Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2019-03-01: Cornell 4 St. Lawrence 2

Posted by Trotsky 
2019-03-01: Cornell 4 St. Lawrence 2
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2019 11:40PM

And so it comes to this:

27 Cor    @SLU  @Clk
26 Hvd    @RPI  @Uni
26 Qpc    @Brn  @Yal
25 Clk     Cgt   Cor
23 Yal     Prn   Qpc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 09:18PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2019-03-01: Cornell at St. Lawrence
Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 12:52AM

What's our tiebreaker with Yale? Have we clinched top 4?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-134.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 12:58AM

French Rage

We're split on head to head, so it goes to wins. If they tie us in points, it means they've passed us in wins, so we'd lose that. We need a point to clinch top 4. Or a Yale tie/loss.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2019 08:12AM

Dafatone
French Rage

We're split on head to head, so it goes to wins. If they tie us in points, it means they've passed us in wins, so we'd lose that. We need a point to clinch top 4. Or a Yale tie/loss.

Put a bit more succinctly: Unless we get swept and Yale sweeps, we've got a bye.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 08:53AM

its possible to clinch first on fri or fall to 5th on sat.. crazy year

Date: February 24, 2019 11:12AM

upprdeck
IIRC there was a season a while ago where somebody still had the range [2 .. 10] or thereabouts going into the final weekend.

Not typical to have such a cluster at the top. We saw to that unfortunately by giving away 5-6 points. By all rights we had the RS #1 wrapped up in January -- we just done fucked up.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2019 11:12AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 11:31AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
IIRC there was a season a while ago where somebody still had the range [2 .. 10] or thereabouts going into the final weekend.

Not typical to have such a cluster at the top. We saw to that unfortunately by giving away 5-6 points. By all rights we had the RS #1 wrapped up in January -- we just done fucked up.
I think you under appreciate the impact of injuries on this year’s team.

Date: February 24, 2019 11:45AM

KenP
Clearly had we been better people those would not have happened.

Date: February 24, 2019 11:45AM

i thought the stat last night that losing friday was the first time in 5 yrs we have gone winless 3 games in a row was pretty telling on how consistent this team has been.

even if the last we somehow turned at 3-1 to at worst 1-1-2 into reality of 1-2-1

wno reason to be so flat sat after sat other than just worn out.. really wonder if 2 weeks off really will help this.

getting Andreev back will be big too if just another body and his legs will probably be fresh. Donaldson looked the freshest of team last night

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 01:07PM

KenP
Trotsky
upprdeck

3 goals in under a minute

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 03:41PM

upprdeck
i thought the stat last night that losing friday was the first time in 5 yrs we have gone winless 3 games in a row was pretty telling on how consistent this team has been.

even if the last we somehow turned at 3-1 to at worst 1-1-2 into reality of 1-2-1

wno reason to be so flat sat after sat other than just worn out.. really wonder if 2 weeks off really will help this.

getting Andreev back will be big too if just another body and his legs will probably be fresh. Donaldson looked the freshest of team last night

When I saw Donaldson at Q, before he got hurt, he also looked the freshest of the team.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 03:54PM

Swampy
upprdeck

When I saw Donaldson at Q, before he got hurt, he also looked the freshest of the team.

Do we know if he was okay at the end of last night's game? He went down, stayed down, came off slowly, and got called for embellishment.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-20.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 03:56PM

Dafatone
Swampy
upprdeck

Do we know if he was okay at the end of last night's game? He went down, stayed down, came off slowly, and got called for embellishment.

Absolutely disgraceful call

Date: February 24, 2019 04:11PM

Dafatone
Swampy
upprdeck

I think he was back on the ice shortly thereafter but I could be misremembering.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-136.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 04:22PM

CU2007
Dafatone
Swampy
upprdeck

Absolutely disgraceful call

The only way that call isn't entirely terrible is if Donaldson was 100% fine, realized he got caught making an injury, and just committed to it the entire time he was trying to get off the ice. I highly doubt this was the case.

I don't know if it's college hockey as a whole or just the ECAC, but these matching infraction and embellishment calls are way too common, and I don't see them in the pros.

Frankly, I don't think you should be able to get embellishment if someone's committed a penalty in contacting you. Save it for true dives and faked injuries.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 04:34PM

ugarte
I think he was back on the ice shortly thereafter but I could be misremembering.

No, I don't think he did return to the ice. He did remain in the "bench area". But he was standing behind the rest of the plahers, near the tunnel. At one point, it was clear that he was favoring his left arm (shoulder?).

Date: February 24, 2019 04:42PM

yeah the ref looks pretty dumb for calling embellishment on the player and then we he goes to ask why he isnt in the box, he is down he tunnel trying to get worked on because he is hurt.

Date: February 24, 2019 04:52PM

upprdeck
yeah the ref looks pretty dumb for calling embellishment on the player and then we he goes to ask why he isnt in the box, he is down he tunnel trying to get worked on because he is hurt.

The crowd continued to boo that penalty until 00:30 left in the penalty. I don't recall the booing lasting that long on any other penalty. A horrible call.

Date: February 24, 2019 05:13PM

redice
upprdeck

The crowd continued to boo that penalty until 00:30 left in the penalty. I don't recall the booing lasting that long on any other penalty. A horrible call.
Also one of the few times that both coaches gave the ref sh-t on the same call.

It's certainly plausible that a player can be hooked or slashed and then sell the call -- happens in soccer all the time. I actually like that there's a provision in the rules that allows for the simultaneous call. But it sure happens a lot.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2019 05:14PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 05:36PM

upprdeck

I'd have to look at the sequence again, I only had the view that E+ gave me, but it looked to me that he embellished the impact of the hook/interference by going down in an exaggerated way, but in the process fell on his shoulder and hurt himself. ("Just my opinion - I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller)

Date: February 24, 2019 07:04PM

i think the issue was the hook pulled on his shoulder and since he can barely lift it and probably shouldnt be playing in the first place it likely hurt since he couldnt really move it he normally would to get away from the contact

Date: February 24, 2019 07:16PM

TimV
upprdeck

I'd have to look at the sequence again, I only had the view that E+ gave me, but it looked to me that he embellished the impact of the hook/interference by going down in an exaggerated way, but in the process fell on his shoulder and hurt himself. ("Just my opinion - I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller)

It certainly looked that way, but given that he's a tiny guy with an already-injured shoulder, he might've just gotten spun real bad.

I think it's silly that the rules try to police the behavior of a player who is being fouled (fouled doesn't feel like the right word, but bear with me). If you're faking the contact, sure, you suck and should be penalized. But it's weird to me for the rules to say that Donaldson got hooked but he reacted wrong. You don't see it in other levels of hockey, or at least I haven't noticed it. It's a weirdly common ECAC call.

Date: February 24, 2019 07:33PM

TimV
it looked to me that he embellished the impact of the hook/interference by going down in an exaggerated way, but in the process fell on his shoulder and hurt himself

[www.youtube.com]

Fun fact: left column, farthest from camera. Young man with a future. Jussie Smollett.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2019 07:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 24, 2019 07:55PM

No way he embellished it. He was being hacked from the time he left the defensive zone. And it looked to me like he was tripped with a stick between his legs more than he was hooked. And I thought he actually fell on the shoulder. Mind you, I haven't seen any replays of it.

And the booing went on even after the penalty ended. At every break in the action, it started up again.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 08:30PM

TimV
upprdeck

Look at it again. He was hooked/high sticked to his left arm, his injured arm. He was spun around and landed face down, not on his shoulder. As far as I remember, he never came back.

The injury to his arm almost for sure occurred when his arm was jammed up by the stick.

At the end of the senior program, when the players and families form a circle, he never put his left arm up on the person to his left.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if that's the last time we see him this season.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-11.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 08:52PM

Jim Hyla
TimV
upprdeck

Look at it again. He was hooked/high sticked to his left arm, his injured arm. He was spun around and landed face down, not on his shoulder. As far as I remember, he never came back.

The injury to his arm almost for sure occurred when his arm was jammed up by the stick.

At the end of the senior program, when the players and families form a circle, he never put his left arm up on the person to his left.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if that's the last time we see him this season.
He definitely came back out to serve the penalty. Don't believe he returned to the ice. Lots of incredibly baseless speculation going around in this thread.

Date: February 24, 2019 09:02PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
TimV
upprdeck

He definitely came back out to serve the penalty. Don't believe he returned to the ice. Lots of incredibly baseless speculation going around in this thread.

I don't think it's baseless speculation to think that we might not see him again. This is the third injury to that arm/shoulder. He was really hurting.

Yes, I'm speculating, but certainly not baseless.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-11.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2019 09:07PM

Moreover, here is a photo of him (to the immediate right of the guys in suits) with his arm around the player to his left: ?s=19

Granted, the ELynhah Twitter photo of the alma mater shows him with that arm at his side. He could be injured, for all I know. But it's impossible to draw any conclusions yet, and several people in this thread have stated things that are flat-out incorrect.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 07:50AM

BearLover
Moreover, here is a photo of him (to the immediate right of the guys in suits) with his arm around the player to his left: ?s=19

Granted, the ELynhah Twitter photo of the alma mater shows him with that arm at his side. He could be injured, for all I know. But it's impossible to draw any conclusions yet, and several people in this thread have stated things that are flat-out incorrect.

Look at your evidence. Look at the difference between how he has his right arm versus his left. The right is on Galajda's shoulder and his left is on the "suit's" waist.

That's not natural. When you form a ring like that you are generally symmetric.

Sure it might mean nothing, but putting all the info together, there is some basis for saying he's hurt.

And to which "things that are flat-out incorrect" are you referring?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2019 09:30AM

Presumably there will be some comments out of practice this week to indicate whether Cam was hurt seriously.

The week off is going to help; just need one final weekend of good results to get there.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 10:11AM

Jim Hyla

maybe me saying i thought he returned to the ice? but if i'm wrong (and i don't doubt that i was) that doesn't help the case for "he's fine."

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-4.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 10:59AM

Jim Hyla
BearLover

Look at your evidence. Look at the difference between how he has his right arm versus his left. The right is on Galajda's shoulder and his left is on the "suit's" waist.

Sure it might mean nothing, but putting all the info together, there is some basis for saying he's hurt.

His right arm is around Galajda's waist...

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-136.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 11:14AM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover

Look, if hockey culture didn't want us to baselessly speculate, they'd tell us about injuries.

But they don't, so it is our duty to sit here and scrutinize grainy images for every possible speck of meaning.

Date: February 25, 2019 01:35PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover

So I blew it up and you're right, but there are still multiple other data points that say he injured his left arm again.

Why else did he skate off holding his left arm?
Why did he immediately go down the tunnel, instead of the bench?
Why did coach initially send Regush to the penalty box?
Why didn't he return to the ice?

Too much for me to ignore. Do I know what really happened? Of course not, but there's reasonable reason to feel he injured his left arm.

I'm still waiting for the "things that are flat-out incorrect".

Posted by: slh10 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2019 09:17PM

As I sit next to our penalty box I guess I had one of the best vantage points. He did go up the tunnel and after all the discussion about the penalty Schafer basically asked him if he could serve the penalty. He seemed to be in a lot of pain during his time in the box. I never saw him return to the ice. He spent the last few minutes at the end of the bench behind the goalies. Hopefully just a stinger and he will be back for the playoffs or better yet this coming weekend. I for one was very surprised to see him in the lineup this past weekend.

Date: February 26, 2019 10:47AM

Pairwise-wise, btw, we're rooting for UConn over Providence tonight. No matter who wins in Denver @ Colorado College, a UConn win pushes us up to 12th.

(EDIT to add: Or more accurately, drops Providence down to 13th.)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2019 11:01AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-10.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2019 11:34AM

Jim Hyla
BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover

So I blew it up and you're right, but there are still multiple other data points that say he injured his left arm again.

Too much for me to ignore. Do I know what really happened? Of course not, but there's reasonable reason to feel he injured his left arm.

Things that were wrong: that Donaldson never put up his left arm in the postgame, that Donaldson never returned (if he was terribly hurt, would he have served the penalty?), and some of the descriptions of the contact/how Donaldson fell to the ice. If we're going to declare one of our best players out for the season or criticize the coaching staff for playing him in the first place, we should at least have the facts in front of us. Also, this team is screwed if we lose Donaldson.

On the PWR front, ASU is going to eat up an at-large slot with no conference tournament for them to win. So realistically we're probably looking at needing to finish in the top 11 or 12.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 26, 2019 12:00PM

BearLover
On the PWR front, ASU is going to eat up an at-large slot with no conference tournament for them to win. So realistically we're probably looking at needing to finish in the top 11 or 12.
Agreed - Ohio State wining the Big matters a lot. Any conference dark horse breaking through while we're on the edge is why I'm feeling down about the postseason odds.

Posted by: Dafatone (206.209.15.---)
Date: February 26, 2019 12:04PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover

Things that were wrong: that Donaldson never put up his left arm in the postgame, that Donaldson never returned (if he was terribly hurt, would he have served the penalty?), and some of the descriptions of the contact/how Donaldson fell to the ice. If we're going to declare one of our best players out for the season or criticize the coaching staff for playing him in the first place, we should at least have the facts in front of us. Also, this team is screwed if we lose Donaldson.

I don't think ASU impacts where we need to finish. We want as few teams as possible outside the top 16 to win their conferences. The only way for ASU to cause a "problem" is for them to finish outside the top 16 and still win a conference tourney.

Right now, Atlantic Hockey is the only conference that has no shot at a conference winner in the top 16. So we're really talking about the top 15 in an ideal world. Could be as bad as the top 10.

Date: February 26, 2019 12:05PM

BearLover

ASU's independence does not matter. They are thrown into the mix the same as any non-AQ team.

We start needing to finish 15 (the Atlantic AQ) and that number drops every time a dark horse wins a conference tourney. We're probably looking at 2 AQ winners who wouldn't have made it otherwise, so the line is 13 plus or minus some variance in other AQ results. Our schedule does us few favors from here on, so we're probably just above the line right now. Holding at 12 likely gets us in. To hold at 12 we probably can't afford to turd out in Canton or Ithaca. I think it comes down to that: win those 3 games to retain our chance, then each win in Potsdam or the Lake Placid semi slides us another position up to allow for freak occurrences in the other conferences. A Placid final win makes it all moot.

I'm pretty sure we've blown a shot at an NC$$ 2-seed without running the table. OTOH if we make it we're probably locked into a 3, so it hardly matters.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2019 12:08PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 26, 2019 12:29PM

Trotsky
BearLover

ASU's independence does not matter. They are thrown into the mix the same as any non-AQ team.
I think all he means is that without a conference tournament to blow and ruin their resume, and currently sitting at 8, their profile isn't going to change even if they drop a pair to Minnesota, so they've locked up a spot. But I agree with you that since they are at 8, they don't really factor into the bubble.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-10.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2019 12:39PM

ugarte
Trotsky
BearLover

I think all he means is that without a conference tournament to blow and ruin their resume, and currently sitting at 8, their profile isn't going to change even if they drop a pair to Minnesota, so they've locked up a spot. But I agree with you that since they are at 8, they don't really factor into the bubble.
Actually, I was just being dumb and thinking about it backwards: "There are six auto-bids, so essentially ten at-large sports. Each team ahead of Cornell in the PWR who gets an auto-bid opens up an extra at-large spot for Cornell."

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2019 12:53PM

OSU really is sitting in the same spot as us though even at 7 if they lose 2 to MSU and then drop early in the b10 who knows where they fall..

had we beaten MSU we probably would almost be a lock

WMU is at 10 with 4 games left. if they lose 3 of 4 they would be bubble

clarkson/Cu will really hurt each other

BC can hurt NE
Nh can hurt Lowell

all those teams 7-8 or lower have issues.

w/t or t/w and then sweep and we are probably sitting around 10-12 when we get to placid. w/l or l/w and sweep and we could be dicey

Date: February 26, 2019 01:38PM

I believe in hardware. So, the Ivy title is great, and we have a shot at another title this weekend: the ECAC RS. I am aware that some of you disparage that achievement. Opinions vary. To me it's another thing to look back at in 20 years for them to be proud of.

Let's Go Red!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2019 01:39PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 26, 2019 01:43PM

Trotsky
I believe in hardware. So, the Ivy title is great, and we have a shot at another title this weekend: the ECAC RS. I am aware that some of you disparage that achievement. Opinions vary. To me it's another thing to look back at in 20 years for them to be proud of.

Let's Go Red!
i only disparage it when clarkson wins it

Date: February 26, 2019 01:45PM

ugarte
That's reasonable.

Personally I feel that way about Union and Q. They're always gonna be the cheap, knock-off brand to me.

No doubt it's how HYP views us.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2019 01:46PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 26, 2019 02:18PM

upprdeck
OSU really is sitting in the same spot as us though even at 7 if they lose 2 to MSU and then drop early in the b10 who knows where they fall..

had we beaten MSU we probably would almost be a lock

Don't know about "a lock," as all kinds of things can still go wrong in the last weekend or over the conference tourney - but a split with MSU would have us in 8th right now, and a sweep would have us in 6th. I'd definitely prefer either of those to 13th.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: February 26, 2019 02:52PM

ugarte
Trotsky

Let's Go Red!

I primarily denigrate the title because of the cup's namesake's alleged hatred of the team I love.

Date: February 26, 2019 02:56PM

marty
ugarte
Trotsky

Let's Go Red!

I primarily denigrate the title because of the cup's namesake's alleged hatred of the team I love.

Yeah, I don't disparage the achievement (though I consider the tournament title a better one), I just resent the hell out of the fact that it's named after a hateful, classless former coach of our bitterest rival.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 26, 2019 03:12PM

Beeeej
Yeah, I don't disparage the achievement (though I consider the tournament title a better one), I just resent the hell out of the fact that it's named after a hateful, classless former coach of our bitterest rival.
I don't think this captures the entirety of Cleary. Sure, he was a dick about the rivalry during the late 80s. But he was a really strong advocate of both the ECAC and the Ivies. As far as I know he and Laing Kennedy respected each other and worked together.

Cleary could be peevish, he could be self-promoting, and he could be a self-parody of Harvard Parochialism. But there was more to the guy.

No question the tournament trophy is far more important, so they got the relative importance of the two schools right. :-)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2019 03:13PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 27, 2019 11:00PM

BearLover
ugarte
Trotsky
BearLover

Actually, I was just being dumb and thinking about it backwards: "There are six auto-bids, so essentially ten at-large sports. Each team ahead of Cornell in the PWR who gets an auto-bid opens up an extra at-large spot for Cornell."

Well, right now the conference that to me seems most ripe for stealing a slot is the Big 10. They have only one team in the top 15, and they're rather competitive top to bottom, so any of the other teams winning their tourney is quite possible (and bad for us). NCHC and HE each have 4 teams in, as do we. The odds of one of the lower seeds in each of those conferences slipping in seems low. So I think if we finish 13th or higher we're good.

Let's win 2 this weekend and make it more comfortable.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2019 08:11AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: February 27, 2019 11:30PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
BearLover
ugarte
Trotsky
BearLover

Well, right now the conference that to me seems most ripe for stealing a slot is the Big 10. They have only one team in the top 15, and they're rather competitive top to bottom, so any of the other teams winning their tourney is quite possible (and bad for us). NCHA and HE each have 4 teams in, as do we. The odds of one of the lower seeds in each of those conferences slipping in seems low. So I think if we finish 13th or higher we're good.

For what it's worth, if Notre Dame (17th) or Penn State (19th) won the Big 10, there's a decent chance they'd move up into the top 15 in doing so.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: February 28, 2019 08:13AM

Dafatone
Jeff Hopkins '82
BearLover
ugarte
Trotsky
BearLover

Well, right now the conference that to me seems most ripe for stealing a slot is the Big 10. They have only one team in the top 15, and they're rather competitive top to bottom, so any of the other teams winning their tourney is quite possible (and bad for us). NCHC and HE each have 4 teams in, as do we. The odds of one of the lower seeds in each of those conferences slipping in seems low. So I think if we finish 13th or higher we're good.

For what it's worth, if Notre Dame (17th) or Penn State (19th) won the Big 10, there's a decent chance they'd move up into the top 15 in doing so.

True, but if they win the Big 10, they steal an at-large slot whether they move into the top 15 or not.

Date: February 28, 2019 09:46AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone
Jeff Hopkins '82
BearLover
ugarte
Trotsky
BearLover

True, but if they win the Big 10, they steal an at-large slot whether they move into the top 15 or not.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the way many, if not most, of us look at stealing a spot is when a team gets in without being high enough in PWR.

Certainly for me, if a team wins their tournament and gets enough PWR to otherwise be in, then they deserve it, even if they knock us out.

Date: February 28, 2019 09:47AM

There is no "deserve." There is only "is."

Date: February 28, 2019 09:52AM

Trotsky

Sure, but you do know how "deserve" is used in this context, right?

Date: February 28, 2019 10:01AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Sure, but you do know how "deserve" is used in this context, right?
We keep losing to RPI. I don't know anything anymore.

Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.213.---)
Date: February 28, 2019 11:17AM

Trotsky

Well, that depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Date: February 28, 2019 11:27AM

Give My Regards
Trotsky

Tell me about it.

Date: February 28, 2019 08:21PM

Trotsky
Give My Regards
Trotsky

Tell me about it.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could drink you under the table.

Re: 2019-03-01: #11 Cornell at St. Lawrence
Date: March 01, 2019 01:31PM

Least improbable path to clinching #1 tonight.

I've got:

Cornell defeats SLU
Quinnipiac loses to Brown
Harvard ties/loses to RPI
Clarkson ties/loses to Colgate <-- need this because without it if we wind up in a 2-way tie with Clarkson we lose.

In other words, clinching tonight would be Extremely improbable.

So just win.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 01:34PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 01, 2019 01:52PM

Trotsky
Least improbable path to clinching #1 tonight.

I've got:

Cornell defeats SLU
Quinnipiac loses to Brown
Harvard ties/loses to RPI
Clarkson ties/loses to Colgate <-- need this because without it if we wind up in a 2-way tie with Clarkson we lose.

In other words, clinching tonight would be Extremely improbable.

So just win.

Improbable, sure. But don't sleep on Brown.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 01:53PM

From the Cornell Sun today:

Injury report:
Sophomore defenseman Cody Haiskanen is out for the year, while freshman forward Max Andreev is likely to remain out until at least the beginning of the playoffs. Sophomore forward Cam Donaldson is expected to play this weekend after battling some upper body soreness in recent weeks.

Date: March 01, 2019 02:15PM

margolism
From the Cornell Sun today:

Injury report:
Sophomore defenseman Cody Haiskanen is out for the year, while freshman forward Max Andreev is likely to remain out until at least the beginning of the playoffs. Sophomore forward Cam Donaldson is expected to play this weekend after battling some upper body soreness in recent weeks.

Every game counts and we're right in the thick of it, but I would be okay with Cam taking a game or two off to rest up. But if he's good, he's good.

Date: March 01, 2019 03:57PM

If we somehow wrapped #1 up tonight I'd definitely want him on the bench tomorrow. Not to mention Nuttle really wants to be a forward! popcorn

It's ironic that Brakel supposedly left because of playing time. Almost from the exact moment he left he would have been playing every night.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 03:58PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-26.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 04:04PM

Trotsky
If we somehow wrapped #1 up tonight I'd definitely want him on the bench tomorrow. Not to mention Nuttle really wants to be a forward! popcorn

It's ironic that Brakel supposedly left because of playing time. Almost from the exact moment he left he would have been playing every night.

I think I'd agree, but pairwise wants us to be going full speed every game.

Date: March 01, 2019 04:43PM

Dafatone
Trotsky

Is the PWR impact of winning as opposed to losing against Clarkson that big? I guess winning or tying means locking up that comparison which could matter. But otherwise it's probably decimal dust.

Date: March 01, 2019 05:00PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky

Is the PWR impact of winning as opposed to losing against Clarkson that big? I guess winning or tying means locking up that comparison which could matter. But otherwise it's probably decimal dust.

For the most part*, RPI (and PWR is pretty much just RPI these days) is just a function of your win%, your opponent's win%, and your opponent's opponent's win%. The second and third parts are just a matter of who you play, not how you do. The first part is a matter of win or lose, not who you play.

So the difference between a win and a loss vs Clarkson is the same as the difference between a win and a loss against anyone else.

*except that there's a bonus for beating a top 20 team, and road wins and home losses count more than home wins and road losses. Also, there's an adjustment to make sure beating a terrible team doesn't hurt you.

Other than those bonuses, flipping a W to a L (or vice versa) has the same impact for each game we play. There's also the comparison vs Clarkson, which is important. And Clarkson is a common opponent for ASU, who we are currently beating in the rare exception to the "it's just RPI" rule (we beat them head to head AND in common opponents).

Pairwisewise, Clarkson's a big game.

Date: March 01, 2019 05:03PM

Dafatone
Pairwisewise, Clarkson's a big game.
Thank you.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-5.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 05:06PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky

There are two games left in the regular season, plus however many games we play in the ECAC tournament. We are currently #13 in PWR, and we are playing a team who is #12. In terms of the difference between winning and losing on our chances of making the NCAA tournament, this is just about the most important regular season game one could possibly conjure up. It is monumental in determining whether we make the NCAAs or not and the #1 seed in the ECAC consideration is virtually irrelevant in comparison.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 05:07PM by BearLover.

Date: March 01, 2019 05:28PM

really need to win 3 of the next 4 and then it becomes much more clear what we need to do..

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-26.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 05:35PM

Every year, my goals are a first round bye, making Lake Placid, and making the NCAAs.

Very much up in the air, but I think if we manage the first two, we'll get the third.

Date: March 01, 2019 05:43PM

Apropos of nothing, I just took a look at the ESPN+ schedule to verify that Cornell @ SLU is on the schedule (it is), and noticed that also on the slate for tonight is Alabama @ Liberty. Yes, Jerry Falwell's university has an ACHA Div. I club team, and they're streaming tonight.

(Rensselaer @ Cornell women's hockey - ECAC quarterfinal - also streaming on ESPN+, 6pm EST.)

- Steve Worona

Date: March 01, 2019 07:41PM

2 goals by Regush and Cornell up 2-0 after 1 period.

Date: March 01, 2019 07:57PM

Is anyone else experiencing audio probs on the ESPN+ broadcast? Audio very low in the first period and no play-by-play in the 2nd, at all.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-13.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 07:59PM

redice
Is anyone else experiencing audio probs on the ESPN+ broadcast? Audio very low in the first period and no play-by-play in the 2nd, at all.

Yep. Lots of static/feedback too. No replays IIRC. Hate to complain because I feel fortunate to be able to watch, but this is pretty bush league.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2019 08:18PM

Beeeej
Yes, Jerry Falwell's university has an ACHA Div. I club team, and they're streaming tonight.

Head Coach Kirk Handy considers it "a privilege to serve at Liberty and carry on the vision of Dr. Falwell to build Young Champions for Christ."

[www.liberty.edu]

Re: 2019-03-01: Cornell 4 St. Lawrence 2
Date: March 01, 2019 09:18PM

And they can rest next weekend. cheer

Date: March 01, 2019 09:24PM

Trotsky
Donaldson does not look hurt.

Date: March 01, 2019 09:37PM

Standings now:

29 Cor   @Clk
28 Hvd   @Uni
28 Qpc    Yal
27 Clk    Cor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 09:38PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 01, 2019 09:51PM

PWR now:
 6 Quinnipiac
10 Clarkson
11 Harvard
12 Cornell

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2019 10:37PM

sah67
Beeeej
Yes, Jerry Falwell's university has an ACHA Div. I club team, and they're streaming tonight.

Head Coach Kirk Handy considers it "a privilege to serve at Liberty and carry on the vision of Dr. Falwell to build Young Champions for Christ."

[www.liberty.edu]

There's a good "cross-checking" joke in there, somewhere.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 02, 2019 01:06AM

This marks 2 years in a row that all of the "Big 3" (Cornell, Clarkson, Harvard) will finish in the ECAC Top 4.

By year

62 .KH
63 .KH
64 .K.
65 .K.
66 CK.
67 C..
68 CKH
69 C.H
70 CK.
71 CKH
72 C.H
73 C.H
74 C.H
75 C.H
76 .K.
77 CK.
78 CK.
79 C..
80 ...
81 CK.
82 .KH
83 ..H
84 ..H
85 CKH
86 C.H
87 ..H
88 C.H
89 .KH
90 CK.
91 CKH
92 .KH
93 ..H
94 .KH
95 .KH
96 CK.
97 CK.
98 .K.
99 .K.
00 C..
01 CKH
02 CKH
03 C.H
04 C..
05 C.H
06 C.H
07 CK.
08 .KH
09 C..
10 C..
11 C..
12 C.H
13 ...
14 C..
15 ...
16 ..H
17 C.H
18 CKH
19 CKH

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2019 09:59AM

I think it is interesting that all twelve teams know, before the final game, whether they are hosting, traveling, or have a bye next week.

Date: March 02, 2019 10:00AM

ugarte
PWR now:
 6 Quinnipiac
10 Clarkson
11 Harvard
12 Cornell

By the end of the night, we were back down in #13.

A win over Clarkson could easily leave us as #8 regardless of other results in the ECAC, from what I've been able to generate. Haven't done much playing around with other conference results.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 02, 2019 10:13AM

feels like beating clarkson and sweeping rd2 puts us in great shape.

losing to clarkson and sweeping round 2, we probably still need 1 win and even then it may be dicey unless others falter.

Posted by: RichH (104.238.46.---)
Date: March 02, 2019 10:32AM

ugarte
Trotsky

Excuse me, but in his celebration after he scored, he only raised his RIGHT arm.

Date: March 02, 2019 03:49PM

RichH
ugarte
Trotsky

Excuse me, but in his celebration after he scored, he only raised his RIGHT arm.

I could guess that he's heavily taped up. Thus restrictimg his ability to raise his arms.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2019 06:12PM

redice
RichH
ugarte
Trotsky

I could guess that he's heavily taped up. Thus restrictimg his ability to raise his arms.

@ Rich H: Whooosh? Or no whoosh?

Posted by: RichH (159.192.217.---)
Date: March 03, 2019 01:14AM

TimV
redice
RichH
ugarte
Trotsky

@ Rich H: Whooosh? Or no whoosh?

Whooosh.

Posted by: RichH (159.192.217.---)
Date: March 03, 2019 01:49AM

Dafatone

I don't know if it's college hockey as a whole or just the ECAC, but these matching infraction and embellishment calls are way too common, and I don't see them in the pros.

Frankly, I don't think you should be able to get embellishment if someone's committed a penalty in contacting you. Save it for true dives and faked injuries.

My favorite embellishment that didn't get called this year came after the major hit-from-behind RPI's Samec got on Mallott. Vanderlaan came over and gave Samec a shove immediately afterwards, and Samec's hands flew up unnecessarily as he flopped down. Vanderlaan got the retaliation penalty and Samec was leaving for the prior hit anyway.

[youtu.be]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login