Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponent News 19-20

Posted by redice 
Page: Previous1 2 345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Opponent News 19-20
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2019 01:40PM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla
Not opponents, but check out the #1 USCHO Play of the Week.

Are you pointing this out because that goal was scored off a stick quite a bit higher than our 2003 frozen four no-goal?
That was my reaction.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 26, 2019 09:16PM

Yale getting throttled at BC, although I don't think that game means very much for the pairwise. Certainly doesn't help the conference

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.124.---)
Date: November 27, 2019 01:17PM

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but since Iceberg just mentioned Yale, I thought I'd throw it here. Interesting college hockey column, especially in the section about coaches whose jobs may be on the line, and the discussion about why Yale was able to dominate Cornell for a while but can no longer do so.

Date: November 27, 2019 02:07PM

dbilmes
I wasn't sure where to put this post, but since Iceberg just mentioned Yale, I thought I'd throw it here. Interesting college hockey column, especially in the section about coaches whose jobs may be on the line, and the discussion about why Yale was able to dominate Cornell for a while but can no longer do so.

That is interesting but I have a question about the numbers.

My understanding is that HYP got serious about full financial support for Mere Mortals in two stages. In Stage I they made tuition (and perhaps expenses) virtually free for the Poors. I don't know the timeline so I'm guessing in the 90s. The other five with our smaller endowments took a long, long time to catch up, perhaps because we couldn't afford it, perhaps because the degree of enlightenment in the tier 2 Ivies is roughly equivalent to a 1850s plantation owner with a well-stocked library he never visits. But finally, begrudgingly the other 5 caught up just in time for...

... Stage II, in which HYP just said fuck it and filled in the Middle Class donut hole. If you were Plutey McFuckface you still had to pay full freight but otherwise tuition became a fiction like MSRP: a number you use for bragging rights with no real world meaning (since the only people who ever pay it can find it in their couch).

And Stage II is a place where the other 5 either cannot or will not go, ever.

Now, maybe our fine hockey recruits are covered disproportionally by Stage I and so this won't impact the program. Although hockey in the States not beginning with "M" has become dominated by rich assholes, in Canada it still seems to be a Great Leveler, like drinking and unrestrained political violence. Hypothetically. Hope so, because if we're fighting over what Joan Williams calls PMEs ("professional-managerial elites" -- the people who get Cornell degrees so the rich will pay them to run the shit they own; you know... us), we are going to lose to HYP because they are now subsidizing them.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 02:12PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2019 11:36PM

Trotsky
dbilmes

That is interesting but I have a question about the numbers.

My understanding is that HYP got serious about full financial support for Mere Mortals in two stages. In Stage I they made tuition (and perhaps expenses) virtually free for the Poors. I don't know the timeline so I'm guessing in the 90s. The other five with our smaller endowments took a long, long time to catch up, perhaps because we couldn't afford it, perhaps because the degree of enlightenment in the tier 2 Ivies is roughly equivalent to a 1850s plantation owner with a well-stocked library he never visits. But finally, begrudgingly the other 5 caught up just in time for...

... Stage II, in which HYP just said fuck it and filled in the Middle Class donut hole. If you were Plutey McFuckface you still had to pay full freight but otherwise tuition became a fiction like MSRP: a number you use for bragging rights with no real world meaning (since the only people who ever pay it can find it in their couch).

And Stage II is a place where the other 5 either cannot or will not go, ever.

Now, maybe our fine hockey recruits are covered disproportionally by Stage I and so this won't impact the program. Although hockey in the States not beginning with "M" has become dominated by rich assholes, in Canada it still seems to be a Great Leveler, like drinking and unrestrained political violence. Hypothetically. Hope so, because if we're fighting over what Joan Williams calls PMEs ("professional-managerial elites" -- the people who get Cornell degrees so the rich will pay them to run the shit they own; you know... us), we are going to lose to HYP because they are now subsidizing them.

Wow, that was a really well written article and incredibly educational (at least for me). Also enjoyed your follow-up, Trotsky.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2019 06:39AM

Cornell has adopted a program where it matches the financial aid awards of the other Ivy League schools, Stanford, MIT, & Duke. This program is for all students, not just athletes. So if a hockey recruit wants to attend Cornell but received a better financial aid package from Harvard, Cornell will match the Harvard package. This will enable the recruit to play in front of the Lynah Faithful, not empty seats.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2019 06:57AM by CAS.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2019 09:52AM

CAS
Cornell has adopted a program where it matches the financial aid awards of the other Ivy League schools, Stanford, MIT, & Duke. This program is for all students, not just athletes. So if a hockey recruit wants to attend Cornell but received a better financial aid package from Harvard, Cornell will match the Harvard package. This will enable the recruit to play in front of the Lynah Faithful, not empty seats.

My understanding is slightly different. In that Stanford, MIT, Duke, Harvard, Princeton, Yale instituted a program that uses their large endowments to give much bigger financial assistance than previously - for all students. This obviously impacted athletics favorably. The other Ivies had to get approval from the Ivy League that it was OK to match these awards without it being considered athletic scholarships in any way.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2019 11:55AM

adamw
CAS

My understanding is slightly different. In that Stanford, MIT, Duke, Harvard, Princeton, Yale instituted a program that uses their large endowments to give much bigger financial assistance than previously - for all students. This obviously impacted athletics favorably. The other Ivies had to get approval from the Ivy League that it was OK to match these awards without it being considered athletic scholarships in any way.
Both Stanford and Duke provide athletic “scholarships,” many of which are full ride.

Date: November 28, 2019 12:31PM

The match is of need-based scholarships. The Ivies offer only need-based scholarships
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2019 12:39PM by CAS.

Date: November 28, 2019 01:26PM

CAS
The match is of need-based scholarships. The Ivies offer only need-based scholarships

Yes, of course. Yale, Princeton, Harvard decided to give much more in need-based aid than they had before. The other Ivies were not doing that. The Ivy League allowed the other Ivy athletic programs to match their aid packages. I know there's more to it than this.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2019 05:48PM

BC vs Harvard worth the watch on ESPN+.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.ny.subnet.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: November 29, 2019 05:57PM

Indeed. BC with 3 goals in 1:48. Very wide open game

Date: November 29, 2019 05:58PM

Iceberg
Indeed. BC with 3 goals in 1:48. Very wide open game

Wasn't until it was. Third should be fun.

Date: November 29, 2019 06:09PM

marty

Watching the Harvard info-mercial made my pine for East Hill Car Wash.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2019 06:27PM

marty
marty

Watching the Harvard info-mercial made my pine for East Hill Car Wash.

On NESN Harvard must have paid for the coverage. About 75% of non-game time spots are highlights from Harvard athletics over the past 30 years.

Date: November 29, 2019 06:53PM

BC 4 / Harvard 2. Harvard is no longer undefeated.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2019 08:47PM

Northern Michigan is down 3-0 in the first at Alabama-Huntsville.

Alabama-Huntsville is 0-11-1.

Date: November 30, 2019 12:30AM

Bad night for the ECAC.

Harvard lost by 2 to BC. RPI lost by 4 to Lowell (shut out). St. Lawrence lost by 3 to Maine. Quinnipiac lost by 3 to UMass (shut out).

Colgate managed to win their game. They played Princeton.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 10:42AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 30, 2019 08:41AM

Trotsky
Northern Michigan is down 3-0 in the first at Alabama-Huntsville.

Alabama-Huntsville is 0-11-1.

Not any more. Alabama-Huntsville won 4-2.

Meanwhile, #1 Minnesota State keeps chugging along, beating Minnesota Duluth, at Duluth, 4-1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 08:43AM by Swampy.

Posted by: KenP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2019 09:05AM

Swampy
I remember hearing the Harvard goalie left the last game with what looked like a groin injury. Any updates on him? Did that impact the BC game?

Date: November 30, 2019 09:16AM

Read that Harvard goalie - Mitchell Gibson - was dressed for game but didn’t play.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2019 11:04AM

KenP
Swampy
I remember hearing the Harvard goalie left the last game with what looked like a groin injury. Any updates on him? Did that impact the BC game?
when the wheels fell off for harvard at the end of the second period there was nothing their backup goalie could do about it

Posted by: Iceberg (64.9.249.---)
Date: November 30, 2019 02:09PM

The goaltender played fine from what I saw. Harvard's coaching lost them that game

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 09:13PM

BU up 4-1 over Harvard with 6 min left.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2019 09:36PM

Al DeFlorio
BU up 4-1 over Harvard with 6 min left.

5-2 final, as Harvard scored a late PP goal, followed by a BU empty netter. Right after Harvard’s 2nd goal they missed a wide open net that would’ve made things really interesting.

Date: December 06, 2019 11:46PM

We got some help tonight and nearly got more:

(1) Mankato defeated Lake State
(2) Cornell defeated Harvard
(3) North Dakota defeated Western Michigan (ot)
(4) Denver lost to Arizona State
(5) Clarkson DNP
(6) Pedo State lost to Michigan
(7) Ohio State defeated Minnesota (ot)
(8) Northeastern DNP
(9) Notre Dame lost to (10) BC

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.118.---)
Date: December 10, 2019 07:35PM

For some strange reason, I turned on the UMass-Brown game, which is currently airing on NESN. I have never seen such an empty rink. There appear to be more people on the ice then in the stands.

Date: December 10, 2019 09:49PM

dbilmes
For some strange reason, I turned on the UMass-Brown game, which is currently airing on NESN. I have never seen such an empty rink. There appear to be more people on the ice then in the stands.

The announcer typically has to take a break between periods. My understanding is that he makes it down to the concession stand..... to serve the Coke and hot cocoa.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 11, 2019 08:18AM

dbilmes

And Brown got shutout 4-0 to no one's surprise. Hard to believe that arena was the same place Bob Marley had one of his last concerts

Yale and Princeton did win their games, so it's a net positive in regard to OOC record I guess. Still a few more OOC games involving ECAC teams coming up
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 08:19AM by Iceberg.

Date: December 11, 2019 09:50AM

marty
dbilmes

The announcer typically has to take a break between periods. My understanding is that he makes it down to the concession stand..... to serve the Coke and hot cocoa.
IINM Eddie Shore used to actually do this, but I' sure he also spat in the cocoa.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: December 11, 2019 07:36PM

Trotsky
marty
dbilmes

IINM Eddie Shore used to actually do this, but I' sure he also spat in the cocoa.

Oh, Piss on Eddie Shore!popcorn

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 12, 2019 06:27AM

Roy 82
Trotsky
marty
dbilmes

Old time hockey?smashfreak

Posted by: French Rage (---.mediazone.com)
Date: December 12, 2019 02:12PM

Roy 82
Trotsky
marty
dbilmes

<iframe src="[giphy.com]; width="319" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="[giphy.com] GIPHY</a></p>

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: December 12, 2019 02:37PM

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: December 20, 2019 09:37AM

Sort of opponents news, and nice to boot.

Harvard honors BC coach Jerry York

Posted by: Swampy (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2019 05:31AM

Not exactly “news,” but an interesting look at Union’s And Yale‘s declining fortunes since their NCs.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2019 01:14PM

"Bumps in the Road"
The Yale fan and the Quinnipiac fan might say the headline understates.

Posted by: French Rage (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2019 11:31AM

If I was within a decade of an NC, I could still live with some bumps.

Date: December 27, 2019 08:13PM

Colgate up on Ohio State 2-1 midway through.

Posted by: Swampy (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2019 10:29PM

Trotsky

Didn’t last. OSU 3 Colgate 2, Final.

Date: December 28, 2019 09:04PM

Harvard kicking the snot out of Arizona State. Good.

Date: December 28, 2019 10:41PM

Trotsky
Harvard kicking the snot out of Arizona State. Good.

And Vermont wins their first of the year beating Union 2-0 (including an empty net goal). Union now 57 in the PWR!banana

Date: December 29, 2019 06:00AM

Swampy
Trotsky

Didn’t last. OSU 3 Colgate 2, Final.
OSU also beat them Saturday 3-0. Friday in Vegas should be a very good game.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 29, 2019 10:29AM

basically Colgate was up 1 and down 1 going into the 3rd and gave up 2 goals both games and lost.

Date: December 29, 2019 08:05PM

Harvard went up 3-0 in the second game but ASU tied it 4-4.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2020 05:10AM

In case anyone is interested, Tom Reale came out of hibernation to post a list of RPI's top ten games of the last 10 years. I guess that he has some time on his hands since he lost his mayoral bid. It includes one game vs. Cornell.

Posted by: Swampy (---.m247.com)
Date: January 01, 2020 12:02PM

ursusminor
In case anyone is interested, Tom Reale came out of hibernation to post a list of RPI's top ten games of the last 10 years. I guess that he has some time on his hands since he lost his mayoral bid. It includes one game vs. Cornell.

Interesting, though not surprising, that RPI won all ten games. Sometimes your team can lose a great game, as in Cornell’s triple-overtime loss to Wisconsin in the 2006 NC$$ regionals.

Date: January 01, 2020 12:13PM

Swampy
ursusminor

Interesting, though not surprising, that RPI won all ten games. Sometimes your team can lose a great game, as in Cornell’s triple-overtime loss to Wisconsin in the 2006 NC$$ regionals.

There are a loss and a tie among the five honorable mentions at the bottom.

Date: January 03, 2020 09:23PM

never mind.

instead let's talk about Harvard in free fall and RPI beating Clarkson in Potsdam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 09:25PM by ugarte.

Date: January 03, 2020 10:07PM

ugarte
never mind.

instead let's talk about Harvard in free fall and RPI beating Clarkson in Potsdam.

Of course, RPI will probably follow that with a loss to SLU tomorrow.

When Cornell plays in Potsdam, do the refs seem quite biased for the home team?

Date: January 03, 2020 10:30PM

ugarte
let's talk about Harvard in free fall

Mitchell Gibson left that game after the second period at 3-1. His backup Cameron Gornet gave up 3 on 10 shots.

Date: January 05, 2020 10:34AM

Don't look now but the third place ECAC team by pct is Colgate.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2020 10:47AM

Don't look now, too, but Quinnipiac outscored Harvard and Dartmouth by a combined score of 11-2 this weekend.

Posted by: RichH (---.sub-174-250-34.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2020 02:18PM

dbilmes
Don't look now, too, but Quinnipiac outscored Harvard and Dartmouth by a combined score of 11-2 this weekend.

They’re also #16 in PWR. Clarkson is #14.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 05, 2020 04:44PM

N Mich is top 20 now as well.

big home series to finish off the oc.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-196-208.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2020 07:02PM

upprdeck

Am I correct in saying that Cornell’s OOC schedule has been better than it looked on paper before season started?

Date: January 05, 2020 07:15PM

JasonN95
upprdeck

Am I correct in saying that Cornell’s OOC schedule has been better than it looked on paper before season started?
burnout

Posted by: Swampy (---.cdn77.com)
Date: January 10, 2020 08:58PM

Spartans 4 Goofers 1

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 09:37PM

Swampy
Spartans 4 Goofers 1

Excellent! Go Sparty!

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2020 10:11PM

North Dakota down 4-2 to Omaha after 2.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 10:35PM

andyw2100

Shots are 21-8 NoDak at the moment. That's a mighty fine shooting percentage for the Mavs...

Date: January 10, 2020 10:40PM

andyw2100

4-3 w/ about 12 min. to go in the 3rd.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2020 10:55PM

Swampy
andyw2100

4-3 w/ about 12 min. to go in the 3rd.

Audio here:
[fightinghawks.com]

2:35 remaining. Time Out.

Extra attacker as play starts.

ENG - 5-3!

Another ENG. 6-3, 25 seconds left.

And it ends that way! I imagine we should take over first in pairwise.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 11:03PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 11:07PM

andyw2100
I imagine we should take over first in pairwise.

Yep.

Date: January 10, 2020 11:32PM

OSU up on Wisconsin 4-2 with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

Date: January 10, 2020 11:46PM

OSU wins it, 4-2.

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: January 11, 2020 12:09AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
andyw2100
I imagine we should take over first in pairwise.

Yep.

First in Krach as well

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (74.119.160.---)
Date: January 11, 2020 12:25AM

Swampy
Spartans 4 Goofers 1
MSU has #1 SOS using KRACH rankings.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2020 09:26AM

Yale gets blown out 7-0 at MSG in perhaps the largest margins of loss by any team in the conference this season. And BU goes up to Hanover and blows a 3-0 lead within 2 minutes and then a 4-3 lead within 1 minute to wind up with a loss, although one of the BU goals will probably wind up on ESPN.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 09:32AM by Iceberg.

Posted by: 75er (---.mass.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2020 06:45PM

Miami 2 NDak 0 after 1:49 of the first!

Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: January 17, 2020 11:41PM

75er

Ends 4-4. Rankings unlikely to change.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (74.119.160.---)
Date: January 18, 2020 12:06AM

Swampy
75er

Looks like pairwise did. Red #2.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-141.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2020 01:16AM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
75er

Looks like pairwise did. Red #2.

It's a little odd that we tied a better team than the one NDak tied and they passed us, but I suppose our opponents and our opponents' opponents might've had a bad day.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 05:48AM

And Dartmouth beats Clarkson. So we're now 1 point back with 2 games in hand. A little more comfortable.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 06:39AM

We’ve also played a lot fewer games than NoDak, so our tie drops our own winning percentage a bit more than NoDak’s tie drops theirs.

Date: January 18, 2020 10:38AM

Robb
We’ve also played a lot fewer games than NoDak, so our tie drops our own winning percentage a bit more than NoDak’s tie drops theirs.

You also get more credit (these days) for a road tie than a home tie

Date: January 18, 2020 11:50AM

adamw
Robb

You also get more credit (these days) for a road tie than a home tie

As it should be

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-220-16.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2020 11:57AM

Michigan St beat Wisco last night, 4-0. Nice having two wins against the first place team in the Big Ten.

Date: January 18, 2020 01:05PM

JasonN95
Michigan St beat Wisco last night, 4-0. Nice having two wins against the first place team in the Big Ten.

Even better, two road wins

Posted by: andyw2100 (198.199.206.---)
Date: January 18, 2020 09:39PM

North Dakota and Minnesota State both pulled out late come-from-behind wins tonight. (North Dakota went ahead with just over a minute left in the third and then added an empty-netter, and Minnesota State won in OT.)

Date: January 18, 2020 09:45PM

Back to 2 in PWR as the Brownian motion of RPICH continues.

Date: January 18, 2020 09:48PM

Impressive completing our difficult non-league schedule unbeaten

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 10:05PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla
Not really an opponent, well sort of, Feola Named Director of Officiating
I don't know...he's often seemed like an opponent.
a) cheap line, Jeff, and obvious
b) you beat us to it

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-203-22.myvzw.com)
Date: January 24, 2020 06:37PM

ESPN+ has been great in part because of being able to jump to other ECAC contests live or zip through a replay later to check out the highlights. Tonight we get a chance to see Arizona State at Clarkson; I’m looking forward to seeing just how good the independent AZ St is. (Hopefully Clarkson can win for league prestige and PWR bump sake.)

Date: January 24, 2020 09:53PM

Clarkson beats ASU in ot on a nice opportunistic steal and "greasy" goal.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 10:14PM

Trotsky
Clarkson beats ASU in ot on a nice opportunistic steal and "greasy" goal.

And right now they're up to 7 in the PWR with OSU losing to the Goofers in the 3rd.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 10:22PM

Interesting: Tonight in HEA and B10, the PWR favorites went 0-5-1, including losses by #5 BC, #6 OSU, #8 UMass, and #9 PSU. The only favorite not to lose was #49 Merrimack tying #50 UVM.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 10:28PM

UMD leads NoDak 4-3 after 2.

Posted by: KenP (107.77.76.---)
Date: January 24, 2020 10:56PM

Now 5-3 with 11:33 left
Now 6-3 with 8:06 left.
FINAL 7-4 Minnesota-Duluth over NoDak
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 11:53PM by KenP.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 11:34PM

Robb
Interesting: Tonight in HEA and B10, the PWR favorites went 0-5-1, including losses by #5 BC, #6 OSU, #8 UMass, and #9 PSU. The only favorite not to lose was #49 Merrimack tying #50 UVM.

Whale of a game at the low end of PWR. I looked at the box, and UVM lead Merrimack 4-1 midway through the second, MER gets it to 4-4 by the end of the period. UVM goes up a goal in the third and MER ties it up in the last few minutes.

Date: January 25, 2020 12:08AM

Robb
I took a look at the bu - lowell box. saw bu scored 5 in the third period including three on the same major.

Date: January 25, 2020 04:05PM

Not an "opponent," perhaps, but referee Mike Emanatian is retiring due to a bad back. Anybody who dropped the f-bomb on Bill Cleary at 19 is a national hero.

This is a wonderful image; I can imagine it perfectly:

"I will never, ever forget [that first game]," Emanatian said. "I said, 'Well, what do I do?' He said, 'Well, you know what everything is, you've played hockey your whole life. If you see a trip, call a trip. If you see a punch in the head, call it.'

"I remember seeing a kid trip another kid, and I'm like, 'There it is.'

"So I put my arm up. Everybody stopped, and it was like, OK, what do you have? So I pointed to the player, and I'm sure I didn't do that right, and I signaled a trip, which I'm sure was terrible. And the kid went to the box and nobody yelled or said a word, and I think it was that moment I just fell in love with it. I thought, 'Wow, I get to come out here, skate, in the game I love,' and it was really that very first penalty I called in the first game I did that I kind of got hooked on it."

I can imagine that. "Holy shit, they're actually going to listen to me?" Adorable.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 04:11PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 25, 2020 11:09PM

Colgate's pp has reached 4.5%

Posted by: profudge (172.76.231.---)
Date: January 26, 2020 09:36AM

Thanks Trotsky! +1

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.117.---)
Date: January 27, 2020 02:59PM

Sacred Heart isn't our opponent this season, but this seemed like the best place to post this. Not only did Sacred Heart convincingly defeat both Yale and Quinnipiac this past weekend in the first Connecticut Classic, it also announced plans to spend $60 million to build a 4,000-seat hockey arena. Apparently Sacred Heart has realized that men's hockey is the best sport for it become a national contender (just like Q),and is going to go for it big time.

Date: January 27, 2020 03:11PM

That's fascinating. Maybe they could be another SLU -- small, liberal arts Catholic school. I'm all for kicking Q out. Can SHU pull its weight academically?

Posted by: Chris H82 (130.76.24.---)
Date: January 27, 2020 03:32PM

Isn't that a low bar when compared to Q? rolleyes

Date: January 27, 2020 03:38PM

Chris H82
My question was whether SHU belongs in the same cluster with the ECAC in the way that Q (and TBH probably UVM) does not.

I mean, the other way is 16: + SHU, Niagara, RIT, and Canisius. We could also add back Army if we still want to kick out Q (spoiler: we do).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2020 03:39PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.princeton.edu)
Date: January 27, 2020 03:47PM

Trotsky
Chris H82
My question was whether SHU belongs in the same cluster with the ECAC in the way that Q (and TBH probably UVM) does not.

I mean, the other way is 16: + SHU, Niagara, RIT, and Canisius. We could also add back Army if we still want to kick out Q (spoiler: we do).
Why do you guys want to kick Q out? Sorry im new.

Date: January 27, 2020 03:53PM

They don't fit the academic model. No need to be sorry.

Page: Previous1 2 345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login