Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Incoming Recruits

Posted by BearLover 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Incoming Recruits
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2019 10:43AM

ugarte
The joke itself was a throwaway but you're discounting the knock-on effects of everything you've posted since.
Gracie had George.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-23.myvzw.com)
Date: July 13, 2019 11:39AM

Trotsky
ugarte
The joke itself was a throwaway but you're discounting the knock-on effects of everything you've posted since.
Gracie had George.

And then there's Fenneman.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: July 13, 2019 12:37PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Gracie had George.

Say goodnight, Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 13, 2019 07:01PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
ugarte
Gracie had George.

Say goodnight, Trotsky.

bang

How many days did you say it is before the season starts?

Date: July 13, 2019 07:50PM

Swampy
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
ugarte
Gracie had George.

Say goodnight, Trotsky.

bang

How many days did you say it is before the season starts?

Too damn many.

Date: July 14, 2019 05:50AM

Only 2 full months (8, 9) though.

It would be easier if one's MLB team were in contention.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2019 05:51AM by Trotsky.

Date: October 26, 2019 07:12PM

Per Jason during tonight's broadcast, we missed out on this guy. Both parents are Cornell alums. That's just poor parenting. :-(

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2019 11:28PM

Trotsky
Per Jason during tonight's broadcast, we missed out on this guy. Both parents are Cornell alums. That's just poor parenting. :-(

Well, Kent Manderville and Kim Ratushny’s kid is a freshman playing for Colgate, so that seems even more egregious.

Date: October 27, 2019 04:28AM

scoop85
Trotsky

Well, Kent Manderville and Kim Ratushny’s kid is a freshman playing for Colgate, so that seems even more egregious.
I'm okay with that because he might not be good enough. Beniers OTOH is a projected early pick.

He's from Hingham so hopefully the parents just have Boston Disease. His other choice was BC.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2019 04:31AM by Trotsky.

Date: October 27, 2019 12:51PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky

I'm okay with that because he might not be good enough. Beniers OTOH is a projected early pick.

He's from Hingham so hopefully the parents just have Boston Disease. His other choice was BC.

The Manderville kid was a pretty decent recruit, although certainly nowhere near the recruit Beniers is. Too bad we couldn’t leverage the double legacy in his case.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2019 05:33PM

New forward recruit from the BCHL. McIntyre's scoring at about a point per game pace this season.

Date: October 29, 2019 08:25PM

scoop85
New forward recruit from the BCHL. McIntyre's scoring at about a point per game pace this season.

He's gonna need to add some bulk.

Date: October 29, 2019 09:09PM

Gonna turn 19 in less than a month, if he needs another year to bulk up he would graduate as a 24 1/2-year old.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 09:11PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 30, 2019 09:39PM

Trotsky
Gonna turn 19 in less than a month, if he needs another year to bulk up he would graduate as a 24 1/2-year old.

I didn't mean he should take a year off. I was just suggesting he's kind of "light" at 5'10" / 160.

Date: November 01, 2019 01:34AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

I didn't mean he should take a year off. I was just suggesting he's kind of "light" at 5'10" / 160.
Ah. Yes, I agree with you.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 10:55PM

OP updated.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 09:10PM

BCHL goalie originally from Ontario. 5-12 with a 3.69 GAA and .903 save% in 20 games for the Victoria Grizzlies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 09:15PM by ugarte.

Date: November 12, 2019 09:24PM

A little more info about Howe. He plays for the same team that produced Galajda. Despite the less than stellar stats, he seems like a solid prospect.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2019 11:03AM

scoop85
A little more info about Howe. He plays for the same team that produced Galajda. Despite the less than stellar stats, he seems like a solid prospect.

Interesting to say the least. From the article there are extenuating circumstances for his crappy numbers.

I'm going to trust our staff in selecting goalies.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 13, 2019 12:08PM

so what happened to the #1 goalie.. story says he probably would be back end of sept and still hasnt played a game

Date: November 13, 2019 02:12PM

Howe's Elite Prospects page.

6/4/01
Barrie, ON
6' 2"
Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL)

Date: November 13, 2019 04:19PM

Trotsky
scoop85

Interesting to say the least. From the article there are extenuating circumstances for his crappy numbers.

Howe previously played for Upper Canada College (which I believe is actually a prep school), where Colin Greening came from. So some additional Cornell pedigree there.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 10:04AM

scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85

Howe previously played for Upper Canada College (which I believe is actually a prep school), where Colin Greening came from. So some additional Cornell pedigree there.
Bruce Pattison,'69 also came to Cornell from Upper Canada College.

Date: November 14, 2019 10:51AM

Barrie sounds familiar. I'll do a query tonight; wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of our guys came from there.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-7.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2019 01:23PM

Trotsky
Barrie sounds familiar. I'll do a query tonight; wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of our guys came from there.

I think Mike Quinn and Gary Meager may have been from Barrie. Neither played a great number of varsity games. The bar was high to advance from the freshman team in the spring of 1971 to THE team in the fall.

I imagine NCAA recruiters had to BS all the prospective freshman that they would make it.

Author!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 01:27PM by marty.

Date: November 14, 2019 01:46PM

marty
Author!

Most of the players are veterans of the Canadian Junior B league (only Goodkind and Straight are Americans)' where offensive checking is legal.

Huh? When did offensive checking become legal in the NC$$? Or was this just a Frosh team rule?

Date: November 14, 2019 02:01PM

Carrying over from Tom's post on the Yale thread, I love seeing Malinski on the pp as a freshman. He looks absolutely comfortable out there -- part of the phenomenal freshman class. As a veteran observer of the program told me last weekend: "we replaced three solid senior defensemen with freshmen and I don't notice the difference."

SSS comments on the frosh:

Malone: perfectly cromulent with a flash now and then
Tupker 14: insufficient data for a meaningful answer
Tupker 21: already battling Motley for the 19th skater role
Stienburg: very sharp and skilled, could be a star
Berard: I didn't notice him much but hey no big mistakes

Muzyka: insufficient data for a meaningful answer
Dirven: invisible; that's a good thing for a freshman D
Mitchell: Always seems to be in the right place
Malinski: back-to-back ECAC ROTW!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 02:01PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 14, 2019 03:28PM

Trotsky
Carrying over from Tom's post on the Yale thread, I love seeing Malinski on the pp as a freshman. He looks absolutely comfortable out there -- part of the phenomenal freshman class. As a veteran observer of the program told me last weekend: "we replaced three solid senior defensemen with freshmen and I don't notice the difference."

SSS comments on the frosh:

Malone: perfectly cromulent with a flash now and then
Tupker 14: insufficient data for a meaningful answer
Tupker 21: already battling Motley for the 19th skater role
Stienburg: very sharp and skilled, could be a star
Berard: I didn't notice him much but hey no big mistakes

Muzyka: insufficient data for a meaningful answer
Dirven: invisible; that's a good thing for a freshman D
Mitchell: Always seems to be in the right place
Malinski: back-to-back ECAC ROTW!
Dirven likes to muck along the wall so I like Dirven.

Date: November 14, 2019 04:19PM

ugarte
It was disorienting to see us flying and Yale trying to goon it up and slow us down.

Date: November 14, 2019 04:55PM

Trotsky
ugarte
It was disorienting to see us flying and Yale trying to goon it up and slow us down.
I don't even mean it in a Bobby Shore old-time-hockey way, I just mean when I see him, it's mostly because he's working for possession.

Date: November 14, 2019 05:10PM

ugarte
Trotsky
ugarte
I don't even mean it in a Bobby Shore old-time-hockey way, I just mean when I see him, it's mostly because he's working for possession.

I understood that. They are the guys who won't leave the boards or the corner as long as the opponent has possession. I love those guys, too. IIRC Greening was great at it, so it isn't mutually exclusive of talent. Mullin is great at it. It's really hard work.

Mike lives for that shit, so if Dirven's doing it he's going to log quality time.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 05:12PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 06:56PM

Trotsky
marty
Author!

Most of the players are veterans of the Canadian Junior B league (only Goodkind and Straight are Americans)' where offensive checking is legal.

Huh? When did offensive checking become legal in the NC$$? Or was this just a Frosh team rule?
Not just a frosh rule, there was no body checking in the offensive zone in NCAA hockey when I was in school. Nevertheless, Ned's teams were awesome, aggressive forechecking teams, but it was like a full court press - no body hits but we were totally on top of the other team's attempts to get the puck out of their D zone. In a conversation I had one time with Giles Threadgold, the best ref in my era, he stated that John Hughes was the best forechecker he had ever seen in college hockey.

Date: November 14, 2019 07:19PM

So you could tie up the stick but not F=ma a guy? Like women's hockey now?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 07:20PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 07:42PM

Trotsky
Yes. You could draw a penalty for "checking in the offensive zone."

Date: November 14, 2019 08:54PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Yes. You could draw a penalty for "checking in the offensive zone."
What was the rationale for just the O zone? Less chance of injury backchecking than forechecking?

Date: November 19, 2019 02:33AM

marty
Trotsky

I think Mike Quinn and Gary Meager may have been from Barrie. Neither played a great number of varsity games. The bar was high to advance from the freshman team in the spring of 1971 to THE team in the fall.

I imagine NCAA recruiters had to BS all the prospective freshman that they would make it.

Author!

From Barrie (that I have):

Andy Craig (87), Stewart Smith (89), George Swan (69).

I have neither Quinn nor Meager in my records. Was Gary any relation to the amazing BU Meager brothers (Terry and Rick)? They were from Belleville.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 09:36AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 04:28AM

Trotsky
I have neither Quinn or Meager in my records. Was Gary any relation to the amazing BU Meager brothers (Terry and Rick)? They were from Belleville.

I don't know of any connection.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 05:31AM

Trotsky
Was Gary any relation to the amazing BU Meager brothers (Terry and Rick)? They were from Belleville.
Meagher

Date: November 19, 2019 09:36AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Was Gary any relation to the amazing BU Meager brothers (Terry and Rick)? They were from Belleville.
Meagher
Oh.

As you were.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 07:41PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Meagher
Oh.

As you were.

Before this goes any further off track, see the attached rosters from the varsity vs. freshmen game of Nov. 1970.

There is no Gary "Meagher". There is a Gary Meger. I haven't been able to find a freshman team roster listing hometowns, so I have no idea where he was from.

Attachments:
open | download - 1970 varsity vs freshmen rosters.pdf (290.5 KB)
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2020 11:40AM

The "Future Recruits (not incoming)" topic has a Phorum Database Error and only 6 posts, and the "Incoming Recruits" topic never was solely about "incoming" recruits but suffered from acute thread drift. So I am reviving the latter.

The Nanaimo Clippers (remember them?), announced yesterday that Jack O'Brian, the youngest member of the team, has committed to Cornell for the 2022-2023 season.

Here are some excerpts from the announcement:

Darren Naylor, Vice President and Head Coach of the Clippers
Jack is a throwback type defenceman whose first objective is to take care of his own end. He is extremely calm and rarely makes a poor decision. Jack is a natural leader and mature beyond his years. This is a first of what will be many accolades for Jack moving forward including a future high NHL draft pick.

and

ROOKIE 2003 DEFENCEMAN JACK O’BRIEN COMMITS TO CORNELL UNIVERSITY
As a 16 year old, O’Brien is the youngest Clipper this season yet he has been a mainstay on a Clippers’ defence core that currently has allowed the 2nd fewest goals against in the BCHL. He has taken on a defensive role and has shown incredible poise and maturity that one would expect from a 19-20 year-old veteran defenceman.

Date: January 16, 2020 12:50PM

It appears Michael Suda has been out injured all year. Anybody know anything? Hopefully it's something with a prognosis of full recovery.

Date: January 16, 2020 02:01PM

I believe it's Jack Lagerstrom who's been injured, not Suda

Date: January 16, 2020 02:27PM

scoop85
I believe it's Jack Lagerstrom who's been injured, not Suda
That's right.

Date: January 28, 2020 05:36PM

New recruit with the cool name of Sullivan Mack, a smallish (5’11” 180 lb) but speedy forward who’s scoring at an almost 2 ppg clip at Kimball Union Academy. I can’t seem to post Neutral Zone’s tweet about the commitment, but NZ says Mack has moved from 3.25 stars to a “high” 3.75 star rating, and that he’s a “High compete player w/a high ceiling.”

Mack is already 19, so I would imagine he’ll be coming to Ithaca next season.

Date: January 28, 2020 05:42PM

scoop85
New recruit with the cool name of Sullivan Mack, a smallish (5’11” 180 lb) but speedy forward who’s scoring at an almost 2 ppg clip at Kimball Union Academy. I can’t seem to post Neutral Zone’s tweet about the commitment, but NZ says Mack has moved from 3.25 stars to a “high” 3.75 star rating, and that he’s a “High compete player w/a high ceiling.”

Is his nickname SMack? If not, it should be.

Date: January 28, 2020 06:15PM

By my stats we have never had an Alaskan-born player. Sullivan Mack is from Anchorage.

Date: January 28, 2020 06:26PM

scoop85

We then would have 4 F / 2 D slated to replace 3 F / 1 D (Bauld, Malott, I don't wanna think about it, and Kaldis):

F Cobb (3/02)
D Lagerstrom (3/00)
F Mack (7/00)
F O'Leary (3/00)
F Penney (10/00)
D Rayhill (3/01)

Unless we're really going to 18 F (+6) and 10 D (+4) that suggests to me that Lagerstrom is still hurt and/or Cobb will get a year of seasoning in the USHL.

Date: January 28, 2020 08:31PM

Trotsky
scoop85

We then would have 4 F / 2 D slated to replace 3 F / 1 D (Bauld, Malott, I don't wanna think about it, and Kaldis):

F Cobb (3/02)
D Lagerstrom (3/00)
F Mack (7/00)
F O'Leary (3/00)
F Penney (10/00)
D Rayhill (3/01)

Unless we're really going to 18 F (+6) and 10 D (+4) that suggests to me that Lagerstrom is still hurt and/or Cobb will get a year of seasoning in the USHL.

Yeah, I too think Cobb may well be going the USHL/BCHL route

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2020 06:38AM

Trotsky
By my stats we have never had an Alaskan-born player. Sullivan Mack is from Anchorage.

Do you know how many states and Canadian provinces have produced Cornell players over the years? I know that we once went through this exercise for RPI, but I don't recall how many states there were. We have had players from all of the Canadian provinces, unless you count Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut, or regard Labrador being separate from Newfoundland.

Date: January 29, 2020 10:26AM

ursusminor
Trotsky

Do you know how many states and Canadian provinces have produced Cornell players over the years? I know that we once went through this exercise for RPI, but I don't recall how many states there were. We have had players from all of the Canadian provinces, unless you count Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut, or regard Labrador being separate from Newfoundland.

Yes, I can run that tonight. I have queries for states, provinces, and countries all set up but I can only access the back end DB from home.

Date: January 29, 2020 12:45PM

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2020 01:00PM

ursusminor

Several sites listed him as a Holy Cross commit last spring/summer.... I guess he changed his mind... Our gain; HC's loss!

-Ned Harkness

Date: January 29, 2020 01:20PM

redice

Several sites listed him as a Holy Cross commit last spring/summer.... I guess he changed his mind... Our gain; HC's loss!
Rego was a point-per-game defenseman on the top team in the AJHL's West Division after playing prep school hockey in Massachusetts. I wonder if this season drew extra recruiting attention...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2020 01:24PM by ugarte.

Date: January 29, 2020 02:02PM

ugarte
redice

Rego was a point-per-game defenseman on the top team in the AJHL's West Division after playing prep school hockey in Massachusetts. I wonder if this season drew extra recruiting attention...

Looks like we're getting another Kaldis/Malinsky type D-man, which will be nice with Yanni graduating.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.39.---)
Date: January 29, 2020 02:03PM

I have a '99 son and a '01 who both played with Tim at prep school and U18 club. Great kid, great family, great wheels and competitive drive. Awesome news!

Date: January 29, 2020 05:43PM

Rego is another 2000 hence probably another for Fall 2020.

19-33-52 in 46 GP for Brooks; leading D scorer on his team by a huge margin. 2nd among D scoring in the entire league. The #1 guy (Michael Benning) is a Denver commit.

We seem to be getting high quality as well as quantity. And that is how it's done.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.39.---)
Date: January 29, 2020 06:05PM

Tim is very quick and he gets very involved in the offense. Will be fun to watch with a Cornell sweater on.

Date: January 29, 2020 07:03PM

Neutral Zone says Rego is a “polished skater and two-way D-man. Soft hands and makes accurate passes. Keeps his gaps tight, can run a PP, upside as a top-4 guy at Cornell. Versatile and athletic.”
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2020 11:32PM by scoop85.

Date: January 29, 2020 09:57PM

ursusminor
Trotsky

States:

CA
CO
CT
DE
DC
FL
IL
MD
MA
MI
MN
MO
NH
NJ
NY
NC
ND
OH
OR
PA
RI
TX
UT
WI

Provinces:

AB
BC
MB
NB
NF
NW
NS
ON
PQ
SA

Date: January 30, 2020 01:50AM

Interesting list, Trotsky. Who was from the Northwest Territories?

Not that it is important, but didn't Quebec change to QC?

Posted by: abmarks (64.9.251.---)
Date: January 30, 2020 01:58AM

ursusminor

Joe Dragon.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2020 08:01AM

abmarks
ursusminor

Joe Dragon.

Yes, the stories that I remember hearing about Joe's home were: A: He lived 1000 miles north of Edmonton and B: He lived so far from campus that he couldn't go home for Christmas and get back before break ended. WOW!!

Date: January 30, 2020 08:52AM

ursusminor

Yes, it's officially QC, Others:

NW Territories is NT
Newfoundland is NL (Newfoundland and Labrador)
Saskatchewan is SK.

And I'm surprised that we've never had someone from PEI.

Date: January 30, 2020 05:39PM

I keep PQ because I like it. Likewise, NDak will always be the Sioux and Colgate will always be the Red Raiders.

Anybody who doesn't like it is welcome to build their own site. :-)

Date: January 30, 2020 06:11PM

Trotsky
I keep PQ because I like it. Likewise, NDak will always be the Sioux and Colgate will always be the Red Raiders.

Anybody who doesn't like it is welcome to build their own site. :-)

And Lehigh will always be the Engineers.

So there!

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: January 30, 2020 08:09PM

I'm surprised we've never had a player from Vermont

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2020 08:45PM

Weder
I'm surprised we've never had a player from Vermont

Depends on your definition of "player from" ...

Geoff Raynak, from Franklin, VT, was a backup goalie on the 92-93 team. Never played, but was definitely on the roster.

[cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: gored (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 12:14PM

I remember him!
Looks like he is doing well.
[osucascades.edu]

Posted by: ithacat (---.scl.cornell.edu)
Date: January 31, 2020 12:16PM

scoop85

Looking at the roster it appears he has a younger brother named Revelin.

From the NE Hockey Journal:

Mack's commitment to the Big Red ends one of the most hotly contested recruiting battles of the prep season. The Anchorage, Alaska, native was being procured by several top programs, including Denver and Michigan. There was known Ivy interest with Cornell and Harvard.

Date: January 31, 2020 01:12PM

Raynak will be added to the DB. I feel shame. IINM he played in a Red-White.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 02:42PM

gored
I remember him!
[osucascades.edu]
Me, too - he and/or (been too long!) his sister was on my floor freshman year. Really nice guy, and I still admire his dedication to stay with the team knowing he’d likely never play.

Date: January 31, 2020 02:52PM

Robb
gored
I remember him!
[osucascades.edu]
Me, too - he and/or (been too long!) his sister was on my floor freshman year. Really nice guy, and I still admire his dedication to stay with the team knowing he’d likely never play.
Was Raynak's sister on the women's team? I think I remember her more than him.

Geoff lives in Bend, now. Lucky bastard.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 02:54PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2020 02:57PM

Not bad for a very small farm town with only about 1,400 people. Franklin is on the Canadian border and just east of St. Albans. Maybe there is something good in the (frozen) water since John Leclair is from St. Albans. I live in Vermont and work with dairy farmers all over the area. With a town that size, I am sure I know some people that know Geoff.

Date: January 31, 2020 03:31PM

Robb
gored
I remember him!
[osucascades.edu]
20 years later and it looks like getting Kanji ice time on senior night is an improvement to the policy

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-220-16.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2020 12:07PM

ugarte
20 years later and it looks like getting Kanji ice time on senior night is an improvement to the policy

Kanji was one of the incorrect answers to one of the scoreboard quiz questions last week. I'm not certain, but I think the question may have been who was the last player to wear the number 1 before it was retired.

Posted by: abmarks (209.107.190.---)
Date: February 18, 2020 01:09PM

ugarte
redice

Wonder if someone whispered in Mallott's ear. [ajhl.ca]

THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE
OF THE ALBERTA JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE

Tim Rego Commits to Cornell University
January 29th, 2020 @ 12:00 am
BROOKS, AB (January 29, 2020) - The Brooks Bandits of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) are thrilled to announce that 2000-born defenceman Tim Rego has committed to Cornell University.

The Mansfield, Massachusetts native leads all Bandit defenceman in points with 52 (19 goals, 33 assists) in 46 games played. At 6'0” 180lb the blue liner is 2nd in the AJHL defenceman scoring race and leads all defenders with 19 goals.

Located in Ithaca, New York, the Cornell Big Red compete in the ECAC, under head coach Mike Schafer. Rego is the second Bandit in franchise history to commit to Cornell joining current Big Red captain, Jeff Malott.

Prior to joining the Bandits, Rego skated with Williston Northampton School where he was team captain and led all defensemen in scoring with 24 points (13 goals, 11 assists) in 27 games.

Date: February 21, 2020 06:20PM

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 21, 2020 07:38PM

ursusminor

6'1", 187 lb forward from Nanaimo
DOB 2002
Current stats: 49 GMS, 17G 21A, 41 PIM.

The Nanaimo webpage has him as a 2021-2022 arrival.

Date: February 21, 2020 07:55PM

Bantam doesn't mean shit but Kovich had a 67-72-139 season in 67 GP in 2017.

But for perspective, Gretzky had a 378-139-517 season in 85 GP.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 07:59PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 21, 2020 09:33PM

From this review of the CJHL Top Prospects Game:
[www.thedraftanalyst.com]

LW Kyler Kovich
Nanaimo, BCHL | 6’0, 180 | 1/31/02 | NCAA: Undecided

Kovich easily was one of the more impressive forwards throughout the game. He was physical with an in-your-face style, but he also looked very smooth with the puck in transition while showing off soft hands. Kovich spent most of the match on Team West’s top line with Danny Weight and Carter Savoie, but Kovich was far from a passenger. He’s a very good skater who made well-timed reads that helped him get an extra step or two on puck-gazing opponents. Although he played alongside several dependable puck handlers, Kovich confidently carried the puck through the zone and made smart plays near the line. His vision, timing of pass delivery, and pass accuracy were impressive as well.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 02:35AM

Don’t leave us hanging! Who was it? Chabot?

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2020 03:13AM

BMac
Don’t leave us hanging! Who was it? Chabot?

Troy Davenport.

Date: February 22, 2020 10:40AM

pfibiger
From this review of the CJHL Top Prospects Game:
[www.thedraftanalyst.com]

LW Kyler Kovich
Nanaimo, BCHL | 6’0, 180 | 1/31/02 | NCAA: Undecided

Kovich easily was one of the more impressive forwards throughout the game. He was physical with an in-your-face style, but he also looked very smooth with the puck in transition while showing off soft hands. Kovich spent most of the match on Team West’s top line with Danny Weight and Carter Savoie, but Kovich was far from a passenger. He’s a very good skater who made well-timed reads that helped him get an extra step or two on puck-gazing opponents. Although he played alongside several dependable puck handlers, Kovich confidently carried the puck through the zone and made smart plays near the line. His vision, timing of pass delivery, and pass accuracy were impressive as well.

Based on the public info Kovich seems like the kind of recruit that will fit right in with our style of play and be an early contributor.

Posted by: BearLover (198.232.50.---)
Date: February 22, 2020 11:09AM

The last 4-5 recruits have looked pretty solid. Likely a product of our success the last four seasons.

Date: February 22, 2020 11:19AM

BearLover
The last 4-5 recruits have looked pretty solid. Likely a product of our success the last four seasons.

The staff has done a terrific job the past few yers identifying talented players who fit well with the high tempo system the coaches have installed, and who can get through admissions. While there’s no guarantees of course, it’s nice to be able to enjoy current success while keeping an eye to a future that continues to look bright.

Date: February 22, 2020 11:26AM

BearLover
It's hard to tell. I guess maybe if they went in the juniors draft we could measure it by their draft position, but we really do not know until they go in the NHL draft or they get here and we can actually see them.

I've never really known how to quantify commitments. There are systems similar to the 5 star football ratings but in hockey those seem to be in their infancy.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 03:03PM

Huh! Sure!

Date: February 22, 2020 03:11PM

Trotsky
BearLover
It's hard to tell. I guess maybe if they went in the juniors draft we could measure it by their draft position, but we really do not know until they go in the NHL draft or they get here and we can actually see them.

I've never really known how to quantify commitments. There are systems similar to the 5 star football ratings but in hockey those seem to be in their infancy.

In any case, three observations:
  1. In the college game higher draft picks may be a liability because of the importance of upperclass players. Higher draft picks may be less used to being role players, which is what most underclass players are. And they are more likely to go pro earlier, depriving the team of senior and junior skills and leadership. Exhibit A: The two Boston Commonwealth Avenue teams in the first half of this season.
  2. Unlike basketball, where 1-2 superior talents often carry entire teams, hockey, with its frequent line changes, requires more balanced depth and the ability to play a certain style of play (aka "the system" ) so that as a season progresses (with injuries, illnesses, game situations, and such) players can be interchangeable. Therefore, players drafted in the fourth round or later may be more valuable to a team than higher picks. Exhibit B: Harvard during the Ryan Donato years.
  3. As an Ivy League school, Cornell has to recruit student athletes who really are students. This implies players who have athletic potential and are likely to mature into superior talents may be better recruits than the first-rounders who can't get in, or can't stay in, or can't handle the workload -- both academic and athletic. Exhibit C: Matt Stienburg is an example of such a high-potential player.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: February 24, 2020 09:20AM

Swampy
Trotsky
BearLover

1. In the college game higher draft picks may be a liability because of the importance of upperclass players. Higher draft picks may be less used to being role players, which is what most underclass players are. And they are more likely to go pro earlier, depriving the team of senior and junior skills and leadership. Exhibit A: The two Boston Commonwealth Avenue teams in the first half of this season.
  2. Unlike basketball, where 1-2 superior talents often carry entire teams, hockey, with its frequent line changes, requires more balanced depth and the ability to play a certain style of play (aka "the system" ) so that as a season progresses (with injuries, illnesses, game situations, and such) players can be interchangeable. Therefore, players drafted in the fourth round or later may be more valuable to a team than higher picks. Exhibit B: Harvard during the Ryan Donato years.
  3. As an Ivy League school, Cornell has to recruit student athletes who really are students. This implies players who have athletic potential and are likely to mature into superior talents may be better recruits than the first-rounders who can't get in, or can't stay in, or can't handle the workload -- both academic and athletic. Exhibit C: Matt Stienburg is an example of such a high-potential player.
I was operating under the assumption that Donato was a great recruiter and a crappy coach

Date: February 24, 2020 09:32AM

nshapiro
Swampy
Trotsky
BearLover

I was operating under the assumption that Donato was a great recruiter and a crappy coach

I'm not sure your statement and Swampy's items 1 & 2 are mutually exclusive. After all, it's a coach's decision who to recruit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 09:33AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-15.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 11:22AM

nshapiro

I am coming around to the idea that Donato 2020 is the new and improved coach that he wasn't when he began. (I think he earned his undergrad A's.)

Or not?

Date: February 24, 2020 03:48PM

Quint Kessenich has 4 Ivies in the top ten this week. We're #7, behind Yale (#1) & Princeton (#5), and ahead of Penn (#9).

Whew! A league that has 4/7 in the top ten ain't chopped liver. Quint noticed how much better we are this year on faceoffs. But our work is cut out for us in our league.

MEA CULPA: SOMEHOW I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM! doh
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 05:13PM by Swampy.

Posted by: French Rage (---.mediazone.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 04:58PM

Swampy
Quint Kessenich has 4 Ivies in the top ten this week. We're #7, behind Yale (#1) & Princeton (#5), and ahead of Penn (#9).

Whew! A league that has 4/7 in the top ten ain't chopped liver. Quint noticed how much better we are this year on faceoffs. But our work is cut out for us in our league.

Our hockey prospectives will be so encouraged by this success elsewhere in our athletic department that we'll get all the top recruits.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 08, 2020 09:34PM

Sullivan Mack named Prep Player of the Year by Neutral Zone

Nice to see that not only can he score, but he plays a 200 foot game. Should fit right in!

Date: March 08, 2020 09:40PM

scoop85
Sullivan Mack named Prep Player of the Year by Neutral Zone

Nice to see that not only can he score, but he plays a 200 foot game. Should fit right in!

I played around on the Neutral Zone webpage to find out about Mack's school, Kimball Academy. It seems they have an assistant coach named...Matt Underhill!

Date: March 08, 2020 09:43PM

Oh sweet Jesus, there's another Fusco coming to Bright.

Date: March 08, 2020 09:45PM

Trotsky

Oh sweet Jesus, there's another Fusco coming to Bright.

Yeah, I saw that, too.

Makes it easier to know who to despise, tho.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2020 08:23AM

Date: March 21, 2020 08:59AM

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login