Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[WIH] QF v RPI

Posted by ugarte 
[WIH] QF v RPI
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:26PM

Now that's a crazy stat sheet for an OT win.

Re: [WIH] QF v RPI
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:34PM

ugarte

What is it with RPI goalies? wow

Date: March 01, 2019 09:47PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

i think they said she has the record for career saves but i didn't hear if it was ECAC or NCAA.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 09:56PM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

i think they said she has the record for career saves but i didn't hear if it was ECAC or NCAA.

NCAA record. She now needs 31 to tie the unofficial record held by a Lindenwood goalie including her freshman year when Lindenwood was not yet an NCAA team. That should be passed in the second period tomorrow assuming that Selander isn't too tired to play.

Posted by: profudge (172.76.228.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 09:00AM

That was a hard game for us fans with our fingers crossed and praying to the hockey gods for just a bit of puck luck. We had so many close calls for so long!

Congratulations to the women's hockey team who showed teamwork and hustle and persevered with their great effort!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 12:23PM

We've seen time and time again that [particularly] in the women's collegiate game, a strong goalie can thwart a dominating performance by the other team. One might think that our trouble scoring against RPI yesterday was indicative of a lack of top-class finishing ability, but I beg to differ. I believe O'Neill and Mills are among the nation's best offensive weapons. I also believe Coach Derraugh's commitment to the high puck-possession style of play can sometimes be to our detriment, as the opponent settles into a defensive shape and mentality, leading to few transition opportunities (see: Cornell 2-1 Union, 2/23). It was telling to me that the goal by Gillis Frechette to tie the game at 1-1 started with a stretch pass from our defensive zone. Sometimes it's better to "let the game come to us" than try to grab it by the scruff of the neck. Let's show some more interest in women's hockey, eh ELynah community? LET's GO RED!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2019 02:46PM

imafrshmn
We've seen time and time again that [particularly] in the women's collegiate game, a strong goalie can thwart a dominating performance by the other team. One might think that our trouble scoring against RPI yesterday was indicative of a lack of top-class finishing ability, but I beg to differ. I believe O'Neill and Mills are among the nation's best offensive weapons. I also believe Coach Derraugh's commitment to the high puck-possession style of play can sometimes be to our detriment, as the opponent settles into a defensive shape and mentality, leading to few transition opportunities (see: Cornell 2-1 Union, 2/23). It was telling to me that the goal by Gillis Frechette to tie the game at 1-1 started with a stretch pass from our defensive zone. Sometimes it's better to "let the game come to us" than try to grab it by the scruff of the neck. Let's show some more interest in women's hockey, eh ELynah community? LET's GO RED!

I’ve watched a fair bit of the women’s games this year, and while the team is solid top-to-bottom, besides O’Neill and to a bit lesser extent Mills, I don’t see the overall offensive ability of the Johnston and Brenner era teams. Bourbonnais is a skilled offensive defenseman who would have fit-in well on those teams too.

I’m just not sold on this team going too far in the postseason, although I’d love to be proven wrong.

Date: March 02, 2019 02:57PM

scoop85
imafrshmn

I’ve watched a fair bit of the women’s games this year, and while the team is solid top-to-bottom, besides O’Neill and to a bit lesser extent Mills, I don’t see the overall offensive ability of the Johnston and Brenner era teams. Bourbonnais is a skilled offensive defenseman who would have fit-in well on those teams too.

I’m just not sold on this team going too far in the postseason, although I’d love to be proven wrong.

Jenner/Johnston/Saulnier and Fortino/Rougeau were all super athletic and world-class caliber, no doubt, and we probably don't have that level of talent these days. But I would argue that we're deeper and more balanced now than that era's teams (whose lack of depth probably limited their NCAA tourney success).

Date: March 02, 2019 03:07PM

imafrshmn
scoop85
imafrshmn

Jenner/Johnston/Saulnier and Fortino/Rougeau were all super athletic and world-class caliber, no doubt, and we probably don't have that level of talent these days. But I would argue that we're deeper and more balanced now than that era's teams (whose lack of depth probably limited their NCAA tourney success).

If we do have a deep run I agree it will be due to depth (and of course I meant to type Jenner not Brenner)

Date: March 02, 2019 04:38PM

Game 2 is looking like a carbon copy of Game 1 through 2 periods. RPI up 1-0 despite being outshot 34-6. Some of the strangest Cornell hockey games I've ever seen.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2019 04:50PM

Real shame we can't fill the rink for the women, for a playoff game.

It would help them so much.

Date: March 02, 2019 04:51PM

Cornell women sitting on program win 599.

Date: March 02, 2019 05:11PM

RPI eng up 2-0. Shots on goal are 49-10. How did RPI finish 8th with this woman in net?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 05:12PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 02, 2019 05:13PM

Brutal result. Certainly luck favored RPI today, but our playmaking wasn't especially well executed when it mattered most.

Date: March 02, 2019 05:15PM

imafrshmn
Brutal result. Certainly luck favored RPI today, but our playmaking wasn't especially well executed when it mattered most.
We never got a player on a rebound. We did get a lot of deflections in front but she stopped them all.

Date: March 03, 2019 10:40AM

Trotsky

Any of you ELFers in Ithaca better turn up today at 3 to support the women’s team. Attendance reported for Friday was ~1500 and Saturday was ~1200. Decent numbers but not enough. Women’s hockey has drawn 2000+ a few times for big games in the past. Get Lynah loud and for pete’s sake, don’t antagonize the refs.

Date: March 03, 2019 01:56PM

imafrshmn
Trotsky

Any of you ELFers in Ithaca better turn up today at 3 to support the women’s team. Attendance reported for Friday was ~1500 and Saturday was ~1200. Decent numbers but not enough. Women’s hockey has drawn 2000+ a few times for big games in the past. Get Lynah loud and for pete’s sake, don’t antagonize the refs.
Seriously, that barn looked liked shit Friday and Saturday. We need atmosphere. So bring your text books or your laptops or your crack pipes or whatever you'd be doing at home and get your asses to the game. Can't beat the price.

Date: March 03, 2019 03:09PM

After I saw Cornell's attendance figure yesterday, I asked on yesterday's RPI men's game thread what the RPI women's record attendance is, knowing that the half dozen time I was there, the attendance seemed to be about 100 (and that probably included the men's team going through to the locker room). It appears that the record is 750.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 03:35PM

2-0 Cornell after one.

Date: March 03, 2019 03:54PM

Al DeFlorio
2-0 Cornell after one.
First period SOG 25-3. RPI going on the PP early in the second.

Date: March 03, 2019 04:13PM

And RPI sores on a PP after O’Neill takes an unnecessary offensive zone penalty with Cornell completely dominating. This team shows shockingly bad hockey sense, as the only chance RPI would have to score is on the PP.

Date: March 03, 2019 04:15PM

Okay, O’Neill makes up to her gaffe by scoring immediately thereafter, Red up 3-1. 5:30 left in the 2nd period.

Date: March 03, 2019 04:51PM

Freschette pots another to make it 5-1. Cornell has a four goal lead with 12 minutes to go and RPI has three shots on goal in each of the first two periods.

Date: March 03, 2019 05:31PM

6-1 final and it could have been 30-1.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 05:40PM

ugarte

Seems they finally solved that pesky goalie. Hope the lesson helps going forward.

Date: March 03, 2019 06:56PM

ECAC Release on the Championship tournament next weekend at Lynah:

ITHACA, N.Y. - It took a deciding third game against RPI on Sunday, but top seeded Cornell has advanced to the ECAC Women’s Hockey semifinal round, and will host the upcoming four team championship weekend. Colgate, Clarkson, and Princeton will make the trip to Ithaca, as the top four teams all took care of business in the Quarterfinal round. Game times are set for 1 and 4 p.m. for Saturday’s semifinal round. Streaming links, live stats, and other game information will become available later this week. The Big Red will take on fourth-seeded Princeton at 1 p.m. in Saturday’s semifinal game. The Tigers are coming off a series sweep of St. Lawrence, using a hat trick from Rookie of the Year finalist Sarah Fillier on Saturday to move on to the semifinal round. In their two matchups during the regular-season, Princeton had the edge, winning the second matchup of the year after a 2-2 tie back in November. Since that loss to Princeton on February 11, the Big Red have been red hot, posting a 14-2-1 record. Colgate came back from down 1-0 to win its quarterfinal series over Harvard and move on to the semifinals for the second straight year. Eleri MacKay put on a show in Saturday’s win, recording a hat trick that included two third period goals. The Raiders will square off with third-seeded Clarkson at 4 p.m. in the semifinals in a rematch of last years ECAC Hockey and NCAA Championship game. This season, Colgate has had the edge in the series against Clarkson, winning both regular-season matchups including a thrilling 4-3 overtime win on February 9."]

Sat 1:00 #1 Cornell vs #4 Princeton
Sat 4:00 #2 Colgate vs #3 Clarkson

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 03, 2019 07:04PM

OK. Princeton up next.

Hopefully, they'll do better than during the regular season.

Go Red!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 09:25PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
OK. Princeton up next.

Hopefully, they'll do better than during the regular season.

Go Red!

From the Sun:

“Going off our last game against them, we kind of all were like, ‘I hope we see them again, we want to see them again,’” Frechette said of Princeton’s 5-0 January shellacking of the Red at Lynah. “Because we have that fire and we know we can beat them.”

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 11:38PM

ugarte

Shots on goal for the series:

Cornell: 175
RPI: 25

Date: March 04, 2019 12:31AM

I find it hard to believe that this was a first.

Date: March 04, 2019 08:53AM

ursusminor

Not me, given the lack of parity in women’s hockey. And anyone watching the games would agree that except for the goaltender, RPI wasn’t in the same universe as Cornell skill-wise.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 04, 2019 09:37AM

it was really a matter of could cornell find a hole to shoot at threw all the bodies inside the 10 ft arc

RPI could have lined all 5 up behind the goalie as a wall for the lack of clearing they did

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2019 11:10AM

scoop85
ursusminor

Not me, given the lack of parity in women’s hockey. And anyone watching the games would agree that except for the goaltender, RPI wasn’t in the same universe as Cornell skill-wise.

ECAC women's hockey playoff history.

If you consider "in conference history" to mean "since the ECAC adopted its current league composition and playoff format", yes, this is the first time. But see 1994-95; #8 St. Lawrence beat #1 Brown in their quarterfinal game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login