Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponent News 18-19

Posted by Trotsky 
Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Opponent News 18-19
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 10, 2018 01:46PM

January opponent Arizona State started their season well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 01:48PM by Trotsky.

Re: Opponent News 18-19
Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2018 09:25PM

Arizona State appears to have an impressive schedule. I assume they are an independent--is this their first season in D1?

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: October 11, 2018 10:22PM

djk26
Arizona State appears to have an impressive schedule. I assume they are an independent--is this their first season in D1?

According to Wikipedia they've been a D-I independent since 2015-16 (after winning the ACHA title in 2014-15) and have been playing a full D-I schedule since 2016-17.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2018 08:43PM

I don't think this was caught in the last thread when we discussing Colton Point leaving, but Heisenberg's latest page shows Colgate, desperate for goaltending, lost their top rated incoming defenseman via decommit to BU.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2018 10:00PM

See:
[gocolgateraiders.com]

They have 3 freshman goalies on the roster

Posted by: marty (---.18-2.cable.virginm.net)
Date: October 13, 2018 01:20AM

Trotsky
I don't think this was caught in the last thread when we discussing Colton Point leaving, but Heisenberg's latest page shows Colgate, desperate for goaltending, lost their top rated incoming defenseman via decommit to BU.

Traded for two minor league players and a third round draft pick.

Date: October 13, 2018 01:50AM

Steve Rockey
See:
[gocolgateraiders.com]

Will "'snot you fawt, Wew!" Friend is clearly there to pull up the team GPA. A physics major among Econ majors. Hope he and McAvoy (English) hit it off -- nobody else to talk to on long bus rides.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: October 13, 2018 01:31PM

Steve Rockey
See:
[gocolgateraiders.com]

Whatever they have was good enough to score two in the third period and come from behind to beat New Hampshire at home 2-1.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 07:13AM

Q beat UConn last night. Game included this hit, which I assume is the 5 plus 10 for charging in the box score.

?s=21

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 08:40AM

Chris '03
Q beat UConn last night. Game included this hit, which I assume is the 5 plus 10 for charging in the box score.

?s=21

The Cantabrigian-monikered Brogan Rafferty, junior defenseman. How that's only a misconduct is beyond me. Calls out for some "supplemental discipline."

I can't say it's never happened, but I feel like I don't see us pull that Scott Stevens BS that often. And I have an idea that Schafer would bench a player that did that for at least a game.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-18.myvzw.com)
Date: October 17, 2018 10:35AM

Looked like a good clean hit to me. Kept his hands down and all. A hard hit isn’t necessarily a dirty hit. Not sure how it could be called charging given he coasted into him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 10:36AM by CU2007.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 11:50AM

Hard to say. I think the Deer-tick D-man led with his shoulder a bit, but the U-Conn player was smaller and was also hunched over so his head was in a more vulnerable position.

In the heat of the moment, probably a good call. IMHO no supplementary discipline needed, but your mileage may vary.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: October 17, 2018 12:38PM

Scersk '97
Chris '03

?s=21

The Cantabrigian-monikered Brogan Rafferty, junior defenseman. How that's only a misconduct is beyond me. Calls out for some "supplemental discipline."

I can't say it's never happened, but I feel like I don't see us pull that Scott Stevens BS that often. And I have an idea that Schafer Pecknold would bench nominate a player that did that for at least a game hit of the week.

FYP

Date: October 20, 2018 12:33AM

Very good night for the conference, going 4-0-0 with three upsets over top-20 teams:

SLU 4 Holy Cross 3

Clarkson 4 #15 Wisconsin 2

Quinnipiac 1 #18 BC 0

#20 Union 4 at #12 Northeastern 3 (ot)

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2018 08:12AM

does this make Guelph better than Wisc?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2018 12:44PM

Union and Clarkson win again with the former's win helping a bit more since Northeastern was higher ranked in the pairwise.

Date: October 21, 2018 12:57PM

SSS PWR:
 3. Quinnipiac
 4. Union
11. Clarkson
23. Colgate
38. RPI
43. SLU
The six Ivies are all undefined.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2018 04:12PM

Trotsky
SSS PWR:
 3. Quinnipiac
 4. Union
11. Clarkson
23. Colgate
38. RPI
43. SLU
The six Ivies are all undefined.

Talk about meaningless.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: October 22, 2018 10:56AM

Colgate got rolled by RIT even while out shooting them pretty widely,

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2018 06:10PM

upprdeck

Goalies are their big question mark. Here's hoping that none of the new guys pan out. Currently their save %s are .905 & .857. Neither of those will likely lead to a good season.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2018 08:10PM

Jim Hyla
upprdeck

Goalies are their big question mark. Here's hoping that none of the new guys pan out. Currently their save %s are .905 & .857. Neither of those will likely lead to a good season.

I might wish for them to give us a good fight, lose to us by 1 goal home and away and beat the crap out of the teams they play as our travel partner. In the league I only hate Union and wish that Harvard will lose all its remaining games to Cornell - until forever or a bit longer.

Date: October 22, 2018 10:01PM

marty
I might wish for them to give us a good fight, lose to us by 1 goal home and away and beat the crap out of the teams they play as our travel partner. In the league I only hate Union and wish that Harvard will lose all its remaining games to Cornell - until forever or a bit longer.
I'm not wild about Q, either, but I basically endorse this sentiment.

Date: November 09, 2018 09:45PM

Harvard tied Yale tonight. The game ended on a nasty and dangerous hit by Harvard on Yale star forward Snively.

Date: November 10, 2018 08:44AM

I saw the H-Y OT after enjoying Union tie up Princeton so that they could lose to the Tigers in OT.

Also enjoyed not hearing the more annoying Qpuke announcer last night. Hopefully he's gone on to pee-wee play by play.

Nice for 5 bucks a month.

Date: November 10, 2018 08:50AM

marty

Also enjoyed not hearing the more annoying Qpuke announcer last night. Hopefully he's gone on to pee-wee play by play.

If you're talking about Bill Schweizer, he retired at the end of the previous season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 08:50AM by Iceberg.

Date: November 10, 2018 09:52AM

Iceberg
marty

If you're talking about Bill Schweizer, he retired at the end of the previous season.

Yippee!

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 09:23AM

Date: November 18, 2018 09:37AM

Date: November 18, 2018 10:08AM

Yeah, it would seem like ASU is to be taken seriously this year. Overall, the conference didn't do too bad in OOC play this weekend, though.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-10.myvzw.com)
Date: November 25, 2018 04:48PM

Check out RPI TV on Youtube for this afternoon's game vs UMass Lowell. Just before the 6:50 mark of the first period RPI scored on itself when adding an extra man during a delayed powerplay call against Lowell.

Not as nifty as Mitch's empty net goal but nearly as rare.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 26, 2018 07:46PM

marty
Check out RPI TV on Youtube for this afternoon's game vs UMass Lowell. Just before the 6:50 mark of the first period RPI scored on itself when adding an extra man during a delayed powerplay call against Lowell.

Unfortunately all I get from RPI TV is a message that the content was blocked due toi a copyright issue.

Maybe there's something in the pucks, USCHO reports that North Dakota had 2 own goals in game Saturday against Alaska Anchorage and now has 4 in last 4 games.

"7. North Dakota scores four goals in its opponent’s net and two in its own on Saturday

North Dakota put two pucks into its own net to give Alaska Anchorage a 2-0 lead on Saturday night. UAA’s Nicolas Erb-Ekholm was given credit for both goals. According to Brad Schlossman, the two own goals gave UND four in its last four games."

I wonder what's the record for a season?

Date: November 26, 2018 09:13PM

Jim Hyla
marty
Check out RPI TV on YouTube for this afternoon's game vs U Mass Lowell. Just before the 6:50 mark of the first period RPI scored on itself when adding an extra man during a delayed powerplay call against Lowell.

Unfortunately all I get from RPI TV is a message that the content was blocked due toi a copyright issue.

I was thinking about grabbing a copy of the goal for YouTube when I too saw that message. We actually looked at the goal on my phone at the rink and the original shot was of the RPI player sitting on the ice after drawing the penalty. But on a longer view at home last night - before they pulled the video - they showed a different view as a replay. It wasn't all that enlightening due to the shot being from the other end of the rink.

The loss of the video due to copyright adds insult to injury. We had to sit through the crappy song selection during the game. They even played a song each time Lowell scored.

Date: November 27, 2018 12:36PM

Jim Hyla
marty

Maybe there's something in the pucks, USCHO reports that North Dakota had 2 own goals in game Saturday against Alaska Anchorage and now has 4 in last 4 games.

"7. North Dakota scores four goals in its opponent’s net and two in its own on Saturday

North Dakota put two pucks into its own net to give Alaska Anchorage a 2-0 lead on Saturday night. UAA’s Nicolas Erb-Ekholm was given credit for both goals. According to Brad Schlossman, the two own goals gave UND four in its last four games."

Those weren't empty net own goals, however. Those were the type of goals where it goes in off your own Dman's skate. I assume. Otherwise 4 in 4 games is utterly insane. IINM Cornell has benefited from only 1 en own goal in the 38 years I have been a fan. (Dave Crombeen at RPI 3/1/86)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 12:36PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 28, 2018 10:17AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
marty

Those weren't empty net own goals, however. Those were the type of goals where it goes in off your own Dman's skate. I assume. Otherwise 4 in 4 games is utterly insane. IINM Cornell has benefited from only 1 en own goal in the 38 years I have been a fan. (Dave Crombeen at RPI 3/1/86)

The game is back here. Watch from about 18:30on the YouTube clip to see the play develop. At 20:00 you can see the replay showing the whole ice view. The announcer called it a deflection on watching the replay. If so, it might have been off the point defender's stick.

I emailed RPI TV about the music problem and their reply a day or two ago was that RPI TV had requested that YouTube strip the music out of the video so that it could be restored. I didn't know that YouTube would take care of this type of request.

Watch from 1:25:30 to see the RPI team self destruct in the last 5 minutes of period 2.twak

Date: December 08, 2018 04:37AM

Princeton lost their 6th straight last night, shut out at home by Arizona State.

Posted by: RichH (---.revip6.asianet.co.th)
Date: December 08, 2018 05:06AM

Trotsky
Princeton lost their 6th straight last night, shut out at home by Arizona State.

After their rough CNY weekend, their last 4 games have been against teams in the top 10 of PWR (#1, 4, 4, 10)

Looks like we can count Kuffner & Véronneau out of the Hobey chase.

Meanwhile QU is having the season we did last year and has 2 of the top 10 goal scorers nationally in Priskie & Tufto.

Date: December 08, 2018 10:22AM

Princeton is a one-line team that was able to catch lightning in a bottle the second half of last year. Their issue has always been a lack of defense and goaltending, strength of schedule aside.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2018 10:33AM

RichH
Trotsky

After their rough CNY weekend, their last 4 games have been against teams in the top 10 of PWR (#1, 4, 4, 10)

Meanwhile QU is having the season we did last year and has 2 of the top 10 goal scorers nationally in Priskie & Tufto.

Q is playing with a lot of confidence. I'll be at the game in Hamden next month, which will be my first time there. Looking forward to it.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2018 02:18PM

scoop85
RichH
Trotsky

Q is playing with a lot of confidence. I'll be at the game in Hamden next month, which will be my first time there. Looking forward to it.
There's nothing to look forward to about going to watch a game at Quinnipiac. The traffic jams leaving the rink are horrible. The loud, canned music they play -- even though there may be two pep bands there -- is annoying. The "sellouts" they always have consist of hundreds of empty seats. If you're lucky, they'll also give out thundersticks to the fans who are there. They have hockey cheerleaders. And of course Pecknold is one of the most despised opposing coaches. Other than that, it's a great atmosphere.

Date: December 08, 2018 04:02PM

dbilmes
scoop85
RichH
Trotsky

There's nothing to look forward to about going to watch a game at Quinnipiac. The traffic jams leaving the rink are horrible. The loud, canned music they play -- even though there may be two pep bands there -- is annoying. The "sellouts" they always have consist of hundreds of empty seats. If you're lucky, they'll also give out thundersticks to the fans who are there. They have hockey cheerleaders. And of course Pecknold is one of the most despised opposing coaches. Other than that, it's a great atmosphere.

But a positive is that you can eat dinner in New Haven, including at one of the overrated-but-still-good pizza places, instead of eating the shit they serve at the arena.

IIRC, the CT & RI Cornell clubs are having some kind of a shindig in conjunction with the game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2018 04:56PM

Swampy
But a positive is that you can eat dinner in New Haven, including at one of the overrated-but-still-good pizza places, instead of eating the shit they serve at the arena.
You really have this one wrong. Best pizza anywhere. Stick to lacrosse.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-25.myvzw.com)
Date: December 08, 2018 09:06PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy

Please don't leave the joint nameless. We've not really visited NH since 06.

And tonight I'll take my pizza with Onion. Yale did, too 3-0.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 09:48PM by marty.

Date: December 08, 2018 10:20PM

Hockey cheerleaders are awesome, even if they don't skate.

Princeton lost again to ASU. That is going to be a tough home pair.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2018 10:50PM

Not sure what is go8mg on with Princeton’s lack of offense - I thought that was supposed to be their threat.

Date: December 09, 2018 10:52AM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy

Al, are you talking about New Haven’s pizza or the arena’s?

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2018 03:56PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
Swampy

The legendary New Haven pizza places are Sally's Apizza, Modern Apizza and Pepe's Pizza. Bar is considered close, but just a notch below them. Most pizza lovers are passionate about their favorite one of the New Haven trio. I'm a huge Modern fan, for example, and will be going there before the Yale game. But on a weekend you have to expect long lines at all of them, so give yourself plenty of time.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2018 09:17PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
You really have this one wrong. Best pizza anywhere.

[www.thedailymeal.com]

Scroll alladaway down.

Date: December 16, 2018 10:39AM

So last night here in Philly, Princeton and Penn State played a game over at Wells Fargo Center (the Flyers arena) and it wound up being a pretty good game. I was able to go last minute because of a friend that works at Princeton and we saw Princeton play poorly for the first period (went down 4-1 and pulled their goaltender early in the 2nd) until they came all the way back to tie in the last 2 minutes of regulation. They even had a breakaway in OT that the Penn State goaltender made a stellar save on. As one can imagine, the place was 90-95% Penn state fans (this city has no shortage of their alumni) and they were quite vocal, although rather tame compared to what we're used to hearing at Lynah.

Date: January 07, 2019 07:54AM

Dartmouth hockey coach, George Crowe, has died.

I don't know what happened to him after his buildup to the very successful '79 & '80 seasons, but those were certainly 2 of Dartmouth's best.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2019 03:17PM

Jim Hyla

I don't know what happened to him after his buildup to the very successful '79 & '80 seasons, but those were certainly 2 of Dartmouth's best.

They went in the tank pretty hard after that, for whatever reason.

Date: January 07, 2019 05:20PM

adamw
Jim Hyla

Adam, I know they tanked.:-D Why is the reason.

I like to think it was because as an 8 seed we beat them in the 1980 ECAC Finals. It "took all the starch out of them".dribble

Of course they did go on to stomp on us in the meaningless NCAA consy game.

That was a strange year. We were .500 in the season, the #8 ECAC seed and went on to beat, in order, the #1, #2 and then #3 Dartmouth to be the ECAC Champion.

In the NCAAs we almost made it to the finals, which is why those consy games were so terrible.

Date: January 08, 2019 08:58PM

I noticed BU was up 1-0 over Harvard, listed at the Bright. Why isn't this showing up on ESPN+ on my ROKU? I wanted to watch the 3rd period.

Forget it, I found it listed under hockey - it just wasn't where I expected.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 09:01PM by marty.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2019 09:59PM

marty
I noticed BU was up 1-0 over Harvard, listed at the Bright. Why isn't this showing up on ESPN+ on my ROKU? I wanted to watch the 3rd period.

their listing is very wonky but you can often find stuff by searching for the school name (but this is also wonky)

Date: January 09, 2019 07:32AM

ugarte
marty

their listing is very wonky but you can often find stuff by searching for the school name (but this is also wonky)

When I first went to the Roku app "Live and Upcoming" didn't show the game. I later found it when I looked at "Hockey" but the ridiculous thing was that when I clicked out of the game after the OT period, it WAS listed as "Live and Upcoming". this is still megabytes better than ILDN and cheaper to boot.

Date: January 10, 2019 01:23PM

adamw
Jim Hyla

Supposedly they tanked right after they adopted the Academic Index and stopped letting in the mouth breathers.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: January 11, 2019 07:27AM

Trotsky
adamw
Jim Hyla

Supposedly they tanked right after they adopted the Academic Index and stopped letting in the mouth breathers.

Like Bob Gaudet!

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-1.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2019 07:14PM

Less than 4 minutes into the Brown, Providence game and Brown down 2-0. Ughhhhly!

Re: Opponent News 18-19 - UMass payroll
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 10:00AM

Boston Globe reports Normand Bazin, head coach of hockey at #1 ranked UMass Amherst earns $464,538.53 and is the 16th best-paid employee of the state of Massachusetts workers. Football and basketball coach each make just about $500K. [www.bostonglobe.com] [Edit add: This is the UM-Lowell coach. UM-Amherst coach is Greg Carvel St. Lawrence '93 / St Lawrence coach through 2016, paid in the low 300s.]

One could see why it might be tempting for a really good Ivy coach to jump and salt away enough for his kids' college education and retirement. Conversely, the Ivies, through significant alumni support, not operating funds, could make it worthwhile for coaches in key sports - football, hockey, lacrosse, wrestling, basketball at least - to stick around, and offset the lack of athletic scholarships might be offset.

(IIRC Penn State in the past has been able to sidestep state employee salary reporting / sunshine law rules, so it's not easy to see what Jeff Tambroni makes. In doing a quick search on Penn State salaries, I found this tidbit: Penn State's athletic director hire in 2014 came from UC Berkeley, was making $400, was asked to leave, and winds up in Happy Valley making $700K. [www.pennlive.com])
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 11:20AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.29.---)
Date: January 17, 2019 10:52AM

Bazin is the Lowell coach. The guy you want is Greg Carvel, who was paid around $318,000 in 2018.

Date: January 18, 2019 09:28AM

billhoward
One could see why it might be tempting for a really good Ivy coach to jump and salt away enough for his kids' college education and retirement. Conversely, the Ivies, through significant alumni support, not operating funds, could make it worthwhile for coaches in key sports - football, hockey, lacrosse, wrestling, basketball at least - to stick around, and offset the lack of athletic scholarships might be offset.

I believe it's also true that many (all) Ivies offer free tuition to children of employees, and that many (all?) of the Ivies have deals with "peer" institutions that allow their employees' children to attend the peer institution at similar cost. So to a coach with, say, 3 kids who expects them to go to schools like Johns Hopkins, rather than "weather vane" schools like, for example, University of Wisconsin Stevens Point, a gig at an Ivy could be worth an (inflation-protected) $600K or more.

Date: January 18, 2019 10:19AM

cornell does not offer free tuition to kids of employees.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 10:24AM

Cornell does give a tuition benefit to the children of its employees, at least it did when my kids were in college in the early 2000's. It is not 100% of the cost of college and the amount of the benefit depends on when the employee started working at Cornell. I believe you currently need to be employed full time for 10 years before the benefit vests and the benefit can be applied to other schools -- not just attending Cornell.

Posted by: Weder (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 11:15AM

I believe staff had to be hired before 1983 to get the full tuition benefit. Not sure about the date for faculty. I attended under the 100% benefit, but CU always managed to find $1,000 or so each semester in “fees” that were not covered by the benefit.

If I remember corrcectly, the fees might have been partially covered by the New York State TAP grants I got.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 11:20AM by Weder.

Date: January 18, 2019 11:34AM

I think its 30/50 now

Date: January 18, 2019 05:52PM

Seems I may have opened a can of worms by bringing this up. For those who are unaware of the way things commonly work in higher ed these days, there are several gotcha's in any discussion of tuition. Chief among these are "fees." Especially at state universities it's common for tuition increases to be modest, while "fees" go through the roof. This practice allows university administrators and politicians to pat themselves on the back ("Look at what a good job we've done keeping the cost of college low: tuition at weather vane U. has gone up on 3% over the last 5 years.";) while the real cost of attending increases due to fees for computer labs, the new gym, a faculty/staff parking garage, scholarship funds, and what have you.

But, of course, I'm sure Cornell's administration would never stoop to such deceptive practices.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 09:31PM

Cornell absolutely does distinguish between tuition and fees....When my first child entered CALS in 2000, fees constituted about half of the non-housing/dining bill we had to pay. Which took us by surprise and therefore required loans since we had only budgeted to pay room and board thinking "tuition" was free. I started at Cornell in the 70's so my kids went to school tuition free. Who knew it would actually cost us less to send a kid to the Hotel School than to the Ag School.

Date: January 18, 2019 09:40PM

Interesting that PHY are #1, 3, 5 in penalty minutes per game. Ivy teams lead the nation in penalty minutes per game? Who’d of thunk it?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2019 10:24PM

Swampy
Interesting that PHY are #1, 3, 5 in penalty minutes per game. Ivy teams lead the nation in penalty minutes per game? Who’d of thunk it?

They have the boorish manners of a Yalie.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2019 07:56PM

Q beats BU in last couple of seconds. Watched most of the third period. Both defenses were terrible.

Reasonably large gap from our #8 to Q’s #7 in PWR. We are on top of a large closely bunched teams in PWR. Will see how it works out at the end of the day.

Q to #6 with the win

Date: January 24, 2019 10:44AM

This article has been up for some time, but we missed it. Ty Pelton-Byce has transferred from Harvard to Wisconsin.

The article says:
CHN
The 6-foot-2, 195-pound forward played two seasons at Harvard, but then was ruled academically ineligible.

I'll leave it to you readers to explain what it takes to be academically ineligible at an institution with notorious grade inflation and related academic coddling of students.

Date: January 25, 2019 04:32PM

From a post on USCHO:

Interesting that every Harvard recruit that committed early (2015) to matriculate to the school in 2019 is no longer committed. Academics can always play a factor here, but:

- Marshall Warren (felt better pasture at BC)
- Ryan Doolin, Brad Cocca, and Jon Russell (likely left in search of more playing time)

Date: January 25, 2019 07:33PM

Meanwhile, Northern Michigan is hosting Mankato this weekend. Mankato is right above Cornell in the pairwise right now and a Northern Michigan sweep would obviously be the most ideal thing.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2019 08:10PM

Trotsky
From a post on USCHO:

Interesting that every Harvard recruit that committed early (2015) to matriculate to the school in 2019 is no longer committed. Academics can always play a factor here, but:

- Marshall Warren (felt better pasture at BC)
- Ryan Doolin, Brad Cocca, and Jon Russell (likely left in search of more playing time)
I don't quite understand what either of those two sets of reasons ("pasture"?) (more playing time where?) actually means. But Harvard's and Cornell's recruiting philosophies are basically polar opposites at this point.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-8.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2019 05:21PM

It's not on CHN but the postponed Mayor's cup is taking place tonight in Albany at the TU Center. The women Engineers are up 2-0 at the second intermission vs. Union.

Men's game will go off at 6. This is the 7th iteration of this tournament the successor to the Governor's Cup. It's likely 2 or 3 of mayors of Troy, Albany and Schenectady will be in the house.

To my knowledge the Governor never showed at the tourney named in his honor.

2014 version ended like this.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2019 05:24PM by marty.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 29, 2019 05:30PM

marty
if you want him to come, tell him deblasio hates it.

Date: January 29, 2019 05:34PM

marty
It's not on CHN but the postponed Mayor's cup is taking place tonight in Albany at the TU Center. The women Engineers are up 2-0 at the second intermission vs. Union.

Men's game will go off at 6. This is the 7th iteration of this tournament the successor to the Governor's Cup. It's likely 2 or 3 of mayors of Troy, Albany and Schenectady will be in the house.

2014 version ended like this.

The men's game 10 days ago was going to be at 6:00. Today it is at 7:00.

Date: January 29, 2019 06:47PM

ugarte
marty
if you want him to come, tell him deblasio hates it.
That'll get the Post to cover it, too.

Date: January 29, 2019 06:48PM

Given our weekend opponents, let's do that again.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-8.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2019 09:36PM

Trotsky

0-0 after OT with a shoot out coming up. The OT was almost all RPI's. SOG was 43-20 in Union's favor. Two mediocre teams. RPI's freshman goalie is coming along.

Date: January 30, 2019 06:30AM

marty
Trotsky

0-0 after OT with a shoot out coming up. The OT was almost all RPI's. SOG was 43-20 in Union's favor. Two mediocre teams. RPI's freshman goalie is coming along.

#26 won the shootout 3-2 in 6 rounds.
As you wrote, RPI was the better team in the OT. It also was the better team in the 2nd period. Union was the better team in the 1st and 3rd periods. That seems to indicate that the rink was tilted to one end.

Considering how RPI has played the last few years, mediocre is a distinct improvement. :-)

And RPI's women won 2-1 over a surprisingly strong Union team in the earlier game. Lovisa Selander's 29 saves puts her just 148 behind the NCAA career mark in saves with eight regular season games remaining.

Date: February 01, 2019 10:53PM

Harvard has jumped significantly up in the PWR. They now sit at #11.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-10.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2019 03:09PM

Anyone know if the the Beanpot is available to watch online (for free)?

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2019 04:30PM

It's on Nesn and Nesn go. If you have Comcast/Xfinity you can sign in at The NESNGO site. But no free stream that I can find.

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez is working on Free Hockey For All, though I think Bernie Sanders would have a better shot at it.

Date: February 04, 2019 04:41PM

Please do not post politics here. I do not want to know for a fact how much stupider you all are than I already think.

Posted by: Cornell95 (159.127.207.---)
Date: February 04, 2019 04:51PM

opening round of the BeanPot tonight

Harvard playing BC at 5pm
Northeastern playing BU at 8pm

Games are on NESN if you are in the New England region

Date: February 04, 2019 05:14PM

Harvard should feel very comfortable. Stands close to empty, just like a game at Lynah East. And they give up the first goal BC 1-0.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 08:12PM

TimV
Harvard should feel very comfortable. Stands close to empty, just like a game at Lynah East. And they give up the first goal BC 1-0.

And of course BC, losers of something like 25 straight nonconference games, beats Harvard in the beanpot.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2019 08:35PM

Harvard's loss today knocks down Cornell's adjusted RPI from .5581 to .5549. With Harvard being a 3 time opponent, and also a two time opponent of many of our opponents, they impact our RPI more than our other opponents. Also, their dropping in PWR affects our Quality Win Bonus points.

Date: February 04, 2019 08:50PM

Bastards!

Posted by: RichH (---.revip6.asianet.co.th)
Date: February 05, 2019 02:36AM

Chris '03
TimV

And of course BC, losers of something like 25 straight nonconference games, beats Harvard in the beanpot.

You can count on Harvard to ruin everything that is good. BC even lost to Bentley during that streak. They hadn’t won a non-conference game since 2016.

Christ. Harvard sucks.

Date: February 05, 2019 08:55AM

What the hell happened to BC? Did they get caught doing an Elephant Walk or something?

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: February 05, 2019 03:57PM

Trotsky
What the hell happened to BC? Did they get caught doing an Elephant Walk or something?

The "since 2016" RichH is referring to is the calendar year, not the 2015-2016 season - BC's NC record in 2016-2017 was pretty much normal given their overall record.

BC didn't win any NC games last season but they managed to finish first in Hockey East, which is supremely weird unless Hockey East as a whole was terrible last year. This year is clearly a down year for them - if they keep pace it'll be the first losing season Jerry York has suffered since his Bowling Green days.

Date: February 08, 2019 11:20PM

If I read the Q USCHO thread correctly, their senior defenseman BU-transfer (and 3rd-leading scorer) Brandon Fortunato is lost to injury for the season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 11:21PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (198.232.63.---)
Date: February 08, 2019 11:51PM

Trotsky
If I read the Q USCHO thread correctly, their senior defenseman BU-transfer (and 3rd-leading scorer) Brandon Fortunato is lost to injury for the season.
Brutal if true. All these injuries make me think the Ivies playing fewer games overall might make up for having to start the season late.

Date: February 09, 2019 09:51AM

BearLover
Trotsky
Brutal if true. All these injuries make me think the Ivies playing fewer games overall might make up for having to start the season late.

Why is that? We certainly have had our share of injuries this year and just last night another terrible one.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-220-18.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2019 09:55AM

Jim Hyla
BearLover
Trotsky

Why is that? We certainly have had our share of injuries this year and just last night another terrible one.

I think BearLover just means that the more games you play, the higher the likelihood that you wind up with injuries. And that that higher likelihood may outweigh the additional experience gained by playing more games and starting the season earlier.

Or perhaps not. I'm sure BearLover will explain.

Date: February 09, 2019 09:56AM

Jim Hyla
BearLover
Trotsky

Because fewer games = fewer chances for your players to get injured.

Though thinking about it more now, the games we skip occur at the beginning of the season, so that would really only help us with especially long-term injuries.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-203-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2019 10:09AM

Jim Hyla
BearLover
Trotsky

Agree with Jim. Injuries are random (except when the result of retaliation or poor conditioning) and the degree to which someone suffers is extremely random. For example I give that poor official who died because he slipped during warmups.

Date: February 09, 2019 05:08PM

Jim Hyla
BearLover
Trotsky

What really sucks is that we have some important injuries that could have been prevented. Andreev's was because of a cheap shot from behind, but AFAIK the ECAC didn't do anything extra to that asshole Baughman. And, according to Schafer Haiskanen's happened because the refs waited too long to call icing.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-203-2.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2019 07:55PM

Minnesota State was behind late in the 3rd and yet won in OT.

Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login