Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Baseless Speculation

Posted by LynahFaithful 
Baseless Speculation
Posted by: LynahFaithful (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2018 04:26PM

Is it possible we could have a new coach this coming year? Schafer's youngest child is graduating from Cornell this spring and this might be the time for him to retire...

I'm NOT saying it's going to happen, but all things considered, I could see it happen.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 06:23PM by Beeeej.

Re: 2018-19 Schedule
Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2018 04:35PM

LynahFaithful
Is it possible we could have a new coach this coming year? Schafer's youngest child is graduating from Cornell this spring and this might be the time for him to retire...

I'm NOT saying it's going to happen, but all things considered, I could see it happen.

Would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't come back next year, given that we are going to begin the season as legitimate national title contenders.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2018 04:37PM

LynahFaithful

Schafer's youngest child is Michelle, who is a sophomore at Penn State.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-147.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2018 04:52PM

LynahFaithful

I can’t believe that this is even thought about, say nothing about posting after the team played their hearts out and could have won.

It seems every year there’s discussion about Schafer, but couldn’t we at least wait till the team gets back home?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-70-209-147.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2018 08:59PM

From CHN article “Not the Same Bitter Defeat for Cornell”,Schafer quote:

““Disappointed? I mean 25 wins. We’re in the NCAA’s, so I got a job for a couple more years, hopefully,” he joked. “Things are good.”

Sounds like he’s staying :)

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2018 09:47PM

Jim Hyla
From CHN article “Not the Same Bitter Defeat for Cornell”,Schafer quote:

““Disappointed? I mean 25 wins. We’re in the NCAA’s, so I got a job for a couple more years, hopefully,” he joked. “Things are good.”

Sounds like he’s staying :)

Unless A.N. decides to fire him and hire the hockey-equivalent of Matt Kerwick.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2018 09:51PM

Spoke to a cornell staffer at the game who said that Schaefer is apparently looking at a trip to play ASU next Christmas time.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2018 09:56PM

abmarks
Spoke to a cornell staffer at the game who said that Schaefer is apparently looking at a trip to play ASU next Christmas time.
that's terrible for the ooc but not bad for avoiding the winter in ithaca.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2018 10:17PM

ugarte
abmarks
that's terrible for the ooc but not bad for avoiding the winter in ithaca.

ASU is making strides. Next year I can see them getting to .500 or so

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2018 12:43AM

abmarks
Oh fuck yes.

Edit: BTW, this is Greg, not Anne. I think you knew that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 12:44AM by Anne 85.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.nwtw.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2018 07:58AM

Anne 85
abmarks
Oh fuck yes.

Well, Anne is such a potty mouth. dribble

Date: March 25, 2018 12:46PM

Anne 85
abmarks
Oh fuck yes.

Suspended4Truth

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2018 01:48PM

Anne 85
abmarks
Oh fuck yes.

That's what you get for using Arabic to encrypt your password.

Adoration of Schafer from The Sun
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2018 11:50PM

Re: Adoration of Schafer from The Sun
Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2018 07:58AM

I disagree with Mr Linsey on this one.. Retired jersey's are to honor one's accomplishments as a player. I watched all of Mike's home games and some road games... I can say that, from a fan's perspective, he was a very solid defenseman and clearly a leader on his teams. I believe they won one ECAC title during his time on The Hill. None of this is the makings of a outstanding playing career, just a very solid playing career. And, he is obviously a very solid person, off the ice!!

As a coach, I have criticized him in the not-to-distant past. But, the play of the 2017-18 team has shown that Mike is, indeed, able to change with the times and has his team playing a style that involves more skating & skill... Love it!! Couple this with his past accomplishments as coach and it's clear that Mike deserves some great honor to be bestowed by the University, just not the uniform retirement.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2018 08:38AM

redice
I disagree with Mr Linsey on this one.. Retired jersey's are to honor one's accomplishments as a player. I watched all of Mike's home games and some road games... I can say that, from a fan's perspective, he was a very solid defenseman and clearly a leader on his teams. I believe they won one ECAC title during his time on The Hill. None of this is the makings of a outstanding playing career, just a very solid playing career. And, he is obviously a very solid person, off the ice!!

As a coach, I have criticized him in the not-to-distant past. But, the play of the 2017-18 team has shown that Mike is, indeed, able to change with the times and has his team playing a style that involves more skating & skill... Love it!! Couple this with his past accomplishments as coach and it's clear that Mike deserves some great honor to be bestowed by the University, just not the uniform retirement.

Spot on. Silly to retire his jersey, which should be reserved for an all-time great PLAYER. Schafer deserves to be honored for his coaching success, not for an excellent but not spectacular playing career.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2018 09:09AM

I'm not arguing this matter one way or the other, but there are obvious examples where retiring a jersey has not been "reserved for an all-time great player:" Red Auerbach, Casey Stengel, Walter Alston, Tommy LaSorda. There are others but I'm not going to bother looking them up.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-15.myvzw.com)
Date: May 04, 2018 10:39AM

Al DeFlorio
I'm not arguing this matter one way or the other, but there are obvious examples where retiring a jersey has not been "reserved for an all-time great player:" Red Auerbach, Casey Stengel, Walter Alston, Tommy LaSorda. There are others but I'm not going to bother looking them up.

Joe Torre

I think he deserves it. Hard to find people who have had such a sustained, profound impact on Cornell Hockey. I suspect he will be eternally honored in some form a few after he stops coaching - but I don’t know that it will be with his jersey retired.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2018 02:23PM

It would be a well deserved honor for Mike to have a banner in the rafters with his name on it, doesn't have to be a jersey but a banner non the less

Posted by: coz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2018 08:41PM

I just have trouble with calling Schafer the greatest coach in Cornell history. Titles matter and Harkness had 2 even if he was only here for 7 years.

Posted by: RichH (159.192.223.---)
Date: May 04, 2018 10:34PM

Jebus. Unretire the numbers. Have a “Wall of Honor” on the western end. Or a “Red Rafter of Glory.” Or something similar. This isn’t hard.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2018 10:56PM

RichH
Jebus. Unretire the numbers. Have a “Wall of Honor” on the western end. Or a “Red Rafter of Glory.” Or something similar. This isn’t hard.
This is the correct answer. Retired numbers are stupid.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (110.8.254.---)
Date: May 05, 2018 04:13AM

Trotsky
RichH

+1

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 12:21PM

Al DeFlorio
I'd argue it. What do you retire: Schafer's jersey? The stick he broke over his head to fire up the team as an undergrad? One of the suits he wore behind the bench - it isn't a trademark like Bear Bryant's hat or Red Auerbach's cigar. (Remember the joke about the shopkeeper with a big clock in the window, the customer comes in to get his watch repaired, the shopkeeper says I'm a mohel, the customer says why is a clock in the window, the mohel says, "So, you want I should put what in the window then?";)

Date: May 05, 2018 12:23PM

RichH
Cultural appropriation. That was used during the Battle of Stalingrad.

Date: May 05, 2018 12:42PM

RichH

RPI got this (half) right. Instead of retiring numbers they have a "Ring of Honor". If I remember correctly they don't necessarily add to it every year. Their only mistake was the color. I wasn't a Crayola maven and hence can't tell you the color of the banners. Whatever the bizarre orange-red cloth used, it in no way matches the uniforms.

RPI includes Harkness in their ring and it's surely appropriate to consider Ned and Mike for an honor. Much as I think that Union made a Messa their Achilles of a rink, I can't ignore the Red Berenson script on the ice at Yost.

We'll think of something.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 12:48PM

billhoward
What do you retire:

Clipboard.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 06:43PM

marty
RPI includes Harkness in their ring and it's surely appropriate to consider Ned and Mike for an honor. Much as I think that Union made a Messa their Achilles of a rink, I can't ignore the Red Berenson script on the ice at Yost.

I believe we have a Cornell hockey HOF.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 07:23PM

Trotsky
RichH

Of course. What better honor, or stick to beat someone with, would there be than wearing #25?

"Oh, you're Nieuwendyk, then? Better score, kid."

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 09:45PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
RichH

Of course. What better honor, or stick to beat someone with, would there be than wearing #25?

"Oh, you're Nieuwendyk, then? Better score, kid."

This.

Does Schafer still make players research someone who had their jersery number? Kinda dumb then to take away some of the best ones.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: May 05, 2018 10:40PM

Trotsky
marty

I believe we have a Cornell hockey HOF.

RPI displays the ROH banners similarly to retired number displays. They also have an athletic HOF.

Date: May 06, 2018 07:55AM

We're long overdue for something like that to honor Ned at Lynah... I like it!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2018 08:12AM

redice

Like the Harkness Room?

Date: May 06, 2018 10:40AM

ACM
redice

Like the Harkness Room?

I am aware of that, Arthur.... But, something on/near the ice surface, visible during games would be nice.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2018 05:01PM

redice
ACM
redice

Like the Harkness Room?

I am aware of that, Arthur.... But, something on/near the ice surface, visible during games would be nice.

How about a recording during games: "Check, check, check, ... "?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: May 07, 2018 12:18PM

i will never understand why people get so wound up about some pedantic understanding of an issue that has no fixed definition.

opposition to retiring numbers generally makes sense to me even though i don't agree with it (except in the nfl where numbers are actually a scarce resource because of position-related number rules). foot-stomping opposition to a former team captain and long-time successful coach getting his number retired as part of a way to honor his overall commitment to and success at the school does not.

The Cowboys retired Landry's fedora. The Celtics retired Auerbach's cigar. The Lakers retired Hearn's mic. Schafer doesn't have an iconic image... but he does have a uniform number. If you want to retire his blood pressure I suppose that would also be OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 12:20PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2018 12:22PM

ugarte
i will never understand why people get so wound up about some pedantic understanding of an issue that has no fixed definition.

opposition to retiring numbers generally makes sense to me even though i don't agree with it (except in the nfl where numbers are actually a scarce resource because of position-related number rules). foot-stomping opposition to a former team captain and long-time successful coach getting his number retired as part of a way to honor his overall commitment to and success at the school does not.

The Cowboys retired Landry's fedora. The Celtics retired Auerbach's cigar. The Lakers retired Hearn's mic. Schafer doesn't have an iconic image... but he does have a uniform number. If you want to retire his blood pressure I suppose that would also be OK.

Perhaps his stick curvature calipers?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 07, 2018 12:40PM

Beeeej
ugarte

Perhaps his stick curvature calipers?
Telling my son about Billy Martin, George Brett and the pine tar game was one of the most fun things I've gotten to do as a parent. Someday I'll get to tell him about this.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: May 07, 2018 01:27PM

ugarte

Since we have, and Schafer wants, limited numbers to pick from, we can't retire too many or we won't have them for players.

Date: May 07, 2018 02:36PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte

Since we have, and Schafer wants, limited numbers to pick from, we can't retire too many or we won't have them for players.

I think we can all agree that it is getting out of hand. [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: May 07, 2018 05:25PM

If you don't want to retire jersey numbers then we should honor the folks with something very permanent....like stone monuments in the outfield of an historic building like Yankee Stadium. That will be there forever.:-D

Date: May 07, 2018 05:32PM

Roy 82
If you don't want to retire jersey numbers then we should honor the folks with something very permanent....like stone monuments in the outfield of an historic building like Yankee Stadium. That will be there forever.:-D

Yes. We could put the monuments on the ice behind the west net. Would make quite the home ice advantage.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: May 07, 2018 07:10PM

marty
Roy 82

Yes. We could put the monuments on the ice behind the west net. Would make quite the home ice advantage.

I've wanted to put up a statue of Ned near the student entrance to Lynah and name the ice for Schafer. I've started some discussion about the statue, not with the ice. Statue would be nice for 2020 anniversary of 1970, and could honor Schafer at same time.

Date: May 07, 2018 07:31PM

Jim Hyla

I've wanted to put up a statue of Ned near the student entrance to Lynah and name the ice for Schafer. I've started some discussion about the statue, not with the ice. Statue would be nice for 2020 anniversary of 1970, and could honor Schafer at same time.

+1

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2018 08:14PM

redice
Jim Hyla

+1

+2

Date: May 07, 2018 08:22PM

marty
Roy 82
,,, and to carry the analogy further along, there'd be a momument to the athletic directors at the time of Harkness and Schafer, and if it's anything like the Steinbrenner graven image, it'd tower over the players / coaches.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: May 07, 2018 09:23PM

But the Schaefer Beer sign towers above all....oh the irony (ignoring spelling guide).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2018 11:19PM

toddlose
redice
Jim Hyla

+1

+2
+ me

Re: Baseless Speculation
Date: June 01, 2018 01:51PM

I wasn't sure where to put this but since this thread is about Schafer this will work.

[www.espn.com]

Has him listed with Hastings, Bazin, and Jackson as among the best options to go from college to pros. I doubt he'd leave but it was interesting.

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2018 01:53PM

Trotsky
toddlose
redice
Jim Hyla

+1

+2
+ me

+3

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2018 02:05PM

University of Boston? wtf

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2018 02:25PM

coz
I wasn't sure where to put this but since this thread is about Schafer this will work.

[www.espn.com]

Has him listed with Hastings, Bazin, and Jackson as among the best options to go from college to pros. I doubt he'd leave but it was interesting.

I'm not so sure. Schafer on a few occasions has expressed interest in someday coaching in the pros, and while I'm sure he'd prefer to leave with a NC under his belt, given that he's now 54 or so, I think if an NHL team came calling he'd have to take a shot.

Re: Baseless Speculation - Fact-checkless writing
Date: June 01, 2018 04:04PM

Rob Vollman for ESPN
As for Quinn, he spent the past five seasons at the University of Boston, where he succeeded one of the greatest coaches of all time, Jack Parker. His highlight was 2014-15, when Jack Eichel won the Hobey Baker and the Terriers made the national championship game.

Re: Baseless Speculation - Fact-checkless writing
Posted by: Give My Regards (98.159.213.---)
Date: June 01, 2018 06:02PM

billhoward
Rob Vollman for ESPN
As for Quinn, he spent the past five seasons at the University of Boston, where he succeeded one of the greatest coaches of all time, Jack Parker. His highlight was 2014-15, when Jack Eichel won the Hobey Baker and the Terriers made the national championship game.

Could have been worse. They could have had Quinn spending the past five seasons at "Boston College", which would not be the first time that confusion has come up.

Date: June 01, 2018 11:55PM

Yeah it's not great but again just thought it was interesting that they were even bringing Schafer up.

Date: June 02, 2018 08:25AM

scoop85
coz

[www.espn.com]

I'm not so sure. Schafer on a few occasions has expressed interest in someday coaching in the pros, and while I'm sure he'd prefer to leave with a NC under his belt, given that he's now 54 or so, I think if an NHL team came calling he'd have to take a shot.
I think if an NHL team came calling he'd have to check if his refrigerator was running.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login