Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2019-01-05: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 2 (ot)

Posted by Trotsky 
2019-01-05: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 2 (ot)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 11:16AM

For a variety of reasons, a win would be A Good Thing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 10:02PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2019-01-05: #20 Cornell at #5 Quinnipiac
Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-16.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2019 12:29PM

Trotsky
For a variety of reasons, a win would be A Good Thing.

Drafts at the creeker?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.sub-174-220-15.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2019 06:54PM

1st game at Q's rink. As anticipated, nice modern place with zero charm.

Date: January 05, 2019 07:51PM

scoop85
1st game at Q's rink. As anticipated, nice modern place with zero charm.
At least they gave it a name. It's no longer the Vampire Squid Arena.

Date: January 05, 2019 07:52PM

Lucky to be down only a goal after 1. We were completely outplayed and lost almost every stick battle. End of period was an improvement, so let's hope to build on that.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 09:46PM

I'll take a 3 point road weekend against this pair. I only saw the last 10 or so minutes including OT but while our defense was good our passing was borderline random.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 09:48PM

played much better that last 2. really controlled the chances in the 3rd.. this team just cant finish from the quality areas. probably went 0 for 7-8 from inside 15 ft all weekend. the only finish was on Barrons goal from a tough angle nothing else went in on our quality chances.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 09:52PM

we had a late rush with numbers that almost made me throw my phone. i don't remember who was carrying the puck up the right side but he had smith trailing with speed up the middle and instead of getting the puck across the line and sliding it to smith he hit the brakes just short of the line and smith had no choice but to fly in ahead and those 6 inches cost the team a great scoring chance.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 09:53PM

a really concerted effort by the refs to not call penalties this weekend.. probably 2-3 trips in the 3rd cost cornell chances to score and then a late hook that wasnt called almost gave one to quin.

Re: 2019-01-05: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 2 (ot)
Date: January 05, 2019 10:08PM

Up to 16 in PWR.

Date: January 05, 2019 10:35PM

Anyone having Colgate as the only team of the four to have a 4-point weekend raise your hand

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2019 06:38PM

Last night was my first chance to see this year's team in person. Others have pointed out issues on display: losing stick battles, almost random passing (often as much the fault of the recipient as the passer), lack of finishing, failure to pass to open teammates, etc. When Schafer watches the film of that first period, he's going to be sicker than he already was.

Nonetheless, Q's keeper leads the country in GAA and save %, and the defense as a whole leads the country in goals, assists, and points. After an atrocious first period, coming back from 2 down against such a quality opponent is no mean feat, and it says a great deal about this team's character and resilience, and Syer's coaching.

But one thing really stood out for me. Last night Cornell's #7 single-handedly skated around and through the entire Quinnipiac team and took a point-blank shot at goal, only to have Shortridge stop it. I can't remember the last time I saw a Cornell player with the speed and skating and stick-handling skills to get through the entire defense of a top-five team. But the scene last night seemed eerily familiar. At first I felt back in my undergraduate days, when it was common for another #7 to skate around and through other teams. I had to remind myself that this was a different century and a different #7.

For a moment I was transported back to the old Boston Garden on Dec. 17, 1966. That night, for the championship of the annual ECAC Holiday Hockey Tournament, Cornell played Michigan State, the defending national champ. The game was tied 2-2 and went into overtime. About a minute in, Cornell's #7 stole the puck for a breakaway and skated in on the Spartan's keeper. But instead of taking a shot, he made a blind drop pass to a trailing #8; as #7 faked a shot to the keeper's right, #8 buried the puck to the keeper's left and won the game. That team went on to beat North Dakota and BU to win Cornell's first national championship. The team had the kind of coordinated team play and trust in teammates that wins championships.

But last night Cornell's #7 went in alone, and while his teammates followed, none of them seemed to have trusted enough to get a jump and follow closely behind him. And he probably didn't have confidence to just to drop off the puck, knowing a trailer was there.

The legendary group of seniors in 1966-7 had been together four years: time to develop such coordination. The extraordinary group of sophomores on Cornell's 2018-9 team have only been together two years. If they can develop the same degree of trust and coordination -- that second sense of knowing without looking that someone is there and will deliver (even then, attempt such blind plays only in the offensive zone, please!), then that's when players like Cam Donaldson will rise to the level of players like Doug Ferguson, and Cornell will be favored to win its next national championship.

bananabananabanana
Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 06:49PM by Swampy.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 07:08PM

Swampy
Last night was my first chance to see this year's team in person. Others have pointed out issues on display: losing stick battles, almost random passing (often as much the fault of the recipient as the passer), lack of finishing, failure to pass to open teammates, etc. When Schafer watches the film of that first period, he's going to be sicker than he already was.

Nonetheless, Q's keeper leads the country in GAA and save %, and the defense as a whole leads the country in goals, assists, and points. After an atrocious first period, coming back from 2 down against such a quality opponent is no mean feat, and it says a great deal about this team's character and resilience, and Syer's coaching.

But one thing really stood out for me. Last night Cornell's #7 single-handedly skated around and through the entire Quinnipiac team and took a point-blank shot at goal, only to have Shortridge stop it. I can't remember the last time I saw a Cornell player with the speed and skating and stick-handling skills to get through the entire defense of a top-five team. But the scene last night seemed eerily familiar. At first I felt back in my undergraduate days, when it was common for another #7 to skate around and through other teams. I had to remind myself that this was a different century and a different #7.

For a moment I was transported back to the old Boston Garden on Dec. 17, 1966. That night, for the championship of the annual ECAC Holiday Hockey Tournament, Cornell played Michigan State, the defending national champ. The game was tied 2-2 and went into overtime. About a minute in, Cornell's #7 stole the puck for a breakaway and skated in on the Spartan's keeper. But instead of taking a shot, he made a blind drop pass to a trailing #8; as #7 faked a shot to the keeper's right, #8 buried the puck to the keeper's left and won the game. That team went on to beat North Dakota and BU to win Cornell's first national championship. The team had the kind of coordinated team play and trust in teammates that wins championships.

But last night Cornell's #7 went in alone, and while his teammates followed, none of them seemed to have trusted enough to get a jump and follow closely behind him. And he probably didn't have confidence to just to drop off the puck, knowing a trailer was there.

The legendary group of seniors in 1966-7 had been together four years: time to develop such coordination. The extraordinary group of sophomores on Cornell's 2018-9 team have only been together two years. If they can develop the same degree of trust and coordination -- that second sense of knowing without looking that someone is there and will deliver (even then, attempt such blind plays only in the offensive zone, please!), then that's when players like Cam Donaldson will rise to the level of players like Doug Ferguson, and Cornell will be favored to win its next national championship.

bananabananabanana

Well stated. I was there last night as well, and while I only go back to the early 80’s with Cornell hockey, Watching the game I was thinking how the sophomore class has a chance to be a special class.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 07:28PM

Swampy

bananabananabanana

Another thing that helps players develop that second sense is playing with the same line combinations over a period of time...It is my recollection that Ned did far less changing of his line combinations than does Mike.. While it is common for coaches today, I have always seen it as a weakness for Mike... From my perspective, by this time of year, a coach should know his players' strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies. He should assemble his lines based on that information. And, except for injuries, let them play and develop chemistry. It shouldn't take long for that chemistry to flourish.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 08:23PM

At Colgate in 1967 both teams exited for the dressing rooms between periods through a gap in the wooden bleachers. At the end of the second period Cornell was clobbering Colgate (final score: 8-0). I was sitting on the end of the bleachers above the dressing room entrance gap, a few feet above the heads of the exiting players. Harkness and the Colgate coach were walking fairly close together a few yards behind the teams and I heard the Colgate say something to Ned like "Ease up a little this period, eh?" The Harkness reply was loud and clear: "Go F**K yourself!" What has happened to that old college spirit?

Date: January 07, 2019 12:57PM

redice
Swampy

bananabananabanana

Another thing that helps players develop that second sense is playing with the same line combinations over a period of time...It is my recollection that Ned did far less changing of his line combinations than does Mike.. While it is common for coaches today, I have always seen it as a weakness for Mike... From my perspective, by this time of year, a coach should know his players' strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies. He should assemble his lines based on that information. And, except for injuries, let them play and develop chemistry. It shouldn't take long for that chemistry to flourish.

Excellent point! I'm not sure why, other than injuries, there's so much moving around of individual players today. But counting the freshman year, I think that line of the two Ferguson twins and Mike Doran played as a unit for four years. Add a defender or two, like Harry Orr, and night after night the exact entire units would be on the ice together. The synergy was something else.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2019 01:54PM

redice
It is my recollection that Ned did far less changing of his line combinations than does Mike..
Ned also had just 3 lines, and 2 of those skated most of the game. ;-)

Date: January 07, 2019 06:49PM

Trotsky
redice
It is my recollection that Ned did far less changing of his line combinations than does Mike..

That does change th and math, but the fact that he possessed the wisdom to put the right guys together and leave them there, remains unchanged.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: January 07, 2019 07:57PM

redice
Trotsky
redice

That does change th and math, but the fact that he possessed the wisdom to put the right guys together and leave them there, remains unchanged.

You also have to realize that those 3, Ferguson, Ferguson, and Doran, were by far the best 3. In '67 we basically, with apologies to Skip Stanowski, had 2 classes, a great senior class, led by those 3 and an excellent sophomore class, led by Pete Tufford and Brian Cornell. So the main lines were pretty clear.

At that time there was no way the number of players to chose from like coaches have today. As good as our teams were, they were generally not able to be picked from the top players in Canada. At that time those guys almost uniformly went to the major juniors. The US college route was not considered to be the track to be able to go pro. The Ferguson's played in Syracuse for a while.

Dryden was a major exception and our first drafted player.

Date: January 08, 2019 10:06AM

Jim Hyla

Was he really our first drafted player, or just the first to be drafted and actually play in the NHL?

(I'm not questioning what you're saying. I just seem to recall that around the late sixties and through the seventies is was common for players to be drafted but never even get a cup of coffee in the pros.)

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2019 10:22AM

Swampy
Jim Hyla

Was he really our first drafted player, or just the first to be drafted and actually play in the NHL?

(I'm not questioning what you're saying. I just seem to recall that around the late sixties and through the seventies is was common for players to be drafted but never even get a cup of coffee in the pros.)

First drafted player, period. 3rd round (14th pick) in 1964.

Literally the very next pick, Gordie Lowe (3rd round, 15th pick, 1964) was the second Cornellian ever drafted.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: January 08, 2019 11:40AM

Remember, too, that freshmen couldn't play varsity when Ned coached so the possible line combinations for each incoming class were more limited. By default a line could be pretty well established when the players moved to varsity.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 08, 2019 01:30PM

so many injuries the last few years i dont know we keep any lines intact.

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: January 08, 2019 03:20PM

dag14
Remember, too, that freshmen couldn't play varsity when Ned coached so the possible line combinations for each incoming class were more limited. By default a line could be pretty well established when the players moved to varsity.

True, but he could have juggled personnel when they moved up to varsity. If the lines gelled so well during the frosh year that he didn't want to change things the next year (and did not want to move around upperclassmen who were already on the varsity), then this is testimony that he valued the chemistry players developed by playing together more than he valued whatever advantages mixing personnel across years might provide.

Date: January 08, 2019 05:39PM

Swampy
True, but he could have juggled personnel when they moved up to varsity. If the lines gelled so well during the frosh year that he didn't want to change things the next year (and did not want to move around upperclassmen who were already on the varsity), then this is testimony that he valued the chemistry players developed by playing together more than he valued whatever advantages mixing personnel across years might provide.

You're spot-on.... That is exactly my point. I think Mike does not place enough value on the chemistry... This is akin to management in this world today. Employees are largely seen as interchangeable, when, in fact, a chemistry develops that management often does not see... But, PLEASE, this is a discussion that I do not wish to pursue on here... Just a side thought.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: January 08, 2019 07:31PM

My point was by default guys would often play together for an entire year, making it more likely that the "correct" choice would be to leave them together.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 09, 2019 02:57PM

Polite hockey fans recoil at the thought of "enforcers" - but they take a lot of pressure off the referees and they might even reduce the number of serious injuries. A well-timed trip or push is more likely to result in permanent physical damage than a punch to the body or the face mask.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login