Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Bracketology 2019

Posted by Swampy 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bracketology 2019
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 08:10AM

Another thing according to my second-favorite site: the #1 seeds are set (though their order can change):

1    2    3    4
1.00                 St. Cloud
      .65  .27  .08  UMass
      .24  .49  .27  Mankato
      .11  .24  .65  Minn-Duluth

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 08:24AM

"Today's" bracket would pose an interesting decision for the committee. The ECAC teams other than Q are in the 9-12 slots along with ASU. This likely puts ASU in Providence VS QPeck.

That in turn means that one of the remaining teams has to hitchhike to Fargo. Clarkson at 9 would by the numbers draw N. Eastern in Manchester.

But it's more likely Harvard would go there. Which would mean Cornell and Clarkson would be Fighting for Fargo.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 08:26AM by marty.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:15AM

but since one of harvard/clark will lose things will change. clarkson beating harvard and they probably go to the 2 line.

if we win out we might be able to get ahead of both clarson and harvard and stay east easier.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 09:20AM by upprdeck.

Date: March 18, 2019 09:30AM

upprdeck
but since one of harvard/clark will lose things will change. clarkson beating harvard and they probably go to the 2 line.

if we win out we might be able to get ahead of both clarson and harvard and stay east easier.

And that is why doing this is only exercise - and fun for some of us.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 11:16AM

if anyone is still on the fence as to the intelligence level of your average college hockey fan, I will gladly data dump my inbox and twitter feed from this weekend.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 11:26AM

adamw
if anyone is still on the fence as to the intelligence level of

The answer to this question is always no.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 01:15PM

To sum up the numbers-crunching I've done so far (keep in mind that Pairwise is just RPI except in weird exceptional cases):

If we beat Brown, we're almost definitely in. There is a scenario where we aren't, though: If Western Michigan wins the NCHC, BU or BC wins Hockey East, Bowling Green wins the WCHA, AND Sucks beats us in the ECAC finals, we wind up in 14th, with at large bids only going to the top 13. I didn't crunch this for every iteration of Atlantic Hockey, but it's unlikely that changes there would get us the .0017 we need to catch Clarkson in RPI.

If we lose to Brown, we're still in better shape than not, but things start getting hairy. If everything shakes out just wrong, we fall below Providence in RPI. Bowling Green passes us if they win, and maybe still if they lose depending on how other things go. Western Michigan passes us if they win their conference, or if they lose their semi-final game and beat St. Cloud in the third-place game, but not if they beat Denver in a semi-final (though this could change with various other details). If we lose and Harvard loses, it gets very tight between the two of us. The lowest we could drop is 16th, which would have us out. How many teams pass us and how many spots are available is the question.

Root for Clarkson over Harvard, Western Michigan to lose twice, and the favorites to win in Hockey East (NE and UMass) and WCHA (Minnesota State). CHN has us at 95% to get in. That honestly sounds about right, but keep in mind their methods don't calculate how hot a team is at the moment, so they probably underrate Brown.

That being said, Brown's up to 26th in the Pairwise. What a world.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:24PM

Dafatone
To sum up the numbers-crunching I've done so far (keep in mind that Pairwise is just RPI except in weird exceptional cases):

If we beat Brown, we're almost definitely in. There is a scenario where we aren't, though: If Western Michigan wins the NCHC, BU or BC wins Hockey East, Bowling Green wins the WCHA, AND Sucks beats us in the ECAC finals, we wind up in 14th, with at large bids only going to the top 13. I didn't crunch this for every iteration of Atlantic Hockey, but it's unlikely that changes there would get us the .0017 we need to catch Clarkson in RPI.

If we lose to Brown, we're still in better shape than not, but things start getting hairy. If everything shakes out just wrong, we fall below Providence in RPI. Bowling Green passes us if they win, and maybe still if they lose depending on how other things go. Western Michigan passes us if they win their conference, or if they lose their semi-final game and beat St. Cloud in the third-place game, but not if they beat Denver in a semi-final (though this could change with various other details). If we lose and Harvard loses, it gets very tight between the two of us. The lowest we could drop is 16th, which would have us out. How many teams pass us and how many spots are available is the question.

Root for Clarkson over Harvard, Western Michigan to lose twice, and the favorites to win in Hockey East (NE and UMass) and WCHA (Minnesota State). CHN has us at 95% to get in. That honestly sounds about right, but keep in mind their methods don't calculate how hot a team is at the moment, so they probably underrate Brown.

my goal is to take recent play into account in future iterations of the Probability Matrix. Again, this will require someone better at math than I am to help come up with a formula.

FYI - I don't think you noted that WMU plays a Game 3 tonight - and so just that one loss would help as well.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:34PM

adamw
Dafatone

my goal is to take recent play into account in future iterations of the Probability Matrix. Again, this will require someone better at math than I am to help come up with a formula.

FYI - I don't think you noted that WMU plays a Game 3 tonight - and so just that one loss would help as well.

Thanks! I forgot about that makeup game. So, if CC beats WMU, then WMU is out of our way and we only have to worry about CC winning the NCHC. If WMU beats CC, they get a leg up in the pairwise, and we probably need them to lose both of their remaining games for us to stay ahead of them if we lose to Brown.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2019 02:18PM

if CC beats west mich and minn duluth and st cloud then they deserve to get in.

bowling green has pretty good shot at beating Minn st

we can drop out, we can get a 2 seed..

lets just beat brown and the worry on sat..

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:38PM

Dafatone
adamw
Dafatone

Thanks! I forgot about that makeup game. So, if CC beats WMU, then WMU is out of our way and we only have to worry about CC winning the NCHC. If WMU beats CC, they get a leg up in the pairwise, and we probably need them to lose both of their remaining games for us to stay ahead of them if we lose to Brown.
WMU just lost to CC. Does that mean we're in barring CC winning the NCHC (which would require two major upsets)? WMU looked to be in fairly safe territory to make the NCAAs a month ago. Then they gave up two goals to #1 SCSU in the final three minutes and things went downhill from there. The NCHC is a brutally difficult conference.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-150.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:38PM

Colorado College has beaten Western Michigan. This is good.

It looks like the worst we could do is 15th.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-150.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:40PM

BearLover
Dafatone
adamw
Dafatone

WMU just lost to CC. Does that mean we're in barring CC winning the NCHC (which would require two major upsets)? WMU looked to be in fairly safe territory to make the NCAAs a month ago. Then they gave up two goals to #1 SCSU in the final three minutes and things went downhill from there. The NCHC is a brutally difficult conference.

I don't think it's quite that neat. Brown winning the ECAC or BU/BC winning Hockey East could threaten us as well.

Date: March 18, 2019 09:45PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone
adamw
Dafatone

I don't think it's quite that neat. Brown winning the ECAC or BU/BC winning Hockey East could threaten us as well.
Ah, thanks. We could really drop below Prov? Even still, I didn't think this through enough--Brown+BU/BC winning would mean we'd need to be top-13.

EDIT: Yeah, I played around with the CHN "You are the Committee" tool, and it looks like there are still quite a few permutations that would lead to us missing the NCAAs. Seems like the key is Brown not winning the ECAC. Brown winning would not only would take away an at-large spot, but it would boost Providence's ranking because they played each other twice.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 10:02PM by BearLover.

Date: March 18, 2019 10:33PM

You Are The Committee

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 10:58PM

adamw
You Are The Committee

This is slick. Works well on my iPhone. Thanks, Adam.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 11:15PM

Dafatone
Root for Clarkson over Harvard,

I realize that the post I am quoting is talking about what it takes to make sure we get into the tourney.

But if we prefer to root for the things that get is as high as possible in the pairwise, I believe we need to root for Harvard (ouch) over Clarkson.

Using Adam's "You Are The Committee" site, and selecting all the favorites, including Clarkson over Harvard, we wind up 8th in pairwise. Switch the Harvard and Clarkson result, so that we beat Harvard in the Championship game (always fun) and we wind up 7th in pairwise.

Date: March 18, 2019 11:52PM

andyw2100
Dafatone

I realize that the post I am quoting is talking about what it takes to make sure we get into the tourney.

But if we prefer to root for the things that get is as high as possible in the pairwise, I believe we need to root for Harvard (ouch) over Clarkson.

Using Adam's "You Are The Committee" site, and selecting all the favorites, including Clarkson over Harvard, we wind up 8th in pairwise. Switch the Harvard and Clarkson result, so that we beat Harvard in the Championship game (always fun) and we wind up 7th in pairwise.

Absolute best finish is, somehow, 6th. There's a bunch that goes into it, but ND over Penn State and UMass not doing as well in Hockey East helps us against Ohio State. Northeastern losing in the semis or finals helps us pass Northeastern, and Denver would have to lose in both the semis and the consolation game in the NCHC. We pass Clarkson and ASU if we win out.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 12:05AM

Dafatone
andyw2100
Dafatone

Absolute best finish is, somehow, 6th. There's a bunch that goes into it, but ND over Penn State and UMass not doing as well in Hockey East helps us against Ohio State. Northeastern losing in the semis or finals helps us pass Northeastern, and Denver would have to lose in both the semis and the consolation game in the NCHC. We pass Clarkson and ASU if we win out.
my interests are more morbid and we can definitely beat brown and still fall to 13th and out

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 07:11AM

we beat brown and lots of bad has to happen to not get in

we lose to brown and there is still some good that can happen to get in.

basically the higher we want to finish the more we want bad teams to win and our margin of error gets slimmer.

if we win friday it will become pretty clear by nights end just how much chaos we can root for

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: March 19, 2019 07:54AM

ugarte
Dafatone
andyw2100
Dafatone

my interests are more morbid and we can definitely beat brown and still fall to 13th and out
Regardless of pairwise.... if they cannot find a way to work past Brown on Friday I will have little confidence in their ability to win games in the NC$$. Our best bet for next week is to have a healthy Big Red team firing on all cylinders and on a 4-game winning streak.

Date: March 19, 2019 09:02AM

upprdeck
basically the higher we want to finish the more we want bad teams to win and our margin of error gets slimmer.

We wind up seventh with chalk and a single upset of Harvard over Clarkson.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 09:44AM

A post on USCHO states that both the CHN and USCHO predictors treat the B1G and WCHA on campus tourney games as neutral site. The poster and I both wonder if this is correct. It, of course, can matter.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 10:42AM

KenP
ugarte
Dafatone
andyw2100
Dafatone

Regardless of pairwise.... if they cannot find a way to work past Brown on Friday I will have little confidence in their ability to win games in the NC$$. Our best bet for next week is to have a healthy Big Red team firing on all cylinders and on a 4-game in the middle of an 8-game winning streak.

FYP

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 19, 2019 05:11PM

Bracketology: Last one before March 24 NCAA selection show has Bowling Green in, Western Michigan out

This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):
16 American International vs. 1 St. Cloud State
12 Harvard vs. 6 Denver

Midwest Regional (Allentown):
15 Notre Dame vs. 3 Minnesota State
11 Cornell vs. 7 Ohio State

East Regional (Providence):
14 Providence vs. 4 Minnesota Duluth
10 Arizona State vs. 5 Quinnipiac

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
13 Bowling Green vs. 2 Massachusetts
9 Clarkson vs. 8 Northeastern
Conference breakdowns

ECAC Hockey — 4
Hockey East — 3
NCHC — 3
Big Ten – 2
WCHA — 2
Atlantic Hockey – 1
Independent – 1

Time to feel sorry for Harvard, but isn't there some way we can get Q away from ASU?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 05:13PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: March 19, 2019 05:21PM

Jim Hyla
Bracketology: Last one before March 24 NCAA selection show has Bowling Green in, Western Michigan out

This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):
12 Harvard vs. 6 Denver

Conference breakdowns

ECAC Hockey — 4
Hockey East — 3
NCHC — 3
Big Ten – 2
WCHA — 2
Atlantic Hockey – 1
Independent – 1

Time to feel sorry for Harvard, but isn't there some way we can get Q away from ASU?

The only reason Q got ASU was to prevent an ECAC first round matchup. Because it is extremely unlikely that 3 of the 4 teams that can be seeded against Q will be from our league, this bracket is just a mental bubble gum chew for the nerd in us (me!).

5 won't often be matched with 10.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2019 05:39PM

Jim Hyla

This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):
12 Harvard vs. 6 Denver

Conference breakdowns

ECAC Hockey — 4
Hockey East — 3
NCHC — 3
Big Ten – 2
WCHA — 2
Atlantic Hockey – 1
Independent – 1

I would be totally fine with this bracket.

From what I can tell, the Frozen Four bracket projects semifinal matchups of east vs. northeast and west vs. midwest. Does anybody know or recall whether they've messed with that in the past in order to preserve the likelihood of 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 semifinals should the top seeds prevail in the regionals, or whether it's a strictly set-in-advance thing?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-8.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2019 08:18PM

Jim Hyla
Time to feel sorry for Harvard
never

Date: March 19, 2019 08:30PM

I did, in fact, fix a glitch this morning regarding neutral sites/Big Ten/WCHA ... may have to clear cache to make sure it goes into effect on the user end.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 08:59PM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla

This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):
12 Harvard vs. 6 Denver

Conference breakdowns

ECAC Hockey — 4
Hockey East — 3
NCHC — 3
Big Ten – 2
WCHA — 2
Atlantic Hockey – 1
Independent – 1

From what I can tell, the Frozen Four bracket projects semifinal matchups of east vs. northeast and west vs. midwest. Does anybody know or recall whether they've messed with that in the past in order to preserve the likelihood of 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 semifinals should the top seeds prevail in the regionals, or whether it's a strictly set-in-advance thing?

Pretty sure they do 1-4 and 2-3 rather than fixed regional locations.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 09:25PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jim Hyla

This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):
12 Harvard vs. 6 Denver

Conference breakdowns

ECAC Hockey — 4
Hockey East — 3
NCHC — 3
Big Ten – 2
WCHA — 2
Atlantic Hockey – 1
Independent – 1

Pretty sure they do 1-4 and 2-3 rather than fixed regional locations.
Yes, it's bracketed based upon the regions where the overall top 4 seeds are, and has been since 2004. Basketball now does the same thing.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2019 06:52PM

BU and Northeastern are in overtime. A win by the Terriers would help us out.

Posted by: RichH (159.192.222.---)
Date: March 22, 2019 06:59PM

KenP
BU and Northeastern are in overtime. A win by the Terriers would help us out.

I'm rooting for the scenarios where Union gets an at-large bid, considering some of their players have already signed pro contracts. Luckily, this requires us winning tomorrow. Northeastern has to win to get there as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2019 07:00PM by RichH.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-8.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2019 07:19PM

Northeastern wins and st. cloud is burying CC.

Date: March 22, 2019 07:22PM

ugarte
With Northeastern's win I believe Cornell will make its third NCAA in a row, a first under Schafer. Funny to think back now on all the griping (mine included) when the team missed out on the NCAAs for four years straight preceding this current run.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2019 07:31PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: March 22, 2019 07:45PM

RichH
I'm rooting for the scenarios where Union gets an at-large bid, considering some of their players have already signed pro contracts. Luckily, this requires us winning tomorrow. Northeastern has to win to get there as well.

So boneheaded! This result would be hilarious.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2019 08:56PM

RichH

Well, that would be hilarious. Do any of those scenarios result in 5 ECAC teams in?

Date: March 22, 2019 10:19PM

BearLover
ugarte
With Northeastern's win I believe Cornell will make its third NCAA in a row, a first under Schafer. Funny to think back now on all the griping (mine included) when the team missed out on the NCAAs for four years straight preceding this current run.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to tell everyone who insisted that we couldn't possibly get an at-large bid when we were 5-5 that they were wrong.

Now let's go get an automatic bid and not an at-large one.

Date: March 22, 2019 10:48PM

multiple shots to get to 7 seed. PSU losing would help since it keeps them out of allentown too.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2019 11:37PM

upprdeck
multiple shots to get to 7 seed. PSU losing would help since it keeps them out of allentown too.

Basically...

If we win and Northeastern and Denver both lose (or Denver ties), we get to 7. If either one of those two win, we get 8. If they both win, we get 9.

We lose, and we're 11 in most cases, except if Bowling Green beats Mankato. Then BG gets 11 and we're 12.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-220-21.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2019 11:39PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Basically...

If we win and Northeastern and Denver both lose (or Denver ties), we get to 7. If either one of those two win, we get 8. If they both win, we get 9.

We lose, and we're 11 in most cases, except if Bowling Green beats Mankato. Then BG gets 11 and we're 12.

Thanks

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2019 08:23AM

So Harvard is in right? 4 ECAC teams guaranteed.

What is the scenario for union to get in? NE, ND, Minn St wins???

Posted by: RichH (104.238.46.---)
Date: March 23, 2019 08:31AM

CU2007

It's the first time since The Divorce that the ECAC got 4 teams in.

With BC's upset of UMass, Union has been eliminated. UMass & Northeastern had to play in the HEA Final, but BC's win pushed Providence out of reach of Union. I bet Bennett exhaled just a little bit.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 08:34AM

CU2007

Looks like Harvard is in and Union is out. The team that is sweating today’s results that can’t punch its own ticket is Providence.

Posted by: marty (---.199.65.149.choopa.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 08:45AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Basically...

Please no 8 or 9. Fargo gets 8 and 9 unless they are both from the same conference.

Posted by: KenP (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 09:14AM

marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Basically...

Please no 8 or 9. Fargo gets 8 and 9 unless they are both from the same conference.

According to playoffstatus we are 8-9 if we win or 11-12 if we lose.

Date: March 23, 2019 09:20AM

so if the rules say bracket integrity matters and they want 1-4 2-3.. why is that always thrown out the window for distance the first thing when the brackets are created in the mocks?

Date: March 23, 2019 09:53AM

marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Basically...

They won't be. If we're 8 or 9, Clarkson will drop well below us and Quinny will be above us.

Posted by: Robin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 10:35AM

We win and we may be off to Fargo? Hopefully some juggling goes on.

Posted by: Robin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 11:14AM

PC isn't the host in Providence, correct? At a 3 seed, if they make NCAAs, is PC a lock to stay in Providence regardless?

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.127.---)
Date: March 23, 2019 11:31AM

I don't know about everyone else, but if winning the ECACs gets us sent to Fargo, while losing tonight gets us closer to home, I'd rather have the ECAC title even if it means most of us won't get to watch the NCAA games next weekend in person. After all, we haven't wont the ECACS since 2010. It's time to end the drought!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 11:41AM

[Disregard - I find the answer but not how to delete a post!]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2019 11:44AM by RatushnyFan.

Date: March 23, 2019 01:38PM

RatushnyFan
[Disregard - I find the answer but not how to delete a post!]

Guessing you also figured out how to delete a post, since the post with the question seems to be gone... :)

Date: March 23, 2019 01:49PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Basically...

They won't be. If we're 8 or 9, Clarkson will drop well below us and Quinny will be above us.

Using the CHN "You Are The Committee" site, having all the higher seeds except Denver win, gets us in 8th and Clarkson in 9th. Switching that up and having BU beat Northeastern gets us 7th and Clarkson 8th.

Date: March 23, 2019 02:56PM

andyw2100
Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Basically...

Using the CHN "You Are The Committee" site, having all the higher seeds except Denver win, gets us in 8th and Clarkson in 9th. Switching that up and having BU beat Northeastern gets us 7th and Clarkson 8th.

OK, mea culpa.

Date: March 23, 2019 03:00PM

dbilmes
I don't know about everyone else, but if winning the ECACs gets us sent to Fargo, while losing tonight gets us closer to home, I'd rather have the ECAC title even if it means most of us won't get to watch the NCAA games next weekend in person. After all, we haven't wont the ECACS since 2010. It's time to end the drought!

I agree with that sentiment. Let's win in Placid and let the chips fall...

Date: March 23, 2019 03:19PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
dbilmes

+1

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-13.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2019 03:43PM

andyw2100
Jeff Hopkins '82
dbilmes

+1
agreed. I care more about winning NCAA than winning ECAC but I care much more about winning ECAC than seeding considerations once we're already in.

Date: March 23, 2019 05:45PM

ugarte
andyw2100
Jeff Hopkins '82
dbilmes

+1
agreed. I care more about winning NCAA than winning ECAC but I care much more about winning ECAC than seeding considerations once we're already in.

I have a better idea. Let's all chip in and pay off the committee to send the team to a venue we prefer. If rich kids can get into Yale by bribing university officials, surely we can come up with a bribe that would get our guys into Providence (or even Allentown).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2019 05:45PM by Swampy.

Date: March 23, 2019 05:54PM

Swampy
ugarte
andyw2100
Jeff Hopkins '82
dbilmes

+1

I have a better idea. Let's all chip in and pay off the committee to send the team to a venue we prefer. If rich kids can get into Yale by bribing university officials, surely we can come up with a bribe that would get our guys into Providence (or even Allentown).

What does hosting entail? I have to figure that ultimately, it's just paying up. Let's host in Providence or Allentown, or maybe try to put a regional in some upstate NY town.

Date: March 23, 2019 05:55PM

we could host anytime we wanted in albany or buffalo. but it requires some effort from the AD and the staff to organize things..

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2019 06:19PM

upprdeck
we could host anytime we wanted in albany or buffalo. but it requires some effort from the AD and the staff to organize things..

For a regional, Rochester is probably easier than Buffalo. Someone should find out what it takes.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-5.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2019 06:25PM

Jim Hyla
upprdeck

For a regional, Rochester is probably easier than Buffalo. Someone should find out what it takes.
Syracuse and Binghamton also have big enough rinks, right?

Date: March 23, 2019 10:01PM

i thought they had to be 10k or more to qualify

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-8.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2019 10:05PM

upprdeck

More than that. Albany is now too small.

Posted by: RichH (159.192.222.---)
Date: March 23, 2019 10:14PM

marty
upprdeck

It is? Albany seats 14,000. The regional site in Fargo only seats 5,000 for hockey. Allentown seats 9,000.

Unless you mean for Frozen Four sites.

Date: March 23, 2019 11:03PM

perhaps you are right thats its much lower than a final 4 requirement.

Date: March 23, 2019 11:10PM

RichH
marty
upprdeck

It is? Albany seats 14,000. The regional site in Fargo only seats 5,000 for hockey. Allentown seats 9,000.

Unless you mean for Frozen Four sites.

Sorry. I meant Frozen Four and the topic was regionals. I'm under the weather and hope to get my marbles back soon.

Date: March 23, 2019 11:28PM

So.... looking at CHN PWR... the 2 and 3 seeds look like a natural split - 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9. No 1st round conflicts. Unless they really screw around for travel reasons we are #11 against #6 Northeastern.

Only question is which venue....

Date: March 23, 2019 11:29PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
upprdeck

Bing is definitely too small, under 5K. By some standards Syr is big enough, over 6K, but from my point of view, Rochester is better.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2019 11:35PM

Makott tore his ACL per Schafer.

(Sorry, meant for this to be on the game thread)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2019 11:40PM by scoop85.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2019 11:45PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
upprdeck

Bing is definitely too small, under 5K. By some standards Syr is big enough, over 6K, but from my point of view, Rochester is better.

Mine too, since I could walk to the rink from my house. :D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 23, 2019 11:52PM

KenP
So.... looking at CHN PWR... the 2 and 3 seeds look like a natural split - 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9. No 1st round conflicts. Unless they really screw around for travel reasons we are #11 against #6 Northeastern.

We're likely in Providence vs. NE
Whoever ends up 3rd in pairwise after the NCHC OT game finishes will likely play Providence.

In Manchester it will be UMass vs Harvard and Clarkson vs Notre Dame unless the committee moves ND to Allentown.

Allentown will be number2 vs Bowling Green & QPeck vs OSU

Fargo will be number 1 vs AIC & Denver vs ASU.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-3.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2019 11:52PM

scoop85
Makott tore his ACL per Schafer.

(Sorry, meant for this to be on the game thread)

Wow. Well that sucks.

Date: March 24, 2019 12:11AM

marty
KenP

Whoever ends up 3rd in pairwise after the NCHC OT game finishes will likely play Providence.

In Manchester it will be UMass vs Harvard and Clarkson vs Notre Dame unless the committee moves ND to Allentown.

Not quite.

If Duluth beats St.Cloud, Duluth finishes #2 and they get #15 BGSU (probably in Allentown) and since UMass can't play Providence, Mankato gets Providence and UMass gets Harvard. But if St.Cloud beats Duluth, Duluth drops to #4 and Mankato is #2. Mankato can't play #15 BGSU, so likely Mankato gets Harvard, UMass gets BGSU, and Duluth gets Providence.

As said above, we get Northeastern. The only question is where. I think it depends on which game the committee thinks will be a better draw in Allentown - QPac-ASU, NEastern-Cornell, or Clarkson-Notre Dame.

Edit: And Duluth wins.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 12:28AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: marty (168.235.194.---)
Date: March 24, 2019 12:29AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
KenP

Not quite.

If Duluth beats St.Cloud, Duluth finishes #2 and they get #15 BGSU (probably in Allentown) and since UMass can't play Providence, Mankato gets Providence and UMass gets Harvard. But if St.Cloud beats Duluth, Duluth drops to #4 and Mankato is #2. Mankato can't play #15 BGSU, so likely Mankato gets Harvard, UMass gets BGSU, and Duluth gets Providence.

As said above, we get Northeastern. The only question is where. I think it depends on which game the committee thinks will be a better draw - QPac-ASU, NEastern-Cornell, or Clarkson-Notre Dame.

Don't you think tOSU will be moved to Allentown and ASU will go to Fargo?

Date: March 24, 2019 12:42AM

Here's Adam's

Fargo
1. St. Cloud State vs. 16. American International
8. Denver vs. 9. Ohio State

Allentown
2. Minnesota-Duluth vs. 15. Bowling Green
7. Quinnipiac vs. 10. Arizona State

Providence
3. Minnesota State vs. 14. Providence
6. Northeastern vs. 11. Cornell

Manchester
4. Massachusetts vs. 13. Harvard
5. Clarkson vs. 12. Notre Dame

and USCHO

West Regional (Fargo):
9 Ohio State vs. 8 Denver

15 Bowling Green vs. 2 Minnesota Duluth
10 Arizona State vs. 7 Quinnipiac

14 Providence vs. 3 Minnesota State
11 Cornell vs. 6 Northeastern

13 Harvard vs. 4 Massachusetts
12 Notre Dame vs. 5 Clarkson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 12:45AM by Jim Hyla.

Date: March 24, 2019 12:43AM

marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
KenP

Not quite.

As said above, we get Northeastern. The only question is where. I think it depends on which game the committee thinks will be a better draw - QPac-ASU, NEastern-Cornell, or Clarkson-Notre Dame.

Don't know. It depends on what "bracket integrity" means. If that means they keep 5-12, 6-11, etc. intact and they move the pairs around, then I think the 8-9 pairing stays intact in Fargo. If bracket integrity simply means that they can move the 3 seeds anywhere as they see fit, then yeah, they can swap OSU and ASU as you suggest.

Personally, if I were on the committee, I could see either NEastern-Cornell or Clarkson-Notre Dame getting swapped to Allentown. I think the better choice for overall attendance is to swap NE-CU, since that puts at least two eastern schools in Allentown and two in Providence, but I can also see them putting Clarkson-Notre Dame there since Notre Dame is a midwestern school and they can rationalize the name of the regional.

But either way, I don't see much likelihood in us going to Fargo, which is just fine with me.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-3.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2019 01:10AM

Way more Cornell fans in Allentown vs Providence IMO. The NYC alumni can get to Allentown easily, won’t bother going to providence. MAKE IT HAPPEN NC$$

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 01:39AM

Win two at the Dunk to earn a trip to Buffalo? With Minnesota State in the same regional?

Seems like a novel idea.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 02:11AM

Women lose to clarkson in ecac final. Play northeastern in NCAAs. Men lose to clarkson in ecac final, play northeastern in NCAAs too? Weird.

Posted by: marty (168.235.194.---)
Date: March 24, 2019 04:50AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
KenP

Not quite.

Don't know. It depends on what "bracket integrity" means. If that means they keep 5-12, 6-11, etc. intact and they move the pairs around, then I think the 8-9 pairing stays intact in Fargo. If bracket integrity simply means that they can move the 3 seeds anywhere as they see fit, then yeah, they can swap OSU and ASU as you suggest.

Personally, if I were on the committee, I could see either NEastern-Cornell or Clarkson-Notre Dame getting swapped to Allentown. I think the better choice for overall attendance is to swap NE-CU, since that puts at least two eastern schools in Allentown and two in Providence, but I can also see them putting Clarkson-Notre Dame there since Notre Dame is a midwestern school and they can rationalize the name of the regional.

But either way, I don't see much likelihood in us going to Fargo, which is just fine with me.

It's interesting that Adam and Jason have identical brackets. You have ND as a possible Allentown bracket and I have tOSU there. I think one of those teams will be there.

It's a tOSUp.

Posted by: RichH (104.238.46.---)
Date: March 24, 2019 05:02AM

marty
It's a tOSUp.

Marty.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2019 10:18AM

Harvard @ Cornell national title game, anyone?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 24, 2019 10:57AM

so from Jason Bracket article if attendance is a concern and it always is..

in the west fargo is pretty solid
in the east you ave cornell/Ne and prov all will have decent followings

in the midwest. Ariz st will bring few, Quin doesnt really travel. not sure bow many BG or MD will bring
in the NE should have solid attendance

but if crowds are wanted not sure why you wouldn't flip cornell/NE and Ari/Quin

West Regional (Fargo):

Posted by: JohnF81 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 11:32AM

Yes, from an attendance perspective it makes sense. But if we beat Northeastern I would rather face Minnesota State or Providence than Duluth.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 12:13PM

I find it funny that for the 3rd straight year Cornell is going to face a HE team in the regionals and those are the teams that seemingly everybody in the conference except for Cornell has been playing OOC games against in recent years
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 12:15PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2019 04:39PM

upprdeck
so from Jason Bracket article if attendance is a concern and it always is..

in the west fargo is pretty solid
in the east you ave cornell/Ne and prov all will have decent followings

in the midwest. Ariz st will bring few, Quin doesnt really travel. not sure bow many BG or MD will bring
in the NE should have solid attendance

but if crowds are wanted not sure why you wouldn't flip cornell/NE and Ari/Quin

West Regional (Fargo):

I still like the idea of switching ASU & tOSU. Probably doesn't increase Allentown attendance that much, but it is an easier drive from Columbus and I'd assume there are more tOSU grads in eastern cities than ASU grads. I don't think attendance to Fargo is a problem, as I expect it was sold out, or close to, already. But, because of N Dakota's recent troubles, I might be wrong on that. It's a small venue, so probably okay.

Date: March 24, 2019 05:55PM

Just curious where would we most likely be playing had they won last night?

Date: March 24, 2019 06:56PM

KenP
Just curious where would we most likely be playing had they won last night?

Still wish we had WON!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 07:14PM by marty.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2019 07:06PM

No changes

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 07:07PM

And they kept it simple...We're in Providence.

Date: March 24, 2019 07:08PM

Vs. Northeastern in Providence it is. But the bracket is about as good as we could hope for. Northeastern is really good, but we have a puncher’s chance. And as someone mentioned if we get by the 1st game we wouldn’t have to deal with Duluth.

Date: March 24, 2019 07:12PM

Jim Hyla
No changes

Jason's terse bracket was correct if boring. At least Adam added some color to his analysis.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 07:25PM

marty
Jim Hyla
No changes

Jason's terse bracket was correct if boring. At least Adam added some color to his analysis.

Jason seems to take previous posts and edits them. He often leaves in vestiges of those previous posts.

Date: March 24, 2019 07:37PM

ursusminor
marty
Jim Hyla
No changes

Jason seems to take previous posts and edits them. He often leaves in vestiges of those previous posts.

Thanks to both of them for teaching us how this works.

Date: March 24, 2019 08:32PM

More of this please

Date: March 24, 2019 08:38PM

Iceberg
I find it funny that for the 3rd straight year Cornell is going to face a HE team in the regionals and those are the teams that seemingly everybody in the conference except for Cornell has been playing OOC games against in recent years

You must not have gotten this message.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 10:46PM

scoop85
More of this please
My son was 9 months old and I woke him up yelling when Barlow scored that goal and I reminded my wife of it when I watched that clip and let me tell you she is not even a little less mad about it.

Date: March 24, 2019 11:03PM

ugarte
scoop85
More of this please
My son was 9 months old and I woke him up yelling when Barlow scored that goal and I reminded my wife of it when I watched that clip and let me tell you she is not even a little less mad about it.

You mean my wife isn’t the only one who thinks screaming at the tube during a Cornell game is insane?

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login