Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ESPN+

Posted by Beeeej 
ESPN+
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2019 03:15PM

Y'know what's really missing with ESPN+? Picture-in-picture, or the ability to switch rapidly (i.e., one remote keystroke like the "last" on cable remotes) between two events. I'm sticking with Albany @ Cornell men's lax right now, but I'd really love to be able to check in on the women's ECAC hockey quarterfinal against RPI without backing out a couple of menu levels on the AppleTV each time I want to switch. (I know I could use my laptop for one, but I'm busy reading the employee handbook for my new job.)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: ESPN+
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 04:09PM

Would like a hi-def camera in Schoellkopf.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-8.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2019 04:38PM

Beeeej
Y'know what's really missing with ESPN+? Picture-in-picture, or the ability to switch rapidly (i.e., one remote keystroke like the "last" on cable remotes) between two events. I'm sticking with Albany @ Cornell men's lax right now, but I'd really love to be able to check in on the women's ECAC hockey quarterfinal against RPI without backing out a couple of menu levels on the AppleTV each time I want to switch. (I know I could use my laptop for one, but I'm busy reading the employee handbook for my new job.)

Haha first-world problems, but I do agree with you. The interface in general is very poor. It should have a memory of what you like to watch and suggest them right at the start. Or at least a way to favorite leagues, sports, schools etc. Always scrolling through dozens of random women’s soccer games and what not is annoying.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-8.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2019 07:31PM

Anyone know the name of the Hospital in the Canton / Potsdam area? Put a bullet in my head.

Posted by: abmarks (64.9.251.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 08:34PM

Just let me favorite Cornell hockey do I can find it fast.

This pos app will let me have bball or football, but not hockey.

Posted by: cu155 (198.255.67.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 08:45PM

Totally random whether it actually loads an event for me or pushes me to the 'sign up for ESPN+' page, this is even though I'm already signed and subscribed to the app. Fastest way I've found to actually locate hockey games or other Cornell events is just to load link via the Cornell Hockey/Lacrosse/Wrestling schedule page.

Posted by: RichH (159.192.217.---)
Date: March 03, 2019 12:56AM

Beeeej

On my AppleTV (4th Gen 4K), there is a "multicast" option on the ESPN app. You hold down the main button and select a different event. I think you can watch up to 4 different events at the same time within the app, and can arrange them in PIP, split-screen, and other configurations. You can switch between primary feeds very easily. See the video demonstration embedded in the following link:

[9to5mac.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2019 12:59AM by RichH.

Date: March 03, 2019 01:01AM

abmarks
Just let me favorite Cornell hockey do I can find it fast.

This pos app will let me have bball or football, but not hockey.

It took me a while to find the quickest way (I'm sure it depends on which app you use), but I go to the selector for sport, and the ECAC games are almost always populated first. Ice Hockey in the sports list is usually...after...cricket.

Date: March 03, 2019 01:14AM

cu155
Totally random whether it actually loads an event for me or pushes me to the 'sign up for ESPN+' page, this is even though I'm already signed and subscribed to the app. Fastest way I've found to actually locate hockey games or other Cornell events is just to load link via the Cornell Hockey/Lacrosse/Wrestling schedule page.

OK, I thought this was just me, since I'm a US subscriber trying to access the service using a VPN oversees. My guess was that ESPN is trying to defeat VPNs. Instead of just telling you "hey, you can't do that," they were making things break, like the above "sign up, even though you are already" BS. I have a magic sequence I developed to get it to work, but for a few weeks, there was a lot of trial and (mostly) error with various browsers and devices. Last week, I couldn't get any archived games to stream.

One interesting thing about the Ivy streaming deal is that they've contracted a separate company (Stretch Internet) to handle international access, that costs $3 per event and $5 per month, but you don't get non-ivy ECAC feeds.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 11:06AM

What would be really great ... a camera person in Potsdam that wasn't clueless.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 11:10AM

still wondering what happened on the late failed clear that allowed clarkson to score. some nice shots of empty nice during the game though

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: March 03, 2019 11:17AM

upprdeck
still wondering what happened on the late failed clear that allowed clarkson to score. some nice shots of empty nice during the game though

The call mentioned something about Barron trying to skate out of the zone but getting his stick lifted.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 11:35AM

Scersk '97
upprdeck

The call mentioned something about Barron trying to skate out of the zone but getting his stick lifted.

I think, he was trying to keep control of the puck and try and score, or at least skate it out, rather than just shooting it out of the zone.

Unfortunately it doesn't show on the replay.

But he had the chance to just push it out.

Date: March 03, 2019 11:50AM

the last few weeks have been filled with bad clear attempts in the D end..

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 11:56AM

adamw

He followed the puck. You want the players too?

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 12:17PM

marty
adamw

I grumbled about that a bit, during the game... But, I try to remind myself of the many years that finding radio coverage of away games was difficult.. Then, the camera seems better to me.. :-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 01:59PM

redice
I grumbled about that a bit, during the game... But, I try to remind myself of the many years that finding radio coverage of away games was difficult.. Then, the camera seems better to me.. :-)

Exactly.

Re: ESPN+ - tarted-up replay lead-ins
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 03:29PM

ESPN+ is mostly a big step forward. Video quality is better They put a doggie shock collar around the main camera guy and told him he will be zapped at full power if he/she fails to pan with the puck. Hockey has an announcing team not twinned with the radio broadcast.

Then there's the replay. Nice we have a replay. But the lead-in was tarted up by people who never heard of Mies and "Less is More." The replay is:

1. ~1 second of replay
2. The green monster interrupts and takes over the central half of the screen wiht the big green Ivy League logo, for ~2 seconds, and disrupts the replay.
3. Then it fades out and what's left of the replay runs.

Like this:

Date: March 03, 2019 03:32PM

Video clip of Teat's underhand pass for an assist Q3 vs. Albany. Example of how the graphic detracts not adds. At least it doesnt spiral in with a rainbow of colors before freezing on the green version

[billhoward.smugmug.com]

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 04:43PM

billhoward
ESPN+ is mostly a big step forward. Video quality is better They put a doggie shock collar around the main camera guy and told him he will be zapped at full power if he/she fails to pan with the puck. Hockey has an announcing team not twinned with the radio broadcast.

Pretty sure the shock collar wasn't working last night in Potsdam. And it was definitely just the radio broadcast last night, with the announcer who enjoyed telling us the score from the "Canton-Potsdam Hospital scoreboard."

Date: March 03, 2019 05:51PM

Thought I recalled the North Country announcers being pretty good a year ago, more likely 2 years back since I made the trip up last year, and they seemed crusty old guys but knew the game. I could swear in this year's @St Lawrence game, the announcer(s) just walked away for 5 minutes and then came back and continued talking about the game. Or else somebody had leaned his elbow on the mute button for a bit.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 09:44PM

billhoward
Thought I recalled the North Country announcers being pretty good a year ago, more likely 2 years back since I made the trip up last year, and they seemed crusty old guys but knew the game. I could swear in this year's @St Lawrence game, the announcer(s) just walked away for 5 minutes and then came back and continued talking about the game. Or else somebody had leaned his elbow on the mute button for a bit.
SLU was having audio trouble all night. At it's best it sounded like they were using walkie-talkies.

Date: March 04, 2019 02:11PM

marty
adamw

He followed the puck? Which game were you watching??

Ugly, horrible camera work. In addition to staring at empty ice a few times a minute and feeling like I might have an epileptic seizure due to constant, sudden shifting from zoom to wide, I kept trying to use X-ray vision to see what was happening behind the score-and-time display. But thank goodness I had that perfect view of several rows of fans in the lower half of the screen.

Had to keep reminding myself how inexpensive it is these days in order to avoid screaming.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 02:14PM by Beeeej.

Date: March 04, 2019 04:26PM

Beeeej
marty
adamw

He followed the puck? Which game were you watching??

I was only able to watch the OT. Earlier I had been in the chat area wondering what Trotsky was commenting on with regard to the cameraman. What I noticed in OT was a telephoto shot of the puck. I should post the clip to YouTube for posterity.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2019 05:51PM

Good news is the guy at Lynah is pretty good on the camera. The replays seem better than other places (better producer?) and Grady and Topher are pretty great all things considered - so we should be good the rest of the way. I would assume whoever picks up Lake Placid brings a competent production team.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 06:11PM by CU2007.

Date: March 04, 2019 06:03PM

ugarte
billhoward
SLU was having audio trouble all night. At it's best it sounded like they were using walkie-talkies.
At its worst, you heard SLU announcers doing the play-by-play.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-220-6.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2019 01:15AM

Beeeej

Had to keep reminding myself how inexpensive it is these days in order to avoid screaming.

I don’t remember anyone remarking about not having to pay for separate games of the playoffs.

Factor that in and the cost really gets cheap.

Date: March 15, 2019 09:23AM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej

I don’t remember anyone remarking about not having to pay for separate games of the playoffs.

Since it's a monthly package of all of ESPN+'s programming, I didn't think it warranted specific remarks, but I'll certainly add my "huzzah, cheap" to yours. It would just be nice if there were a minimum standard for production.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 15, 2019 10:11AM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Since it's a monthly package of all of ESPN+'s programming, I didn't think it warranted specific remarks, but I'll certainly add my "huzzah, cheap" to yours. It would just be nice if there were a minimum standard for production.

Certainly didn't mean that you had to say it. But when you did mention cheap, it reminded me of all the past discussions about the terrible price for playoff games and that of all the complainers, no one seemed to give the ECAC credit for this decision.

Date: March 15, 2019 10:17AM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Certainly didn't mean that you had to say it. But when you did mention cheap, it reminded me of all the past discussions about the terrible price for playoff games and that of all the complainers, no one seemed to give the ECAC credit for this decision.

Yeah, but in the meantime, the women's NCAA quarterfinal tomorrow isn't being televised or streamed at all. If we get past Northeastern (who has never won an NCAA tourney game, but who owns the head-to-head record vs. Cornell 27-9-1) to the Frozen Four, then we'd get to see the remaining games on the Big Ten Network, of all places.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 15, 2019 10:27AM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Yeah, but in the meantime, the women's NCAA quarterfinal tomorrow isn't being televised or streamed at all. If we get past Northeastern (who has never won an NCAA tourney game, but who owns the head-to-head record vs. Cornell 27-9-1) to the Frozen Four, then we'd get to see the remaining games on the Big Ten Network, of all places.

Date: March 15, 2019 10:32AM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

According to CornellBigRed it's being streamed by [portal.stretchinternet.com]

Date: March 15, 2019 10:40AM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Oh. Huh. Why on earth is that not on the schedule, or in the game notes, from either school or from the NCAA??

Anyway, that's great.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 15, 2019 12:14PM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Oh. Huh. Why on earth is that not on the schedule, or in the game notes, from either school or from the NCAA??

Anyway, that's great.
It is on the schedule, but it may have been a late addition to the Stretch schedule the same way the lax tournament was. WHICH IS WEIRD SINCE IT IS AN NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME but nevertheless...

Date: March 15, 2019 12:20PM

ugarte
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Anyway, that's great.
It is on the schedule, but it may have been a late addition to the Stretch schedule the same way the lax tournament was. WHICH IS WEIRD SINCE IT IS AN NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME but nevertheless...

Yeah, it was not on the Cornell women's hockey schedule when I checked, literally ten minutes before Jim posted about it. I see it is now.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 15, 2019 12:33PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

Over/under on the price jumping to $7.50 next year?

Date: September 02, 2019 08:48AM

For anyone thinking of an annual plan, or who does more than 7 months, ESPN+ is now offering a year for $40. Offer ends on 9/11.

Date: September 02, 2019 05:31PM

I didnt even know they offered an annual play for $50.

Posted by: RichH (104.194.218.---)
Date: September 02, 2019 10:06PM

Jim Hyla
For anyone thinking of an annual plan, or who does more than 7 months, ESPN+ is now offering a year for $40. Offer ends on 9/11.

If all a person wants this for is the college hockey, Activating a monthly subscription on the day of the Brown game, Nov. 8, and you want it to run through the ECAC Final on March 21, that's 5 months, or $25. Include the lacrosse season (or your other favorite Spring sports), that's still $35. Only masochists who like to pay for the pain of watching CU's football season makes this offer net positive.

But there's enough content for the college hockey offseason like soccer, NHL, and MLB in addition to "insider" articles on the 4-letter website. Really, not a bad deal.

Posted by: abmarks (64.9.251.---)
Date: September 07, 2019 03:46PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

If all a person wants this for is the college hockey, Activating a monthly subscription on the day of the Brown game, Nov. 8, and you want it to run through the ECAC Final on March 21, that's 5 months, or $25. Include the lacrosse season (or your other favorite Spring sports), that's still $35. Only masochists who like to pay for the pain of watching CU's football season makes this offer net positive.

But there's enough content for the college hockey offseason like soccer, NHL, and MLB in addition to "insider" articles on the 4-letter website. Really, not a bad deal.

For boxing fans ESPN+ is a super cheap godsend. Lots of big fights are getting shown. Next Saturday they've got the next Tyson Fury heavyweight title fight

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 30, 2019 08:08PM

had a conversation with some more people who are still not happy cornell went the ESPN+ route and removed most of the radio broadcasts. Anyone wanting to keep track of things like bball now during a hockey game are pretty much out of luck as well.

I talked with some Profs who went to fball and left early only to find they couldnt listen like they have for yrs.. These are not Sports guys who see value in paying extra for ESPN+ and some dont even have TV tgo watch anyway.

it doesnt help half the time the cell signal in lynah is bad and you cant steam ESPN+ to your phone even if you wanted to try.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2019 01:30AM

upprdeck
Anyone wanting to keep track of things like bball now during a hockey game are pretty much out of luck as well.

If you have an iPhone, (everyone?) you can easily keep track of basketball score. He’ll you. Can even stream the game while you’re in lynah if you have decent service

Date: October 31, 2019 07:05AM

thats my point, people that listen to the games have to now stream it and thats only if they pay for that service. Streaming a 2 hr event on a phone most phones wont last 2 hrs doing that,.

its very rare i get enough service thru wifi or cell in lynah to check scores, mostly it just spins..

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-16.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2019 07:31AM

upprdeck
thats my point, people that listen to the games have to now stream it and thats only if they pay for that service. Streaming a 2 hr event on a phone most phones wont last 2 hrs doing that,.

its very rare i get enough service thru wifi or cell in lynah to check scores, mostly it just spins..

I thought your point was that if you were home and attempting to stream basketball while at the same time you had been streaming hockey that it was impossible to stream two games from one account on two different devices. I don't remember if ESPN+ allowed that last year.

Perhaps it was Ivy League Digital that wouldn't allow two streams at once.

Date: October 31, 2019 07:40AM

upprdeck

I've streamed other games on multiple occasions and haven't lost contact. I also have CHN sending scores to my watch, and aside from a time where CHN and iPhones seemed to have a problem, corrected and no longer a problem, I've always been able to check out of town scores. Maybe signal strength varies in different areas of Lynah?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: October 31, 2019 09:20AM

marty
upprdeck

I thought your point was that if you were home and attempting to stream basketball while at the same time you had been streaming hockey that it was impossible to stream two games from one account on two different devices. I don't remember if ESPN+ allowed that last year.

no, the issue is that there is no longer even any *terrestrial radio* coverage of anything but hockey. that's a bummer even though i don't live in the area.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (72.2.237.---)
Date: October 31, 2019 09:37AM

ugarte
marty
upprdeck

no, the issue is that there is no longer even any *terrestrial radio* coverage of anything but hockey. that's a bummer even though i don't live in the area.
Right. For me, espn+ is good, but no radio is bad. Was nice to listen via internet to away games if not videocast on a network to which I had access. Following on espn gamecast is maddening.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-16.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2019 09:41AM

ugarte
marty
upprdeck

I got that, but most that want to listen to their favorite sport can at least consider $5 a month. And though free is a better option for many, $5 a month for + is a great deal for most of us.

I used to get my tunable AM radio antenna in place before HCU started streaming for free. Night reception of a relatively weak signal from 150 miles away was frustrating for me and annoying for family members that were bombarded by the static. ESPN+ is like black magic by comparison.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: October 31, 2019 09:46AM

There are alot of LAX games i am riding around in my car listen to the radio, same for fball/bball. thats no more.. There are lots of people who used to listen to the radio at halftime thats gone now too.. $5 isnt much I agree, But of the 10 or so people i know who frequent cornell events I am the only one who actually has ESPN+, most people are not diehards , many dont even really watch sports other than Cornell Events.

Date: October 31, 2019 09:55AM

marty
ugarte
marty
upprdeck

I got that, but most that want to listen to their favorite sport can at least consider $5 a month. And though free is a better option for many, $5 a month for + is a great deal for most of us.

I used to get my tunable AM radio antenna in place before HCU started streaming for free. Night reception of a relatively weak signal from 150 miles away was frustrating for me and annoying for family members that were bombarded by the static. ESPN+ is like black magic by comparison.
You are missing the point of the problem that exclusivity brings. I can even understand why ESPN+ would preclude WHCU from streaming the audio, but to (a) not permit a local radio broadcast and (b) not have a less-data-intensive audio feed of the ESPN stream sucks. I have ESPN+. I love it. I do not love that it has secondary effects that I didn't know about. I net out ahead but I understand why people are annoyed.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: October 31, 2019 12:10PM

ugarte
marty
ugarte
marty
upprdeck

You are missing the point of the problem that exclusivity brings. I can even understand why ESPN+ would preclude WHCU from streaming the audio, but to (a) not permit a local radio broadcast and (b) not have a less-data-intensive audio feed of the ESPN stream sucks. I have ESPN+. I love it. I do not love that it has secondary effects that I didn't know about. I net out ahead but I understand why people are annoyed.

No....I was just misinterpreting this:
upprdeck
Anyone wanting to keep track of things like bball now during a hockey game are pretty much out of luck as well.

as meaning that I thought upprdeck meant streaming two games at once was impossible when he didn't mean that at all. That is why I said I misinterpreted his issue in my post.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (72.2.237.---)
Date: October 31, 2019 12:21PM

ugarte
You are missing the point of the problem that exclusivity brings. I can even understand why ESPN+ would preclude WHCU from streaming the audio, but to (a) not permit a local radio broadcast and (b) not have a less-data-intensive audio feed of the ESPN stream sucks.
On a cruise ship with slow internet, espn+ won't even load. Streamed whcu did. SOL.

Posted by: cu155 (45.80.128.---)
Date: October 31, 2019 07:27PM

Also not idea for someone living behind the Great Firewall of China. Unless it's a good day streaming ESPN+ is dicey as it doesn't always play well with VPNs. Radio was always a good backup or supplement.

Date: October 31, 2019 08:51PM

cornell made this decision.. thats why hockey still gets a radio feed

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: November 01, 2019 11:56AM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
You are missing the point of the problem that exclusivity brings. I can even understand why ESPN+ would preclude WHCU from streaming the audio, but to (a) not permit a local radio broadcast and (b) not have a less-data-intensive audio feed of the ESPN stream sucks.
On a cruise ship with slow internet, espn+ won't even load. Streamed whcu did. SOL.
Can anyone say "First World problem"?

Date: November 01, 2019 10:33PM

the coverage on flo is good and they have a LOT of hockey. looks like they have WCHA as well.

Posted by: cu155 (167.99.235.---)
Date: November 02, 2019 03:24AM

Do you happen to know if there a flow subscription that covers all sports or is it individual subscriptions by sport?

Date: November 02, 2019 08:35PM

cu155
Do you happen to know if there a flow subscription that covers all sports or is it individual subscriptions by sport?
a flo pro subscription covers everything. my wrestling sub was good for hockey.

Posted by: cu155 (---.abider.host)
Date: November 02, 2019 09:09PM

Awesome, thank you.

Posted by: billhoward (216.4.53.---)
Date: December 06, 2019 01:54PM

I should know this, and don't, or forgot, about ESPN+:
* Once the game starts, do you have the option to start at the beginning or does it jump to the current time?
* How long after the game is the replay available?
My delayed plane won't get me home until, worst case, midway through the second period.

Posted by: tretiak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2019 02:45PM

While the game is live, ESPN+ jumps to the current time. The replay is usually available less than 30 min after it ends if you can avoid spoilers.

Date: December 06, 2019 02:51PM

replay usually takes 30-60 min to show up.. a couple times i got on too soon and it showed the game score well after the game was over

its inconsistent on what happens when you connect during a live feed usually though it just me in to where ever the game is.

if i miss a game i always wait about an hr to login and then watch from the beginning . i tried on the web today with a live hockey and it just started where the game was about 30 min into it.

i was able to click backwards though to the beginning so if you are careful about not trying to see whats happening you can avoid the spoilers

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2019 02:58PM

More info, for syncing the audio and video when it's an away game.

Live, you can pause ESPN+ but you cannot pause WHCU. So, if Jason is ahead of the video you're SOL; if he's behind you can sync. My favorite time to sync is during the anthem since it gives you a nice baseline to adjust to.

Which is ahead seems to vary with no pattern.

ESPN+ does sometimes hiccup and return you to live whether asked to or not.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 03:02PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 06, 2019 02:59PM

billhoward
I should know this, and don't, or forgot, about ESPN+:
* Once the game starts, do you have the option to start at the beginning or does it jump to the current time?
* How long after the game is the replay available?
My delayed plane won't get me home until, worst case, midway through the second period.
it will start live if it's still live. if you have anyone else to start it for you, you can have it start on mute and rewind to the beginning.

If you are going to watch the replay, don't click on it until it is showing in the Replays tab on ESPN's homepage or you will AT BEST get a "This Event Has Ended" screen and possibly the camera lingering on an empty rink with the final score.

Date: December 06, 2019 03:40PM

its too bad its not like MLB on some other streams that give you the option of start from beginning though

Date: December 07, 2019 04:12PM

tretiak
While the game is live, ESPN+ jumps to the current time. The replay is usually available less than 30 min after it ends if you can avoid spoilers.
Thanks. It turns out UA was 4 hours late getting out of PHX so by the time I was home at 10:30, the game was long over / replay was long since ready, there was no danger of stepping into an almost-finished game ... and what a treat it was to a) see all the empty Harvard-fan seats, b) hear the wailing of their announcers noting how Cornell was like 65% of the attendees, and c) the final score. Harvard's upset they lost and I'm upset we gave an unecessary-power-play goal.

Date: December 07, 2019 04:14PM

upprdeck
its too bad its not like MLB on some other streams that give you the option of start from beginning though
Indeed. But this is so much improved from five years ago. The video is better (that may have happened w/o ESPN). My Roku player doesn't know that it should make my first video the most current hockey, football (I'm a masochist) or lacrosse game Cornell is playing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login