along with the Harvard games and the ones against some other emergent conference power.

It's a big game and a tough opponent. I don't want to anger any gods.

But I'm thrilled with what I've seen so far. We fought off a tough challenge in our first game. Then we won big three straight against teams we should be beating. And Brown's a pretty decent team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 02:18PM

Brown could conceivably be #4 after the Big 3. So could RPI, which is wild. About all we know so far is that Yale is hot garbage. Union sure seems bad, too.

Posted by: RichH (45.41.134.---)
Date: November 12, 2019 02:21PM

Trotsky
Brown could conceivably be #4 after the Big 3. So could RPI, which is wild. About all we know so far is that Yale is hot garbage. Union sure seems bad, too.

Gone is the bizarro Mercury Retrograde version of the ECAC, ruled by Yale, Union, and Quinnipiac. Order seems to be restored with Cornell, Clarkson, and Harvard as the top dogs.

Date: November 12, 2019 02:25PM

RichH
Order seems to be restored with Cornell, Clarkson, and Harvard as the top dogs.
The old ways are the best ways.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 02:27PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 07:42PM

Trotsky
There really isn't much of a basis for the claim that Yale is going to be significantly worse than Brown. If I had to guess, I'd predict neither team ends up particularly good but Yale finishes ahead of Brown.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.126.---)
Date: November 12, 2019 09:32PM

This is my favorite sentence from the Yale Daily sportswriter about last weekend's Cornell game: "While both teams wound up finishing with the same number of shots on goal, the dissimilitude of pucks that found the back of the net was not in the Bulldogs’ favor on Saturday." You can read other literary gems here. It's a throwback to the sportswriting of the 1920s and 30s, although writers like Grantland Rice and later on, Red Smith, did it much better!

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 10:08PM

dbilmes
This is my favorite sentence from the Yale Daily sportswriter about last weekend's Cornell game: "While both teams wound up finishing with the same number of shots on goal, the dissimilitude of pucks that found the back of the net was not in the Bulldogs’ favor on Saturday." You can read other literary gems here. It's a throwback to the sportswriting of the 1920s and 30s, although writers like Grantland Rice and later on, Red Smith, did it much better!

Those Bulldog chaps are not exceptionally proficient in geography either:
JARED FEL & MARGARET HEDEMAN (Yale Daily News)
The Elis then traveled up north to take on the fourth-ranked hockey team in the nation, Cornell (4–0, 2–0).
Small wonder that Daniel Coit Gilman, a geographer, Yale 1852, and A. D. White's buddy, left Yale to ascend to the presidency of the University of California and then, that of The Johns Hopkins University. Both continue to be excellent in Geography.

(Extra credit for someone who teaches me how to include a live Google Map excerpt showing Hamilton and Ithaca in upstate New York.)
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 04:55PM by Swampy.

Date: November 13, 2019 11:00AM

dbilmes

Fun fact: Grantland Rice was crap.

Date: November 13, 2019 11:04AM

BearLover
There really isn't much of a basis for the claim that Yale is going to be significantly worse than Brown. If I had to guess, I'd predict neither team ends up particularly good but Yale finishes ahead of Brown.
I respectfully disagree -- my basis was the two games I watched last weekend. Brown looked like a mediocre team outplayed by a superior opponent. Yale OTOH was atrocious (and it was glorious to watch their incompetence).

If I had to predict league finish based solely on those games I'd say Brown 6, Yale 11. Allain is good enough that he can probably whip something out of that dog and maybe get them to 8, but unless they have significant, and temporary, injury trouble, they are in freefall. And it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys (except Q).
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 11:08AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 01:45PM

Robb
upprdeck

I agree with all of this. My key observations about this year's team, based on a grand total of 1.5 periods watched plus looking at shot attempt statistics:

1) The opposition has been weak.
2) This team is absolutely dominating weak teams - even when shots seem fairly even for stretches Cornell just has the puck all the time..
3) The PP looks like it's for real - they're making the kind of skip passes (high point to weak side post, down low to weak side point) that past Cornell teams didn't even attempt. If they can do that kind of stuff against top tier competition this team will be really dangerous.

The second and third points are encouraging. I don't think I've really seen Cornell dominate mediocre to poor opposition in this way within the last 10 years. Maybe not since 2003. But beating the tar out of bad teams on two straight weekends is something top 4 conference teams with no real hope at an NCAA title can do, too.

Date: November 14, 2019 01:50PM

Agreed on all three points. I love seeing Malinski on the pp as a freshman.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 02:01PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: November 14, 2019 02:44PM

Trotsky

What I think is amazing is how confident he is and how confident and accurate he is in passing the puck and HOW CONFIDENT AND ACCURATE HE IS IN MAKING SHOTS ON GOAL!!!

The Chief Albany Bear will approve if he is as good as these games have indicated.

Date: November 14, 2019 04:15PM

marty
Trotsky

What I think is amazing is how confident he is and how confident and accurate he is in passing the puck and HOW CONFIDENT AND ACCURATE HE IS IN MAKING SHOTS ON GOAL!!!

The Chief Albany Bear will approve if he is as good as these games have indicated.
We had several sniper shots last weekend that made me nervously check my ticket stub to see if I'd wandered into the wrong rink.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2019 09:44AM

marty
Trotsky

A 21-year old freshman - it should be noted. Doesn't mean I enjoy it any less - but he barely qualifies as a freshman.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: November 15, 2019 09:48AM

adamw
marty
Trotsky

A 21-year old freshman - it should be noted. Doesn't mean I enjoy it any less - but he barely qualifies as a freshman.

Does he still have 4 years of eligibility?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-4.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2019 10:02AM

adamw
marty
Trotsky

Our legally drinking adults have been beating on higher-ranked 18 year old prospects for quite some time, now.

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: November 15, 2019 04:39PM

adamw

So you're just saying he's a "quinny frosh"? ;)

Date: November 15, 2019 05:01PM

abmarks
adamw

So you're just saying he's a "quinny frosh"? ;)
At 21 he's still just a Q commit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login