Thursday, December 13th, 2018
Who is this season's most improved player?
Matt Buckles
Jeff Kubiak
Alex Rauter
Trevor Yates

Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ILDN is gone

Posted by upprdeck 
ILDN is gone
Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: April 04, 2018 12:51PM

espn+ takes over

could be a good thing

Re: ILDN is gone
Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: April 04, 2018 12:58PM

upprdeck
espn+ takes over

could be a good thing

Guess I'm glad I got to use the ILN app once.

$5 a month = $20 for all of hockey season, and we get access to all Ivy games, not just Cornell's (not to mention all other espn+ content). Sure. I'm optimistic.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2018 12:59PM

upprdeck
espn+ takes over

could be a good thing

Assuming we'll be able to sub and unsub at will without it being any kind of long-term commitment, and as long as there's no degradation of video and camera-work quality (hoping for improvement might be too much), that'd be a very good thing.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-20.myvzw.com)
Date: April 04, 2018 01:26PM

Maybe I missed it but did it say every hockey game will be on here? I saw every football game mentioned.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2018 01:29PM

CU2007
Maybe I missed it but did it say every hockey game will be on here? I saw every football game mentioned.
You didn't miss it but hockey's probably safe. The Ivy sports hierarchy:

1. Nobody cares
2. Football
3. Still nobody caring
4. See 3
5. Hockey
6. Basektball
7. Nothing else
8. No, not even what you were thinking of

But one good thing about being in the Upper Class Twit of the Year Conference is there will always be somebody trying to sell us the kind of asshole ads you see on The Masters.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 01:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-20.myvzw.com)
Date: April 04, 2018 01:34PM

Trotsky
CU2007
You didn't miss it but hockey's probably safe. The Ivy sports hierarchy:

1. Nobody cares
2. Football
3. Still nobody caring
4. See 3
5. Hockey
6. Basektball
7. Nothing else
8. No, not even what you were thinking of

But one good thing about being in the Upper Class Twit of the Year Conference is there will always somebody trying to sell us the kind of asshole ads you see on The Masters.

This made me laugh, but I have an uncomfortable feeling that they will pick up a good chunk of the games, but leave out others with no one there to fill the gap. The optimist would say “Cornell Hockey actually has fans so they’ll show all the games, but they’ve made some reallllllly weird choices with which games they picked up on ESPN3 in the last few years

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: April 04, 2018 01:41PM

CU2007

From [cornellbigred.com]:

Men's and Women's Ice Hockey: Every Ivy League conference-controlled regular season game held at an Ivy League institution arena will be available, with the majority exclusively on ESPN+.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 01:42PM by Weder.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2018 03:13PM

Weder
CU2007

From [cornellbigred.com]:

Men's and Women's Ice Hockey: Every Ivy League conference-controlled regular season game held at an Ivy League institution arena will be available, with the majority exclusively on ESPN+.

Sure. But, given that hockey games are "ECAC Hockey-controlled" and not "Ivy League conference-controlled," what the hell does that mean?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 03:15PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2018 03:15PM

Weder
Every Ivy League conference-controlled regular season game held at an Ivy League institution arena will be available, with the majority exclusively on ESPN+.

What’s an Ivy League conference-controlled regular season game? Does that include games/matches at Cornell against non-Ivy teams that are now carried on ILDN?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: April 04, 2018 03:20PM

so what happens with the games not on ESPN+ is the big question. all home games are IVY controlled but it wouldnt be surprising if the games like rpi/clarkson are still the mix of free and extra payments.

it should be a bit cheaper though for what we have now.

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: April 04, 2018 03:25PM

George64
Weder
Every Ivy League conference-controlled regular season game held at an Ivy League institution arena will be available, with the majority exclusively on ESPN+.

What’s an Ivy League conference-controlled regular season game? Does that include games/matches at Cornell against non-Ivy teams that are now carried on ILDN?

Well, I choose to interpret it this way: "Control" means "to exercise restraint or direction over; dominate; command." If the Ivy League left ECAC Hockey, ECAC Hockey would be up shit's creek. This is in the same sense that an imperial power controls a client state in a banana republic (e.g. Russia in relation to the USA -- or is it still too early to speak of this?). So the Ivy League controls ECAC Hockey. Hence, by the transitive property, all games at Ivy institution arenas will be broadcast.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (72.2.237.---)
Date: April 04, 2018 03:46PM

How about wrestling?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: April 04, 2018 05:33PM

Al DeFlorio
How about wrestling?
good question! ILDN carried a lot of sports that i doubt espn+ will support.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: April 04, 2018 07:42PM

I'd think that ESPN+ would carry whatever the individual schools are willing to provide. They're trying to vacuum up enough content to hit every person out there who will cough up $5/month. The vagueness in the press release probably has to do with differing broadcast capabilities at each school's venues.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2018 11:29PM

Not gone yet, I presume. Any idea when the deal is supposed to take effect? I kept the ILDN subscription with an eye towards SU-CU lax next week, and I haven't received anything from them about the upcoming change.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2018 11:31PM

jtwcornell91
Not gone yet, I presume. Any idea when the deal is supposed to take effect? I kept the ILDN subscription with an eye towards SU-CU lax next week, and I haven't received anything from them about the upcoming change.

I saw somewhere it begins in the fall

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 09:35AM

Parents and family of field hockey or soccer may be annoyed if their sports are not broadcast. Maybe there's a free tier that Cornell provides to be competitive with the more affluent Ivies.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2018 11:01AM

From the Cornell Big Red article.

The expanded live content and enhanced fan experience through ESPN+ will also provide a greater value to Ivy League fans, as they will receive more games and content at a cost less than the current Ivy League Network. For just $4.99 a month, subscribers will get the Ivy League Network (1,100+ games and surrounding programming), MLB, NHL and MLS games, Grand Slam tennis, Top Rank boxing, PGA Tour golf, additional college sports, international rugby, cricket, the full library of ESPN Films (including the award-winning 30 for 30 documentary series) and more.

That seems to imply that everything from ILN, ILDN is old, will be shown.

Time will tell.

My question is what about people whose subscription goes into the 2018-19 season? Do they get some months for free, or a rebate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 11:04AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: marty (---.fttp.usinternet.com)
Date: April 05, 2018 11:12AM

Jim Hyla
From the Cornell Big Red article.

The expanded live content and enhanced fan experience through ESPN+ will also provide a greater value to Ivy League fans, as they will receive more games and content at a cost less than the current Ivy League Network. For just $4.99 a month, subscribers will get the Ivy League Network (1,100+ games and surrounding programming), MLB, NHL and MLS games, Grand Slam tennis, Top Rank boxing, PGA Tour golf, additional college sports, international rugby, cricket, the full library of ESPN Films (including the award-winning 30 for 30 documentary series) and more.

That seems to imply that everything from ILN, ILDN is old, will be shown.

Time will tell.

My question is what about people whose subscription goes into the 2018-19 season? Do they get some months for free, or a rebate?

I'm hoping those on auto renewal don't "buy" another year in July.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 01:24PM

Good afternoon George,

The transition to the Ivy League Network on ESPN next fall will be a great one for the league and the fans! What you currently get on the current ILN will be on the new platform ESPN+. You will also, in that new subscription be able to get additional content that ESPN offers through the new platform coming soon. Whatever we provide and broadcast now from Cornell Home events, they will be offered to the fans just like they have now. You are correct to assume that Big Red Wrestling will be available too!!! As far as a subscription with the current network, the league or current provider will be addressing that once info is available. It will not be an automatic transfer however, since we are moving to a new company. I hope I answered all your questions and look forward to your continued support of the Big Red!

Thank you and Go Big Red!
-John

Sent from my iPhone

John Lukach
Director of Multimedia and Production
Cornell University Athletics
Schoellkopf House
521 Campus Road
Ithaca, NY 14853
O: 607-255-3752
jlukach@cornell.edu

Date: April 06, 2018 01:41PM

Apparently John doesn't realize that we all know exclamation points indicate marketing bullshit!

Posted by: marty (---.midphase.com)
Date: April 06, 2018 03:06PM

Trotsky
Apparently John doesn't realize that we all know exclamation points indicate marketing bullshit!

Paradox or irony, here?!?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 03:35PM

marty
Trotsky

Humor, I think.

Date: April 06, 2018 04:57PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Trotsky

Humor, I think.
Ridicule!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 04:58PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 08:08PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Trotsky

Humor, I think.
Ridicule!

Yeah, I'm not sold.

Posted by: RichH (117.6.85.---)
Date: October 01, 2018 02:32PM

RichH
upprdeck
espn+ takes over

could be a good thing

$5 a month = $20 for all of hockey season, and we get access to all Ivy games, not just Cornell's (not to mention all other espn+ content). Sure. I'm optimistic.

It gets even better.

[www.ecachockey.com]

All ECAC games now included in the espn+ package (except RPI.tv still gets to keep their excellent product) INCLUDING ALL POST-SEASON TOURNAMENT GAMES. My god, the league actually did something...good?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 02:39PM by RichH.

Date: October 01, 2018 02:33PM

RichH
RichH
upprdeck
espn+ takes over

could be a good thing

It gets even better.

[www.ecachockey.com]

All ECAC games now (except RPI.tv still keeps their excellent product). My god, the league actually did something...good?

Give them a chance to fuck it up.

Ya gotta believe.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2018 03:20PM

Trotsky

Give them a chance to fuck it up.

Ya gotta believe.

Here's my post from yesterday on the Football thread:

George64
I watched the game on ESPN+ and it seemed that there were many commercial breaks. According to box scores, the SHU game ran for 3:10 and last week's Yale game ran 3:15. In contrast, the first two games on IDN last year, Colgate and Bucknell, ran for 2:41 and 2:36, respectively. Presumably, the many and lengthy commercials accounted for the extra 34 minutes per game. I hope that this trend doesn't continue into hockey season as annoying commercial timeouts affect the flow of the game and provide a break for less well conditioned teams, not to mention that fans will get home later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login