Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Awards 2019-20

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Awards 2019-20
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: September 30, 2019 06:18PM

Maybe these aren't awards, but it's a way to start a thread.

ECAC HOCKEY MEDIA PRESEASON MEN'S ALL-LEAGUE TEAM

F – Morgan Barron (Cornell)
F – Odeen Tufto (Quinnipiac)
F – Haralds Egle (Clarkson)
D – Reilly Walsh (Harvard)
D – Yanni Kaldis (Cornell)
G – Matthew Galajda (Cornell)

ECAC HOCKEY COACHES PRESEASON MEN'S ALL-LEAGUE TEAM

F - Morgan Barron (Cornell)
F - Odeen Tufto (Quinnipiac)
F - Haralds Egle (Clarkson)
D - Yanni Kaldis (Cornell)
D - Reilly Walsh (Harvard)
G - Matthew Galajda (Cornell)

ECAC HOCKEY COACHES PRESEASON WOMEN'S ALL-LEAGUE TEAM

F-Fillier (So. - Princeton)
F-Giguere (Jr. - Clarkson)
F-O’Neill (Sr. - Cornell)
D-Thompson (Sr. - Princeton)
D-Bourbonnais (Sr. - Cornell)
G-Reeed (Fr. - Harvard)

Re: Awards 2019-20
Posted by: Swampy (172.98.93.---)
Date: October 01, 2019 10:49PM

Interesting with the women, Clarkson is highest in the polls but has only one player on the all-league team. Cornell & Princeton, lower-polling teams, each have two.

Date: October 02, 2019 08:34AM

Swampy
Interesting with the women, Clarkson is highest in the polls but has only one player on the all-league team. Cornell & Princeton, lower-polling teams, each have two.

It's a team sport:-D

Posted by: Robb (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 03, 2019 12:39PM

Jim Hyla
Swampy

Ooooh, sorry. "It's the system" is what we were looking for here.

:)

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2019 09:22AM

Robb
Jim Hyla
Swampy

Ooooh, sorry. "It's the system" is what we were looking for here. :)
Nicely played, sir. Reminiscent of the prison joke about telling jokes at night when it's all locked down. Prisoners tap out the jokes in Morse Code on the cell bars, to save time, each joke having a 3-digit designator. A new inmate asks his cellmate for a demo, the lifer taps out 3-2-5 and the cell block erupts in laughter. The new guy taps out 4-4-9, the one about the rabbi-priest-minister walking into a bar (and the bartender says, "What is this, a joke?"], but nobody laughs. The old inmate says, "Well, some people just can't tell a joke."]

Date: October 28, 2019 12:46PM

Frechette wins ECAC POTW & Browning is GOTW.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 28, 2019 01:28PM

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2019 05:30PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Well deserved.

Would be quite the upset if a goalie other than one who got 2 consecutive shutouts won the GOTW.

Date: November 05, 2019 07:41AM

ECAC Names Malinski ROTW

CornellBigRed's take: Four-Point Weekend Nets Malinski ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week

ECAC Names Browning GOTW

CornellBigRed's take: Browning Named ECAC Goaltender of the Week for the Second Week in a Row

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 08:38PM

ECAC Names Barron POTW & Malinsky ROTW

CBR says: Barron, Malinski Collect ECAC Hockey Weekly Honors

Date: November 13, 2019 08:02AM

NCAA announces that "Cornell's Morgan Barron leads this week's three stars"

Date: November 19, 2019 07:58AM

How the heck does the ECAC pick their Winners OTW?

The Colgate women's goaltender got GOTW. The story highlights her shutout win, but she only played 1 game last weekend. Cornell's Browning got "2" shutouts in 100 min of playing time against the same 2 teams that played Colgate.

Sure Colgate's Auby had to stop 23 against Yale, while Browning only had 15, but doesn't playing 2 games mean something?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 09:33AM

Jim Hyla

The Colgate women's goaltender got GOTW. The story highlights her shutout win, but she only played 1 game last weekend. Cornell's Browning got "2" shutouts in 100 min of playing time against the same 2 teams that played Colgate.

Sure Colgate's Auby had to stop 23 against Yale, while Browning only had 15, but doesn't playing 2 games mean something?
Maybe they felt that Colgate needed her shutout to win whereas we dominate so ours are less relatively "valuable"?

I'm reaching here. I always assume all xOTW awards are decided by the AD's PA's house pets, who themselves only give it a few seconds' thought before going back to licking themselves.

But I may be projecting.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 09:35AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 09:35AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Maybe they felt that Colgate needed her shutout to win whereas we dominate so ours are less relatively "valuable"?

I'm reaching here. I always assume all POTW awards are decided by the AD's PA's house pets, who themselves only give it a few seconds thoughts before going back to licking themselves.

But I may be projecting.

Perhaps they watch every second of every game, and made the decision that the Colgate goalie stole the win....rolleyes

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (45.125.116.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 10:41AM

nshapiro
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

I'm reaching here. I always assume all POTW awards are decided by the AD's PA's house pets, who themselves only give it a few seconds thoughts before going back to licking themselves.

But I may be projecting.

Perhaps they watch every second of every game, and made the decision that the Colgate goalie stole the win....rolleyes

Or more likely, Browning has already won it and they wanted to share the wealth.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 11:06AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

I'm reaching here. I always assume all xOTW awards are decided by the AD's PA's house pets, who themselves only give it a few seconds' thought before going back to licking themselves.

But I may be projecting.

I like this but I'm not sure which I like more - the 23 save rational or the house pets decision. Could be the pee stains on the training papers too if the pets are young.

One of our beloved Chem E professors swore that he had his wife grade our exams by throwing them down the stairs. The higher on the stairs, the higher the grade. In reality he worked his butt off grading 53 or so papers regarding formulas that have long ago left my leaky brain. I always tipped my hat to anyone who graded the damn things rather than throw the grading at the TA's.

But I look at these weekly awards as quizzes, not prelims and likely we will have a lot more to bitch about after the "finals".

Date: November 19, 2019 12:06PM

marty
One of our beloved Chem E professors swore that he had his wife grade our exams by throwing them down the stairs.
This is a ubiquitous grad school joke. Faculty tends to modify it to throwing their TAs down the stairs.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 01:44PM

Ubiquitous undergrad joke, too.

Date: November 19, 2019 02:16PM

dag14
Ubiquitous undergrad joke, too.
The undergrad version isn't a joke, it's a Dunning Kruger whine. People who get poor grades are least able to understand why they got poor grades. ;-)

Note this has nothing to do with the current political situation.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 02:18PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2019 12:30PM

Sorry, after 40 years of teaching Cornell undergrads I have to disagree. And it isn't the students with poor grades who cause problems these days. It is the students who get a B+ instead of an A. "I worked really hard." "I studied all night." And sometimes "I always go to class." But whatever the lead in, the next question is..."So why didn't I get an A?" I have always tried to be tactful in how I phrase the answer but basically it is "Your answer was wrong" or"You don't really understand the material so why should you get an A." Or "Um, where on the syllabus does it say I aware an A for effort?" It is disturbing how many undergrads care more about what grade they get than what the actually learn. And privacy laws prevent us from giving them examples of all the famous and/or successful people who were B+ students...or worse.

End of rant. Back to hockey.

I suspect Browning did not get the award this week for the reasons you [Trotsky] articulated earlier. Her play was clearly crucial to the outcome of the game whereas the Cornell goalie would have to give up many goals before her team was going to lose.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 09:13PM

dag14
Sorry, after 40 years of teaching Cornell undergrads I have to disagree. And it isn't the students with poor grades who cause problems these days. It is the students who get a B+ instead of an A. "I worked really hard." "I studied all night." And sometimes "I always go to class." But whatever the lead in, the next question is..."So why didn't I get an A?" I have always tried to be tactful in how I phrase the answer but basically it is "Your answer was wrong" or"You don't really understand the material so why should you get an A." Or "Um, where on the syllabus does it say I aware an A for effort?" It is disturbing how many undergrads care more about what grade they get than what the actually learn. And privacy laws prevent us from giving them examples of all the famous and/or successful people who were B+ students...or worse.

End of rant. Back to hockey.

I suspect Browning did not get the award this week for the reasons you [Trotsky] articulated earlier. Her play was clearly crucial to the outcome of the game whereas the Cornell goalie would have to give up many goals before her team was going to lose.

Tell them you're being lenient!

I remember in my fifth year in Engineering I had an applied statistics course. Our final project was a team project, and our graded final paper did not have a single negative comment. But we got an A-. So I went to see the professor and asked why we didn't get an A. He was an old guy, probably about to retire. (Which means he probably was younger than I am now. Funny how looking ahead things look so different than when looking back.) He had a great name, Henry P. Goode! In any case, he said another team had a paper that was just as good as ours, but they wrote a computer program to compute their results. He was so impressed that he gave them "the A."

In other words, back then (c. 1968) there was only one A in the entire class, although in this case it went to every student on the winning team.

As a bitter side note, I had just spent the summer working for IBM doing systems programming work. I had been a co-op student at IBM's in-house graduate school in midtown Manhattan. My job was to modify the operating system on their mainframe to keep track of how often different software was used and to design a way to analyze the data. So when Prof. Goode told me why we "only" got an A-, I felt cheated because I was confident I could have "written" the computer program. (I believe the other team used BMDP software, which essentially required entering your data on punch cards and adding a few cards to trigger the appropriate analysis.) But we had assumed the assignment wanted us to do the computations manually, using the old monster electric calculators that were bigger than typewriters. So the reason we made things harder on ourselves and didn't "write" the computer program was because we thought we weren't allowed to do so. Knowing how relatively easy it was to use the computer, we didn't think a computer solution was legit. But computers must have been a mysterious black art for poor old Henry, which is why he was so impressed.

And unlike you, dag14, after graduating I never made it back to the Ivy League. I've spent my career teaching mainly at public institutions, a few top-tier research universities but mainly at lower ranked research and comprehensive universities. At such places one gets the same bullshit. "You gave me a C, but I'm not a C student!" is my favorite. A good chunk of the student body doesn't appreciate how lucky they are to get a B-, when if they were really being graded on their understanding of the subject a C- would be generous.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 20, 2019 10:56PM

had a computer course back in the day. a quiz every class and multiple tests everything was multiple choice.. got every question correct on 40 quizes and every test and the final.. got a B.. not even a B+. found out later the Prof was only going to give a set number of A's out.. Of course wanted to complain but he was also the Dean of the college.. no one to complain too.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (112.134.224.---)
Date: November 21, 2019 10:55AM

dag14

I remember one time where I did a ChemE problem exactly right methodologically, but about half way through dropped a sign and got the wrong answer. I got 6 out of 10 on the quiz. I went to the professor and asked "I showed I knew how to do the work, but just made a calculational error. Shouldn't I get credit for knowing how to solve the problem?" His response was "If you do that in the real world, your plant won't work."

It's something I never forgot and taught to the junior engineers I worked with.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: November 21, 2019 11:04AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
dag14

I remember one time where I did a ChemE problem exactly right methodologically, but about half way through dropped a sign and got the wrong answer. I got 6 out of 10 on the quiz. I went to the professor and asked "I showed I knew how to do the work, but just made a calculational error. Shouldn't I get credit for knowing how to solve the problem?" His response was "If you do that in the real world, your plant won't work."

Thorpe or Harriott?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2019 11:40AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
dag14

In one of my two Physics classes, I was marked wrong on a quiz question and ended up arguing about it with the TA in front of the class. The problem was concerned with Relativity, or Doppler shift, or something related (give me a break, I was an English major and it was 30 years ago). So because the question referred to the relevant stationary object as "an observer," I took that to mean a human being, which is three-dimensional - and if that were accurate, my answer to the question would have been correct. But the TA insisted that everybody else knew he meant a single point in space. Why on earth would you call a single point in space "an observer"?? If that's standard for that area of the science, fine, but this was a class for non-majors, and he should have worded the question more clearly. He ended up snottily declaring, "You knew what the question meant," as if I were just arguing because I was annoyed I'd gotten it wrong - which is why I don't actually regret having the argument in front of everyone. burnout Ironically, he's probably the only TA I ever had whose full name I can still remember.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 21, 2019 12:50PM

Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
dag14

In one of my two Physics classes, I was marked wrong on a quiz question and ended up arguing about it with the TA in front of the class. The problem was concerned with Relativity, or Doppler shift, or something related (give me a break, I was an English major and it was 30 years ago). So because the question referred to the relevant stationary object as "an observer," I took that to mean a human being, which is three-dimensional - and if that were accurate, my answer to the question would have been correct. But the TA insisted that everybody else knew he meant a single point in space. Why on earth would you call a single point in space "an observer"?? If that's standard for that area of the science, fine, but this was a class for non-majors, and he should have worded the question more clearly. He ended up snottily declaring, "You knew what the question meant," as if I were just arguing because I was annoyed I'd gotten it wrong - which is why I don't actually regret having the argument in front of everyone. burnout Ironically, he's probably the only TA I ever had whose full name I can still remember.

You should have argued that "stationary point" is arbitrary because all points are relative to one another and there is no objective frame of reference. Had I been your TA I'd have given you the grade and told you to sit down and stop being a dick. :-}

Oh, shit, it wasn't me, was it?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2019 12:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (112.134.224.---)
Date: November 22, 2019 10:50PM

marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
dag14

Thorpe or Harriott?

Uncle Ray (Thorpe)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 11:11PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
dag14

Thorpe or Harriott?

Uncle Ray (Thorpe)

....who was also the professor whose wife threw the papers on the stairs to grade them!
banana

Date: November 22, 2019 11:13PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
dag14

Thorpe or Harriott?

Uncle Ray (Thorpe)

... who was also the professor whose wife threw the papers down the stairs to grade them.
banana

P.S. Emerson Fittipaldi or whichever Formula One hero for extra credit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 12:06AM by marty.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (222.165.149.---)
Date: November 23, 2019 04:34AM

marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
dag14

Thorpe or Harriott?

Uncle Ray (Thorpe)

....who was also the professor whose wife threw the papers on the stairs to grade them!
banana

I THOUGHT that sounded familiar!

I still remember his mnemonic for the phase rule: Remember the Varna Police Department. Police Force = Chief + 2 (P + F = C + 2)

Date: November 25, 2019 06:42PM

CBR reports ECAC Hockey Selects Berard As Rookie of the Week.

Which the ECAC shows here. Dornbach, Berard, & Marotte Named to Weekly Honor Roll.

Date: December 03, 2019 07:31PM

ECAC announces Sharf, Brind'Amour, Galajda Pick Up League Honors

CBR highlights Galajda Earns League's Weekly Goaltending Award

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 05, 2019 01:52AM

Malinsky gets Rookie of the Month, and Galajda is Goalie of the Month for the ECAC. I’ll let Jim or someone link more stories.

But I’m getting annoyed with the league’s award graphics. No school, position, or years listed. Just names and 3 pictures of guys in suits.

The copy doesn’t even mention the school for Malinsky. That’s pretty bad.

[www.ecachockey.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 01:58AM by RichH.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2019 07:14AM

RichH
Malinsky gets Rookie of the Month, and Galajda is Goalie of the Month for the ECAC. I’ll let Jim or someone link more stories.

But I’m getting annoyed with the league’s award graphics. No school, position, or years listed. Just names and 3 pictures of guys in suits.

[www.ecachockey.com]

Well, the lede does, but that's still pretty bad.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: December 05, 2019 07:53AM

RichH

[www.ecachockey.com]

You've already linked the ECAC. So here's CBR saying Galajda, Malinski Earn ECAC Hockey Monthly Honors

And yes, the ECAC website has not been as good this year as in the past. And that's not saying much since mostly all they need to do for the news stories is to paste the individual schools stories. We often have stories in mid-week and they don't get put up. I'd like to read what other schools are saying, but I'm not going to scan each school's site. Seems to me that in past years the ECAC used to carry those stories.

Date: December 05, 2019 08:29AM

The Sun reports Dominant Novembers Culminate in 3 ECAC Monthly Accolades For Cornell Hockey

Date: January 21, 2020 05:34PM

I had to dig to pull up this thread.

Frechette Named to Weekly Honor Roll

I guess that having the #1 Men's team, by %, and the #1 Women's team, by any measure, means we don't deserve other weekly or monthly honors.

Or just maybe, we're all about Team and not individual.

Posted by: profudge (172.76.231.---)
Date: January 22, 2020 08:39PM

Gillis F. not only had ECAC honors for her 4 goal and 1 assist weekend but also was recognized by the NCAA:
John Gaines '67
Third Star from the NCAA. This is Gillis' second POTW honor this season and her first Third Star. Congratulations, Gillis!

Date: January 28, 2020 08:15AM

ECAC: Galajda is GOTW

CBR: Galajda Named ECAC Hockey's Top Goalie For The Week

ECAC: Browning is also GOTW

CBR: Browning Tabbed ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Week

Date: January 28, 2020 09:26AM

Jim's post nudged me to check out how Matt is doing in conference. The short answer is: really well.

2020 ECAC:
GAA:
1. 1.41 Galajda, Cor
2. 1.54 Marotte, Clk
3. 2.04 Petruzelli, Qpc

Sv%:
1. .938 Marotte, Clk  (.93846)
2. .938 Galajda, Cor  (.93841)
3. .930 Farrier, Cgt

Win%:
1. .833 Galajda, Cor
2. .800 Gornet, Hvd
3. .769 Marotte, Clk

For comparison, here are the Cornell single-season records:
GAA:
1. 1.20 LeNevue, 2003
2. 1.24 McKee, 2005
3. 1.41 Galajda, 2020
4. 1.46 Dryden, 1967
5. 1.50 LeNeveu, 2003
6. 1.51 Galajda, 2018

Sv%:
1. .947 McKee, 2005
2. .945 Dryden, 1967
3. .940 LeNeveu, 2003
4. .939 Galajda, 2018
5. .938 Galajda, 2020 (.93841)
6. .938 Dryden, 1968 (.93760)

Win%:
Yeah, forget it.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 09:44AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 28, 2020 04:42PM

From the ECAC women's release: "The junior goaltender now leads the nation in GAA (0.72), save percentage (.961), winning percentage (.905), and shutouts (8)." Although, according to CHN's stats, Northeastern's goaltender has a .963 save % and very close in every category.

Date: February 06, 2020 11:48AM

ECAC: Browning Named to January GOTM

CBR: Browning Tabbed ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Month

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2020 09:23PM

To add to her honor:

ECAC reports that Browning, Morgan Win National Monthly Awards for January

and CBR follows up with Browning Named WHCA National Goalie of the Month

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 06, 2020 10:33PM

And she's only a junior!

Hee hee!

Date: February 17, 2020 03:28PM

I saw that Kaldis was named the ECAC PoTW today.

Again, you have to either be knowledgeable about the league or have the players wearing a jersey in their photo to guess who they play for by looking at the ECAC graphic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 03:31PM by RichH.

Date: February 17, 2020 03:57PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

And she's only a junior!

Hee hee!

And not likely to bolt to the pros.

Date: February 17, 2020 04:57PM

RichH

Again, you have to either be knowledgeable about the league or have the players wearing a jersey in their photo to guess who they play for by looking at the ECAC graphic.

We’ve also got the PoTW on the Women’s side, too in Micah Zandee-Hart.

[www.ecachockey.com]

Date: February 17, 2020 04:58PM

RichH

And Zandee-Hart also won POTW.

Here are the CBR posts on both.

Three-Goal Weekend Leads Kaldis To ECAC Hockey Player of the Week Honors

Zandee-Hart Tabbed ECAC Hockey Player of the Week

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: February 19, 2020 07:10PM

Four Cornellians (Jenner and Fortino on the first team; Saulnier and Rougueau on the second team) named to ECAC Hockey's all-decade teams.

Complete first team.
Complete second team.

I suppose there will be a men's version of this as well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 07:12PM by Weder.

Date: February 24, 2020 03:07PM

Stienburg ECAC Men's Freshman of the Week.

Date: February 24, 2020 03:09PM

Owen Savory of RPI won ECAC goalie of the week because Galajda did not allow negative goals.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 03:09PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 24, 2020 03:58PM

Trotsky
Owen Savory of RPI won ECAC goalie of the week because Galajda did not allow negative goals.

Savory was masterful on Friday and looked great on Saturday too. I felt bad when he lost the shutout.

I think he'll be a factor next year as will RPI. As he improved this year RPI's scoring and defense have improved as well.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 05:13PM

Trotsky
Savory had more saves against Quinnipiac than Galajda had all weekend. I'd probably have given it to Savory too.

Date: February 24, 2020 07:26PM

ugarte
Trotsky
Savory had more saves against Quinnipiac than Galajda had all weekend. I'd probably have given it to Savory too.

Sounds like it's the system. bolt

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 10:54PM

marty
Trotsky

Savory was masterful on Friday and looked great on Saturday too. I felt bad when he lost the shutout.

I think he'll be a factor next year as will RPI. As he improved this year RPI's scoring and defense have improved as well.

As an RPI alum and fan, I am concerned about our offense next season. Most of it this year has been produced by seniors.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-0.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2020 08:11AM

ursusminor
marty
Trotsky

As an RPI alum and fan, I am concerned about our offense next season. Most of it this year has been produced by seniors.

Yes!

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.117.---)
Date: February 26, 2020 05:23PM

Galajda is named to the ECAC All-Decade second team, the only player still active in the ECAC to make either the first or second team. Also, the only Cornell representative on either team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2020 05:00AM

They named none of the Yale forwards to either team.

None of Arcobella, Backman, O'Neill, Little, and Miller.

That is... questionable.

Date: February 27, 2020 09:52AM

Trotsky

That is... questionable.

First team yet to come. You'd have to think at least one of them would end up there.

Date: February 27, 2020 10:00AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

That is... questionable.

First team yet to come. You'd have to think at least one of them would end up there.
Nope, they announced it already.

Since the ECAC isn't very good at this, here are the selections in simple form:

First Team:

F Jimmy Vesey (Harvard)
F Mike Vecchione (Union)
F Ryan Donato (Harvard)
D Shayne Gostisbehere (Union)
D Adam Fox (Harvard)
G Alex Lyon (Yale)

Second Team:

F Greg Carey (St. Lawrence)
F Daniel Carr (Union)
F Ryan Kuffner (Princeton)
F Austin Smith (Colgate)
D Mat Bodie (Union)
D Gavin Bayreuther (St. Lawrence)
G Matthew Galajda (Cornell)
G Kyle Hayton (St. Lawrence).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 10:03AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 27, 2020 10:02AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

That is... questionable.

Oops.

Hard to argue with the first team choices, tho.

Date: February 27, 2020 10:06AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

That is... questionable.

Oops.

I don't buy Donato up there. That's hype and the Boston Mafia. I'd have put Backman on the first team and Little instead of Kuffner on the second team. Kuffner was a great story but he's only there for team diversity.

Chase Polacek would have been a great choice too.

Date: February 27, 2020 10:12AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

That is... questionable.

Oops.

I don't buy Donato up there. That's hype and the Boston Mafia. I'd have put Backman on the first team and Little instead of Kuffner on the second team. Kuffner was a great story but he's only there for team diversity.

Interesting. The one first team choice I questioned in my mind was Vecchione. Maybe that's because I've seen him play a lot in the pros and I'm not especially impressed.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2020 10:20AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

That is... questionable.

Since the ECAC isn't very good at this, here are the selections in simple form:

First Team:

F Jimmy Vesey (Harvard)
F Mike Vecchione (Union)
F Ryan Donato (Harvard)
D Shayne Gostisbehere (Union)
D Adam Fox (Harvard)
G Alex Lyon (Yale)

Second Team:

F Greg Carey (St. Lawrence)
F Daniel Carr (Union)
F Ryan Kuffner (Princeton)
F Austin Smith (Colgate)
D Mat Bodie (Union)
D Gavin Bayreuther (St. Lawrence)
G Matthew Galajda (Cornell)
G Kyle Hayton (St. Lawrence).

It seems like the selection people have short memories.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2020 10:23AM

Trotsky

I came to say that I voted for Polacek First Team - and it's a shame so many voters skipped him. Recency bias at its finest.

Then I saw Greg's comment about Donato - and he's not the first. I've had to have this conversation like 3 times this week already. Donato was a no-brainer First Teamer for me. I think my first team was Donato, Vesey, Polacek.

Here is Top 20 in Goals Per Game - Nationally - in the past decade (note all the ECAC'ers on there)

+-----------+--------+------------+------+--------+
| player_ID | first  | last       | gm   | gpg    |
|     26822 | Reilly | Smith      |   77 | 0.7532 |
|     28269 | Johnny | Gaudreau   |  119 | 0.6555 |
|     27674 | Jimmy  | Vesey      |  128 | 0.6250 |
|     29954 | Ryan   | Donato     |   97 | 0.6186 |
|     33046 | Johnny | Walker     |  100 | 0.6000 |
|     29494 | Luke   | Kunin      |   69 | 0.5942 |
|     30095 | Adam   | Gaudette   |  116 | 0.5862 |
|     31654 | Henrik | Borgström  |   77 | 0.5844 |
|     29487 | Brock  | Boeser     |   74 | 0.5811 |
|     25622 | Brian  | O'Neill    |   71 | 0.5775 |
|     26307 | Jason  | Zucker     |   78 | 0.5769 |
|     25388 | Austin | Smith      |   80 | 0.5750 |
|     27679 | Sam    | Anas       |  121 | 0.5702 |
|     29958 | Ryan   | Kuffner    |  132 | 0.5682 |
|     28339 | Cody   | Wydo       |  151 | 0.5629 |
|     25605 | Alex   | Killorn    |   68 | 0.5588 |
|     35886 | Drew   | O'Connor   |   61 | 0.5574 |
|     27278 | Greg   | Carey      |  152 | 0.5526 |
|     26525 | Matt   | Gingera    |   69 | 0.5507 |
|     26312 | Drew   | Shore      |   82 | 0.5488 |

Date: February 27, 2020 01:25PM

There are no Cornellians in your list so it is in invalid.

(OK, fine. Donato then.)

Date: February 27, 2020 02:53PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

That is... questionable.

Oops.

Interesting. The one first team choice I questioned in my mind was Vecchione. Maybe that's because I've seen him play a lot in the pros and I'm not especially impressed.

Maybe so, but Vecchione was a heck of a college player.

Date: February 28, 2020 10:43AM

Cornell came pretty close to sweeping the Ivy League Women's Hockey Postseason Awards. After going 10-0, they got all three major awards, 4/6 First Team, and 1/6 Second Team. In Ivy games, Cornell outscored their opponents 51-6. Damn.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Lindsay Browning, Cornell (Jr., G – Penfield, N.Y.)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Izzy Daniel, Cornell (Fr., F – Minneapolis, Minn.) 

COACH OF THE YEAR
Doug Derraugh, Cornell (4th straight)

FIRST TEAM ALL-IVY 
Kristin O’Neill, Cornell (Sr., F – Oakville, Ontario, Canada)
* Sarah Fillier, Princeton (So., F – Georgetown, Ontario, Canada)
Carly Bullock, Princeton (Sr., F – Eden Prairie, Minn.)
Micah Zandee-Hart, Cornell (Sr., D – Saanichton, British Columbia, Canada)
* Jaime Bourbonnais, Cornell (Sr., D – Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
Lindsay Browning, Cornell (Jr., G – Penfield, N.Y.)

SECOND TEAM ALL-IVY
Maddie Mills, Cornell (Jr., F – Sewickley, Pa.)
Dominique Petrie, Harvard (So., F – Hermosa Beach, Calif.) 
Maggie Connors, Princeton (So., F – St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada)
Claire Thompson, Princeton (Sr., D – Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Emma Seitz, Yale (So., D – New York, N.Y.) 
Rachel McQuigge, Princeton (Jr., G – Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada)

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-IVY
Kristin Della Rovere, Harvard (So., F – Caledon East, Ontario, Canada)
Claire Dalton, Yale (So., F – Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Lotti Odnoga, Dartmouth (So., D – Györ, Hungary) 
Ali Peper, Harvard (Sr., D – Arvada, Colo.) 
Becky Dutton, Harvard (Jr., G – Milford, Conn.) 

* Unanimous Selection

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 10:50AM by RichH.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 28, 2020 11:25AM

still can't figure how Browning won POY and someone voted against her for first-team goalie.

Date: February 28, 2020 11:27AM

ugarte
still can't figure how Browning won POY and someone voted against her for first-team goalie.
Yeah, that was interesting to have two unanimous picks but neither win POTY.

IIRC (I probably don't) there was actually a case in one of the league (the Ivies?) a few years ago where the POTY didn't make the First Team, which ought to be logically impossible.

Date: February 28, 2020 11:49AM

ugarte

iT's ThE sYsTeM

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2020 12:36PM

RichH
ugarte

iT's ThE sYsTeM

And a damn good one!

Date: February 28, 2020 01:50PM

I've watched a fair number of the women's games this year and I think Bourbonnais has been the team's best player.

Date: February 28, 2020 03:41PM

We can't let this week's awards go without noting that Matt Stienburg looks like a hilarious goofball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 03:42PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2020 05:19PM

But he can put the puck in the back of the net net and ruffle opponents feathers a bit too

Date: February 28, 2020 05:23PM

Cop at Lynah
But he can put the puck in the back of the net net and ruffle opponents feathers a bit too
Which of course makes it that much better.

Date: February 29, 2020 12:01PM

ECAC: Bourbonnais, Shelton, Zandee-Hart Named Best Defenseman Finalists

CBR: Bourbonnais, Zandee-Hart Named ECAC Hockey Best Defenseman Finalists

No CU players on Best Forward, or ROTY. POTY & GOTY candidates not yet announced.

Date: March 04, 2020 07:39AM

O'Connor, Berard, Savory Named Weekly Award Winners

Hat Trick Nets Berard ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week Honor

Date: March 04, 2020 11:42AM

becoming ECAC Hockey's first freshman to record a hat trick in a league game this year

I'm very surprised to hear this given Harvard's 3 superfrosh.

Date: March 04, 2020 11:57AM

My predictions for Men's All-ECAC and All-Ivy:

ECAC

F Barron, Cor
F Drury, Hvd
F Tufto, Qpc
D Kaldis, Cor
D Walsh, Hvd
G Marotte, Clk

COTY: Smith, RPI
ROTY: Abruzzese, Hvd
POTY: Drury, Hvd

Ivy

F Barron, Cor
F O'Connor, Drt
F Graber, Drt
D Kaldis, Cor
D Walsh, Hvd
G Galajda, Cor

COTY: Schafer, Cor
ROTY: Abruzzese, Hvd
POTY: Kaldis, Cor
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2020 11:57AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 04, 2020 12:26PM

Interested to see what Barron gets.. He was the best player on the ice almost every game this yr. It didnt always lead to pts though

Date: March 04, 2020 12:48PM

upprdeck
Interested to see what Barron gets.. He was the best player on the ice almost every game this yr. It didnt always lead to pts though
He's the best defensive forward out there in addition to everything else. I just don't know whether that can cut through (1) points and (2) Harvard BiasTM.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2020 12:49PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-242-135.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2020 02:41PM

Ivy awards. Galajda co-poy. Barron and Kaldis join on first team. Schafer COY.

[cornellbigred.com]

Date: March 04, 2020 03:24PM

upprdeck

Right, like in the Clarkson game he hit a post and crossbar, I believe; his wrist shot that caught the crossbar was so hard that Marotte didn't seem to move.

For my money Barron should be ECAC player of the year.

Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.213.---)
Date: March 04, 2020 03:42PM

Don't know if this has been pointed out elsewhere, but in addition to being Cornell's first-ever four-time All-Ivy first-team selection, Yanni has played in every game of his Cornell career -- 133 so far.

Jeremy Downs holds the record for games played in a Cornell career with 138.

I fear the woofing gods, so somebody else can do the math.

Date: March 04, 2020 04:53PM

The Ivy Awards in gory detail:

CO-PLAYERS OF THE YEAR    
Matthew Galajda, Cornell (Jr., G – Aurora, Ontario, Canada)
Drew O'Connor, Dartmouth (So., F – Chatham, N.J.)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
* Nick Abruzzese, Harvard (Fr., F – Slate Hill, N.Y.) 

COACH OF THE YEAR
* Mike Schafer, Cornell

FIRST TEAM ALL-IVY
* Morgan Barron, Cornell (Jr., F – Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
* Drew O'Connor, Dartmouth (So., F – Chatham, N.J.)
* Nick Abruzzese, Harvard (Fr., F – Slate Hill, N.Y.)
* Yanni Kaldis, Cornell (Sr., D – Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
* Jack Rathbone, Harvard (So., D – West Roxbury, Mass.) 
* Matthew Galajda, Cornell (Jr., G – Aurora, Ontario, Canada)

SECOND TEAM ALL-IVY^ 
Quin Foreman, Dartmouth (Jr., F – Needham, Mass.) 
Jack Drury, Harvard (So., F – Winnetka, Ill.) 
Curtis Hall, Yale (So., F – Chagrin Falls, Ohio) 
Zach Giuttari, Brown (Sr., D – Warwick, R.I.) 
Tanner Palocsik, Dartmouth (Fr., D – Aliquippa, Pa.) 
Gavin Nieto, Brown (Sr., G – Yorba Linda, Calif.) 
Adrian Clark, Dartmouth (Sr., G – Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-IVY
Jackson Cressey, Princeton (Sr., F – Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)
Justin Pearson, Yale (So., F – Nashua, N.H.) 
Sam Malinski, Cornell (Fr., D – Lakeville, Minn.) 
Reilly Walsh, Harvard (Jr., D – Andover, N.H.) 
Mitchell Gibson, Harvard (Fr., G – Phoenixville, Pa.) 

* Unanimous Selection
^ Second Team Expanded Due To Ties In Voting

Malinski honorable mention as a freshman. Not bad.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2020 04:55PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 04, 2020 05:37PM

I guess this is as good a spot to post this as any.

Cornell’s Mike Schafer talks Big Red and ECAC Hockey: USCHO Spotlight college hockey podcast season 2 episode 22

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2020 05:39PM

Give My Regards
Don't know if this has been pointed out elsewhere, but in addition to being Cornell's first-ever four-time All-Ivy first-team selection, Yanni has played in every game of his Cornell career -- 133 so far.

Jeremy Downs holds the record for games played in a Cornell career with 138.

I fear the woofing gods, so somebody else can do the math.
Best case for number of games: We have to play an ECAC QF game 3, and play in the ECAC Final. That means he breaks the record at the NCAA Regional Semifinal.
If we win out: He breaks the record at the NCAA Regional Final game.
Worst case for number of games: We sweep ECAC QF and lose in the ECAC Semis. That would require a Frozen Four appearance to break Downs' record.

Date: March 04, 2020 08:36PM

The worst case for number of games is we are swept in the ECAC QF.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-37.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2020 08:57PM

Trotsky
The worst case for number of games is we are swept in the ECAC QF.

Assuming he’s healthy, the fewest he could play is 3. If I was Vegas, I might put the O/U at 5.5

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2020 10:59PM

Give My Regards

I also don't know if it was mentioned anywhere esle on eLynah or not, but it was part of the information about him that Arthur read during the senior night ceremony.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2020 11:00PM

andyw2100
Give My Regards

I also don't know if it was mentioned anywhere esle on eLynah or not, but it was part of the information about him that Arthur read during the senior night ceremony.

[insert grievance that ceremony was not streamed here]

Date: March 05, 2020 09:02AM

Chris '03
THIS!!!!!!!

Would somebody who knows who to contact to change this please do so? It's the simplest thing in the world, you just extend the "game" scope to include the post-game. Nobody else on the planet is covering it, it violates nobody's rights.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2020 09:02AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 05, 2020 09:57AM

Trotsky
Chris '03
THIS!!!!!!!

Would somebody who knows who to contact to change this please do so? It's the simplest thing in the world, you just extend the "game" scope to include the post-game. Nobody else on the planet is covering it, it violates nobody's rights.

So why don't you contact blt44@cornell.edu and see if he can't help you. It's better than complaining here.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 05, 2020 10:09AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Chris '03
THIS!!!!!!!

So why don't you contact blt44@cornell.edu and see if he can't help you. It's better than complaining here.

What is annoying to me is that I think o remember watching this in the past. Or was that just a pleasant dream?

Was it on ESPN+ last year ?

Date: March 05, 2020 10:24AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Chris '03
THIS!!!!!!!

I'm fine doing that, Jim. Who is that and how can they help?

True story: as I was typing out my initial post I thought "I should probably ask for the contact info because otherwise somebody might misconstrue it as me trying to task them." And then I thought, "Nah. Nobody's gonna be that much of a dick."

Date: March 05, 2020 10:25AM

marty
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Chris '03
THIS!!!!!!!

What is annoying to me is that I think o remember watching this in the past. Or was that just a pleasant dream?

Was it on ESPN+ last year ?
It happened at least once. I think they blew it off last year too because I remember switching over to Jason who then proceeded to blat through the whole thing.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 05, 2020 10:33AM

ESPN+ seldom stays on for post game stuff on any broadcasts.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2020 10:42AM

a) Every first-teamer is a unanimous selection. Plus the rookie of the year and the coach. Some day, I want to see an All-Ivy lineup with unanimous second-team selections.

b) Except for Cornell, the only All-Ivy Canadians are two: second-team goalie Adrian Clark from Dartmouth. and HM Jackson Cressey from Princeton.

By state / province:
3 Ontario

2 MA
2 NH
2 NJ
2 PA

1 BC
1 CA
1 IL
1 MN
1 RI
1 Nova Scotia
1 Quebec

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login