Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Gonna Fly Now/Gary Glitter

Posted by LGR14 
Gonna Fly Now/Gary Glitter
Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2019 10:20AM

What's up with the band this year playing Gonna Fly Now before the teams get back on the ice, such that Gary Glitter starts early and fans are telling the Sieve he sucks before he's even on the ice? The old timing worked forever - not sure why they felt the need to change it.

Re: Gonna Fly Now/Gary Glitter
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2019 11:02AM

LGR14
What's up with the band this year playing Gonna Fly Now before the teams get back on the ice, such that Gary Glitter starts early and fans are telling the Sieve he sucks before he's even on the ice? The old timing worked forever - not sure why they felt the need to change it.

I wasn't privy to the conversation, but my impression is they've been moving it up a little each of the last few years - because if they don't, they have to stop playing it before it's over when the ref drops the puck. This way they get through the entire thing.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2019 12:17PM

Beeeej
LGR14

I wasn't privy to the conversation, but my impression is they've been moving it up a little each of the last few years - because if they don't, they have to stop playing it before it's over when the ref drops the puck. This way they get through the entire thing.

Which means no mouth kazoo humming by the crowd. That really sucks.

Humming is the highlight of the evening. ;-)

Date: January 19, 2019 12:18PM

Beeeej
LGR14

Which is the best part (at least letting the crowd do one verse by itself) - that's a shame.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2019 12:58PM

LGR14
Beeeej
LGR14

Which is the best part (at least letting the crowd do one verse by itself) - that's a shame.

Yeah I mean, was there anyone who didn't like that part? Especially when there's a stop in play a few seconds in and the band picks up right where they're supposed to. That was a feature, not a bug.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2019 03:48PM

I agree. My favorite Lynah cheer has always, since my first Cornell hockey game, been the crowd humming once play starts--and the band resuming after a quick whistle. Any band alums want to reach out?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2019 03:48PM by BearLover.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-5.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2019 05:03PM

BearLover
I agree. My favorite Lynah cheer has always, since my first Cornell hockey game, been the crowd humming once play starts--and the band resuming after a quick whistle. Any band alums want to reach out?

+1. Crowd singing it always the best part

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2019 07:48PM

CU2007
BearLover

+1. Crowd singing it always the best part

+1 Totally Agee

Posted by: kevdog8 (---.ip.mhcable.com)
Date: January 21, 2019 12:19PM

Band alum here, hoping to be in Ithaca in a few weeks and I can report back then on what, if anything, has changed.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2019 04:48PM

When you talk to the band please tell them the Jeopardy theme during a review has to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's endless, dumb, ridiculous, awful. It's the self-indulgence of the band amusing itself at top volume and the rest of us have to listen to it. The band is there for the crowd; not the other way.

Other than that I love this incarnation of the band and think they are doing a fantastic job. But for fuck's sake, enough with the Jeopardy theme. We get it. You're ohsoclever you can do a bit I'd expect from Brown. Fine. Now stop.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2019 10:29PM

It would also help if they didn't start playing as soon as Arthur starts to tell us information about the review, both before and after, drowning him out.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2019 10:38PM

kevdog8
Band alum here, hoping to be in Ithaca in a few weeks and I can report back then on what, if anything, has changed.

Ummm...we know what has changed.

Instead of playing Gonna Fly Now when the team hits the ice at the start of the third period and then transitioning into Gary Glitter, the band, at least this past weekend, started Gary Glitter well before the team came onto the ice.

As others have pointed out, this does allow the band to finish both rounds before the puck is dropped. It does away with something many enjoy, which is the crowd having to finish on its own, and the band coming back in if there is an early stoppage.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2019 11:28PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 22, 2019 07:37AM

Trotsky
When you talk to the band please tell them the Jeopardy theme during a review has to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's endless, dumb, ridiculous, awful. It's the self-indulgence of the band amusing itself at top volume and the rest of us have to listen to it. The band is there for the crowd; not the other way.

Other than that I love this incarnation of the band and think they are doing a fantastic job. But for fuck's sake, enough with the Jeopardy theme. We get it. You're ohsoclever you can do a bit I'd expect from Brown. Fine. Now stop.

Totally disagree.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2019 07:44AM

I think the fans picking up when the band stops is one of the coolest traditions at any sporting events I attend, let alone Cornell hockey. After the 2003 playoffs and FF, I was humming it in my head for most of the next year.

Date: January 22, 2019 08:19AM

andyw2100
kevdog8

Ummm...we know what has changed.

Instead of playing Davy when the team hits the ice at the start of the third period and then transitioning into Gary Glitter, the band, at least this past weekend, started Gary Glitter well before the team came onto the ice.

As others have pointed out, this does allow the band to finish both rounds before the puck is dropped. It does away with something many enjoy, which is the crowd having to finish on its own, and the band coming back in if there is an early stoppage.

I first noticed it at MSG, so I am sure it has been happening all/most of the season. They actually didn't play Gonna Fly Now at all and started Gary Glitter with 2.5 minutes to go in intermission. Half the crowd missed it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2019 01:40PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Totally disagree.
Opinions vary. But you have to listen to it way more often than I so I'll withdraw my complaint.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think it adds to the atmosphere?

Date: January 22, 2019 01:41PM

cth95
I think the fans picking up when the band stops is one of the coolest traditions at any sporting events I attend, let alone Cornell hockey. After the 2003 playoffs and FF, I was humming it in my head for most of the next year.
Agree. I love the ghostliness of the fans continuing a cheer. It's eerie and creepy. It's even better when there's a quick stoppage and the band then picks up right on the note the fans are singing. It ties the band and the fans together and makes the building feel like ours.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 01:43PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 22, 2019 03:16PM

from my side of the house it seems like the band is really struggling. My kid who has been to many a game and is in a pep band at her school has noticed it as well.

i do wonder how the clarkson band interaction will be now that they have moved them off in a far corner.. wont be nearly as fun when they cant feed off each other.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-22.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2019 03:30PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Totally disagree.
Opinions vary. But you have to listen to it way more often than I so I'll withdraw my complaint.

What it does add in some cases is an exclamation point on the reviews going on too long. Longer than 5 minutes means it almost by definition shouldn't overrule the on ice decision.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2019 06:30PM

it isnt the review taking 5 min.. its the getting the software sometimes to get the proper spot back into sync to review it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 22, 2019 07:41PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Totally disagree.

I don't know that it adds much of anything. But neither do many of the particular songs that the band plays. They could easily change 50% of their songs and have just as good an atmosphere. The one thing that I do like about it is the ability to judge how long the review is taking. When they have to start over from the beginning, you know it's too long.

Having said that, I wouldn't care at all if they decided to quit playing it. However I would want them to come up with something that points out the time that is being taken. Sort of like the "Let's play hockey." cheer that gets started when the refs are taking too long to come up with a decision, or to explain it to the coaches. It adds something, albeit not a lot.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: January 23, 2019 05:30PM

LGR14
I first noticed it at MSG, so I am sure it has been happening all/most of the season. They actually didn't play Gonna Fly Now at all and started Gary Glitter with 2.5 minutes to go in intermission. Half the crowd missed it.

Oh, that makes me sad. The horns opening Gonna Fly Now right when the team stepped on the ice at the start of the third is probably my favorite "regular band moment" from when I was able to actually go to the games. There was something about the rhythm and volume of the band combined with the pace of the players streaming onto the ice and doing their skate-around that added a jolt of excitement to the start of the period. I'll be sad if it stops, although I suppose I'll never notice unless I get to another game sometime.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2019 10:10AM

Tom Lento
LGR14

Oh, that makes me sad. The horns opening Gonna Fly Now right when the team stepped on the ice at the start of the third is probably my favorite "regular band moment" from when I was able to actually go to the games. There was something about the rhythm and volume of the band combined with the pace of the players streaming onto the ice and doing their skate-around that added a jolt of excitement to the start of the period. I'll be sad if it stops, although I suppose I'll never notice unless I get to another game sometime.

Interesting. At my very first game at Lynah the band played the Theme from Peter Gunn as the team skated out onto the ice before the rink lights went on. It was wonderful, both as a rhythmic tune to skate to and as an ominous warning to the opposing team regarding what they're about to face. Over fifty years later, I'll never forget it.

IMHO, it would be a really good thing if the band payed self-conscious attention to its own history. I wouldn't argue against changing things, but I would want changes to be done with full consciousness of what went before and why. Also, every now and then, I'd like to see revivals of older practices: as salutes to tradition, for nostalgia, for specific appropriate moments, etc.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2019 10:47AM

Swampy
IMHO, it would be a really good thing if the band payed self-conscious attention to its own history. I wouldn't argue against changing things, but I would want changes to be done with full consciousness of what went before and why. Also, every now and then, I'd like to see revivals of older practices: as salutes to tradition, for nostalgia, for specific appropriate moments, etc.

Well said... There are some good ones that have fallen by the wayside... I miss them!

Date: January 24, 2019 01:48PM

I vote to bring back Fight, Maim, Kill.

Peter Gunn is great but you need a kickin' horn section to pull it off.

Posted by: kevdog8 (---.s3743.c3-0.43d-cbr1.qens-43d.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 25, 2019 05:25PM

Sorry I hadn't logged in in a while. But as the recent band alum who posted earlier, I largely agree with most of the thoughts here. And I arranged Jeopardy for the band, so I was really happy that I was able to get the band to 1. play it and 2. play it at the appropriate time (a goal replay.) But I do agree that playing it repeatedly is an instance of one of the worst things about us: we indulge in ourselves at times instead of playing for the crowd.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 05:27PM by kevdog8.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login