Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - Northeastern

Posted by ugarte 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell - Northeastern
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 01:56PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
Trying to understand the “logic” behind how the powers that be assign block seating.

As a Cornell fan, I usually try to sit — maybe optimistically — by the blueline of the end we’ll be attacking for two of the three periods. But yesterday, at the Dunk, Cornell block seating (including the band) was at the end Cornell was defending for 2/3 of the game.

What explains this? Is there some hockey logic to it? Is it some quaint Rhode Island custom, like coffee milk and bubblas? Cluelessness?

Can we get Cornell Athletics to inform our hosts that our team intends to spend most of the game in its offensive zone, and our fans want to sit there so as to cheer their team on and not be bored?

Inquiring minds (with too much time on their hands) want to know.
What was strange was lower-seeded Providence shooting twice at the end where higher-seeded Northeastern shot. Benches were reversed in terms of seeding, too. Cornell had the Mankato bench. Entrances to the ice from locker rooms also reversed.

Maybe Providence was given the locker room used by Friar basketball that plays st the Dunk.

Home team gets the choice of which bench it wants. I expect we'll be in the same one today as we were yesterday, as we normally take the left bench (from the prospective of the players facing the ice).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 02:01PM

jkahn
Al DeFlorio
Swampy
Trying to understand the “logic” behind how the powers that be assign block seating.

As a Cornell fan, I usually try to sit — maybe optimistically — by the blueline of the end we’ll be attacking for two of the three periods. But yesterday, at the Dunk, Cornell block seating (including the band) was at the end Cornell was defending for 2/3 of the game.

What explains this? Is there some hockey logic to it? Is it some quaint Rhode Island custom, like coffee milk and bubblas? Cluelessness?

Can we get Cornell Athletics to inform our hosts that our team intends to spend most of the game in its offensive zone, and our fans want to sit there so as to cheer their team on and not be bored?

Inquiring minds (with too much time on their hands) want to know.
What was strange was lower-seeded Providence shooting twice at the end where higher-seeded Northeastern shot. Benches were reversed in terms of seeding, too. Cornell had the Mankato bench. Entrances to the ice from locker rooms also reversed.

Maybe Providence was given the locker room used by Friar basketball that plays st the Dunk.

Home team gets the choice of which bench it wants. I expect we'll be in the same one today as we were yesterday, as we normally take the left bench (from the prospective of the players facing the ice).

Yes, but I just wish our band could be on our (fans) side.

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 03:28PM

marty
Robb
For the umpteenth time, Providence was not the host.

And that is the point. Twice they have been given the host perk even though they refuse to host.
Of course they have. Attendance! No way is a team going to be sent to a far-away site in order to reduce attendance of their fans.

That said, dumping the regionals in favor of the higher seed hosting at home for the first two rounds works for me.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: March 31, 2019 03:45PM

upprdeck
Even the on Syracuse center sets 6k and would probably work.

The NCAA S(H)IT—I like it!

Posted by: RichH (159.192.220.---)
Date: March 31, 2019 04:17PM

Jim Hyla

I agree that "no chance" is incorrect. However I'm still not sure what you mean by 'The home ice effect is minimized once you get this far, I think.'

Multiple things:

1) Teams in this tournament are good. Good enough to be able to overcome having a large number of opposing fans in the building. Good enough to focus on playing and not being scared of what Maw n Paw Pawtucket might do. I know we all think we're the bees buzzing that can control the game, but truly good teams can indeed play through that.

2) These are bigger & more muted atmospheres than the smaller, frantic barns teams play in all year. Yeah, there will be energy ebb/flows, but that crowd energy is mostly a reaction to what has happened on the ice, especially in more sterile environments such as these regional caverns.

3) Everyone says "Providence is playing a home game," but they aren't playing in Schneider Arena. They don't have much of what comes with "home ice advantage." Things like intimately knowing the seams, corners, and board liveliness. How the ice plays. Being in the same locker room you permanently have a spot in.

For these reasons, I believe a home-ice advantage is minimized. Not eliminated, but minimized.

My point is that it's not fair to give a #4 seed the home ice advantage. That's all.

Fine. Placement and seeding are rarely completely fair, especially since we have no control of the $$$ interest. I guess I've internalized this after all these years. At least there wasn't a big screw-job when it comes to flipping seeds than most other years.

As to your comment that you 'hope (I) don't get hurt from all that "electricity" tonight.', well I don't see what that has to do with your argument. If you meant it to be snarky, so be it.

Yeah, it was snarky, but not personal. I'm like that whenever I read about people putting too much into things like "intangibles," "clubhouse chemistry," "desire," "not giving up," "Jebus was on our side," etc.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2019 04:24PM by RichH.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 10:59PM

upprdeck
from last years notes:

Fairfield University and Yale University will co-host the 2018 Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Regional at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport. The two schools also brought the regional to the state of Connecticut in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014

no idea if 2 schools that both could qualify could do it.. but Syracuse/Cornell could do one or Cornell/UB/Buf St?

A while back "the ECAC" hosted a regional if I remember correctly. Makes me think the conferences should just host. Three eastern leagues rotate the job for the east and northeast every year and the three western leagues host west and Midwest. Place the autobids in those regionals as "the reward".

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2019 11:12AM

Chris '03
upprdeck
from last years notes:

Fairfield University and Yale University will co-host the 2018 Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Regional at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport. The two schools also brought the regional to the state of Connecticut in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014

no idea if 2 schools that both could qualify could do it.. but Syracuse/Cornell could do one or Cornell/UB/Buf St?

A while back "the ECAC" hosted a regional if I remember correctly. Makes me think the conferences should just host. Three eastern leagues rotate the job for the east and northeast every year and the three western leagues host west and Midwest. Place the autobids in those regionals as "the reward".

I think the 2010 Albany Regional was hosted by the ECAC rather than RPI which had hosted prior Albany NCAA hockey Regionals and Finals.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 01, 2019 11:25AM

The 2016 regional in Albany was also hosted by the ECAC. Of course, Q was the 1 seed in the regional that year. And Yale was also in that regional. The other two teams, UMass Lowell and RIT, were no more than a 4-hour trip by bus

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login