Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - Brown

Posted by upprdeck 
Cornell - Brown
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 07:38PM

reading the Coaches notes, we are basically down to the last man on the roster.

Down to the last 6 on D until(if) Smith comes back

Only 12 left at the forward spot too

are we even going to dress 12 this week let alone 13? I guess only if Song dresses or do we call up a club player?

just wondering, i know it would never happen, but would it be legal to call up a girl on the womens team?

Re: Cornell - Brown
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 09:23PM

upprdeck

just wondering, i know it would never happen, but would it be legal to call up a girl on the womens team?
It's probably legal but it would be nice if you called her a woman. It ain't high school. Mods lock thread.

Posted by: kevdog8 (---.s3743.c3-0.43d-cbr1.qens-43d.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: February 12, 2019 09:35PM

Has Cornell ever called up a club player in the recent era? This year, Schafer has been forced to dress Song, Bramwell and Brakel (when he was here) at times but has preferred to roll 11 forwards or 5 D-men over giving those guys shifts. My guess is he dresses Song/Bramwell as needed and leaves them at the end of the bench again...

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2019 09:44PM

kevdog8
Has Cornell ever called up a club player in the recent era? This year, Schafer has been forced to dress Song, Bramwell and Brakel (when he was here) at times but has preferred to roll 11 forwards or 5 D-men over giving those guys shifts. My guess is he dresses Song/Bramwell as needed and leaves them at the end of the bench again...

Paging Damien Rocke...

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2019 09:56PM

kevdog8

Back in 2012-13 Craig Esposito was called up from club. He was also a varsity golfer.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2019 11:48PM

The NCAA game has improved so much even in the last 5 years that I have a really hard time imagining a club player out there now. He probably couldn't keep up with even the slowest guy on the ice now.

There are no more oak trees and pylons. Everybody out there is a freaking superhuman.

Posted by: BigRedHockeyFan (---.apn.wlan.upenn.edu)
Date: February 13, 2019 12:33AM

Wasn't Kevin McLeod called up from the club team in 2006?

Date: February 13, 2019 07:36AM

is girl not PC? they are kids, my wife always asks are we watching the boys or girls play tonight. when i talk to the players they say "i play on the girls team" more than they say "womans team", they do the same for other sports like tennis or golf when i talk to kids at other schools.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 07:36AM by upprdeck.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-19.myvzw.com)
Date: February 13, 2019 08:04AM

upprdeck
is girl not PC? they are kids, my wife always asks are we watching the boys or girls play tonight. when i talk to the players they say "i play on the girls team" more than they say "womans team", they do the same for other sports like tennis or golf when i talk to kids at other schools.

I'm often amused and confused by WTF the language mavens have decided at any instant.

One of my favorite phrases is"you guys" when it refers to men and women but even more so when it refers only to women. I use it at work on a semi regular basis and haven't ever noticed even a raised eyebrow. I notice females using this phrase too. I'll enjoy this expression while I can.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2019 09:04AM

upprdeck

I recall that the journalistic protocol is upon a person turning age 18 the appropriate reference is to “men” and “women”. But you’ll hear college coaches (and even pro coaches) routinely say things like “the boys played hard tonight” so I don’t think you should be drawn and quartered.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: February 13, 2019 11:26AM

Ithaca native Matt Hedge was called up from the club team. Can't remember the year. Before 2009, though.

Posted by: sah67 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 13, 2019 11:51AM

BigRedHockeyFan
Wasn't Kevin McLeod called up from the club team in 2006?

I believe McLeod was an "official" member of the team and not a call-up. HockeyDB lists him as playing 13 games over 3 seasons:
[www.hockeydb.com]

dag14
Ithaca native Matt Hedge was called up from the club team. Can't remember the year. Before 2009, though.
2007, I believe.

Posted by: sah67 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 13, 2019 11:53AM

kevdog8
My guess is he dresses Song/Bramwell as needed and leaves them at the end of the bench again...

Bramwell has actually gotten a handful of (short) shifts. Song, on the other hand, got zero in the one game he dressed for.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: February 13, 2019 02:30PM

When did JV go away?

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2019 05:58PM

nshapiro
When did JV go away?
Last season we had a JV team was 93-94.

Posted by: kevdog8 (---.s3743.c3-0.43d-cbr1.qens-43d.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: February 13, 2019 08:52PM

sah67
kevdog8
My guess is he dresses Song/Bramwell as needed and leaves them at the end of the bench again...

Bramwell has actually gotten a handful of (short) shifts. Song, on the other hand, got zero in the one game he dressed for.
Yep, seen him out there myself, he took the shift right after Donny went down last weekend. But his shifts have been few and far between. Feel bad for the kid, he looked good in preseason.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2019 08:15AM

does 'club' act as a JV team now? Can players exist on both rosters?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2019 10:00AM

Being as we have no scholie stuff, i think the whole campus is the roster

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-12.myvzw.com)
Date: February 14, 2019 12:32PM

upprdeck
Being as we have no scholie stuff, i think the whole campus is the roster

Not quite - still a bunch of ncaa eligibility steps that need to be undertaken before one is eligible to be added to a roster. Think clearinghouse, academic eligibility, amateur status etc

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 15, 2019 09:13AM

Until you have visual or genetic proof to the contrary the collective noun "you guys" is as good as any other generality.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: February 15, 2019 09:49AM

Visual/gentic proof means nothing. You have to know how someone self-identifies.rolleyes

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 15, 2019 11:05AM

We are talking genotype-phenotype here, not opinions, which vary wildly. People who act like a jackass don't actually become a jackass.

Date: February 15, 2019 06:34PM

Per Jason, Haiskanen had a second surgery and is out for the season.

Brendan Smith is back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 06:39PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: abmarks (64.9.251.---)
Date: February 15, 2019 07:16PM

So much for taking a minute or two to settle in at the puck drop.

Also, took a while to figure this out, but I realized why the brown announcers are so annoying tonight. The broadcast doesn't pick up any background noise, all you hear is the announcer. It's weird. Yeah, I know the rink is almost empty, but with no background noise at all, it's so weird and shitty.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 07:28PM

I find this announcer mildly amusing in his criticism of Brown. It seems like we haven't heard him in a while because I don't think he's done some games in previous years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 07:28PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2019 07:56PM

Announcer must have been drinking during the 1st intermission. Right? What is happening?

Date: February 15, 2019 08:21PM

"I've been hit with a puck or three in the head in my day..."

Well, I think that's been quite evident during this broadcast. smashfreak

Date: February 15, 2019 09:45PM

Welp, disappointing to fumble a point, but it could easily have been 2.

25 Cor (T at Brn)
22 Hvd (W at SLU)
22 Qpc (T at Uni)
21 Yal (W vs Cgt)
20 Clk (L vs Drt)

Make it all better with a win tomorrow, lads.

Date: February 15, 2019 09:48PM

good 45 min.. awful 55 secs and then just avg play the last 10..

still had we just put away one of the half a dozen point blanks shots we win.

brown was buzzing once we have away the puck multiples times in a row.

ties on the row are ok if we can find a way to play a better sat night game

for a team that has a really solid D we have blown multiple goal loads way too much

Posted by: scoop85 (---.greenmountainaccess.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 09:57PM

On both of Brown’s 1st 2 goals, Galajda was unable to freeze the puck when it looked like he had it in his sights. Certainly changed the complexion of the game, and Brown was on fire thereafter.

Date: February 15, 2019 10:08PM

I can't really blame Galajda for any of those goals. On every instance there were uncovered guys near the crease or below the faceoff dots. That sequence was some of the worst defense all year easily.

Date: February 15, 2019 10:33PM

Iceberg
I can't really blame Galajda for any of those goals. On every instance there were uncovered guys near the crease or below the faceoff dots. That sequence was some of the worst defense all year easily.

I wasn’t intending to blame him, just making an observation. You’re correct that the defense left him pretty much to dry on all 3 goals.

Posted by: abmarks (64.9.251.---)
Date: February 15, 2019 10:36PM

scoop85
Iceberg

I wasn’t intending to blame him, just making an observation. You’re correct that the defense left him pretty much to dry on all 3 goals.

Tru. Looked to me like he was giving up way too so many rebounds all night though.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 10:52PM

scoop85
Iceberg

Galajda did misplay the initial shot that led to the second Brown goal. But the third period as a whole was one continuous mental lapse by Cornell. The first Brown goal was the result of the entire team pinching when up 3-0 and then being too far behind the play/being too tired/being too lazy to back-check as a result. After Brown tied it, Cornell lost any semblance of awareness on offense and, rather than pass the puck, everyone on the team tried to go to the net on individual efforts, resulting in zero scoring changes and plenty of turnovers.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-199-11.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 01:07AM

I took some time getting out of Providence and to I95 on the way to New Haven. Surprised was I when I passed a Swarthout bus. Was that the team? Did Coach put the guys on the bus without showering?

It wasn’t the band, they were staying with the Brown band for the night. Who else could it be?

Date: February 16, 2019 07:43AM

Jim Hyla
I took some time getting out of Providence and to I95 on the way to New Haven. Surprised was I when I passed a Swarthout bus. Was that the team? Did Coach put the guys on the bus without showering?

It wasn’t the band, they were staying with the Brown band for the night. Who else could it be?

Women's basketball team also played at Brown last night.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 09:32AM

BearLover
After Brown tied it, Cornell lost any semblance of awareness on offense and, rather than pass the puck, everyone on the team tried to go to the net on individual efforts, resulting in zero scoring changes and plenty of turnovers.

That was one of Schafer's specific critiques in his post-game comments to the Sun:

Schafer
“[Brown] played well, we got point hungry and it came back and bit us in the ass. They just don’t chip pucks down on the boards in the neutral zone,” Schafer said. “We had a 2-on-1 and we decided our forward and our defensemen also wanted to join and make it a 4-on-1 so if we miss the net like we did, then it goes back the other way into a 3-on-1 and they end up scoring and we didn’t back check.”

Also not happy with the officiating:
Schafer
Schafer, citing his lineup already shorthanded due to injuries, was especially irked about two knee-on-knee plays he said should be submitted for “supplemental discipline.” Cornell was also penalized for a bizarre faceoff violation in the final seconds of overtime.

“All the stuff they let go and then all of a sudden they call the weakest call in the book,” Schafer said of the referees. “The kid drops his stick so it’s an automatic call, forget about holding, cross-checking, boarding and all that stuff. We’ve gotta get that dropping the stick out of the game, it’s frickin dangerous.”

“It’s frustrating when you have the lead three-nothing and absolutely it’s dictated by not gonna call anything more [for] the team that’s got the three-nothing lead,” Schafer said. “That’s happened in officiating for years and years and years. It’s just that we gotta overcome that and not cheat the game and get frustrated with it.”

Date: February 16, 2019 11:06AM

if they give an A effort vs Yale a tie wont be a bad thing,

Posted by: scoop85 (---.gmavt.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 11:41AM

He did that after an embarrassing loss at Army about 20 years ago

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2019 11:45AM

scoop85

Yup, he did it his first season as head coach (1995-96) after losing at Army 4-1, including having them run around Army's rink for a while still in their gear before letting them on the bus. He regretted it so much (because he had to suffer with the players' stench, too) that he swore he'd never do it again.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-18.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 12:54PM

Brown is 28th in the pairwise. What a world.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (12.197.157.---)
Date: February 16, 2019 01:47PM

ACM
Jim Hyla

Women's basketball team also played at Brown last night.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Date: February 16, 2019 02:24PM

Dafatone
Brown is 28th in the pairwise. What a world.
Good. Way better than dumping points to, I dunno, RPI or Colgate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 02:25PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: February 16, 2019 03:35PM

I was at that Army game, and waited outside by the bus afterward to give a care package to the player who lived with my family. Needless to say, the care package did not get on the bus. The guys didn't look at any of the waiting fans, let alone stop to talk, as they went to the bus.

Date: February 16, 2019 04:50PM

dag14
I was at that Army game, and waited outside by the bus afterward to give a care package to the player who lived with my family. Needless to say, the care package did not get on the bus. The guys didn't look at any of the waiting fans, let alone stop to talk, as they went to the bus.

IIRC, the weather was crappy that night, and I decided not to go even thoug I live less than 30 minutes from West Point. A decision I’ve never regretted.

Date: February 16, 2019 05:16PM

Beeeej
scoop85

Yup, he did it his first season as head coach (1995-96) after losing at Army 4-1, including having them run around Army's rink for a while still in their gear before letting them on the bus. He regretted it so much (because he had to suffer with the players' stench, too) that he swore he'd never do it again.
Not to mention the blowback he received from Athletics for the violations of NCAA, Ivy League and school policy, which would have resulted in the loss of his job if it happened again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login