Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC QF Game 3: Cornell 4 Union 2

Posted by andyw2100 
ECAC QF Game 3: Cornell 4 Union 2
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2019 10:04PM

Trotsky
andyw2100
Trotsky
Somebody else please do the game threads from now on. I have a shitty record. :-/

Not promising to start all of them, but if this works, I'll start the next one. :)
It worked.

Yes it did. Hence this thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2019 07:08PM by andyw2100.

Re: ECAC QF Game 3: Union vs. Cornell (4:00 PM Start)
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 08:55AM

having played union 4 times.. 4-0, 4-1, 2-3. 4-0

5t time this yr really controlled them 4 times.. have to do it one more,

got sloppy 2-3 times last night and it could have led to a couple for Union, which is how they won Friday.

we need to put home a few more chances, even last night we turned a 7-2 type game into 2-0 until late,

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 10:49AM

In post game interviews the Union coach said he hopes the chippiness continues today. Typical.rolleyes

Date: March 17, 2019 11:07AM

TimV
In post game interviews the Union coach said he hopes the chippiness continues today. Typical.rolleyes

What a shocker...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 11:32AM

TimV
It was clearly their intention to lure us into exchanges to get to 4-on-4 and to remove some of our better players. Mitch had people hacking him all night while Cam was wearing guys inside his sweater.

I mean, I remember a certain team in red who used to do that when they were overmatched, so let's not get too holier than thou. It's kinda fun to be the team whose rhythm is the bigger threat, now.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-150.myvzw.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 11:37AM

Trotsky
TimV
It was clearly their intention to lure us into exchanges to get to 4-on-4 and to remove some of our better players. Mitch had people hacking him all night while Cam was wearing guys inside his sweater.

I mean, I remember a certain team in red who used to do that when they were overmatched, so let's not get too holier than thou. It's kinda fun to be the team whose rhythm is the bigger threat, now.

I'm just annoyed at the matching minors we picked up for getting punched.

Date: March 17, 2019 11:42AM

Dafatone
Trotsky
TimV

That was one of those "just clear the ice to stop the bullshit" things that refs do when they've had enough. They can read the on ice situation better than I can, so I guess they know what they're doing. It does seem unfair, though.

As chippy as UC was being Malott has his moments, too. I dunno if they were all retaliatory. While I appreciate Mitch throwing himself into situations to stick up for his guys and be captainy I don't want to see him in the box and I'm always terrified there will be a freak fall or something.

Date: March 17, 2019 11:45AM

BTW, anybody else think that Beau disappeared last night? I don't know if I was being inattentive or he was being contained brilliantly by Union, but I didn't see him doing much at all.

My god, Barron, though! I hope the Rangers didn't have a scout at last night's game, cuz he'd have picked up the phone and told Quinn "he's ready."

That was one of the most complete games I've seen a Cornellian play since Greening and Riley.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2019 11:46AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 11:54AM

the list of guys not worth swapping out for vidmar is not that long but i do like having mullin on the ice

Date: March 17, 2019 12:01PM

ugarte
the list of guys not worth swapping out for vidmar is not that long but i do like having mullin on the ice
Yeah, I really wondered about the wisdom of using one of their best guys as a suicide bomber. Emelifeonwu's on that roster for a reason.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 12:46PM

Dafatone

Except when AMegaPhune got the minor and the misconduct with Leahy just getting the 10.

Date: March 17, 2019 03:36PM

Same lineups as last night.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 06:49PM

Congrats Big Red with the win.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-18.myvzw.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 06:50PM

yesssssss

up to 12 in the pairwise, so, on the right side of the bubble

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2019 06:51PM by ugarte.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 06:58PM

Congrats to andyw2100 for starting two successful game threads!

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 06:58PM

ugarte
yesssssss

Union was at 16 I believe before the game. I wonder if they had won if they would have leaped past Cornell. That would have been rough.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 06:59PM

JasonN95
ugarte
yesssssss

Union was at 16 I believe before the game. I wonder if they had won if they would have leaped past Cornell. That would have been rough.

My guess is yes, though it would have been very close.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 07:07PM

Dafatone
JasonN95
ugarte
yesssssss

Also scary was that Penn State upset Ohio State, so there's one less at-large slot available.

Date: March 17, 2019 07:08PM

KenP
Congrats to andyw2100 for starting two successful game threads!
I officially retire.

To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.

Re: ECAC QF Game 3: Cornell 4 Union 2
Posted by: Dutchman (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2019 07:10PM

Congrats on a great series. You deserved all the wins. The better team is moving on. Good luck going forward and especially the NCAA's.

Posted by: BMac (107.77.109.---)
Date: March 17, 2019 07:11PM

Andyw why don’t you go ahead and make the game thread for the SF now, hmm?

Date: March 17, 2019 07:12PM

BMac
Andyw why don’t you go ahead and make the game thread for the SF now, hmm?

+1

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: March 17, 2019 07:15PM

I would agree, but your boys put up a hell of a fight. Thanks, Dutchman.

Date: March 17, 2019 07:17PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone
JasonN95
ugarte
yesssssss

Also scary was that Penn State upset Ohio State, so there's one less at-large slot available.

The Big10 Final is Penn State vs Notre Dame. ND is 15 and PSU is 16. They're very close, so the winner of that conference will be 15+. If we lose to Brown, the winner might pass us. Would have been nice for Ohio State to win it.

BC and Providence are currently tied in the 3rd. It'd be really nice for Providence to lose (and then for either Northeastern or UMass to win that conference).

Date: March 17, 2019 07:24PM

Dafatone
Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone
JasonN95
ugarte
yesssssss

The Big10 Final is Penn State vs Notre Dame. ND is 15 and PSU is 16. They're very close, so the winner of that conference will be 15+. If we lose to Brown, the winner might pass us. Would have been nice for Ohio State to win it.

BC and Providence are currently tied in the 3rd. It'd be really nice for Providence to lose (and then for either Northeastern or UMass to win that conference).

I'm rooting for Notre Dame. Better chance of us ending up in Allentown.

And BC now leading PC 2-1 with 7 minutes left.

Edit: And down goes Providence! Literally. They drop to 14.

And we're up to 11!
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2019 07:41PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: March 17, 2019 08:37PM

the big question is what it takes to stay above 15..

nd/psu one will lose
wmu should lose
Bowling green should lose

prov done playing
lowell done
union done
n dak done
minn done

if we beat brown we should be solid
if we lose can 2 of those teams catch us without winning too

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 09:22PM

Dutchman
Congrats on a great series. You deserved all the wins. The better team is moving on. Good luck going forward and especially the NCAA's.

Dutchman, tonight on USCHO Forum
...unless Cornell can bring their refs from Ithaca.

Fuggin' hypocrite...moon

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.apn.wlan.upenn.edu)
Date: March 18, 2019 02:03AM

TimV
Dutchman

Dutchman, tonight on USCHO Forum
...unless Cornell can bring their refs from Ithaca.

Fuggin' hypocrite...moon

Someone had to keep an eye on them. From the Times Union: "When asked if he thought the chippiness could spill over into Sunday, Bennett said, "I hope so." "
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 02:04AM by BigRedHockeyFan.

Date: March 18, 2019 07:12AM

not sure how to complain about the refs. penalties were almost even. they really let the game get out of control late though with union really taking liberty with stuff the last 5-10 min.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:18AM

Times Union
Union, though, did have a right to be scratching their heads a little bit. The penalty to Foo was originally called a two-minute minor penalty and he was sent to the penalty box.

Then, referees decided to review the film of the tape. After doing that, they changed the penalty to a major.

Another questionable call came when Dutchmen defenseman Brandon Estes was whistled off for embellishment at 2:29 of the third period. He went to the box as did Cornell's Morgan Barron for roughing. Union would have had a power-play for 1:54 after Foo got released from his penalty.

"Let's just say, and I am not referring to people who officiate ... I just thought our team was battling a force ... that ... I feel bad for our guys," Bennett said. "And I will leave it at that."

Aside from the typo "the film of the tape", the best part is Bennett trying not to say the officials stole the game from Union. However he just can't quite keep his mouth shut.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2019 10:56AM

listening to his pre game on the radio he doesnt come across very well.

What was the complaint about the knee penalty call? not that it was wrong or that they reviewed it?

Union got away with a ton.. even when the game was almost over, I forget who they tripped at center ice, but then when that player was trying to get over the wall on a line change they went over and tried to check him from behind over the boards too..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 11:11AM

upprdeck

What was the complaint about the knee penalty call? not that it was wrong or that they reviewed it?

Union got away with a ton.. even when the game was almost over, I forget who they tripped at center ice, but then when that player was trying to get over the wall on a line change they went over and tried to check him from behind over the boards too..
It was Early Stage Gaudet. The theory is you knock the shit outta the better team to get them off their game and into Hulk Mode. You bring them down to your level. We did the same thing in 1987. It's the last refuge of the desperate.

I do not like Bennett -- he seems like a punk. But he did win it all, playing a really interesting style with a team that wasn't overwhelming with its talent, so he has cred. He may also just happen to be an asshole.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2019 11:46AM

he even dissed his goalie who was the only reason there was a game 3.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2019 11:53AM

Trotsky
upprdeck

It was Early Stage Gaudet. The theory is you knock the shit outta the better team to get them off their game and into Hulk Mode. You bring them down to your level. We did the same thing in 1987. It's the last refuge of the desperate.

I do not like Bennett -- he seems like a punk. But he did win it all, playing a really interesting style with a team that wasn't overwhelming with its talent, so he has cred. He may also just happen to be an asshole.

He also looks a bit like a monster out of a Ray Harryhausen movie.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 01:15PM

......or a scoundrel.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:18PM

upprdeck

Honestly, I wasn't completely sold on the 5 minutes on the knee hit. Wasn't a BAD call, certainly, but I was a little surprised we got it. Then again, Vidmar should have been sitting for game 3 because of the punches he threw Saturday night.

Union displayed an impressive amount of goonery.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:38PM

Dafatone
Honestly, I wasn't completely sold on the 5 minutes on the knee hit. Wasn't a BAD call, certainly, but I was a little surprised we got it.
I wasn't until the slow mo replay. Then it seemed to me that Foo put his leg out there on purpose. If that's not intent to injure then it's at least being heedless of whether he does or not, and fuck that noise.

I think he deserved a big ol' DQ.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:40PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
upprdeck

This is perfect. He really does move in stop motion.

Date: March 18, 2019 03:23PM

upprdeck
not sure how to complain about the refs. penalties were almost even. they really let the game get out of control late though with union really taking liberty with stuff the last 5-10 min.

I'd say the embellishment call is, perhaps, the one against Union that the refs didn't have to call. But there were so many little BS "goonery" things that went uncalled against Union that Bennett has no reason to complain. There was one with Mallott (I think) and someone on Union where our player was definitely the less at fault, and where taking both involved players would have been fine. But as the two were tangling, our guy was jumped from behind, and taken down to the ice by a third player. And somehow that resulted in a minor penalty for each team!

There was also a really late cross-check to the head, after the whistle, that went uncalled.

Earlier in the game a small child sitting in C, who had generally been surprisingly loud and vocal for a small child, yelled out, in a voice that sounded like a six-year old girl's, (but looking later, may have been an eight-ish year old boy's)--"You're screwing us again, ref." I found that highly amusing!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 04:44PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Honestly, I wasn't completely sold on the 5 minutes on the knee hit. Wasn't a BAD call, certainly, but I was a little surprised we got it.
I wasn't until the slow mo replay. Then it seemed to me that Foo put his leg out there on purpose. If that's not intent to injure then it's at least being heedless of whether he does or not, and fuck that noise.

I think he deserved a big ol' DQ.

On the replay it looked quite intentional and dangerous. I'm with you.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.sub-174-222-6.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 07:58PM

Posted by: slh10 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:20PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Trotsky, I agree with you as far as disliking Bennett. We must also remember Nate Leahman built that team and Bennett was lucky enough to get the rewards. And Leahman followed it up later on at Providence. I find his teams to be a bunch of thugs similar to the Clarkson teams of George Rolls.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:29PM

slh10
Trotsky
upprdeck

Trotsky, I agree with you as far as disliking Bennett. We must also remember Nate Leahman built that team and Bennett was lucky enough to get the rewards. And Leahman followed it up later on at Providence. I find his teams to be a bunch of thugs similar to the Clarkson teams of George Rolls.
I'm no fan of Bennett either but taking a random tiny school in upstate New York to the Frozen Four and then to the National Title is almost unfathomably difficult. Plus, Bennett was an assistant in the Leahman years and probably handled much of the recruiting.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:42PM

Also, Union was a very dominant team (keyword being team) that year. They took out some very good teams on their way to the championship. And up until Makar at UMass this year, I can't recall seeing any defenseman as consistently effective or dominant as Gostisbehere was. The Hobey Baker would've been his if Gaudreau weren't still at the college level.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 11:01PM by Iceberg.

Date: March 19, 2019 09:11PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Trotsky
upprdeck

While I love the Harryhausen reference he actually reminds me of Lon Chaney Jr.

Date: March 19, 2019 11:43PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Trotsky
upprdeck

While I love the Harryhausen reference he actually reminds me of Lon Chaney Jr.

Also, Raymond Massey in Arsenic and Old Lace:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 11:44PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login