Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2019-01-04: Cornell 3 Princeton 2

Posted by Trotsky 
2019-01-04: Cornell 3 Princeton 2
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2019 06:52AM

La petite mort of the holidays is over. Life resumes in 12 hours.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 10:28PM by Trotsky.

Re: 2019-01-14 #20 Cornell at Princeton
Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 04, 2019 11:27AM

Trotsky
so you were alone?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2019 02:05PM

ugarte
Trotsky
so you were alone?
If you want something done right,

Re: 2019-01-04 #20 Cornell at Princeton
Date: January 04, 2019 06:33PM

Smith, Locke, Andreev back.

Green, Galajda still out

Schafer is out sick.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2019 08:03PM

I just discovered that the WHCU audio (over the internet) and the tv audio (ESPN+) are very close to being in sync. I'm listening to Jason instead of the homer Princeton announcers..

Posted by: cu155 (23.27.206.---)
Date: January 04, 2019 08:15PM

Thank you, these guys are insufferable.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2019 08:26PM

The Princeton color guy can't put a sentence together.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.princeton.org)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:19PM

The officiating in this game was funny

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:24PM

Wild end. Refs made the right call on review. Princeton D initiated contact with Regush, who pushed back, leading to minimal contact with Ferlin. McCrea's seeing-eye shot was nice and Regush should get an assist for the screen. So should Syer, for convincing the refs to review the play. I'm sure he was incredulous when they said they wouldn't review it. If goals are all reviewed, a puck that went in the net should get a look even if your instinct is no goal.

When it was waved off, the Princeton crew couldn't figure out why. Once they saw a replay that had an angle with the contact, the reaction was basically "Huh. Really. I *guess* that's interference?" But they also quickly concluded that it should stand because there was a bump. Then, when it was reversed it was highway robbery and the refs were stealing the game. As I said in the chat, I assume the review included one official saying to the guy who made the call "you've got to be fuckin' kidding me."

Great win. A follow-up tomorrow would be huge.

Posted by: nshapiro (107.77.241.---)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:31PM

A unique game, over nine minutes from drop of the puck to first whistle, and no penalties called the entire game.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:38PM

Meanwhile, Quinnipiac scores 3 goals in first 12 minutes, holds 4-2 lead in third period, and loses in OT to Colgate. They are going to come out Saturday night flying on all cylinders.

Posted by: margolism (172.58.233.---)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:38PM

The no penalties against us certainly was huge since Princeton converts on a third of their PP opportunities. I don’t recall seeing a game where the penalty boxes didn’t get occupied at least once.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:40PM

And 'Gate beat Q in OT.

I would have preferred to have it end in a tie. The extra time would make Q more tired for tomorrow, and its RPI would be higher.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:40PM

They left quite a few penalties go uncalled thats for sure.. but top say the refs changed the outcome of the game like they complained is a stretch. taking away a clear goal would have been a bad thing as well..

i thought the first and third cornell played pretty well. 2nd half the second was really sloppy, too many TOs in bad spots under almost no pressure.

all in all for a first game back nice effort

Posted by: margolism (172.58.233.---)
Date: January 04, 2019 09:42PM

And a regular season sweep of the defending ECAC champs who we lost to up at Lake Placid.

Date: January 04, 2019 09:48PM

dbilmes
Meanwhile, Quinnipiac scores 3 goals in first 12 minutes, holds 4-2 lead in third period, and loses in OT to Colgate. They are going to come out Saturday night flying on all cylinders.

I think our presence would have them coming out flying in any case. We've got to bring our A game to make up for the fluke at Lynah.

In other news, besides Onion giving #1 St. SCSU a 7-2 whupping, Canisius is beating those NoDak characters 2-1 late in the 3rd.

Date: January 04, 2019 09:59PM

Controversial finish in Cambridge. Harvard wins 3-2 on an OT goal that came off an angled skate but not a clear kick-in.

Meanwhile, I switched to Gophers - Penn State in time to see a Penn State goal that should end up on SportsCenter to tie the game at 1. Guy comes up solo down the right wing, cuts inside and breaks the defenseman's ankles, but starts slipping in the process himself. As he goes down, he flicks a wrister that beats the goalie top shelf to the glove-side. Gorgeous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 10:05PM by ugarte.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2019 10:04PM

ugarte
Controversial finish in Cambridge. Harvard wins 3-2 on an OT goal that came off an angled skate but not a clear kick-in.

Meanwhile, I switched to Gophers - Penn State in time to see a Penn State goal that should end up on SportsCenter to tie the game at 1. Guy comes up solo down the right wing, cuts inside and breaks the defenseman's ankles, but starts slipping in the process himself. As he goes down, he flicks a wrister that beats the lefty goalie top shelf to the glove-side. Gorgeous.

Good recap of the goal. No biggie, but the goalie is a righty since his glove is in the right hand.

Date: January 04, 2019 10:07PM

scoop85
ugarte

Meanwhile, I switched to Gophers - Penn State in time to see a Penn State goal that should end up on SportsCenter to tie the game at 1. Guy comes up solo down the right wing, cuts inside and breaks the defenseman's ankles, but starts slipping in the process himself. As he goes down, he flicks a wrister that beats the lefty goalie top shelf to the glove-side. Gorgeous.

Good recap of the goal. No biggie, but the goalie is a righty since his glove is in the right hand.
I changed it while you were typing because I realized that I don't actually know whether a righty would wear the glove on the right or left hand, but the Gopher goalie has the glove on his left hand (so does the PSU goalie).

Date: January 04, 2019 10:12PM

ugarte
scoop85
ugarte

I changed it while you were typing because I realized that I don't actually know whether a righty would wear the glove on the right or left hand, but the Gopher goalie has the glove on his left hand (so does the PSU goalie).

I’m a lefty so I pay attention to these things

Date: January 04, 2019 11:20PM

I am confused? a right hander in hockey wears his glove on his right hand? i thought the dominate hand holds the stick not the glove?

Date: January 04, 2019 11:34PM

upprdeck
I am confused? a right hander in hockey wears his glove on his right hand? i thought the dominate hand holds the stick not the glove?

Sorry, the glove WAS in his left hand, so he is indeed a righty. I mistyped my response.

Date: January 05, 2019 11:19AM

margolism
And a regular season sweep of the defending ECAC champs who we lost to up at Lake Placid.
We have had their number.

Date: January 05, 2019 11:42AM

what i find interesting about the review is that the cornell recap says we called a TO to get the review.. I know there have been other games we were not allowed to do that. I thought it was part of the process but it still seems to be up to the refs to decide.

the fact that refused then did it and then over ruled it it must have been pretty blatant in their eyes that they were wrong. from the tv angle it didnt seem like much happened from the cornell persepective.

Re: 2019-01-04: Cornell 3 Princeton 2
Date: January 05, 2019 11:45AM

also pretty crazy cornell had gone almost 20 yrs without a game with no penalty..

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-16.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2019 12:28PM

upprdeck
also pretty crazy cornell had gone almost 20 yrs without a game with no penalty..

And at least 10 years for a controversial call to go our way?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 01:35PM

I can tell you that at the rink nobody could figure out what the hell the infraction was that made them call off the goal. We were going through all the options (interference, high stick, offsides), but nobody knew for sure and the announcer never said.

As to the lack of calls, let's just say that the refs either missed a lot or chose not to call a lot. Because I certainly saw a lot of penalties going both ways.

The one frustrating thing was the TV timeouts. They'd go through the first 12 minutes of a period without a whistle, It was wonderful. But they then managed to jam three TV timeouts into a 2-1/2 minute span so they got them all in. Ugh.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2019 02:29PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
The one frustrating thing was the TV timeouts. They'd go through the first 12 minutes of a period without a whistle, It was wonderful. But they then managed to jam three TV timeouts into a 2-1/2 minute span so they got them all in. Ugh.

Can anyone here shed light on when the refs can and can't call for a TV time out? I assume it can't be after an icing infraction. It seems like it should never be allowed during a penalty but my memory is that I've seen TV breaks during some penalties.

So:
A) is my aged memory faulty?
B) are there guidelines?
C) is it at the scorer's or timekeeper's discretion?
D) is it at the refs discretion?
E) can the refs overrule the scorer/timekeeper?
F) A & B
G) all of the above
F) none of the above

For extra credit, just what are the duties of those guys at the table during the game?

Arthur?

Re: 2019-01-04: Cornell 3 Princeton 2 - what are the odds?
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 02:44PM

Percentage of games Mike Schafer has coached where Cornell was called for zero penalties: approaches the null set?

Percentage of Schafer-era years where the coach was not behind the bench and Cornell had zero penatlies called: one in five maybe?

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 04:06PM

marty
Jeff Hopkins '82

Can anyone here shed light on when the refs can and can't call for a TV time out? I assume it can't be after an icing infraction. It seems like it should never be allowed during a penalty but my memory is that I've seen TV breaks during some penalties.

So:
A) is my aged memory faulty?
B) are there guidelines?
C) is it at the scorer's or timekeeper's discretion?
D) is it at the refs discretion?
E) can the refs overrule the scorer/timekeeper?
F) A & B
G) all of the above
F) none of the above

For extra credit, just what are the duties of those guys at the table during the game?

Arthur?

Can't take a TV timeout after an icing or during a penalty. Can take one after a penalty has been called (and no team is currently on the power play). Also no TV timeout after a goal is scored. That's it. If they make it to the 10-minute mark without having taken the 14-minute mark timeout, then the next two whistles will be TV timeouts (unless there is an icing, ongoing power play, or goal).

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: January 05, 2019 04:17PM

Announcer/official scorekeeper
Timekeeper/person running the clock
Someone to help with penalty clock and/or keep track of stats like shots on goal depending on the experience/competence of the scorer and time keeper
Friends of the above who can sneak in and take advantage of room at the table

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2019 06:37PM

For the duties of the off-ice officials: they're spelled out in the rule book.

For the media timeout protocol (from an ECAC memo distributed to coaches and administrators last September):

The following timeout protocol/format applies to ALL games (i.e., exhibition, regular
season and postseason) featuring or involving ECAC Hockey teams, and conducted at
ECAC Hockey facilities.
BREAK FORMAT
Each period will have three (3) one-minute (1:00) breaks. The breaks will occur at the first
permissible whistle under the 14-, 10- and 6-minute marks on the clock.
Breaks will NOT be taken:
• During an odd-man situation (i.e., power play). NOTE: It is permissible to go to break
prior to the start of a power play/man advantage.
• After a whistle when either team cannot change players. (i.e., icing, hand pass, dislodged
net, etc.).
• Immediately after a goal.
• During the final two minutes of any period.
• Any additional scenarios in which NCAA ice hockey rules do not permit a change of
players.
NOTES:
The required ice maintenance break (30 seconds) - per league policy - shall occur in conjunction
with the first break under the 10-minute mark.
Players may go to the bench during breaks.
A break shall NOT be conducted with two (2) minutes or less remaining in a period
REGARDLESS of whether a break and/or ice maintenance has been conducted.
If, during an odd-man situation, a penalty is assessed causing the odd-man situation to become
even strength, a break can occur (e.g., if a penalty is called against a team on a power play to
create a 4-on-4 situation, etc.).
There shall NOT be any breaks during an overtime period.

Attachments:
open | download - 2018-19 ECAC Hockey Timeout ProtocolFormat.pdf (154 KB)
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2019 10:05PM

ACM
For the duties of the off-ice officials: they're spelled out in the rule book.

For the media timeout protocol (from an ECAC memo distributed to coaches and administrators last September):

The following timeout protocol/format applies to ALL games (i.e., exhibition, regular
season and postseason) featuring or involving ECAC Hockey teams, and conducted at
ECAC Hockey facilities.
BREAK FORMAT
Each period will have three (3) one-minute (1:00) breaks. The breaks will occur at the first
permissible whistle under the 14-, 10- and 6-minute marks on the clock.
Breaks will NOT be taken:
• During an odd-man situation (i.e., power play). NOTE: It is permissible to go to break
prior to the start of a power play/man advantage.
• After a whistle when either team cannot change players. (i.e., icing, hand pass, dislodged
net, etc.).
• Immediately after a goal.
• During the final two minutes of any period.
• Any additional scenarios in which NCAA ice hockey rules do not permit a change of
players.
NOTES:
The required ice maintenance break (30 seconds) - per league policy - shall occur in conjunction
with the first break under the 10-minute mark.
Players may go to the bench during breaks.
A break shall NOT be conducted with two (2) minutes or less remaining in a period
REGARDLESS of whether a break and/or ice maintenance has been conducted.
If, during an odd-man situation, a penalty is assessed causing the odd-man situation to become
even strength, a break can occur (e.g., if a penalty is called against a team on a power play to
create a 4-on-4 situation, etc.).
There shall NOT be any breaks during an overtime period.

Thank you.

Date: January 07, 2019 10:19PM

ugarte
Meanwhile, I switched to Gophers - Penn State in time to see a Penn State goal that should end up on SportsCenter to tie the game at 1. Guy comes up solo down the right wing, cuts inside and breaks the defenseman's ankles, but starts slipping in the process himself. As he goes down, he flicks a wrister that beats the goalie top shelf to the glove-side. Gorgeous.
This goal was, unsuprisingly, the #1 USCHO play of the week. [www.youtube.com]

Colgate's game winner against Q comes in at #3 and the #5 goal from RIT against Niagara is wild.

Date: January 08, 2019 10:01AM

ugarte
ugarte

Colgate's game winner against Q comes in at #3 and the #5 goal from RIT against Niagara is wild.

I like the #2 play, Peterson's behind-the-back pass in the OSU-MSU game, better.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 08, 2019 10:15PM

Swampy
ugarte
ugarte

I like the #2 play, Peterson's behind-the-back pass in the OSU-MSU game, better.

So do I. The Penn State goal was just the Goofer goalie letting down when the PSU guy fell. The USU goal was pure skill.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 09, 2019 10:27AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Swampy
ugarte
ugarte

So do I. The Penn State goal was just the Goofer goalie letting down when the PSU guy fell. The USU goal was pure skill.
i think you guys are really underselling getting the puck top shelf with pace as you are falling down after pantsing a defenseman but i can't make you appreciate it

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2019 12:15PM

ugarte
ugarte

I was at that game with my son, who'd decided the end-of-period buzzers disturbed him, so I'd already covered his ears when the goal went in and the air horn sounded. It was fun, since we got to cheer in each other's faces. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2019 12:18PM

jtwcornell91
I was at that game with my son, who'd decided the end-of-period buzzers disturbed him, so I'd already covered his ears when the goal went in and the air horn sounded. It was fun, since we got to cheer in each other's faces. :-D
When our son was 1, the two of us went to the football game at Princeton. It was a time when Princeton fired off a cannon to celebrate a touchdown. The boy did not like it. Also got grief for bringing him home in the same diaper he left in. You know, if you softly slap your lad on the backside and liquid doesn't spray out, it's not yet at capacity.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2019 09:10AM

billhoward
jtwcornell91
When our son was 1, the two of us went to the football game at Princeton. It was a time when Princeton fired off a cannon to celebrate a touchdown. The boy did not like it. Also got grief for bringing him home in the same diaper he left in. You know, if you softly slap your lad on the backside and liquid doesn't spray out, it's not yet at capacity.
eww.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login