Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Incoming Recruits

Posted by BearLover 
Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Incoming Recruits
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2020 10:03AM

Trotsky

Looks like a ‘21 commit; he’ll be 21 years old that September.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: March 21, 2020 11:29AM

scoop85
Trotsky

Is he viewed as a Galadja successor or a depth goalie.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 01:36PM by underskill.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 12:04PM

jts15
Ian Shane? Nothing gets past him.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 12:27PM

Shane! Come back, Shane!

Date: March 21, 2020 02:14PM

underskill
scoop85
Trotsky

Given that he plays in the USHL, hard to imagine he won’t at least compete for the job. I know our other goalie recruit, Joe Howe, was highly recruited (he chose Cornell over BC), so he might be the front runner.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2020 02:37PM

scoop85
underskill
scoop85
Trotsky

Given that he plays in the USHL, hard to imagine he won’t at least compete for the job. I know our other goalie recruit, Joe Howe, was highly recruited (he chose Cornell over BC), so he might be the front runner.

IIRC Ben Scrivens was supposed to stand in the shadows.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2020 12:48AM

Chicago Steel interview with Ian Shane, including one video clip.
The team stat sheet shows him with two assists for the year. He got less than half the starts, splitting time with a Swede who is commited to Maine. goalie stats
They play a few miles from our home, so I look forward to checking him out next year.

Date: April 04, 2020 12:46PM

The Sun’s article on the incoming recruits.

I wasn’t sure if Dan McIntyre would be part of this class, but his BCHL profile page shows him as a 21-22 recruit. He’ll be a 21-year-old freshman, which while isn’t our recent norm but isn’t unprecedented.

Although this class is small (as it should be given the number of returnees), the guys coming in look solid. I especially expect Rego to step in and contribute on the blue line, as he looks to be in the Kaldis-Malinski mold. My sense is Penney is may be similar to guys like Bauld and Betts, and will be strong on the PK. Schaefer said during the town hall that O’Leary is similar to Donaldson. Not sure he’s quite the scorer as Cam, but we’ll see how that plays out.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2020 01:28PM

I thought we might get 5, with Barron all but certainly leaving and Song apparently not making the transition to D-1.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 04, 2020 01:33PM

This is a Sun article, not the official announcement. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another player especially if Barron does leave.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: April 10, 2020 01:31PM

Looking quickly at the Central Scouting final rankings, the only future Cornellian I spotted was Hank Kempf, defenseman, entering in 2021. He's ranked # 204 of North American skaters and as I posted awhile back, he's a cousin (1st cousin once removed) of Stephen Bâby.
And speaking of relatives, Justin Barron (Morgan's brother) is ranked #16 of North American skaters. He's already played 3 years in the QMJHL. The reason he didn't follow his brother's path was he was just too good too soon, and was able to play for his hometown Halifax Mooseheads in the Q in the season in which he turned 16. Justin is a defenseman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2020 01:37PM by jkahn.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2020 01:38PM

Cornell recruit Kyler Kovich is also ranked, # 168

Posted by: FLHockeyMom (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2020 12:28PM

Trotsky
I thought we might get 5, with Barron all but certainly leaving and Song apparently not making the transition to D-1.

Long-time lurker. Not sure where to put this, but in the off-season it seems to have been overlooked, and a good a place as any. Dman Muzyka who never played a game has gone back to juniors:

Date: June 11, 2020 01:55PM

Thanks. That is interesting news. I believe he did play in the exhibition.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2020 05:42PM

Trotsky

Probably was told he likely wasn't going to get much if any PT. Good luck to him.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: June 12, 2020 02:18PM

scoop85
Trotsky

Probably was told he likely wasn't going to get much if any PT. Good luck to him.

Not to mention it's not even certain there'll be a season.

Date: June 12, 2020 03:19PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85
Trotsky

Not to mention it's not even certain there'll be a season.
There will be a season. IQs didn't suddenly shoot up.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: June 12, 2020 07:04PM

the real question is will the season start in the fall or push off until after the xmas break. the vaccine news and the likely early start early finish to the semester that many schools are using could mean hockey tries a delayed start as well.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2020 09:23PM

man i don't even see how you play a contact game like hockey but the thought of playing in an empty lynah... damn. then again the team has played pretty well in bright lately so they're used to those conditions.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2020 11:21PM

ugarte
man i don't even see how you play a contact game like hockey but the thought of playing in an empty lynah... damn. then again the team has played pretty well in bright Meehan Auditorium lately so they're used to those conditions.

FYP

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2020 12:18AM

With it looking increasingly likely that there could be no hockey season at all in 20-21, I'm wondering if any of the recruits currently scheduled to enroll as freshmen in the fall will either ask to delay a year/be allowed or find the team asking them to do so.

Thoughts?

Date: July 09, 2020 08:21AM

I'm guessing there will be a blanket ruling that covers them all. At the very least there won't be any eligibility lost.

We're in stasis. There's no opportunity cost since nobody else is playing.

Date: July 09, 2020 08:25AM

the reality is that after you removed the OC games for the ECAC that only moves about 4 games into the next yr and that is easy handle. Still alot of time for good things to happen that doesnt require a vaccine to solve.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2020 09:03AM

Trotsky
I'm guessing there will be a blanket ruling that covers them all. At the very least there won't be any eligibility lost.

We're in stasis. There's no opportunity cost since nobody else is playing.

While I mostly agree here, I don’t think it would be unreasonable for a recruit to conclude that a Michigan or a BU has a decent chance to be playing before an Ivy League school - just based on the attitudes we’ve seen. I’m not betting on that happening - just saying some could see it as a possibility and it would be hard to argue. Certainly Cornell will not be playing BEFORE those types of teams.

Date: July 09, 2020 09:40AM

hockey is only a group of 60 teams.. i dont think Mich is playing a full OC schedule while cornell waiting until Jan is gonna really cause a kid a lot of concern.. Good chance the Atlantic does the same as the ECAC/Ivy in this that removes much of the OC schedule teams.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2020 09:47AM

Trotsky
There's no opportunity cost since nobody else is playing.

Except for Morgan Barron.... I'm concerned that, if the Rangers are playing and Cornell is not (even if it's not until 1/1/2021), he'll sign with the Rangers. I don't envision him choosing him NOT playing over playing during the fall months.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2020 09:52AM

One advantage Cornell hockey may have over other hockey playing Ivies is that Cornell has invited all students back to campus in the fall. Even though games won’t be played in the fall, Cornell hockey players will be able to train & practice. The other hockey Ivies invited only some of their students back. Harvard invited only 40% of their students back to campus. Question whether Harvard wants only frosh & athletes on campus in the fall.

Date: July 09, 2020 10:53AM

redice
Trotsky

Except for Morgan Barron.... I'm concerned that, if the Rangers are playing and Cornell is not
If the Rangers play Morgan leaves. This is true of every other college player who has the opportunity to jump.

I'm going on the assumption (more of a hope) that nobody's going to play. That when the pro leagues make noises about playing that's just bullshit to generate noise, sell merch, put pressure on yokel pols to squeeze out a little more corporate welfare juice. OH NOES WE WERE SET TO PLAY BUT YOU'RE STOPPING US NOW SUBSIDIZE US; USA!!!1!!; FREEDUMB!!!11!

The zeroth rule is all institutions -- colleges, leagues, teams, political entities, media, advertisers -- will be driven by cynical, self-serving, short-sighted thinking bordering on sociopathy. “It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 10:58AM by Trotsky.

Date: July 09, 2020 04:53PM

redice
Trotsky

Except for Morgan Barron.... I'm concerned that, if the Rangers are playing and Cornell is not (even if it's not until 1/1/2021), he'll sign with the Rangers. I don't envision him choosing him NOT playing over playing during the fall months.

Obv I wasn't clear about why i thought recruits might defer. Let's assume that the full season is cancelled - so obviously noone uses up any eligibility. However, if you enroll this fall and want to play for four years you'd need to be at Cornell for 5 years- which means paying for the extra year and possibly needing to do a master's degree.

If I'm not getting a ton of financial aid and am an incoming frosh, then why would I enroll now?

And if i'm going to be a Senior this year, why would I enroll this fall rather than take a leave of absence assuming I want to play one last season in 21-22?

-

Date: July 09, 2020 05:44PM

That's a function of two variables: x -- how much of your college expenses does sports pay for, and y -- how much of the reason you're at school is sports?

Your likelihood to defer / take a year off varies inversely with x and y. So, Johnny Jock at North Dumbfuck State is going to drink at home, rather than at his frat, for a year, while Arthur Auteur at St. Precious Arts Conservatory is going to go for the year, since sports was just a way to fool the school into taking him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 05:47PM by Trotsky.

Date: July 10, 2020 01:20AM

Trotsky
That's a function of two variables: x -- how much of your college expenses does sports pay for, and y -- how much of the reason you're at school is sports?

Your likelihood to defer / take a year off varies inversely with x and y. So, Johnny Jock at North Dumbfuck State is going to drink at home, rather than at his frat, for a year, while Arthur Auteur at St. Precious Arts Conservatory is going to go for the year, since sports was just a way to fool the school into taking him.

That's all generally true- although you are discounting a host of other considerations. Pretty sure that the actual learning experience will be much better a year from now (assuming it will be an all in-person, on campus experience.) online instruction can't possibly replicate that experience. So the kid who is there to learn might very well defer for a year. (Not to mention the parents might refuse to pay $50k for what is essentially the academic equivalent of netflix- Tragically overpriced streaming.

BTW, I could care less about those imaginary schools. I asked the question because I was thinking of our Men's hockey team.

- I don't think most of our guys are in a rush to finish school asap, they almost all put in two years of juniors already at this point.

- Wonder if where "home" is for these guys. If you're Canadian, you likely in a far safer area back home covid-wise, and might well be able to get in a lot more ice time over the year back home than in Ithaca. The ability to get across the border (or not) may make this a bit messy too, right?

-if you're going to be a junior or senior this fall, and have possibilities of getting to the next level but need to have a breakout year or simply another year to maintain your level and show it wasn't a fluke, aren't you cutting things real slim to lose a year of play?

-if you're going to be a bottom third of the roster guy then its probably not enough of a consideration.

And what happens to the recruiting pipeline if somewhere between some and all of the current team members get another year of eligibility by a cancelled season? What about the guys who are supposed to be enrolling in September- if this was wrestling they'd be told to move to Ithaca right away but not enroll in classes until January.

So many questions

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2020 09:06AM

Our current government's plan for dealing with coronavirus - doing nothing - needs time to work. In another year or two the number of deaths from and the spread of coronavirus should stabilize and allow plans to be made for sporting events.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 17, 2020 01:46PM

Article on Jimmy Rayhill's postponing coming to campus and returning to Alberni for another season:

[www.uticaod.com]

Date: August 17, 2020 02:45PM

Are Junior A & B going to play in 20-21?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 02:47PM by Trotsky.

Date: August 17, 2020 09:43PM

Trotsky

-From the linked article that you didn't bother to read...;)

Rayhill, the 19-year-old New Hartford native and Cornell University commit, is set to play a second season of junior “A” hockey with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL).

Rayhill, a defenseman, is planning to return to the team located on Vancouver Island in about two-and-half weeks for the Bulldogs’ season, which is tentatively scheduled to begin in December due to concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic. There’s one hurdle: The border between the United States and Canada remains closed for non-essential travel.

Interesting side note in that quote: at the moment he can't cross the border to even get up to BC

Date: August 17, 2020 11:28PM

abmarks
Trotsky

-From the linked article that you didn't bother to read...;)

Or I read it, it didn't tell me squat, and I asked if anybody knew anything more.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 11:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2020 11:45AM

Luke Devlin

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2020 12:15PM

jts15

Luke Devlin

Interesting side note: Devlin's father Matt is the play-by-play guy for the Toronto Raptors, and he has called Wrestling at the Olympics for NBC, which will excite Ugarte.

Date: August 20, 2020 06:29PM

6' 3" at 16.

I'm pretty sure he's our first player from TN.

[www.eliteprospects.com]

Date: August 20, 2020 08:32PM

Trotsky
6' 3" at 16.

[www.eliteprospects.com]

He was born in TN when his father was calling the Grizzlies games, and was young when the family moved to Toronto.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-208.myvzw.com)
Date: August 20, 2020 11:28PM

Born in 2004. Oooooooof

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2020 12:42PM

Trotsky
6' 3" at 16.

[www.eliteprospects.com]
was his profile photo was taken when he was 10? reminds me of a story my brother told me during his semester abroad. a fellow student in the program from argentina had an apparently valid passport near the end of it's life but the photo was from when he was like 9 and during a border crossing he was refused entry.

Date: August 30, 2020 09:14AM

This pandemic must be a nightmare for recruiters of scholastic athletes. I suspect it may level the playing field" [ice?] for the next few years?

Date: August 30, 2020 12:00PM

osorojo
This pandemic must be a nightmare for recruiters of scholastic athletes. I suspect it may level the playing field" [ice?] for the next few years?
It might work the other way. Insofar as there's an opportunity cost for committing to a college, in an uncertain environment kids (well, parents) may only that for elite programs.

So... good thing we are one.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2020 12:00PM by Trotsky.

Date: August 30, 2020 01:40PM

I was thinking more along the lines of identifying talented recruits. If kids don't get to play competitive hockey for the next couple of years due to the pandemic it's going to badly handicap the ability of recruiters to identify [and recruit] talented college hockey prospects.

Date: August 30, 2020 08:53PM

they will really need to trust people who can see these kids play and feed them information.. it also helps cornell because we dont have near the travel budget of some other programs.

Date: September 02, 2020 09:36AM

osorojo
I was thinking more along the lines of identifying talented recruits. If kids don't get to play competitive hockey for the next couple of years due to the pandemic it's going to badly handicap the ability of recruiters to identify [and recruit] talented college hockey prospects.
Hadn't thought of that. Very interesting, thanks.

We'll also get a tidal wave as kids stack up as seasons are canceled. I don't expect more than one full season lost, but who knows?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 09:37AM by Trotsky.

Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login