Sunday, December 16th, 2018
Who is this season's most improved player?
Matt Buckles
Jeff Kubiak
Alex Rauter
Trevor Yates

Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponent News 18-19

Posted by Trotsky 
Opponent News 18-19
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 10, 2018 01:46PM

January opponent Arizona State started their season well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 01:48PM by Trotsky.

Re: Opponent News 18-19
Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2018 09:25PM

Arizona State appears to have an impressive schedule. I assume they are an independent--is this their first season in D1?

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: October 11, 2018 10:22PM

djk26
Arizona State appears to have an impressive schedule. I assume they are an independent--is this their first season in D1?

According to Wikipedia they've been a D-I independent since 2015-16 (after winning the ACHA title in 2014-15) and have been playing a full D-I schedule since 2016-17.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2018 08:43PM

I don't think this was caught in the last thread when we discussing Colton Point leaving, but Heisenberg's latest page shows Colgate, desperate for goaltending, lost their top rated incoming defenseman via decommit to BU.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2018 10:00PM

See:
[gocolgateraiders.com]

They have 3 freshman goalies on the roster

Posted by: marty (---.18-2.cable.virginm.net)
Date: October 13, 2018 01:20AM

Trotsky
I don't think this was caught in the last thread when we discussing Colton Point leaving, but Heisenberg's latest page shows Colgate, desperate for goaltending, lost their top rated incoming defenseman via decommit to BU.

Traded for two minor league players and a third round draft pick.

Date: October 13, 2018 01:50AM

Steve Rockey
See:
[gocolgateraiders.com]

Will "'snot you fawt, Wew!" Friend is clearly there to pull up the team GPA. A physics major among Econ majors. Hope he and McAvoy (English) hit it off -- nobody else to talk to on long bus rides.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: October 13, 2018 01:31PM

Steve Rockey
See:
[gocolgateraiders.com]

Whatever they have was good enough to score two in the third period and come from behind to beat New Hampshire at home 2-1.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 07:13AM

Q beat UConn last night. Game included this hit, which I assume is the 5 plus 10 for charging in the box score.

?s=21

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 08:40AM

Chris '03
Q beat UConn last night. Game included this hit, which I assume is the 5 plus 10 for charging in the box score.

?s=21

The Cantabrigian-monikered Brogan Rafferty, junior defenseman. How that's only a misconduct is beyond me. Calls out for some "supplemental discipline."

I can't say it's never happened, but I feel like I don't see us pull that Scott Stevens BS that often. And I have an idea that Schafer would bench a player that did that for at least a game.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-18.myvzw.com)
Date: October 17, 2018 10:35AM

Looked like a good clean hit to me. Kept his hands down and all. A hard hit isn’t necessarily a dirty hit. Not sure how it could be called charging given he coasted into him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 10:36AM by CU2007.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 11:50AM

Hard to say. I think the Deer-tick D-man led with his shoulder a bit, but the U-Conn player was smaller and was also hunched over so his head was in a more vulnerable position.

In the heat of the moment, probably a good call. IMHO no supplementary discipline needed, but your mileage may vary.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: October 17, 2018 12:38PM

Scersk '97
Chris '03

?s=21

The Cantabrigian-monikered Brogan Rafferty, junior defenseman. How that's only a misconduct is beyond me. Calls out for some "supplemental discipline."

I can't say it's never happened, but I feel like I don't see us pull that Scott Stevens BS that often. And I have an idea that Schafer Pecknold would bench nominate a player that did that for at least a game hit of the week.

FYP

Date: October 20, 2018 12:33AM

Very good night for the conference, going 4-0-0 with three upsets over top-20 teams:

SLU 4 Holy Cross 3

Clarkson 4 #15 Wisconsin 2

Quinnipiac 1 #18 BC 0

#20 Union 4 at #12 Northeastern 3 (ot)

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2018 08:12AM

does this make Guelph better than Wisc?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2018 12:44PM

Union and Clarkson win again with the former's win helping a bit more since Northeastern was higher ranked in the pairwise.

Date: October 21, 2018 12:57PM

SSS PWR:
 3. Quinnipiac
 4. Union
11. Clarkson
23. Colgate
38. RPI
43. SLU
The six Ivies are all undefined.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2018 04:12PM

Trotsky
SSS PWR:
 3. Quinnipiac
 4. Union
11. Clarkson
23. Colgate
38. RPI
43. SLU
The six Ivies are all undefined.

Talk about meaningless.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: October 22, 2018 10:56AM

Colgate got rolled by RIT even while out shooting them pretty widely,

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2018 06:10PM

upprdeck

Goalies are their big question mark. Here's hoping that none of the new guys pan out. Currently their save %s are .905 & .857. Neither of those will likely lead to a good season.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2018 08:10PM

Jim Hyla
upprdeck

Goalies are their big question mark. Here's hoping that none of the new guys pan out. Currently their save %s are .905 & .857. Neither of those will likely lead to a good season.

I might wish for them to give us a good fight, lose to us by 1 goal home and away and beat the crap out of the teams they play as our travel partner. In the league I only hate Union and wish that Harvard will lose all its remaining games to Cornell - until forever or a bit longer.

Date: October 22, 2018 10:01PM

marty
I might wish for them to give us a good fight, lose to us by 1 goal home and away and beat the crap out of the teams they play as our travel partner. In the league I only hate Union and wish that Harvard will lose all its remaining games to Cornell - until forever or a bit longer.
I'm not wild about Q, either, but I basically endorse this sentiment.

Date: November 09, 2018 09:45PM

Harvard tied Yale tonight. The game ended on a nasty and dangerous hit by Harvard on Yale star forward Snively.

Date: November 10, 2018 08:44AM

I saw the H-Y OT after enjoying Union tie up Princeton so that they could lose to the Tigers in OT.

Also enjoyed not hearing the more annoying Qpuke announcer last night. Hopefully he's gone on to pee-wee play by play.

Nice for 5 bucks a month.

Date: November 10, 2018 08:50AM

marty

Also enjoyed not hearing the more annoying Qpuke announcer last night. Hopefully he's gone on to pee-wee play by play.

If you're talking about Bill Schweizer, he retired at the end of the previous season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 08:50AM by Iceberg.

Date: November 10, 2018 09:52AM

Iceberg
marty

If you're talking about Bill Schweizer, he retired at the end of the previous season.

Yippee!

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 09:23AM

Date: November 18, 2018 09:37AM

Date: November 18, 2018 10:08AM

Yeah, it would seem like ASU is to be taken seriously this year. Overall, the conference didn't do too bad in OOC play this weekend, though.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-10.myvzw.com)
Date: November 25, 2018 04:48PM

Check out RPI TV on Youtube for this afternoon's game vs UMass Lowell. Just before the 6:50 mark of the first period RPI scored on itself when adding an extra man during a delayed powerplay call against Lowell.

Not as nifty as Mitch's empty net goal but nearly as rare.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: November 26, 2018 07:46PM

marty
Check out RPI TV on Youtube for this afternoon's game vs UMass Lowell. Just before the 6:50 mark of the first period RPI scored on itself when adding an extra man during a delayed powerplay call against Lowell.

Unfortunately all I get from RPI TV is a message that the content was blocked due toi a copyright issue.

Maybe there's something in the pucks, USCHO reports that North Dakota had 2 own goals in game Saturday against Alaska Anchorage and now has 4 in last 4 games.

"7. North Dakota scores four goals in its opponent’s net and two in its own on Saturday

North Dakota put two pucks into its own net to give Alaska Anchorage a 2-0 lead on Saturday night. UAA’s Nicolas Erb-Ekholm was given credit for both goals. According to Brad Schlossman, the two own goals gave UND four in its last four games."

I wonder what's the record for a season?

Date: November 26, 2018 09:13PM

Jim Hyla
marty
Check out RPI TV on YouTube for this afternoon's game vs U Mass Lowell. Just before the 6:50 mark of the first period RPI scored on itself when adding an extra man during a delayed powerplay call against Lowell.

Unfortunately all I get from RPI TV is a message that the content was blocked due toi a copyright issue.

I was thinking about grabbing a copy of the goal for YouTube when I too saw that message. We actually looked at the goal on my phone at the rink and the original shot was of the RPI player sitting on the ice after drawing the penalty. But on a longer view at home last night - before they pulled the video - they showed a different view as a replay. It wasn't all that enlightening due to the shot being from the other end of the rink.

The loss of the video due to copyright adds insult to injury. We had to sit through the crappy song selection during the game. They even played a song each time Lowell scored.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2018 12:36PM

Jim Hyla
marty

Maybe there's something in the pucks, USCHO reports that North Dakota had 2 own goals in game Saturday against Alaska Anchorage and now has 4 in last 4 games.

"7. North Dakota scores four goals in its opponent’s net and two in its own on Saturday

North Dakota put two pucks into its own net to give Alaska Anchorage a 2-0 lead on Saturday night. UAA’s Nicolas Erb-Ekholm was given credit for both goals. According to Brad Schlossman, the two own goals gave UND four in its last four games."

Those weren't empty net own goals, however. Those were the type of goals where it goes in off your own Dman's skate. I assume. Otherwise 4 in 4 games is utterly insane. IINM Cornell has benefited from only 1 en own goal in the 38 years I have been a fan. (Dave Crombeen at RPI 3/1/86)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 12:36PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: November 28, 2018 10:17AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
marty

Those weren't empty net own goals, however. Those were the type of goals where it goes in off your own Dman's skate. I assume. Otherwise 4 in 4 games is utterly insane. IINM Cornell has benefited from only 1 en own goal in the 38 years I have been a fan. (Dave Crombeen at RPI 3/1/86)

The game is back here. Watch from about 18:30on the YouTube clip to see the play develop. At 20:00 you can see the replay showing the whole ice view. The announcer called it a deflection on watching the replay. If so, it might have been off the point defender's stick.

I emailed RPI TV about the music problem and their reply a day or two ago was that RPI TV had requested that YouTube strip the music out of the video so that it could be restored. I didn't know that YouTube would take care of this type of request.

Watch from 1:25:30 to see the RPI team self destruct in the last 5 minutes of period 2.twak

Date: December 08, 2018 04:37AM

Princeton lost their 6th straight last night, shut out at home by Arizona State.

Posted by: RichH (---.revip6.asianet.co.th)
Date: December 08, 2018 05:06AM

Trotsky
Princeton lost their 6th straight last night, shut out at home by Arizona State.

After their rough CNY weekend, their last 4 games have been against teams in the top 10 of PWR (#1, 4, 4, 10)

Looks like we can count Kuffner & Véronneau out of the Hobey chase.

Meanwhile QU is having the season we did last year and has 2 of the top 10 goal scorers nationally in Priskie & Tufto.

Date: December 08, 2018 10:22AM

Princeton is a one-line team that was able to catch lightning in a bottle the second half of last year. Their issue has always been a lack of defense and goaltending, strength of schedule aside.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2018 10:33AM

RichH
Trotsky

After their rough CNY weekend, their last 4 games have been against teams in the top 10 of PWR (#1, 4, 4, 10)

Meanwhile QU is having the season we did last year and has 2 of the top 10 goal scorers nationally in Priskie & Tufto.

Q is playing with a lot of confidence. I'll be at the game in Hamden next month, which will be my first time there. Looking forward to it.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2018 02:18PM

scoop85
RichH
Trotsky

Q is playing with a lot of confidence. I'll be at the game in Hamden next month, which will be my first time there. Looking forward to it.
There's nothing to look forward to about going to watch a game at Quinnipiac. The traffic jams leaving the rink are horrible. The loud, canned music they play -- even though there may be two pep bands there -- is annoying. The "sellouts" they always have consist of hundreds of empty seats. If you're lucky, they'll also give out thundersticks to the fans who are there. They have hockey cheerleaders. And of course Pecknold is one of the most despised opposing coaches. Other than that, it's a great atmosphere.

Date: December 08, 2018 04:02PM

dbilmes
scoop85
RichH
Trotsky

There's nothing to look forward to about going to watch a game at Quinnipiac. The traffic jams leaving the rink are horrible. The loud, canned music they play -- even though there may be two pep bands there -- is annoying. The "sellouts" they always have consist of hundreds of empty seats. If you're lucky, they'll also give out thundersticks to the fans who are there. They have hockey cheerleaders. And of course Pecknold is one of the most despised opposing coaches. Other than that, it's a great atmosphere.

But a positive is that you can eat dinner in New Haven, including at one of the overrated-but-still-good pizza places, instead of eating the shit they serve at the arena.

IIRC, the CT & RI Cornell clubs are having some kind of a shindig in conjunction with the game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2018 04:56PM

Swampy
But a positive is that you can eat dinner in New Haven, including at one of the overrated-but-still-good pizza places, instead of eating the shit they serve at the arena.
You really have this one wrong. Best pizza anywhere. Stick to lacrosse.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-25.myvzw.com)
Date: December 08, 2018 09:06PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy

Please don't leave the joint nameless. We've not really visited NH since 06.

And tonight I'll take my pizza with Onion. Yale did, too 3-0.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 09:48PM by marty.

Date: December 08, 2018 10:20PM

Hockey cheerleaders are awesome, even if they don't skate.

Princeton lost again to ASU. That is going to be a tough home pair.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2018 10:50PM

Not sure what is go8mg on with Princeton’s lack of offense - I thought that was supposed to be their threat.

Date: December 09, 2018 10:52AM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy

Al, are you talking about New Haven’s pizza or the arena’s?

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2018 03:56PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
Swampy

The legendary New Haven pizza places are Sally's Apizza, Modern Apizza and Pepe's Pizza. Bar is considered close, but just a notch below them. Most pizza lovers are passionate about their favorite one of the New Haven trio. I'm a huge Modern fan, for example, and will be going there before the Yale game. But on a weekend you have to expect long lines at all of them, so give yourself plenty of time.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2018 09:17PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
You really have this one wrong. Best pizza anywhere.

[www.thedailymeal.com]

Scroll alladaway down.

Date: December 16, 2018 10:39AM

So last night here in Philly, Princeton and Penn State played a game over at Wells Fargo Center (the Flyers arena) and it wound up being a pretty good game. I was able to go last minute because of a friend that works at Princeton and we saw Princeton play poorly for the first period (went down 4-1 and pulled their goaltender early in the 2nd) until they came all the way back to tie in the last 2 minutes of regulation. They even had a breakaway in OT that the Penn State goaltender made a stellar save on. As one can imagine, the place was 90-95% Penn state fans (this city has no shortage of their alumni) and they were quite vocal, although rather tame compared to what we're used to hearing at Lynah.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login