Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponent News 19-20

Posted by redice 
Page:  1 2345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Opponent News 19-20
Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 09:18PM

Brent Brekke was named Head Coach of the the St Lawrence Men's Ice Hockey team today.... Congrats, Brent!!!

[www.instagram.com]

-Ned Harkness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 09:19PM by redice.

Re: Opponent News 19-20
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2019 11:56PM

redice
Brent Brekke was named Head Coach of the the St Lawrence Men's Ice Hockey team today.... Congrats, Brent!!!

[www.instagram.com]

So we're basically colonizing the North Country. And we've already got Don Vaughan at Colgate, although his time as a Cornell assistant was long ago.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2019 07:26AM

The bonus was St. Lawrence didn't have to pay relocation costs.
Watertown Daily Times
Brekke was already living in Canton while he worked at Clarkson, so he has the bonus of getting his first head coaching job without having to uproot his family to another town.

“I’ve gone through some head coaching interviews over the years, this was the first time I was able to sleep in my own bed the night before the interview,” Brekke said
I was about to say revolving-door tenure at St. Lawrence, three coaches in the last eight seasons. But that's Mark Morris 3 years, Greg Carvel 4 yeas, Joe Marsh in the last of his 26 years.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: June 07, 2019 08:45AM

Not really an opponent, well sort of, Feola Named Director of Officiating

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: June 07, 2019 06:38PM

Jim Hyla

I don't know...he's often seemed like an opponent.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: June 08, 2019 10:44AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla

I would assume that means he won't be reffing ECAC games anymore? To be honest, that's kind of a loss. Better than most.

Still… He'll hopefully bring the rank-and-file back into line and get them to start calling penalties again.

Date: June 08, 2019 11:40AM

Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla

I would assume that means he won't be reffing ECAC games anymore? To be honest, that's kind of a loss. Better than most.

Still… He'll hopefully bring the rank-and-file back into line and get them to start calling penalties again.

I'm of the mindset that I don't prefer to see too many penalties called... Just enough to keep the game under control.. A LOT of penalties ruins the flow of the game and puts far too much emphasis on PK & PP..

That can wear down certain players. Teams like ours, which routinely rolls four lines, is better off staying away from penalty situations (PK or PP).

As I occasionally yell out to the on-ice officials: "I didn't come here to watch YOU!!!"

-Ned Harkness

Date: June 08, 2019 12:41PM

redice
Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla

I'm of the mindset that I don't prefer to see too many penalties called... Just enough to keep the game under control.. A LOT of penalties ruins the flow of the game and puts far too much emphasis on PK & PP..

That can wear down certain players. Teams like ours, which routinely rolls four lines, is better off staying away from penalty situations (PK or PP).

As I occasionally yell out to the on-ice officials: "I didn't come here to watch YOU!!!"

+1 on the last statement

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-20.myvzw.com)
Date: June 08, 2019 12:54PM

Scersk '97
Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla

Feola wasn't the worst, but he had a tendency to ref based on game situation. Don't expect a lot of whistles from him if you're winning.

Date: June 08, 2019 01:11PM

Dafatone
Feola wasn't the worst, but he had a tendency to ref based on game situation. Don't expect a lot of whistles from him if you're winning.

A pet peeve. If it's a penalty when you're behind, it should also be a penalty when you're ahead; similarly, if it's a penalty in the first, it should also be a penalty in the third (or overtime).

To respond a bit upthread, I'd rather prefer to see a lot more penalties called. I think we're faster, more fluid, and more talented than most of the teams we play. The more penalties called, the more room, generally, there will be for us to show off those skills.

Reffing to the score and calling fewer penalties mostly benefits weaker teams.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2019 01:53AM

Not knowing anything "insidery" I really like them picking an ECAC referee for that job. He's going to understand.

Date: June 11, 2019 10:54PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla
You've been waiting to use this line?

Date: June 12, 2019 05:39PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla
You've been waiting to use this line?

Nope. It just came to me spur of the moment.

Date: June 21, 2019 11:10AM

Looks like team 61 is just a matter of time.

Date: June 22, 2019 04:15AM

No NC$$ players in the first round. I don't recall that happening since the 1990s. I guess some (many?) of those USHL guys could be commits.

Edit: yep:
 5 Turcotte, Wisconsin
 9 Zegras, BU
12 Boldy, BC
13 Knight, BC
14 York, Michigan
15 Caulfield, Wisconsin
16 Newhook, BC
30 Beecher, Michigan
31 Johnson, Minnesota

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 04:21AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2019 09:10AM

Looks like Beecher is from Elmira. Bummer

Date: June 22, 2019 09:14AM

CU2007

I spent most of my life in the Elmira area. I was deeply disappointed to hear that he chose Michigan. Perhaps Cornell was too educationally challenging.

Date: June 22, 2019 01:20PM

redice
CU2007

I spent most of my life in the Elmira area. I was deeply disappointed to hear that he chose Michigan. Perhaps Cornell was too educationally challenging.
Maybe he wanted to get outta Dodge.

Date: June 22, 2019 01:25PM

Trotsky
redice
CU2007

Maybe he wanted to get outta Dodge.

You must have heard about Elmira. Most want to get out of that "Dodge". I did, but I remained close enough for Cornell Hockey. That's unlikely to change.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 01:50PM

redice
CU2007

Maybe he found it too financially challenging, given that Michigan gives athletic scholarships.

Also, maybe we shouldn't feel too sorry for not having one of these first-rounders. It seems they don't start to add much value until they spend 2-3 years in the NC$$, at which point they jump to the pros. None of the schools on Trotsky's list even made the NC$$ tourney this year, whereas the only players on our team that went pro were three seniors. Most of this year's team will be back next fall, and hopefully our luck with injuries will be much better (regress towards the mean).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 01:52PM by Swampy.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2019 01:42PM

redice
CU2007

I did my time in Chem E. at both schools. There is nothing that is not challenging about U. M.'s school of engineering. I also felt the positive atmosphere there had a benefit vs. the cutthroat need to get to med school at any cost bullshit that underlied so many of my chemistry courses at Cornell. Michigan also has many grad programs that are considered top 10.

Poison Ivy 101.

Date: June 23, 2019 03:38PM

marty
redice
CU2007

I did my time in Chem E. at both schools. There is nothing that is not challenging about U. M.'s school of engineering. I also felt the positive atmosphere there had a benefit vs. the cutthroat need to get to med school at any cost bullshit that underlied so many of my chemistry courses at Cornell. Michigan also has many grad programs that are considered top 10.

Poison Ivy 101.

What's Beecher's major?

Date: August 09, 2019 04:10AM

Harvard loses a defenseman. They also lost recruits Ryan Del Monte and Cole Shepard who bolted to the CHL.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 04:12AM by Trotsky.

Date: August 09, 2019 11:17AM

Trotsky
Harvard loses a defenseman. They also lost recruits Ryan Del Monte and Cole Shepard who bolted to the CHL.

Interesting decision. He was elected captain for this season and is a 3 time ECAC Hockey All-Academic selection.

It is a two way deal for 2 years.

Date: August 09, 2019 11:50AM

Trotsky

So, two senior D graduations, two junior D departures, and one senior (mostly starting) goalie graduation. They return a sophomore D, a freshman D, and a junior backup (although probably pretty good) goaltender.

Going to be an interesting year in Alston, methinks.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2019 01:49PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Interesting decision. He was elected captain for this season and is a 3 time ECAC Hockey All-Academic selection.

It is a two way deal for 2 years.

His rights had just been traded. I assume his new team had more of a need and offered more.

Date: August 09, 2019 01:51PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

So, two senior D graduations, two junior D departures, and one senior (mostly starting) goalie graduation. They return a sophomore D, a freshman D, and a junior backup (although probably pretty good) goaltender.

On the USCHO Harvard thread they're already calling it a rebuilding year, and that thread is typically like a Redskins fan whose only question is how many points they'll win the NFC title game by. B-]

I never trust Harvard to suck, but if they do that's one less thing to worry about.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 01:52PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: August 09, 2019 03:26PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

On the USCHO Harvard thread they're already calling it a rebuilding year, and that thread is typically like a Redskins fan whose only question is how many points they'll win the NFC title game by. B-]

I never trust Harvard to suck, but if they do that's one less thing to worry about.
Good news is they are guaranteed to finish no worse than 4th place in the 2020 Beanpot.

Date: August 09, 2019 03:54PM

KenP
Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

Good news is they are guaranteed to finish no worse than 4th place in the 2020 Beanpot.

3rd.

Harvard can always be depended upon in an consolation game.

Posted by: RichH (38.99.108.---)
Date: August 09, 2019 04:12PM

KenP
Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

There’s a non-zero chance of another cheating/academic scandal (as in 2013) and enough players get kicked out this time to cancel the season.

A man can dream, can’t I?

Date: August 09, 2019 08:21PM

RichH
KenP
Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

There’s a non-zero chance of another cheating/academic scandal (as in 2013) and enough players get kicked out this time to cancel the season.

A man can dream, can’t I?

You want scandal? It's not hockey, but take a look at the logo on Jeffrey Epstein's chest on today's (Aug 9) Huffington Post. I think it says something like Ve-Ri-Tas.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2019 08:38PM

Trotsky

What a shame!

Date: August 09, 2019 10:21PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
You want scandal? It's not hockey, but take a look at the logo on Jeffrey Epstein's chest on today's (Aug 9) Huffington Post. I think it says something like Ve-Ri-Tas.
It was a JDate profile photo and was supposed to say Ve-Ri-Tasty.

Date: August 10, 2019 11:59AM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

I assume you meant "They return a sophomore G, a freshman G, and a senior backup (although probably pretty good) goaltender.

I think they're okay in starting goalie, Gornet is pretty good. But it seems back-up is the question.

With 5 returning D, they played a total of 76 games in the 33 games season. Walsh and Rathbone with 33 each. So combined 10 games for the other 3.

The 3 entering freshmen are all well thought of, but obviously they need to prove themselves at this level.

Only having 2 D with any reasonable experience will at least make a difficult early season.

With the young D, they have to hope that Gornet, whom I'd suspect would have to start in the beginning of the season, keeps them in the early games.

After that you never know how young players will evolve.

Edit: They still list Marino as a captain, along with Krusko. I'd assume they will pick 1 or 2 assistant captains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 12:01PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: August 10, 2019 10:45PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
It was a JDate profile photo and was supposed to say Ve-Ri-Tasty.

I assume you mis-typed Jr-date.

Or maybe it was Freshman-date.

yark

Date: August 12, 2019 07:36AM

After two seasons, Union’s Morgan leaves Dutchmen for pro deal with EIHL’s Giants

"Last season, Morgan scored 14 goals among 26 points in 38 games. He was set to be the top returning scorer for Union in 2019-20."

So this means they lose 5 of top 7 scorers from last year, who combined for 57/78 goals and 132/177 points. And another returning player, Adams, 10/22, tore both anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments this summer.

Looks like scoring may be tough, at least in early season.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2019 08:21AM

Jim Hyla
After two seasons, Union’s Morgan leaves Dutchmen for pro deal with EIHL’s Giants

"Last season, Morgan scored 14 goals among 26 points in 38 games. He was set to be the top returning scorer for Union in 2019-20."

So this means they lose 5 of top 7 scorers from last year, who combined for 57/78 goals and 132/177 points. And another returning player, Adams, 10/22, tore both anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments this summer.

Union posted their incoming class last week. On paper, not a great group.

Date: August 12, 2019 09:27AM

scoop85
Jim Hyla

Union posted their incoming class last week. On paper, not a great group.

Not a great group with not a great coach at not a great rink. On paper I'm looking forward to holding up a newspaper at my next visit.

Date: August 12, 2019 02:14PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 02:32PM by Trotsky.

Date: August 12, 2019 02:29PM

Neutral Zone's ranking of the ECAC incoming classes, average and number:

4.07  7 Harvard
3.82  7 Princeton
3.79  7 Yale
3.78 10 Quinnipiac
3.75  9 Cornell
3.71  7 Colgate
3.70 10 Brown
3.69  8 RPI
3.68  7 St. Lawrence
3.67  6 Clarkson
3.63 12 Union
3.50  6 Dartmouth

Date: August 12, 2019 04:12PM

Trotsky

4.07  7 Harvard
3.82  7 Princeton
3.79  7 Yale
3.78 10 Quinnipiac
3.75  9 Cornell
3.71  7 Colgate
3.70 10 Brown
3.69  8 RPI
3.68  7 St. Lawrence
3.67  6 Clarkson
3.63 12 Union
3.50  6 Dartmouth

A 4.07 for Harvard freshmen. This calls for a punchline.

Date: August 12, 2019 04:16PM

billhoward
Some jokes write themselves.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2019 01:25AM

IMO, Neutral Zone overemphasizes quantity compared to quality. Also there are some errors in who is included although this has improved as the season progressed. E.g., for RPI, Simon Kjellberg is missing. For Cornell, they include Berard, B. Tupker, Malone, Stienburg, Muzyka, Malinski, Dirven, Mitchell, and Z. Tupker. (Ordered by given name.)

Date: August 13, 2019 09:14AM

ursusminor
IMO, Neutral Zone overemphasizes quantity compared to quality.
That's why I re-ordered them by mean rating, not total points.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 09:16AM by Trotsky.

Date: August 13, 2019 11:31AM

Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
Trotsky

I assume you meant "They return a sophomore G, a freshman G, and a senior backup (although probably pretty good) goaltender.

No, I meant what I wrote, but you got the gist.

Date: August 13, 2019 12:25PM

billhoward
Trotsky

4.07  7 Harvard
3.82  7 Princeton
3.79  7 Yale
3.78 10 Quinnipiac
3.75  9 Cornell
3.71  7 Colgate
3.70 10 Brown
3.69  8 RPI
3.68  7 St. Lawrence
3.67  6 Clarkson
3.63 12 Union
3.50  6 Dartmouth

To help interpret these scores, note that BC has the highest average at 4.28. Harvard's score is closer to BC's than to ours. In fact, the rest of the ECACHL is pretty closely clustered between Princeton's 3.82 and Union's 3.63.

Date: August 13, 2019 01:01PM

Swampy
billhoward
Trotsky

4.07  7 Harvard
3.82  7 Princeton
3.79  7 Yale
3.78 10 Quinnipiac
3.75  9 Cornell
3.71  7 Colgate
3.70 10 Brown
3.69  8 RPI
3.68  7 St. Lawrence
3.67  6 Clarkson
3.63 12 Union
3.50  6 Dartmouth

To help interpret these scores, note that BC has the highest average at 4.28. Harvard's score is closer to BC's than to ours. In fact, the rest of the ECACHL is pretty closely clustered between Princeton's 3.82 and Union's 3.63.

So statistically it probably means that it's a lousy system, since it doesn't differentiate the classes that well. Albeit I don't know the real stats of their system.

Date: August 13, 2019 01:43PM

Jim Hyla
Swampy
billhoward
Trotsky

4.07  7 Harvard
3.82  7 Princeton
3.79  7 Yale
3.78 10 Quinnipiac
3.75  9 Cornell
3.71  7 Colgate
3.70 10 Brown
3.69  8 RPI
3.68  7 St. Lawrence
3.67  6 Clarkson
3.63 12 Union
3.50  6 Dartmouth

So statistically it probably means that it's a lousy system, since it doesn't differentiate the classes that well. Albeit I don't know the real stats of their system.

Or the ECAC tends to sit in the middle of a normal distribution of talent for D-1, which seems reasonable to me.

Posted by: coz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2019 04:21AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Or the ECAC tends to sit in the middle of a normal distribution of talent for D-1, which seems reasonable to me.

I would guess it tends to fall somewhere in the middle of those 2, just like it does in football or basketball rankings.

Date: August 14, 2019 09:36AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Swampy
billhoward
Trotsky

4.07  7 Harvard
3.82  7 Princeton
3.79  7 Yale
3.78 10 Quinnipiac
3.75  9 Cornell
3.71  7 Colgate
3.70 10 Brown
3.69  8 RPI
3.68  7 St. Lawrence
3.67  6 Clarkson
3.63 12 Union
3.50  6 Dartmouth

I'd hypothesize that the ECAC has its own normal distribution of talent, whose mean may differ from those of other conferences. Its variance seems rather narrow. Irrespective of what individual conference distributions are, the Central Limit Theorem implies that D-1 is also normally distributed. But without having more information, it's hard to tell where the ECAC lies compared to the rest of D-1.

Date: August 14, 2019 12:12PM

Swampy
But without having more information, it's hard to tell where the ECAC lies compared to the rest of D-1.
The more information is the interconference records, which suggests the conference talent means are ordered NCHC, HE, B1G, ECAC, WCHA, AH.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-11.myvzw.com)
Date: August 14, 2019 12:27PM

Trotsky
Swampy
But without having more information, it's hard to tell where the ECAC lies compared to the rest of D-1.
The more information is the interconference records, which suggests the conference talent means are ordered NCHC, HE, B1G, ECAC, WCHA, AH.

Of course the issue of talent vs. ability comes into play in that the BC’s and BU’s of the world get multiple blue chip recruits who are 17 years old (and presumably top ranked) and then lose to a bunch of 23 years old mostly after thoughts on Quinnipiac.

Date: August 14, 2019 02:20PM

CU2007
Trotsky
Swampy

Of course the issue of talent vs. ability comes into play in that the BC’s and BU’s of the world get multiple blue chip recruits who are 17 years old (and presumably top ranked) and then lose to a bunch of 23 years old mostly after thoughts on Quinnipiac.
This is true. Also, prospect rankings are warped by statistical factors such as the Bostonian Head Firmly Inserted within Anus Transform, which translates all prospects from within 30 miles of Brookline High School one full star higher than they deserve.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2019 02:20PM by Trotsky.

Date: August 18, 2019 12:36AM

So, I was beginning to write up my TBRW Predictions for 2019-20 and in doing the Returning Awardees I noticed that every one of the 9 ECAC Awardees (All-ECAC, POTY, ROTY) has either graduated or signed except for Morgan Barron, Harvard ROTY D Casey Dornbach, and Quinnipiac All-ECAC D Chase Priskie.

Just to make sure, I googled Priskie.

He signed yesterday.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2019 12:38AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 06:34AM

Trotsky
So, I was beginning to write up my TBRW Predictions for 2019-20 and in doing the Returning Awardees I noticed that every one of the 9 ECAC Awardees (All-ECAC, POTY, ROTY) has either graduated or signed except for Morgan Barron, Harvard ROTY D Casey Dornbach, and Quinnipiac All-ECAC D Chase Priskie.

He signed yesterday.
are you sure he didn’t graduate?

Pirskie, listed at 5-11 and 192 pounds, finished with 116 career points (39 goals, 77 assists) in 154 collegiate games in four seasons and served as Quinnipiac’s captain in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2019 08:17AM

KenP
Trotsky

He signed yesterday.

Pirskie, listed at 5-11 and 192 pounds, finished with 116 career points (39 goals, 77 assists) in 154 collegiate games in four seasons and served as Quinnipiac’s captain in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

Priskie was a senior last year

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-19.myvzw.com)
Date: August 19, 2019 01:37PM

scoop85
KenP
Trotsky

He signed yesterday.

Yes, but did he graduate?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2019 03:18PM

marty
scoop85
KenP
Trotsky

He signed yesterday.

That I do not know, which is why I said only that he was a senior last year.

Date: August 19, 2019 03:24PM

OK, thanks.

In any case, Morgan is the only non-frosh awardee to return.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 06:02PM

The class of 2019 in the ECAC had a lot of great players, including guys that left early (like Angello and Donato). I've been meaning to look at the numbers of the more notable players but haven't gotten around to it.

Date: August 19, 2019 07:24PM

scoop85
marty
scoop85
KenP
Trotsky

He signed yesterday.

I was kidding... but the graduation hurdle at Q is likely a bit lower than for the ECAC as a whole so my money says he made it.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-17.myvzw.com)
Date: August 20, 2019 12:27PM

marty
scoop85
marty
scoop85
KenP
Trotsky

He signed yesterday.

I was kidding... but the graduation hurdle at Q is likely a bit lower than for the ECAC as a whole so my money says he made it.

I believe it involves two fingers placed firmly on the inner wrist or just below the jaw line.

Date: August 22, 2019 08:41AM

Colgate away tickets on sale.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2019 11:41PM

Trotsky
Looks like team 61 is just a matter of time.
Chicago Tribune picks up the story
Tribune
Nationally, Illinois produces the fourth-most college hockey players behind Minnesota, Michigan and Massachusetts, but it is the only state among that group without a Division I program.

Date: August 23, 2019 08:17AM

David Harding
Tribune
Nationally, Illinois produces the fourth-most college hockey players behind Minnesota, Michigan and Massachusetts, but it is the only state among that group without a Division I program.

That seems... really hard to believe. New York? Wisconsin?

Date: August 23, 2019 10:36AM

Trotsky
David Harding
Tribune

How many college hockey players have you seen from NYC? Upstate always has a few, but if I remember correctly, the Chicago area does a lot.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-1.myvzw.com)
Date: August 23, 2019 10:50AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
David Harding
Tribune

How many college hockey players have you seen from NYC? Upstate always has a few, but if I remember correctly, the Chicago area does a lot.

Tons of good players from Long Island

Posted by: osorojo (72.239.229.---)
Date: September 30, 2019 10:53AM

Heresy perhaps, but is there a site which rates coaching staffs or coaches of D-1 ECAC men's hockey teams, something beyond W-L? Yeah, it would be quite subjective, just like rating hockey players.

Date: September 30, 2019 12:34PM

Since sports ahem "journalism" is Access Journalism I doubt anybody in media would risk doing that. The relationship between sports media and the coaches, SIDs, and ADs is one of deep and continuous fellatio.

Date: September 30, 2019 02:55PM

Trotsky
Since sports ahem "journalism" is Access Journalism I doubt anybody in media would risk doing that. The relationship between sports media and the coaches, SIDs, and ADs is one of deep and continuous fellatio.

What a sexist comment!

There are female ADs and coaches (probably). banana

Date: September 30, 2019 03:33PM

Trotsky
Since sports ahem "journalism" is Access Journalism I doubt anybody in media would risk doing that. The relationship between sports media and the coaches, SIDs, and ADs is one of deep and continuous fellatio &/or cunnilingus.

FYP

Date: September 30, 2019 04:31PM

Swampy
Trotsky
Since sports ahem "journalism" is Access Journalism I doubt anybody in media would risk doing that. The relationship between sports media and the coaches, SIDs, and ADs is one of deep and continuous fellatio &/or cunnilingus.

FYP
Thanks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates that.

Date: September 30, 2019 06:54PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Trotsky

FYP
Thanks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates that.

Much better!

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2019 12:00PM

RPI plays Brock University this weekend. I thought that some posters might find this Rensselaer-Brock history interesting. I do wonder what RPI's coach who is Canadian and the Canadian players will think.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: October 01, 2019 02:28PM

ursusminor
RPI plays Brock University this weekend. I thought that some posters might find this Rensselaer-Brock history interesting. I do wonder what RPI's coach who is Canadian and the Canadian players will think.

Rensselaer-Brock History
He (Van Rensselaer) labored under several handicaps, notably the fact that some of the regular army officers under his command...simply refused to cooperate with him. Even worse, when the initial attack faltered and the commander tried to send reinforcements, many of the militia troops under his command refused to obey... based on the ground that the Constitution only required them to defend the territory within the boundaries of the United States, not to cross the boundary and take action on the other side.

Perhaps this explains oft missing-in-action offense of the Engineers.bolt

Posted by: osorojo (72.239.229.---)
Date: October 02, 2019 01:26PM

Ned Harkness managed to muster a decent offense at RPI?

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: October 02, 2019 01:47PM

osorojo
Ned Harkness managed to muster a decent offense at RPI?

Well there's the Mike Adessa story too, but neither was a fan of history AFAIK. AIDNKAARPI.

Date: October 09, 2019 09:46AM

Harvard gets commitment from ‘world-class player,’ NTDP standout Beniers

It's for next year and he does need to show that he can do it in college, but if he stays for more than 1 year, it could be bad for the rest of us.

Date: October 09, 2019 10:18AM

Harvard's been able to do this sporadically. Donato has never shown the ability to get the most out of these players, so if he winds up expending quality ice time on a guy who leaves after a couple years and thus thwarts the development of the rest of his guys, great.

Give me 3 6th rounders over 1 first rounder.

Posted by: marty (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2019 10:22AM

Jim Hyla

It's for next year and he does need to show that he can do it in college, but if he stays for more than 1 year, it could be bad for the rest of us.

“He’s got a chance to be a world-class player, not just a good player,’’ says Seth Appert,

stupid

Date: October 29, 2019 02:04PM

Fun stat on how far behind the Ivies start with the late start. Providence's Jack Dugan, who got an assist in our NC$$ QF last year, already has 14 points this season.

Date: October 29, 2019 02:08PM

Jim Hyla

Jason mentioned on the USNDT pregame that both Berniers' parents went to Cornell.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-9.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2019 03:44PM

Looking at the Ticketmaster page for Red Hot Hockey, it appears as though BU has barely sold a ticket on their side of the arena. There’s a map function where you can pick specific seats and there are thousands and thousands available. Strange considering the BU games at MSG have all been very well attended by both fan bases in the past.

Date: November 17, 2019 01:52AM

Comment by a Union fan during their game sums up their season so far:

I don't think you are supposed to do a line change when the puck is in your own end

Date: November 19, 2019 08:11PM

St. Lawrence Pushes Back Return to Appleton to January

Date: November 22, 2019 10:26PM

Apparently Harvard goalie Mitchell Gibson was injured in tonight's game.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.mobility.exede.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 10:40PM

Two Union sophomores are leaving the team.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Date: November 22, 2019 11:15PM

Trotsky

It looked like a simple butterfly move to make a save. He did look in pain as he was helped off the ice.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (222.165.149.---)
Date: November 23, 2019 04:35AM

marty
Trotsky

It looked like a simple butterfly move to make a save. He did look in pain as he was helped off the ice.

Sounds like a groin. Not good for him.

Date: November 23, 2019 05:05AM

Anybody remember when UVM left the ECAC to improve their program?

Posted by: Rita (---.ftmy.qwest.net)
Date: November 23, 2019 09:05AM

Trotsky

yes. and I remember that line Perrin, Reid(?) and St. Louis. they were so damn quick.
and they there was the hazing scandal.......

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 23, 2019 11:34AM

Soon the Cambridge-Boston streets & roads will devolve into a permanent Gordian Gridlock and Boston-area athletes will have to walk to the airport carrying their hockey gear. The armada of corporate helicopters will preclude escape by air for lowly college-level athletes. Wait and see.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2019 12:15PM

Trotsky

An elephant never forgets.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (222.165.149.---)
Date: November 23, 2019 06:18PM

French Rage
Trotsky

An elephant never forgets.

+1

Date: November 23, 2019 09:53PM

Watched the last part of the QU-Colgate game tonight. Colgate’s got some jam on offense.

Quinnipiac? Best chances came on the power play, particularly one after a dive in the early 3rd.

Posted by: profudge (172.78.128.---)
Date: November 23, 2019 11:02PM

And Michigan State takes down #3 Notre Dame 3-2 today!!

Date: November 25, 2019 06:59PM

Not opponents, but check out the #1 USCHO Play of the Week.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2019 10:12PM

Jim Hyla

Are you pointing this out because that goal was scored off a stick quite a bit higher than our 2003 frozen four no-goal?

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2019 12:35AM

I was thinking something very similar.

Date: November 26, 2019 06:51AM

andyw2100
Jim Hyla

Are you pointing this out because that goal was scored off a stick quite a bit higher than our 2003 frozen four no-goal?

If only......

Page:  1 2345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login