Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Lynah scoreboard

Posted by Weder 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Lynah scoreboard
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 03:01PM

Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97
We should have screens above the urinals, obviously. And why not add ear-splitting advertisements, preferably with soulless techno: "This bathroom brought to you by Shortline! We gooooooooooo the distance!"
Apparently you haven't been to an NHL or AHL arena recently. You can be sure there will be ads above the urinals.

Actually, the visual ad creep doesn't bug me that much; indeed, I've chuckled at more than a few over-urinal ads. I can look at them or ignore them.

But audio ad creep and audio intrusions (like "Jock Jams" shoved into every stoppage) make me want to tear out patch cables and kick over amps. The idiots who think "it's just one short ad" or that they're "giving the people what they want" don't seem to realize that what they're actually doing is suppressing crowd involvement. And none of us can just "ignore them." That's not the way our ears work.

It's all anti-human.

Exactly so.

If you are the least bit on the spectrum audio advertising is a human rights violation.

Not only does it ruin everything outside your head, it makes it impossible to think coherently inside your head. It's Harrison Bergeron.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 03:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: September 04, 2019 04:53PM

Trotsky
If you are the least bit on the spectrum audio advertising is a human rights violation.

Oh, I'd say a great many of us are at least a bit on the spectrum…

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2019 03:41AM

Make that two times the scoreboard has been hit with a puck and damaged

Date: September 06, 2019 10:14AM

Cop at Lynah
It's a start.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 06, 2019 11:39PM

Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
i know it's still the preseason but i really hope shooting accuracy is a point of emphasis going forward

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 10:28AM

ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
i know it's still the preseason but i really hope shooting accuracy is a point of emphasis going forward
Maybe it has been.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 11:57AM

David Harding
ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
Maybe it has been.

Maybe it's not been just a scoreboard all along. Maybe it's a target.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2019 11:59AM

Swampy
David Harding
ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
Maybe it has been.

Or more likely, maybe it's a deflection.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2019 01:56PM

Jim Hyla
Swampy
David Harding
ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
Maybe it has been.

Or maybe it’s a klutz during intramurals

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2019 10:03PM

scoop85
Jim Hyla
Swampy
David Harding
ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
Maybe it has been.

Or maybe it’s a klutz during intramurals

I heard a radio ad for Cornell Hockey this afternoon. Swear to god it contains the phrase "don't miss the new scoreboard'

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2019 08:43AM

David Harding

Cop at Lynah
Maybe it has been.

God, I hope so. It hasn't been in the past.bang

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2019 12:17AM

David Harding
ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
Maybe it has been.
got a lot of responses but if this is the tone i think it was meant to be it is the only one i'm crediting. if it is not in that tone, then i have to give it to swampy for telling the joke i thought david was telling.

Date: September 09, 2019 02:13PM

ugarte
David Harding
ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
Maybe it has been.
got a lot of responses but if this is the tone i think it was meant to be it is the only one i'm crediting. if it is not in that tone, then i have to give it to swampy for telling the joke i thought david was telling.

Well, I thought my joke was more subtle. David implied the team has been deliberately shooting at the scoreboard. Before submitting my post, I tried very hard to find a good graphic of a target on a screen to imply that it's the scoreboard that's deliberately designed to double as a target.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2019 08:19AM

Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97
We should have screens above the urinals, obviously. And why not add ear-splitting advertisements, preferably with soulless techno: "This bathroom brought to you by Shortline! We gooooooooooo the distance!"
Apparently you haven't been to an NHL or AHL arena recently. You can be sure there will be ads above the urinals.

Actually, the visual ad creep doesn't bug me that much; indeed, I've chuckled at more than a few over-urinal ads. I can look at them or ignore them.

But audio ad creep and audio intrusions (like "Jock Jams" shoved into every stoppage) make me want to tear out patch cables and kick over amps. The idiots who think "it's just one short ad" or that they're "giving the people what they want" don't seem to realize that what they're actually doing is suppressing crowd involvement. And none of us can just "ignore them." That's not the way our ears work.

It's all anti-human.

Minor league baseball was basically ruined by this by around the late 90s.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 10:01AM

Scoreboard theatrics, water balloon tosses and players who spent time signing autographs got our kids to like Triple-A baseball (Somerset Patriots) as much as going to see the Yankees.

That said I could see the Lynah Rink scoreboard devolving. Cornell is the Ivy League but some of the people who administer Cornell and staff it think at the lowest-common denominator. If you got into the Ivy League you don't need flashing signage telling you to stand up and cheer. One could see a warning, "Do not throw fish at the Harvard players," would lead to fish being tossed at the scoreboard or at Ted Donato.

Date: September 10, 2019 10:55AM

jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

It's crept into MLB now, too. There has to be noise between EVERY pitch. The entire experience is now pitched to 6-year olds. I'm sure the algorithms (developed by Cornell HumEcies) show rats hit the feeder bar more frequently when bombarded by constant noise. God bless consumerism.

I assume symphonies now have piped in crowd noise and movie clips between movements.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 10:58AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.15.---)
Date: September 10, 2019 11:13AM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

It's crept into MLB now, too. There has to be noise between EVERY pitch. The entire experience is now pitched to 6-year olds. I'm sure the algorithms (developed by Cornell HumEcies) show rats hit the feeder bar more frequently when bombarded by constant noise. God bless consumerism.

I assume symphonies now have piped in crowd noise and movie clips between movements.

Some teams do better than others with noise in MLB. An organ is a nice touch. "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS" is not.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: September 10, 2019 01:40PM

Swampy
ugarte
David Harding
ugarte
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah
It's a start.
Maybe it has been.

Well, I thought my joke was more subtle. David implied the team has been deliberately shooting at the scoreboard. Before submitting my post, I tried very hard to find a good graphic of a target on a screen to imply that it's the scoreboard that's deliberately designed to double as a target.
i made my ruling

Date: September 10, 2019 03:43PM

Dafatone
Some teams do better than others with noise in MLB. An organ is a nice touch. "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS" is not.
Well thank you for not making a Florida-Congressman joke.

Date: September 10, 2019 04:27PM

Dafatone
Some teams do better than others with noise in MLB.

The ones who blare the bit from The Natural after a home homerun or walk off are the worst. It sucks all the actual excitement out of the moment and replaces it with cornball Disney generic treacle.

Just let the ambient crowd noise define the moment you fucking MBA assholes. Real life is captivating . It does not need your programmed lard.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 04:29PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (38.99.108.---)
Date: September 10, 2019 04:49PM

Trotsky
Dafatone

The ones who blare the bit from The Natural after a home homerun or walk off are the worst. It sucks all the actual excitement out of the moment and replaces it with cornball Disney generic treacle.

Just let the ambient crowd noise define the moment you fucking MBA assholes. Real life is captivating . It does not need your programmed lard.

Fun fact (spoilers): in the book, Roy Hobbs strikes out.

On your 2nd point, on some platforms of the MLB.tv service, you can choose home/away broadcasts for video, and for audio, you can select TV announcers, radio, Spanish language (if available), or remove announcers completely and just have ballpark ambient sound. That last option may be the greatest feature in sports broadcasting since the yellow line technology.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 04:56PM by RichH.

Date: September 10, 2019 05:57PM

So many options, be nice to have minimal announcements. Or text overlay with goal / assist. Penalty. New goalie. Announced attendance. Now that Cornell hockey finally has enough resolution you can tell who's on the ice, we don't need that.

Date: September 10, 2019 06:08PM

RichH
On your 2nd point, on some platforms of the MLB.tv service, you can choose home/away broadcasts for video, and for audio, you can select TV announcers, radio, Spanish language (if available), or remove announcers completely and just have ballpark ambient sound. That last option may be the greatest feature in sports broadcasting since the yellow line technology.
I discovered this during the Olympics. It is great. I want them to go to individual mic feeds so I can turn on PBP and turn off color. I would also like interactive technology where I can deliver electric shocks to the sideline reporter.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 06:09PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 06:38PM

RichH
Trotsky
Dafatone

Does anybody remember the NFL game back in 1980 where they had no announcers at all? They had graphics on screen and mics on the ref. That's it. It was wonderful.

As to all the music and noise, I remember hearing that the reason they played music during breaks in NHL games is because the radio and TV mics would pick up individuals in the crowd, including profanity yelled at the players. And I suppose by having piped in music, it prevents people from starting any cheers that are contrary to what management wants to hear.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 07:40PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
Trotsky
Dafatone

Someone did a special on that game, I think ESPN? As you'd expect, all the talking heads yammered about how terrible it was.

Does anybody remember the NFL game back in 1980 where they had no announcers at all? They had graphics on screen and mics on the ref. That's it. It was wonderful.

As to all the music and noise, I remember hearing that the reason they played music during breaks in NHL games is because the radio and TV mics would pick up individuals in the crowd, including profanity yelled at the players. And I suppose by having piped in music, it prevents people from starting any cheers that are contrary to what management wants to hear.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 11:02PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

A USHL team plays at a rink just a few minutes away from us. I've seen several Cornell-bound players there. The hockey is enjoyable, but we very rarely go because they turn up the volume so loud that it is painful and I don't want any more hearing loss.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2019 08:35AM

David Harding
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

A USHL team plays at a rink just a few minutes away from us. I've seen several Cornell-bound players there. The hockey is enjoyable, but we very rarely go because they turn up the volume so loud that it is painful and I don't want any more hearing loss.

This is common to far too many rinks... I often carry earplugs to rinks for that very reason... It's just plain offensive!!!

Date: September 11, 2019 10:47AM

Come the Revolution we will strangle the last salesman with the entrails of the last marketeer.

(Don't worry. We'll do the bankers first.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 10:52AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 10:17AM

I was worried.

Date: September 12, 2019 04:04PM

David Harding
... from what, the sex-drugs-rock 'n' roll years?

Date: September 13, 2019 10:27AM

There's offensive and there's offensive. The latter being what your child's hockey bag smells like midway through the season. Or yours if you play pickup post-Cornell and sometimes forget to bring it in from the trunk and air out the contents.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-1.myvzw.com)
Date: September 13, 2019 01:13PM

billhoward
There's offensive and there's offensive. The latter being what your child's hockey bag smells like midway through the season. Or yours if you play pickup post-Cornell and sometimes forget to bring it in from the trunk and air out the contents.

Jeez, The Crimson Band smells off key tonight, eh?

Date: September 14, 2019 12:57PM

redice
David Harding
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

This is common to far too many rinks... I often carry earplugs to rinks for that very reason... It's just plain offensive!!!

Yes, wish I had discovered these when I was at Cornell and had been smart enough to use them.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2019 03:49PM

Swampy
redice
David Harding
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

Yes, wish I had discovered these when I was at Cornell and had been smart enough to use them.

Worksite headphones get the point across better. Also have that nice "I'm an introvert, I don't want to interact with you" feel.

Date: September 14, 2019 10:41PM

Trotsky
Swampy
redice
David Harding
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

Worksite headphones get the point across better. Also have that nice "I'm an introvert, I don't want to interact with you" feel.

Actually, a cell phone will have that same effect.

Date: September 15, 2019 03:47PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Swampy
redice
David Harding
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

Actually, a cell phone will have that same effect.

Yeah, but my problem while at Cornell was not absence of earplugs at hockey games. I had friends who were in bands, and when I went to their shows -- as well as to those of strangers -- I would deliberately sit in front of the speakers. It created a sensory high after the show was over. Years later, when I went for a hearing test, the audiologist guessed that this is what I had done, because the portion of my hearing that's gone commonly goes due to this practice. Over time it worsened and became tinnitus. "Tinnitus ... can also result from prolonged exposure to excessively loud noise." Today I still go to rock concerts and even stand by the speakers, but wearing musician's earplugs.

Date: September 19, 2019 08:35AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
Trotsky
Dafatone

My recollection of that game is that the PA announcer overcompensated, however. (There was also the game where they experimented with only one announcer, but I think it was not good for his mental health.)

Date: September 19, 2019 08:42AM

Dafatone
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

I went to my first European hockey game in 10+ years last weekend, and I was reminded of how much of a better job they do here of using piped-in music to encourage rather than suppress audience participation. It also helps that the fan clubs have drums which they play basically throughout the game, leading cheers and songs. We were at the opposite end of the rink from the standing section, and it was still incredibly loud. (The two-year-old--attending her first hockey game--still decided it was a good environment to take a nap.)

Date: September 19, 2019 09:38AM

jtwcornell91
Dafatone
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Scersk '97

It's all anti-human.

Also Junior Hockey.

I went to my first European hockey game in 10+ years last weekend, and I was reminded of how much of a better job they do here of using piped-in music to encourage rather than suppress audience participation. It also helps that the fan clubs have drums which they play basically throughout the game, leading cheers and songs. We were at the opposite end of the rink from the standing section, and it was still incredibly loud. (The two-year-old--attending her first hockey game--still decided it was a good environment to take a nap.)

I've been to games in Korea, and it's similar. A fan club with drums at the end of the rink, and fairly organized cheers and limited music except for extended breaks. They also have a few cheerleaders at the fan club end.

Date: September 19, 2019 10:17AM

Closing in on 150 posts. Reminds me of the pitch for Seinfeld and what the show was about.

Seinfield pitch (2:33)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2019 10:20AM by billhoward.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2019 10:33AM

All of this brings to mind my hopes and prayers that the CU pep band has improved over last year's edition. In 50+ years of watching hockey at Lynah, last year's edition was the first to make me long for games WITHOUT a pep band. They were just plain "noise". Fingers crossed!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: RichH (69.10.35.---)
Date: September 19, 2019 11:44AM

billhoward
Closing in on 150 posts. Reminds me of the pitch for Seinfeld and what the show was about.

It’s called a DISCUSSION FORUM, Bill. I’m enjoying the talk here, too bad you aren’t. You really want a thread of nothing, go read through the Harvard thread.

Date: September 19, 2019 01:30PM

Is this a good time to mention that Seinfeld sucks?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: September 19, 2019 03:10PM

RichH
billhoward

It’s called a DISCUSSION FORUM, Bill. I’m enjoying the talk here, too bad you aren’t. You really want a thread of nothing, go read through the Harvard thread.

Not enough posts from Bill on that thread to qualify.

Date: September 19, 2019 08:20PM

Trotsky

+1

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2019 04:04PM

Trotsky

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2019 04:04PM by French Rage.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2019 04:51PM

Don't call me Ariel. My name is Helvetica.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: October 02, 2019 08:44AM

Anybody know anything new?

Date: October 02, 2019 09:47AM

Jim Hyla
"Who, me? I know lots of things. I know Carson City is the capital of Nevada!"

Date: October 02, 2019 10:28AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

That's new? Did you learn it yesterday?

Date: October 02, 2019 01:12PM

Swampy
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

That's new? Did you learn it yesterday?
Everything was new once.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login